How I cured my rosacea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPDATE :

I have been experimenting with different things to heal the damage that years of antibiotics use has done to my intestines. And I believe the things I have been doing to heal this internal damage have faded my facial veins! I used to have bad facial veins on each side of my nose that I covered with makeup, but they are completely faded away now.

Here's what I did :

I stopped eating ANYTHING with wheat or gluten.

I have been taking a scoop of L-Glutamine powder in water on an empty stomach each night before bed. This is to heal my intestine lining.
    http://www.renewlife.ca/products.php?id=57

I believe these things are what faded my facial veins.

Lindsay

Comment

Lindsay, thanks alot for taking time to check out the list. The HCL tablets (I wouldve gotten the capsules but its too late -- I guess Ill just see how this goes. On the back of mine it says 1, 2 tablets once a day.. So I dont think Ill be able to take these with every meal. How long did it take before you saw improvement? Its been about 3 days so far.

Thanks for your concerns, i Took doxycycline for about a month.. But I stopped because I didnt want to be on a pill my whole life.. My mistake was let some smart ass Dermatologist prescribe steroids.. The first day.. Magic, my rosacea 99% dissapeared.. The second day it was the worst it has ever been.. I was on for about 5 days, and I think in that short time i permanently screwed up my face (ALOT of spider veins appeared.. which are just getting worse and worse --> im going to try to get ahold of that stuff you mentioned in the previous post! )

Im not taking any antibiotics, and dont plan to. How are the gastro-intestinal problems, improving I hope? And your rosacea? is it still as clear as it was when you began?

Thanks!
      Originally posted by lindsay
      Hi ewist,

Yes that tea tree oil is good. I checked out your list, I would recommend that you get HCl capsules instead of tablets, because capsules break apart faster. For example, this is the kind I use...

http://www.amazon.com/Betaine-HCL-50...887750&sr=1-17

I take two about 10 minutes before each meal.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out for you! The best advice I can give you is for the love of god, DO NOT GO ON ANTIBIOTICS for rosacea. I made that mistake, and I am paying for it now with gastro-intestinal problems that I am slowly recovering from.

Lindsay

Comment

Hey ewist,

If you take 1 or 2 tablets of HCl a day, that won't do anything to help you digest food.

You need to take 1 or 2 about 10 minutes before eating to give it time to break apart. Every time you eat something.

I take 1 before a snack, 2 before a meal. Tablets take a lot longer to break apart, which is why I use capsules.

My gastro-intestinal problems are improving, because I am spending a lot of money on the most potent probiotics I can buy, to replace the good bacteria that the antibiotic killed off. I really don't recommend going on antibiotics or steroids, that's for sure.

I have been off the antibiotic since August 22, and my rosacea is 90% gone, by using these natural treatments. And now my facial veins are gone. I'm not using the tea tree oil anymore, here is a summary of what I'm doing that has helped me :

1. stop taking antibiotics
        2. take HCl capsules 10 minutes before eating, every time I eat
        3. stop eating wheat and gluten (many people are allergic to wheat and gluten, and this causes Leaky Gut Syndrome, damaging the intestine lining, which causes inflammation that shows up on the face as rosacea!). I eat a diet of meat, fruit, and vegetables, and avoid breads and processed foods.
        4. I take L-Glutamine powder
        in water on an empty stomach at night before bed. This is to heal the intestine lining (heal the Leaky Gut Syndrome). However, this step will not help if the person continues to eat allergens such as wheat and gluten, because the allergens continue to cause damage to the lining, causing inflammation and rosacea.

5. Because I was on antibiotics for so long, I killed off the good bacteria and so I had to take medicine for yeast infection, and I have to buy probiotics to replace the good bacteria. Stay off antibiotics to avoid this step.

These steps are not as easy as taking a pill from a doctor, but pills from doctors just treat the SYMPTOMS, they don't treat the CAUSE. And they have side-effects that make you worse in the end. I hope you follow these steps and find success without doctors medicine.

Good luck ewist, and as always, you can ask me anything, I am happy to help anyone.

