Melbourne doctors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brand names

It is so confusing when people recommend different lasers or IPL's to treat rosacea. I have seen several dermatologists who I figure must be the experts - I'm scared of non-medical people treating my skin with powerful machines and have heard some scary stories about complications and scars - I'd rather have my rosacea! One thing I have learnt is that many companies make these machines and if the IPL is in the hands of a good doctor, the brand name is irrelevent ( do you use Colgate or MacLeans?). Philip Bekhor is my doctor - he has an IPL and several different lasers which he uses. He started me on oral antibiotics and once the inflammation and burning settled he started the laser ( V-beam) and may use IPL. I also use Cetaphil and Steiva cream to help repair my skin barrier. He says that the inserts and warnings that come with the box are over-kill. I guess if I can't trust a doctor who even uses laser on newborn babies with birthmarks, who can I trust? I am improving with Philip Bekhors treatment. His clinic is called Laser Dermatology in Box Hill.

Comment

Hi saloncanning
      I also worried when I see some people saying that their whole face has been burn and will have to leave with that..

I haven't seen Philip Bekhor because I am currently in New Caledonia but I will stay in Melbourne during 3 years but I envisage to see him in July.
      In New Caledonia there is only a UK brand IPL and I have never heard of this one for rosacea treatment so I am reluctant!!

you should read the Doctor Soldo's thread on laser treatments. He believes that luminous is the best due to its multiple capacities.
      He also recommends to be treated by a dermatologist that has some experience with his IPL even though he doesn't use the luminous one rather to be treated by a dermatologist who has hardly some experience with luminous one.

Comment

Melbourne dermatologists with previous patient testimonials

Guys could I pls have your thoughts and feedback re the availability of previous patient's feedback and/or before and after photos for new patients to view who are considering laser treatment.

BACKGROUND:
        I've been recommended Gemini & VBeam treatment for poikiloderma of the neck, telangiectasis (sides of nose) and general rosacea redness by Dr Goodman (Dermatology Institure of Victoria - www.div.net.au).
        I've done ALOT of reading & research (on this and other forums) and my conclusion is that this treatment should not be taken that lightly especially as its "optional" therefore I am VERY hesitant to go through with it.

Because of this I would like to talk to patients who have had this proceedure and/or see some before and after photos so I can evaluate the risk/reward factors. However I have been told that this is not possible\available and that this proceedure is all very routine.

QUESTIONS:
        My questions are:
        1) Do you think I am being over anxious and just go through with it?
        2) Am I being unrealistic asking to talk to and/or see previous patient results?

Re (2) above - I know that if I had a sucessful outcome I would be VERY happy to recommend it to others especially who like me may be very anxious about it, so I can't understand why they don't have any previous patients who would do this.

Your thoughts?

Comment

There are many feedback in other threads about post-laser treatments and some of them are pretty happy with them but some of them say laser ruined their skin( very few though). Greg Goodman is probably one of the best in Melbourne and I think he treats rosacea patient thoroughly. I wanted to make an appointment with him but I changed my mind because i prefer to fix something before .
          good luck

Comment

Some type of feedback from previous patients

Hi guishome, thanks for your reply.
            As you said Laser treatment outcomes don't seem to be predictable... I'm happy to go thru any amount of pain and downtime if the outcome was predictable eg like a filing for a tooth... hopefully sometime in the future this will be the case but at the moment my research suggests that this is NOT the case. Hence the best I can do to address my concerns is to talk to patients who have had the proposed laser treatment.

Doesn't it seem strange that patient testimonials are NOT available for new patients considering the same laser treatments?

Comment

I know this thread is old but I'm in Melbourne.

I saw a dermatologist in Clifton Hill a few years ago, Barbara Breadon, because I had random cystic acne. Not pattern to it, up to 10-15 breakouts at a time. I had no other skin conditions at the time. She wanted to get me on Roaccutane and have chemical peels

Instead, a naturopath put me on premular to help with my hormones and I stopped consuming all soy which was messing with my hormones. Problem cleared up like magic.

Comment

Dr philip bekhor

I have seen Dr Philip Bekhor,(Melbourne), couple of times for Rosacea for which I was treated with Roaccutane, successfully back in 2006. The last time I saw him was in 2009. I have had laser treatment with v-beam laser for mild Rosacea which was performed by nurse. Dr Bekhor did not perfrom the laser treatment on the 3 occasions that I had visited the clinic. He recruits nurses to perform the laser. Dr Bekhor is expensive and rushed as he has too many patients to attend to. I did not get anything back from Medicare. I have to say that he is overrated and not worth the wait. The receptionists at Dr Philip Bekhor's clinic can be abrupt at times. Since then I have found a dermatologist who performs the laser treatments and I was able to claim back from Medicare.

Comment

Originally posted by ROSA FREE View Post
                  I have seen Dr Philip Bekhor,(Melbourne), couple of times for Rosacea for which I was treated with Roaccutane, successfully back in 2006. The last time I saw him was in 2009. I have had laser treatment with v-beam laser for mild Rosacea which was performed by nurse. Dr Bekhor did not perfrom the laser treatment on the 3 occasions that I had visited the clinic. He recruits nurses to perform the laser. Dr Bekhor is expensive and rushed as he has too many patients to attend to. I did not get anything back from Medicare. I have to say that he is overrated and not worth the wait. The receptionists at Dr Philip Bekhor's clinic can be abrupt at times. Since then I have found a dermatologist who performs the laser treatments and I was able to claim back from Medicare.
                  Hi there, Rosa Free!

You say you found someone else? Who was that? I've been to see one of Dr Bekhor's associates and with my VBeam have only been able to claim on the consultation. Interested to hear your story on your treatments, where they were and the results!

Thanks!

Comment

Be careful - your "doctor" may be committing Medicare fraud

Originally posted by Gunnerwinthelot View Post
                    Hi there, Rosa Free!

You say you found someone else? Who was that? I've been to see one of Dr Bekhor's associates and with my VBeam have only been able to claim on the consultation. Interested to hear your story on your treatments, where they were and the results!

Thanks!
                    I have been having my rosacea managed over the years by Dr Bekhor at Laser Dermatology. It was explained to me that Medicare is very strict about item numbers for facial redness because they think it's a cosmetic problem. That is SO unfair but he is not prepared to break the law to give me a fee that gets me money back. That is one of the reasons he has trained registered nurses to do the treatments - apart from them being very experienced it keeps the cost down. I Know it's a busy clinic but it's busy because he is good at what he does. I'm very happy with Dr Bekhor and his team.

Comment

Working...
                    X