No announcement yet.

Pyratine-XR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used the Pyratine-6 for three months before I got the Clarisonic brush. I had seen 50 per cent improvement in my skin with the Pyratine-6. Then I started using the brush in the evening and it really prepares your skin for ANY topical to soak in. For 3 more months, I used those 2 things and then added putting the zinc on before going to bed. So, yes, it probably is a combination of those 3 things. Wash face with dove soap and brush, put on Pyratine-6 and then the zinc. That is my total night routine. In the morning, splash face with water, put on Pyratine-6 and a little Almay Nearly Naked Make-up foundation. Unlike every other moisiterizer I have tried, Pyratin-6 does not irritate, clog my pores, make my skin oily--just no problems with it at all.
    Last edited by dallascowgirl; 10 March 2009, 10:35 PM. Reason: rewording

Comment

Interesting update...please read

Hi all,

Thought this would be helpful info re: Pyratine XR. I realize I don't regularly post but I thought this was important. My sister in-law is a Derm. She attended the National Dermatology Conference in San Francisco this past weekend. I asked her to find this product and try to get me the inside scoop - like all of us I am cautiously hopeful of anything new but also skeptical. Here's what she found.

The Pyratine XR booth - was a VERY hard to find tiny booth. There were two women representing the product (she said the ladies seemed a little sketchy - not necessarily important info but I trust my sisters judgement ). Just a few before and after pictures of people who had trialed it for 48 weeks - but NO real data on how the product works and the women wouldn't get into any detail. They would only conditionally commit to give her 6 free samples (enough for the 48 months per patient) BUT the Dr. had to commit to recording results of their patients (data and pictures) through the period of the trial and report back to the company. If the Dr. didn't want to commit to the following though on data gathering they would need to pay $400 + per patient (for an 48 month trial). This product will be sold over the counter only in physician offices (no pharmacies). My sister-in-law was concerned that this company was trying to solicit Doctors to do the research for them for free rather than setting up an actual study where patients are paid. Further she was skeptical that they wouldn't give any free samples (it is $150 per tube!)

She reported that b/c it's over the counter it doesn't have to go though any "real" testing (a lot easier to get approved). Just need to prove that it doesn't harm anyone. It seems to be a glorified anti aging product with natural plant exact ingredients which probably will be ok for many of us to use as most of the ingredients looked fairly benign. But it's hard to say if it will have any effect on rosacea at this point. Her recommendation was to wait a year and not spend the money as it didn't look promising enough and it didn't have enough to back it up that would make it a worth while product at this point. Sorry to burst any bubbles - and again what doesn't work for one may work for another and obviously a few people on this sight have had some luck. The product representation just seemed a little sketchy for me.

Good luck all - hope this helps a few of us to save a few bucks and... Jen

Comment

Thanks Jen - we definitely appreciate your updated. I called Ferndale Labs to inquire about Pyratine XL and if the ingredients were the same or not from the first version (just a higher % of pyratine in the newer version). The representative said she didn't think the formulation changed - just that it's 1.25% of the active pyratine. I agree it's not going to rid the red, acne, or papules. I had the Pyratine lotion and while it didn't break me out, it was about the same as Kinerase. I will probably inquire further to confirm the ingredients but am not too optimistic on it being much different.

Thanks again. It's nice your sister in law is a Derm. Good to be able to ask more questions and such versus seeing someone who only gives you two minutes! Please let us know if you hear of anything else - good to be in the loop.

Yvette

Comment

Thanks very much for the info Jen.

(I wish I had a derm in the family )

Comment

Thanks for posting that wonderful info Jen. I realize that to most the ingredients listed in the product seem benign but for me I reacted to them....and the original product (cream) made my rosacea worse/flare so I will not be trying it and the original was also $150......no sticker shock for me on that price tag.
            Dx 1998

Comment

Glad I could help. Yes Melissa, I am soooo lucky to have a Derm in the family! It's made this dreaded disease a bit easier to deal with.

Comment

Someone who likes Pyratine

I have been reading this forum for over a year, and got inspired to register, cause of all the Pyratine bashing over the last week. I actually like the stuff. Its no miracle cure but I am certainly going to try the XR.

I started using Pyratine last sept or oct, and loved my skin more after only a week or two. There has been a SMALL reduction in P&Ps [I still have them]. Likewise a SMALL reduction in redness [I'm still red]. The BIG difference was in the overall smoothness of my skin. Its still rougher than your average persons, but I'm quite sure that its the smoothest its been since pre-puberty [I'm now 33]. Funnily enough, I wonder whether my spider veins are now more defined now cause my skin is clearer. The other downside is that prolonged use hasn't made my skin any better i.e. the almost immediate improvement has remained but not increased.

This is all very subjective, but i wouldn't like everyone to be put off the product, because its made me feel a lot more confident about my skin.

On the price: $150 over several months, is significantly cheaper than a derm plus prescriptions.

Another thing to consider: I'm quite unversed in the whole rosecea thing, so there may be better products out there! Before reading this forum I didn't even know that i had rosecea, so this is the 1st thing i have tried. [Though my GPs nurse who was a fellow sufferer, diagnosed me, and give me a whole lot of samples about 10 yrs back, the samples made me super red and irritated, and so i threw them out and never thought about it again. As a teenager I had a terrible exp with Retin-A, in which i was taken to hospital wih extreme sun-burn. I took antibiotics on and off in my early 20s. But have remained a bit scared of putting anything on my face except aqueous cream and zinc sunscreen, and even more scared of derms.]

Comment

It may just be me

This stuff sounds like the worlds most expensive moisturizer.

That being said it sounds like a really good moisturizer and if none of the other ones on the market worked (that cost 80-90% less) I would probably try it.

Still it strikes me it is a moisturizer being dressed up as a treatment to justify the outrageous cost. No matter how you slice it $150 per tube is ridiculous unless you can squeeze gold out of it.
                  "Get busy living or get busy dying."

Comment

My first and second tube a year ago cost 130 dollars. The tube I just started using was 118 dollars. If it is the only moisterizer a person can tolerate, I think it is worth the big bucks. I have tried a dozen other ones
                    and wasted my money because after just a few days my face skin would be inflamed. A tube lasts 6 months using it twice a day. And I am not the sort to part easily from my money for such things. Everything else I use, I get at Target or Walmart.

Comment

As we all well aware rosacea is a quirky condition. What helps one, hinders another. To find something that actually works is a relief indeed. $150 for peace of mind might be regarded as very small beer.

Comment

ummm......

Originally posted by GJ View Post
                        As we all well aware rosacea is a quirky condition. What helps one, hinders another. To find something that actually works is a relief indeed. $150 for peace of mind might be regarded as very small beer.
                        Is this a freudian slip or a subliminal message?

Comment

Neither .
                          An expression meaning a trivial, insignificant (amount). A trifle.

Comment

Sorry

Originally posted by GJ View Post
                            Neither .
                            An expression meaning a trivial, insignificant (amount). A trifle.
                            As a Canadian my mind naturally goes to the literal definition.

Of course as a Rosacean I can't have any.

Comment

Since I started the pyratine thread I felt obligated to post info and answer questions. I just googled for the info. I am not interested in posting and would rather read than post, actually.

I have no relationship with any company that sells any rosacea treatments or any skin care products.

Comment

FYI at MDSkinshop.com and they now have Pyratine/XR on sale till the end of the month for $110.40 for a 2oz. tube.

Comment

Working...
                                X