Lindsay

Comment

Hey ewist,

If you take 1 or 2 tablets of HCl a day, that won't do anything to help you digest food.

You need to take 1 or 2 about 10 minutes before eating to give it time to break apart. Every time you eat something.

I take 1 before a snack, 2 before a meal. Tablets take a lot longer to break apart, which is why I use capsules.

My gastro-intestinal problems are improving, because I am spending a lot of money on the most potent probiotics I can buy, to replace the good bacteria that the antibiotic killed off. I really don't recommend going on antibiotics or steroids, that's for sure.

I have been off the antibiotic since August 22, and my rosacea is 90% gone, by using these natural treatments. And now my facial veins are gone. I'm not using the tea tree oil anymore, here is a summary of what I'm doing that has helped me :

1. stop taking antibiotics
          2. take HCl capsules 10 minutes before eating, every time I eat
          3. stop eating wheat and gluten (many people are allergic to wheat and gluten, and this causes Leaky Gut Syndrome, damaging the intestine lining, which causes inflammation that shows up on the face as rosacea!). I eat a diet of meat, fruit, and vegetables, and avoid breads and processed foods.
          4. I take L-Glutamine powder
          in water on an empty stomach at night before bed. This is to heal the intestine lining (heal the Leaky Gut Syndrome). However, this step will not help if the person continues to eat allergens such as wheat and gluten, because the allergens continue to cause damage to the lining, causing inflammation and rosacea.

5. Because I was on antibiotics for so long, I killed off the good bacteria and so I had to take medicine for yeast infection, and I have to buy probiotics to replace the good bacteria. Stay off antibiotics to avoid this step.

These steps are not as easy as taking a pill from a doctor, but pills from doctors just treat the SYMPTOMS, they don't treat the CAUSE. And they have side-effects that make you worse in the end. I hope you follow these steps and find success without doctors medicine.

Good luck ewist, and as always, you can ask me anything, I am happy to help anyone.

Lindsay
          Lindsay Im just a little hesitant to exceed the dosage for the HCL tablets, on the back it says take 1 or 2 a day preferibly with a meal, I just dont want to burn a hole in my stomach with these But Ill try taking one with each meal, see what happens. Are you also exceeding the reccomended dosage? I know this is very premature but my rosacea doesnt seem AS intense today as it usually is, I guess we will just have to wait and see in a while. About how long would you say before you saw improvement?

I just ordered some good quality probiotics, because I've been on anti biotics for my belpharitis (terrible eye infections), and countless other times, those infections get so bad I have to stay home for sometimes a week at a time.

I'm glad to know your intestinal problems are improving. That gluten free diet sure does sound painful.. Too bad about the bread, no more toast for breakfast Well, would rice be considered gluten free, because no bread orrice would be pretty terrible? I think Im going to go for this diet after I do a colon/candida cleanse, the moment I do Ill get the L-Glutamine for sure, but does it have any side effects like diarrhea? I would love to see before-after pics if possible. thanks again for all your patience, and Ill keep you updated.

Comment

Hey ewist,

On the back of each brand, it says something different for the dosage. They are just covering their own a** by saying only 1 or 2 tablets a day. 1 or 2 tablets a day simply wouldn't do anything. *** IF *** you have low stomach acid like me, you would need to take HCl with every meal in order to help digestion.

The capsules I use say
            Each capsule contains Betaine Hydrochloride 500 mg
            Directions: 2 capsules at mealtime 3 times per day or as directed by a health practitioner. Maximum daily dose, 6 capsules per day. If you tell me your email address, I can email you a photo of the back of my bottle which has these instructions. This is the brand I use...
            [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Betaine-HCL-500mg-100mg-Fenugreek/dp/B00028P5O6/ref=sr_1_1/102-9472012-7744169?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1191414068&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Betaine HCL 500mg With 100mg Fenugreek - 180 - Capsule: Health & Personal Care[/ame]

The point is, you only need to supplement HCl if you have low stomach acid. Here are some symptoms of low stomach acid, do you have these? I did.

