No announcement yet.

Tranexamic Acid Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just letting you know that this is on pause for now. I was hospitalized with neurological symptoms (not believed to have been caused by the tranexamic acid) and taken off all the medications I was on. I've been discharged and I'm fine, but I'm not on tranexamic acid anymore and will probably not go back on it until February 2019 at the earliest. Whenever I do though I will update with how it goes. In the meantime I'm just using the topicals I was already on (metrogel and OTC things). Sorry folks.

Comment

I wonder if anyone else has tried this treatment?

I think the research has been around for quite a while - I recall seeing a study dated 2003 - so I am surprised more of us haven't tried it, particularly as it seems to be a gentle and cheap treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by dryad View Post
        Just letting you know that this is on pause for now. I was hospitalized with neurological symptoms (not believed to have been caused by the tranexamic acid) and taken off all the medications I was on. I've been discharged and I'm fine, but I'm not on tranexamic acid anymore and will probably not go back on it until February 2019 at the earliest. Whenever I do though I will update with how it goes. In the meantime I'm just using the topicals I was already on (metrogel and OTC things). Sorry folks.
        I'm sorry to hear that. Looking forward to your updates! Also I wanted to ask you: did your dermatologist tell you why she gave you an oral prescription instead of the topical one referenced in the study?
        Last edited by TomatoGeneral; 1 December 2018, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TomatoGeneral View Post
          I'm sorry to hear that. Looking forward to your updates! Also I wanted to ask you: did your dermatologist tell you why she gave you an oral prescription instead of the topical one referenced in the study?
          Hi TG, she didn't tell me that in particular, when I talked to her, I didn't know about TEA at all so I didn't know to ask her 'why oral vs. topical?'. I do know that she is colleagues with the authors of that study, they are all affiliated with the same hospital and they surely talk to each other. I will see her in early January and talk to her about it again, but my guess is that the study authors have more up-to-date info than the published paper which usually lag behind research by some time.

Comment

Tranexamic acid tablets are available over the counter in the UK and most of Europe(Cyklo-F - 500mg around £8). Would crushing this tablet in to a fine dust with water
            to apply on face have the same effect? Or is their a better way to make a topical using the tablets.

Comment

Originally posted by Mknlvi View Post
              Tranexamic acid tablets are available over the counter in the UK and most of Europe(Cyklo-F - 500mg around £8). Would crushing this tablet in to a fine dust with water
              to apply on face have the same effect? Or is their a better way to make a topical using the tablets.
              Decide what concentration you want and have a compounding pharmacist make it into a topical for you. I imagine that you would want to dilute it by an enormous amount given how dilute topicals usually are, but if you are trying to mimic the scientific study, I would tell the compounding pharmacist what you want. I would not risk this sort of thing at home unless you're a trained chemist or the like.

Comment

I'm interested if anyone has had success taking the oral tablets of t. acid. I'm still concerned it will cause clotting of the blood vessels and further flushing.

Comment

Originally posted by antwantsclear View Post
                  I'm interested if anyone has had success taking the oral tablets of t. acid. I'm still concerned it will cause clotting of the blood vessels and further flushing.
                  Happy to be your guinea pig in a few months if you can be patient.

Comment

Originally posted by Mknlvi View Post
                    I have mentioned this previously - tranexamic acid powder (pure stuff, no need to mess around crushing tablets and then removing insoluble residues) is available from eBay UK - just search for tranexamic acid.

Comment

Originally posted by johnabetts View Post
                      I have mentioned this previously - tranexamic acid powder (pure stuff, no need to mess around crushing tablets and then removing insoluble residues) is available from eBay UK - just search for tranexamic acid.
                      I'm trying this now. If it's not too much trouble, can you post any guidance on how to properly make the 3% solution used in some of the published studies? I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly but understand if you don't want to post about this.

Edited: actually, I see another study is using 500 mg of TA in 5 ML of water, so I guess it's just a matter of getting something that can measure that small of a weight and volume accurately.
                      Last edited by jrlhamcat2; 26 December 2018, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by antwantsclear View Post
                        This analysis of 561 patients in Singapore shows oral tranexamic acid is helpful for melasma, so it seems plausible that it could help rosacea as well. However, it recommends being screened for clotting risks before taking oral TA as one patient (later found to have a genetic abnormality related to clotting) had a deep vein thrombosis.

From other papers it seems topical TA does end up in the blood and urine as well, but at much lower levels than oral, and i couldn't find any reports of a DVT from topical TA. The reported adverse effects, at least for the concentrations used in the dermatological studies, seem to be limited to skin irritation or dryness.
                        Last edited by jrlhamcat2; 26 December 2018, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrlhamcat2 View Post
                          I'm trying this now. If it's not too much trouble, can you post any guidance on how to properly make the 3% solution used in some of the published studies? I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly but understand if you don't want to post about this.

Edited: actually, I see another study is using 500 mg of TA in 5 ML of water, so I guess it's just a matter of getting something that can measure that small of a weight and volume accurately.
                          Is there a reason you're not asking a pharmacist to compound this for you?

Comment

Originally posted by dryad View Post
                            Is there a reason you're not asking a pharmacist to compound this for you?
                            Is that something an ordinary person with no medical position can request in the US? I should look into it. I suspect they won't be happy with me bringing them a powder I bought on ebay.
                            Last edited by jrlhamcat2; 26 December 2018, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Another clinical paper just released on TXA says, "Finally, TXA repressed the angiogenesis by reducing the number of CD31+ cell and downregulating the expression levels of VEGF in rosacea. In conclusion, our finding defines a treatment mechanism by which TXA ameliorates rosacea symptoms by regulating the immune response and angiogenesis."

Int Immunopharmacol. 2018 Dec 19;67:326-334
                              Tranexamic acid ameliorates rosacea symptoms through regulating immune response and angiogenesis.
                              Li Y, Xie H, Deng Z, Wang B, Tang Y, Zhao Z, Yuan X, Zuo Z, Xu S, Zhang Y, Li J
                              Brady Barrows
                              Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Originally posted by jrlhamcat2 View Post
                                Is that something an ordinary person with no medical position can request in the US? I should look into it. I suspect they won't be happy with me bringing them a powder I bought on ebay.
                                You'd have better luck if you ordered it through them, I imagine.

Comment

Working...
                                X