Butcher's Broom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butcher's Broom

In the thoughts that Rosacea can be a problem with overly dilated blood vessels, awhile back I did a Google search on vascular constrictors, since constriction is obviously the opposite of dilation, and possibly a good thing for Rosacea. Snooping around I found a natural supplement said to cause constriction of blood vessels; Butcher's Broom.
    In reading about it, it seems that it's popular in the treatment of hemorrhoids due to it's constrictive effects. Now, I don't have hemorrhoids, but I AM interested in the vascular effects. Has anyone here tried it with any kind of success.
    I've pretty much given up on derms and their bullsh*t Metrogel prescriptions, so I'm looking into natural remedies.

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Printab...5,4087,00.html

Scientific Name: Butcher's broom
    Other Names: Box Holly, Jew's Myrtle, Knee Holly, Kneeholm, Pettigree, Ruscus aculeatus, Sweet Broom

Who is this for?
    Uses

Chemicals in butcher's broom attach to and strengthen certain parts of blood vessels, notably collagen. As a result, butcher's broom tightens blood vessels, which helps to keep blood circulating throughout the body. It also acts to improve the flexibility of blood vessel walls. Therefore, less blood leaks out of weak, stretched vessels such as those that cause hemorrhoids. Butcher's broom may also lessen cramps, itching, swelling, and other symptoms associated with chronic venous insufficiency, a condition that occurs when valves in the veins that carry blood back to the heart are weak or damaged. The blood that may collect in the veins of the legs can lead to varicose veins, spider veins, or sores on the legs. More serious results may include blood clots in the legs. Although other drugs are used in the United States, a preparation derived from butcher's broom is used in European hospitals to prevent blood clots after surgery.

Butcher's broom has also been used as a mild diuretic. Because butcher's broom helps to keep fluids from leaking out of blood vessels into surrounding tissue more body fluid is filtered through the kidneys and eliminated in urine. This effect may lessen swelling associated with premenstrual syndrome, sprains, and some heart conditions. Currently, other drugs are more effective for relieving serious swelling, but products that include butcher's broom are popular in European countries for the relief of less serious swelling. Butcher's broom is also being investigated for the treatment of orthostatic hypotension, which is a drop in blood pressure after standing up. Dizziness or fainting may result. Advanced age, certain drugs, and medical conditions such as diabetes and Parkinson's disease are often associated with orthostatic hypotension. Butcher's broom may reduce orthostatic hypertension without raising blood pressure as some other treatments do

Nobody???

*shrug*

Sounded mildy promising to me

Comment

Hi Simply red,
      this sounds interesting. Are you going to try it???
      If you do, let us know if it works.
      dx early 2006.
      current stategy;
      finacea (on occasional spot), 20+ x IPL and 17+ low level PDL (n-light)

Comment

Moomy, I'm gonna pick some up soon as well as some Oregano Oil, since it seems to be well-regarded... I'll most likely try them separately starting with the Butcher's Broom to see if either one will make any kind of difference individually. I'll stick to one for 2 weeks, then the other... If that doesn't do anything I'll try taking them both
        My skin is odd in that on one day it won't feel too bad, only slightly pink, then on the next it is extremely tight and burning, then the next day it's very "Splotchy" looking with rough patches and my forehead itches. So damned strange. I'm not entirely convinced that it's Rosacea at all really. I do have Sebhoreah as well, maybe that's the cause of the redness. It's all very frustrating. I don't even mind the color so much as the tightness and stinging that is a constant reminder that something is wrong....

I'll keep things updated in this post once I start using it. I'm really surprised that no one else has tried it though. Guess I'll be the Guinea pig

Comment

Hi simply red,

This sounds interesting.

What about rebound dilation though?

And what about the dosage for targeting facial bvs?
          I think it might be a good idea to ask your doc before you start, just in case there may be serious interactions with other herbs/supplements/meds you may be taking.

Good luck and keep us posted.

All the best,
          Melissa

Comment

anyone use ruscus aculeatus product?

Comment

Working...
            X