In men or women hypochlorhydria can contribute to a wide variety of problems. These can include obvious things like dry, scaly skin and brittle, lifeless hair. It can also cause a person to feel fatigued and/or listlessness. Most commonly, it causes digestive problems like gas, indigestion, constipation and/or diarrhea. It can also cause a variety of sugar-handling problems ranging from hypoglycemia to diabetes, as well as a variety of circulatory problems ranging from out of balance blood pressure (high or low relative to the person’s age and body type) to tachycardia, arrhythmia, heart disease and stroke. Long term it can create immune system problems ranging from an increased susceptibility to insect stings, infections and colds to the various forms of cancer.
            http://www.consciouslivingsystems.com/gpage6.html

The best way to see if you have low stomach acid, is to do a simple test. Take 2 of your HCl tablets on an empty stomach. Wait, give them time to break apart. See if you feel any burning or pain. If you do, then you already have enough stomach acid. If you DON'T, then you don't already have enough stomach acid.

"About how long would you say before you saw improvement? "

I started the HCl while I was still using the tetracycline to suppress my rosacea. I used them both together for a week, and then stopped the tetracycline and just continued with the HCl. Because I was using the tetracycline to suppress my rosacea, there was no visible improvement in my flushing when I stopped the tetracycline and started the HCl. I switched one treatment for the other, without any stop in between. The good thing was that, in the past, if I stopped taking the tetracycline, my flushing would come back BAD within a day or so. But by using the HCl, when I stopped taking the tetracycline, my rosacea DIDN'T come back. It stayed suppressed.

There are things that have definetly improved though, HCl is a far healthier treatment. My digestion has improved, my hair is smoother and healthier, my skin is MUCH less oily. I am no longer damaging my intestines with antibiotics, I am working to repair the damage now.

The wheat/gluten free diet was daunting at first, but after doing much research on it, I know how to do it, and I'm actually ENJOYING it. I am following the Paleolithic Diet. Basically this way of eating is the way that humans have evolved on for 2 million years, before the invention of agriculture about 10 000 years ago, which brought about the introduction of grains and dairy into our diets.
            The introduction of grains into our diets has caused us to eat A LOT more carbohydrates and processed foods. All carbohydrates break down as sugar, which explains why our culture has so much diabetes and obesity compared to hunter/gatherer tribes. Carbohydrates are addictive, they cause blood sugar highs and lows that leave you ravenously hungry, and it's difficult not to gain weight when your diet is based on carbohydrates.

I think it is healthier to eat the more nutrient-rich foods that we evolved on for millions of years. Such as meat, fruits, and vegetables. I no longer eat any grains or carbohydrates. If you are interested, you can read about the theory behind it and it's benefits here...
            http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.htmlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet

Wheat isn't the only grain that contains gluten. IF you are allergic to wheat and gluten, you should avoid all grains as they damage your intestine lining and cause inflammation/rosacea.

You can read about this allergy at this link, it tells you the symptoms if you have it, and talks about the damage to the intestine lining that is caused.....
            http://www.foodallergyinitiative.com...b_section_id=5

The L-Glutamine didn't cause any side effects in me, no.

I wish I had "before" photos of my rosacea, but because I was using the tetracycline for years to suppress the flushing and papules, and also makeup, I don't think I have any photos that show the rosacea. There were times when I missed a dose of tetracycline and my rosacea flared bad, but during those times I never ran for the camera to take a photo of myself ! I just took some more tetracycline as early as I was able to.

Lindsay

Comment

I am glad this is working for you.
              I used to think that it was all digestion/intestines related, and while i still believe it has something to do with it, it certainly is not the answer. I have been eating the best diet for over 2 years now (no sugar, no additives, no dairy, no gluten, no alcohol, low histamine, low fruit), have experimented with HCL, V complex, omega 3, GLA, you name it, and still my rosacea progresses.
              I am starting to believe that diet/digestion affects us less than topicals, stress or external factors such as wind, sun, humidity, temperature changes...
              eric

Comment

Hey ewist,

On the back of each brand, it says something different for the dosage. They are just covering their own a** by saying only 1 or 2 tablets a day. 1 or 2 tablets a day simply wouldn't do anything. *** IF *** you have low stomach acid like me, you would need to take HCl with every meal in order to help digestion.

