Vitamin D3 and Rosacea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamin D3 and Rosacea

I've been researching a lot on Vitamin D3 and many people seem to think it may help with Rosacea.

Has anyone on the forum been supplementing with Vitamin D3 and if so, what were the results?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Hi Joel,
    Here are some threads you may find interesting.

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...t=cathelicidin

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...hlight=vitamin

Best wishes,
    Melissa

Comment

Does anyone know if anyone barring iDan has had such significant improvements through the supplementation of high doses of Vitamin D3.

I can't find any mention of others.
      Previous Numerous IPL.
      Supplements: High dose Niacinamide, Vit K2, low dose Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Mod- dose B's. Low dose zinc. Testing Quercetin.

Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
      Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
      Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
      Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.

Comment

The following keeps whirling around in my brain. Perhaps someone can shed some light on it.

If I recall correctly, the skin of rosacea sufferers show an excessive amount of cathelicidins, all abnormal in nature.
        If supplementing with Vitamin D3 increases the level of cathelicidins, won't they also be abnormal in nature?
        And if they are, how will they be able to perform their function properly?

So many questions.......so few answers.

Also, some people have 'rosy' cheeks right from childhood and go on to develop rosacea in their twenties or thirties. Where does a 'heightened' complexion end and rosacea begin?
        Or, is a 'heightened' complexion the perfect setting for the cause of rosacea to set up shop and establish itself? Perhaps a theory might exist that pathogens take advantage of the weakest point/link and in our case, it is the face?

Perhaps this weak point can also be artificially created by the use of irritating topicals etc?

More questions....

If someone has an excessive vasculture to begin with, which could be described as the perfect setting for rosacea, even if vitamin D3 successfully conquers any infection, the excessive vasculature would remain, wouldn't it?

I have read that Vitamin D3 might be useful in the arsenal against cancer as it inhibits angiogenesis. That would be handy in rosacea as well, however, can it decrease what is already established?

I am just voicing my many thoughts as they whirl around in the archives of my brain.
        It would interesting to hear other peoples thoughts as well.
        Last edited by Mistica; 13 May 2009, 11:24 PM.
        Previous Numerous IPL.
        Supplements: High dose Niacinamide, Vit K2, low dose Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Mod- dose B's. Low dose zinc. Testing Quercetin.

Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Comment

Personally I am sceptical about the generality of D3 deficiency as a cause; and Cpn. But I wouldn't mind being proved wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Mistica View Post
            Does anyone know if anyone barring iDan has had such significant improvements through the supplementation of high doses of Vitamin D3.

I can't find any mention of others.
            I am fairly sure that Twickle Purple took it with success??

Comment

Technically speaking aren't a percentage of rosacea patients likely Vitamin D3 deficient to begin with as a large majority of us avoid the sun like a plague??? I can't speak for anyone else but I know personally I get maybe 30 minutes total of sun per week, if that. I do this because I don't want to make the situation worse skin wise, and I turn red from sun on my face very quickly, not to mention the fact that I hate the feeling of sunscreens on my face and they make me breakout.

So I'm 99% sure I'm Vitamin D deprived but would supplementing the deficiency have any affect on my rosacea and its symptoms?? I can't say, but even if not I should probably take it anyway as I get so little sun and therefor so little Vitamin D. Just my perspective.
              Last edited by bluesky; 14 May 2009, 12:15 PM.

Comment

I think Vitamin D3 has a huge central role in our health and so while its deficiency may not be a cause for rosacea it certainly may play an important role as evidenced by Dan's remarkable change and as far as I know Twickle Purple's improvement. Of course there were other factors at play in their health profile so as MediumDog states it is a generalisation and should not be extrapolated from one individual to another. However, I believe that almost everyone can benefit by getting their vit D levels up unless they are already in the desired range. If you read the article courtesy of Dan you will see that the desired level is much higher than previously thought.

