Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could a 15 year old develop rosacea almost overnight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• redfacegirl
    replied
    Welcome to the forum! Sadly, yes 15 year olds can get rosacea. I'm 16 years old now but rosacea and seb derm started for me when I was 14. I can relate, I woke up one morning a week before Christmas in 2012 with burning cheeks. Turns out I developed rosacea and seb derm even though I never knew either of those skin conditions existed. I'm sorry this is happening to you but at least you found this forum! Do any skin conditions at all run in your family? I used elidel before and didn't find it to be helpful. When I first realized something was happening to my skin the first thing that came up online was rosacea. I told my family and friends about it but no one believed me when I said I think I have it. Even though I did end up having rosacea I learned that the internet makes you think you have all different kinds of things wrong with you. Could your stress level or diet be causing this? I know both of those play a role in my skin problems. I haven't found much that helps my rosacea besides eating healthy, keeping my stress level under control and avoiding triggers which is difficult because basically everything bothers my skin. You might want to try not putting anything on your skin for a bit and see what happens. I made the mistake of putting way too many creams on my skin before I really knew that much about rosacea. If your derm tries giving you any type of steroid cream don't use it, steroid creams just cause more problems. I hope things get better! you can message me if you ever need to talk

Leave a comment:

• brianna_g
    replied
    Originally posted by Njac View Post
    My dermatologist claims it is a rash and my mom thinks it's an allergic reaction to something. I researched every type of rash in the world and nothing describes how it feels or looks. I also haven't used any lotions or weird creams on my face right before this whole thing started. I looked up my symptoms and came across rosacea. The symptoms are spot on, burning sensation and very, very red. My dermatologist, doctor, or allergist never mentioned rosacea and I've read that many teens are told that it isn't rosacea, when it turns out it is.
    I developed rosacea at a young age and so did my sister. I only have sub-type 1, but my sister has sub-type 2 (which is mistaken for acne in some cases). I am not a doctor so I can't really say whether or not you have rosacea. However, I can tell you that my sister developed bad acne around your age and they didn't diagnose her with rosacea until years later. I would recommend getting a second opinion from another dermatologist.

It could just be an allergic reaction of some kind, so please don't think I am saying you have rosacea. Nevertheless, your story sounds a lot like my sister's and I would have given her the same advice if I was more aware back then. So, go see another physician for some new insight and hopefully you will get some answers to your distress. In the meantime, try to calm down and not stress too much! This isn't good for your skin regardless of what condition it is. And don't put anything irritating on your face! Wait until you see another doctor.

I hope everything works out for you!

Leave a comment:

• Incognito84
    replied
    I've had rosy cheeks as a teenager as well but no pustules/pimples/acne etc…

They say rosacea is more common later on in life but these days the more I read, the more I see that the medical community say that age and ethnic background don't matter. I'm not saying what you have is rosacea but I'd double check just to be safe.

Leave a comment:

• Njac
    started a topic Could a 15 year old develop rosacea almost overnight?

Could a 15 year old develop rosacea almost overnight?

Ok, so I'm a 15 year old girl with fair skin and light-ish hair. I have Irish/Swedish/Norwegian descent. I never really had trouble with my skin at all. I never got acne, never really got sunburned (even without sunscreen) and I didn't consider my skin really sensitive.

I live in Seattle and of course it's always rainy and gray here. In May we received amazing sunshine that lasted about a week. Temperatures reached into the 80's and I spent a fair amount of time outside. I was tanning with my face towards the sun and never got burned. After about a week of this weather I woke up with red cheeks. I assumed it was a sunburn so I tried all kinds of different remedies (apple cider vinegar, aloe, lotions, black tea etc.), day by day it got worse and worse and by the next week my cheeks, nose and chin were tomato red, severely dry and I felt as if I was on fire because of how hot it was.

We saw an allergist who told me that it was a rash and to see a doctor. We saw my doctor who gave me desonide and told me to use it with vaseline. I applied desonide twice a day with globs of vaseline and my face was perfect within a week. I used the desonide for about six weeks after because whenever it was not on my face I would feel it get warm, dry and tomato red again. I started getting acne from the desonide so I used benzoyl peroxide on the acne spots. The bumps went away but it left bright red marks in the places where I put the benzoyl peroxide. I put desonide on the spots thinking it was the rash coming back, but the spots grew and spread and returned to how it was in the beginning, hot, dry and very red. I went to the dermatologist and she thought I had an unknown rash in which the desonide backfired.

Now I'm on elidel to get me off of the desonide. That along with benedryl is kind of helping but not really. Sometimes I'm completely fine, looking normal with no heat (getting out of the shower, using ice pack) and out of nowhere I just explode with burning redness within minutes.

My dermatologist claims it is a rash and my mom thinks it's an allergic reaction to something. I researched every type of rash in the world and nothing describes how it feels or looks. I also haven't used any lotions or weird creams on my face right before this whole thing started. I looked up my symptoms and came across rosacea. The symptoms are spot on, burning sensation and very, very red. My dermatologist, doctor, or allergist never mentioned rosacea and I've read that many teens are told that it isn't rosacea, when it turns out it is.

I'm really scared because I haven't left the fan in my room in weeks just to avoid going out in public. I'm also scared that I used too much desonide that it permanently damaged my skin. Does this sound like a rash, an allergic reaction that I developed out of nowhere, or the early stages of rosacea? I had perfect and flawless skin less than 2 months ago and now I can't leave my house... Please please help me...
Working...
X