The capsules I use say
                Each capsule contains Betaine Hydrochloride 500 mg
                Directions: 2 capsules at mealtime 3 times per day or as directed by a health practitioner. Maximum daily dose, 6 capsules per day. If you tell me your email address, I can email you a photo of the back of my bottle which has these instructions. This is the brand I use...
                http://www.amazon.com/Betaine-HCL-50...1414068&sr=8-1

The point is, you only need to supplement HCl if you have low stomach acid. Here are some symptoms of low stomach acid, do you have these? I did.

In men or women hypochlorhydria can contribute to a wide variety of problems. These can include obvious things like dry, scaly skin and brittle, lifeless hair. It can also cause a person to feel fatigued and/or listlessness. Most commonly, it causes digestive problems like gas, indigestion, constipation and/or diarrhea. It can also cause a variety of sugar-handling problems ranging from hypoglycemia to diabetes, as well as a variety of circulatory problems ranging from out of balance blood pressure (high or low relative to the person’s age and body type) to tachycardia, arrhythmia, heart disease and stroke. Long term it can create immune system problems ranging from an increased susceptibility to insect stings, infections and colds to the various forms of cancer.
                http://www.consciouslivingsystems.com/gpage6.html

The best way to see if you have low stomach acid, is to do a simple test. Take 2 of your HCl tablets on an empty stomach. Wait, give them time to break apart. See if you feel any burning or pain. If you do, then you already have enough stomach acid. If you DON'T, then you don't already have enough stomach acid.

"About how long would you say before you saw improvement? "

I started the HCl while I was still using the tetracycline to suppress my rosacea. I used them both together for a week, and then stopped the tetracycline and just continued with the HCl. Because I was using the tetracycline to suppress my rosacea, there was no visible improvement in my flushing when I stopped the tetracycline and started the HCl. I switched one treatment for the other, without any stop in between. The good thing was that, in the past, if I stopped taking the tetracycline, my flushing would come back BAD within a day or so. But by using the HCl, when I stopped taking the tetracycline, my rosacea DIDN'T come back. It stayed suppressed.

There are things that have definetly improved though, HCl is a far healthier treatment. My digestion has improved, my hair is smoother and healthier, my skin is MUCH less oily. I am no longer damaging my intestines with antibiotics, I am working to repair the damage now.

The wheat/gluten free diet was daunting at first, but after doing much research on it, I know how to do it, and I'm actually ENJOYING it. I am following the Paleolithic Diet. Basically this way of eating is the way that humans have evolved on for 2 million years, before the invention of agriculture about 10 000 years ago, which brought about the introduction of grains and dairy into our diets.
                The introduction of grains into our diets has caused us to eat A LOT more carbohydrates and processed foods. All carbohydrates break down as sugar, which explains why our culture has so much diabetes and obesity compared to hunter/gatherer tribes. Carbohydrates are addictive, they cause blood sugar highs and lows that leave you ravenously hungry, and it's difficult not to gain weight when your diet is based on carbohydrates.

I think it is healthier to eat the more nutrient-rich foods that we evolved on for millions of years. Such as meat, fruits, and vegetables. I no longer eat any grains or carbohydrates. If you are interested, you can read about the theory behind it and it's benefits here...
                http://www.earth360.com/diet_paleodiet_balzer.htmlhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleolithic_diet

Wheat isn't the only grain that contains gluten. IF you are allergic to wheat and gluten, you should avoid all grains as they damage your intestine lining and cause inflammation/rosacea.

You can read about this allergy at this link, it tells you the symptoms if you have it, and talks about the damage to the intestine lining that is caused.....
                http://www.foodallergyinitiative.com...b_section_id=5

The L-Glutamine didn't cause any side effects in me, no.