Alex, did you read the cpn website? It is very informative and I highly recommend when you have the time to sit down and read it. Lots of info to go over. I also recommend the article Dan linked.
                http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/.fulltext/13/1/6.pdf

Also, lots of great info in the links on this page

http://www.rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosa...t=13556&page=3

Comment

Agreed

Originally posted by bluesky View Post
                  Technically speaking aren't a percentage of rosacea patients likely Vitamin D3 deficient to begin with as a large majority of us avoid the sun like a plague??? I can't speak for anyone else but I know personally I get maybe 30 minutes total of sun per week, if that. I do this because I don't want to make the situation worse skin wise, and I turn red from sun on my face very quickly, not to mention the fact that I hate the feeling of sunscreens on my face and they make me breakout.

So I'm 99% sure I'm Vitamin D deprived but would supplementing the deficiency have any affect on my rosacea and its symptoms?? I can't say, but even if not I should probably take it anyway as I get so little sun and therefor so little Vitamin D. Just my perspective.

Yes it is so important for our overall health that I would suggest everyone get their levels tested or at least take enough supplementation of vit D3.

Comment

Melissa,

Seeing Dan has experienced such an improvement with high dosing of Vitamin D3, do you foresee raising your own levels with higher dosing?
                    Do you know what your serum levels are?
                    I ask you in particular, because if I recall correctly, you didn't suffer any side effects from intial dosing in the low 2000's. (??).

Regarding your comment about Dan and other factors playing in his health profile, ... do you mean he was undertaking other therapies as well? If so, has it been publicly posted as to what they were? If so, can you please direct me to the threads?

Thanks!
                    Previous Numerous IPL.

Comment

Quoting from the article for which Melissa supplied the link,

http://www.thorne.com/altmedrev/.fulltext/13/1/6.pdf

I found the following of interest:

"consumption of pre-formed retinols, even in amounts consumed in mulivitamins, may be causing low grade, but widespread bone toxicity.
                      Vitamin A antagonizes the action of vitamin D, and high retinol intake thwarts Vitamin D's protective effect on distal colorectal adenoma".
                      I wondered if the antagonzing action of 'A' might be an additional reason that oral and topical Vitamin A, such as accutane and Retin-A exacerbate rosacea?
                      Irritation of topical application, aside.

Any thoughts?
                      Previous Numerous IPL.

Comment

Could someone please explain to me, how one successfully copies and pastes selected areas of text from PDF documents?

I can't seem to do it. I can only select everything, as there isn't the copy option when right-clicking, nor does it appear on the EDIT list.

Thanks!
                        Previous Numerous IPL.

Comment

Melissa,

Seeing Dan has experienced such an improvement with high dosing of Vitamin D3, do you foresee raising your own levels with higher dosing?
                          Do you know what your serum levels are?
                          I ask you in particular, because if I recall correctly, you didn't suffer any side effects from intial dosing in the low 2000's. (??).
                          Hi Jenny,

Interestingly enough I was just about to raise my D3 dosing
                          I am currently taking 2800 IU's from supplements and was thinking of going up to 4800 IU's and seeing what happens. I have not tested my levels yet but plan on asking my internist to do so at my annual visit which was due 5 months ago LOL. I will be making an appt sometime this summer. I keep putting it off as I dislike going to the doctor as most of us do.

I have not experienced any side effects from my current supplementation of D3. I will keep you posted.

Best wishes,
                          Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by Mistica View Post

Could someone please explain to me, how one successfully copies and pastes selected areas of text from PDF documents?

I can't seem to do it. I can only select everything, as there isn't the copy option when right-clicking, nor does it appear on the EDIT list.

Thanks!
                            I don't think you can copy and paste from many pdf's. I know I have tried unsuccessfully in the past but you may be able to do so from some. Just not sure. Sorry.

Comment

It's secured to prevent text extracting
                              but try this site - works good to unlock

http://www.ensode.net/pdf-crack.jsf

Comment

Working...
                              X