I wish I had "before" photos of my rosacea, but because I was using the tetracycline for years to suppress the flushing and papules, and also makeup, I don't think I have any photos that show the rosacea. There were times when I missed a dose of tetracycline and my rosacea flared bad, but during those times I never ran for the camera to take a photo of myself ! I just took some more tetracycline as early as I was able to.

Lindsay
                Lindsay, the HCL tablets im taking are huge, so it probaly has alot packed in, which would explain 2 tablets max daily. For the next few weeks I am going to take 3 daily and see what happens... As for the symptoms: I get acid indigestion quite often, but my hair is normal and my face is pretty normal, but if anything it is oily. Fatigue and listlessness? For sure. I don't think its normal for someone my age (18 ) to feel so exhasuted all the time, every day is a drag to get through. Ah it sucks getting rosacea so young, looking at my dad (who has terrible rosacea) I can just see how bad its going to get over the years if I dont act fast.

Interesting about the bug bites and various forms of cancer. When I was in 6th grade I got a bug bite which produced cancerous cells. After the initial biopsy they decided it was Linfoma (ah don't know the spelling -- anyways a type of skin cancer) so I had it surgically removed. Who knows if this has anything to do with low stomach acid??

I will do that test (tablets on an empty stomach) for sure, It'll be interesting to find out.

The paleolithic diet looks very interesting. I'm glad that meat was not left out, because I don't think I would be able to survive on just fruits and vegetables. I looked at both links and the 360 link says that you can't eat beans or potatoes, which is a shame. I also noticed the words "loose weight!" somewhere when talking about the diet, If anything I need to gain some weight. I will seriously consider going on this diet for a period of time while taking Glutamine to see if there is any improvement, and if there is an improvement, then boy, I'll stick to it. I would gladly sacrifice if I noticed improvement.

Yea its too bad you dont have any before pictures. Maybe an after picture would be nice to see anyways, to see how much you have been able to improve your situation. I have redness (buttefly rash shape) and spider veins, but I don't get pustules

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/97/rosa1ye8.jpg

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8057/eyecl6.jpg
                heres the belapharitis I was talking about, but Ill put this is so you could see my cheek and the enlarged pores. This was a time before my spider veins became visible though :?

By the way, my tea tree oil arrived today! I will start using it in about a week to first see how much (if any) of an effect HCL tablets have on me.

Thanks for all the info Lindsay!

Comment

Hey!

I just want to say how awesome this thread is. I also have been considering stomach acid levels, intestine health, and flora levels contributing to rosacea for quite some time now.

I have also jumped in the HCL, pancreatic enzymes, and, I just purchased some Colostrum to help repair leaky gut damage.

I am having a bit of trouble about how to minimize the amount of damage/irritation from drinking things such as coffee, or alcohol, fruit juices.. etc..etc..

No idea yet.. :?

but I will keep you all posted.. keep up with the great information!

Comment

Hey ewist,

If you are exhausted all the time, and each day is a drag to get through, I think you should go see a doctor. When I was a teenager that happened to me, with the additional symptom of being pale as a ghost, and it turned out I was badly iron deficient and was given iron supplements.

But obviously I have no idea why you are exhausted all the time, I strongly suggest that you see a doctor about that. That's no way to live. Ask for blood tests to check your nutrient levels, and whatever the doctor suggests. Let me know what happens, I'm worried about you that you say you are so exhausted !

Also, perhaps you should ask your doctor about testing you for Lupus. Here are the symptoms :

Common Symptoms of Lupus :

Painful or swollen joints and muscle pain
                    Unexplained fever
                    Red butterfly rash on the face
                    Chest pain upon deep breathing
                    Unusual loss of hair
                    Pale or purple fingers or toes from cold or stress (Raynaud's phenomenon)
                    Sensitivity to the sun
                    Swelling (edema) in legs or around eyes
                    Mouth ulcers
                    Swollen glands
                    Extreme fatigue

I'll email you a photo of myself, send me a private message with your email address if you don't mind. I just don't want to post a photo of myself on the forum among strangers. I don't consider you a stranger anymore though!

Lindsay

Comment

Hey ToadStooL,

I'm excited to see someone else interested in natural ways to treat rosacea ! Let me know how it works out for you

Lindsay

Comment

Hey Eric,

It is frustrating isn't it? It would be easier if everyone could benefit from the same treatment, but I'm thinking now that rosacea probably has a lot of causes, that can be different from person to person.

Which makes sense I guess. Rosacea is basically inflammation, and people can have different allergies and immune responses to different things.

Have you been tested for nutrient deficiencies? Perhaps that information would help you.

Good luck and if you want to, let me know how things work out for you, I'd definetly be interested in hearing it. I think this is a great support site and we can help each other a lot. Keep trying, I think you can find the answer to your health.

Lindsay

Comment

Also, perhaps you should ask your doctor about testing you for Lupus. Here are the symptoms :

Unexplained fever
                          Unusual loss of hair
                          Sensitivity to the sun
                          Mouth ulcers
                          Swollen glands
                          Extreme fatigue

Lindsay
                          I ruled out Lupus a long time ago (never been tested) but re-visiting this, with what you have just copied over, makes me re-consider this possibility. I have all of those symptoms! Ouch! :?

Thanks for your helpful posts, Lindsay.

Jen
                          Currently trying: Apr 06 Bee Wilder's Candida (natural healing) Diet; May 06 Home made red LED array; Aug 06 ZZ ointment.

Comment

Good to hear this treatment has worked for you. I was also
                            recommended this, and I ordered a Betaine Hydrochlorid
                            supplement, that I will start taking as soon as it gets here.

I have no idea if my stomach acid level is too low .. I will just stop
                            taking the supplement if I get stomach upset/burn.

Comment

Hey ewist,

If you are exhausted all the time, and each day is a drag to get through, I think you should go see a doctor. When I was a teenager that happened to me, with the additional symptom of being pale as a ghost, and it turned out I was badly iron deficient and was given iron supplements.

But obviously I have no idea why you are exhausted all the time, I strongly suggest that you see a doctor about that. That's no way to live. Ask for blood tests to check your nutrient levels, and whatever the doctor suggests. Let me know what happens, I'm worried about you that you say you are so exhausted !

Unexplained fever
                              Unusual loss of hair
                              Sensitivity to the sun
                              Mouth ulcers
                              Swollen glands
                              Extreme fatigue

I'll email you a photo of myself, send me a private message with your email address if you don't mind. I just don't want to post a photo of myself on the forum among strangers. I don't consider you a stranger anymore though!

Lindsay
                              Hey Lindsay,
                              I've actually gone to a doctor and gotten some blood tests, and I think I was tested for parasites aswell. It all turned out normal, unfortunately (wish I could just get to the cause). The doctor started going freud on me and said it might be due to depression (which who knows -- it may well be, but I refuse to go onto any anti-depressants, although I'm thinking about picking up some Saint Johns Wort to see if I get any improvement -- and I definately don't want to be counselled)

Thanks for the concern, I think I'll return to a doctor sometime and see if there are any additional tests that can be done. Who knows it may be gluten , I'm not sure if Ive gotten all my nutrient levels tested, ill definately ask.

Lupus... sounds pretty scary. I had a test which was pretty accurate for testing for Lupus, it came back negative, but there was one more test which I never got to; which was the determining test.

Red butterfly rash on the face - Ive seen several pictures of lupus malar rashes and they did look quite similar.
                              http://www.pdrhealth.com/patient_edu...G01RH18F01.jpg
                              http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...lsize/2507.jpg
                              http://www.zhub.com/pathology/listings/16.gif

Sensitivity to the sun - Well.. yea, for sure

Mouth ulcers -I do get quite a bit of them, maybe an unusual amount

Extreme fatigue

Hmm this makes me think I should get the second part of that test done. Thanks for brining it up. By the way, check your inbox I sent you my adress.

Comment

Please be careful with undiluted tea tree oil. It is very strong, and
                                never to be used undiluted. TTO is also known to provoke
                                allergic reactions, if used liberally. Also, you are never supposed
                                to use it in strong concentrations on larger amounts of skin, and
                                it must not be covered over after application.

Comment

Working...
                                X