Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea Salt

Hi
    I have been taking lemon juice/ sea salt for awhile now, and feel that it is really helping. But i have been reading up about sea salt, and it appears that not all sea salt is the same. I just bought some from tha supermarket. Reading up it seems that celtic sea salt is the best as it has a higher mineral content.
    However i am finding it hard to locate any of this in the UK. Can anyone suggest where i can order it from here or recomend another good brand.
    I did find some on an American site but the postage was a ridiculous amount.
    Thanks Becca

Hi Becca

I bought Celtic Sea Salt from my local health shop. If your local health shop does not stock it, they may be able to order it in for you, so that you don't have to pay postage. Mine cost me AUD8.00 for 500g NET and I am still on my first packet. Interesting, it says on the packet "Product of France. Packed in Australia." So I imagine it should be more readily available in the UK than here in Australia?

Here's their web site http://www.celticseasalt.com/

Another brand name is Himalayan. Just run a quick Google search if you want to compare on-line prices.

I'm not sure if you want to know all of the following but this is copied over from one of the files in the CSG on Yahoo, called "Salt, the importance of a “good” ocean sea salt in the diet"

"You need salt to live! A healthy, active lifestyle demands sufficient salt intake. Human life is dependent on the presence of sodium.

If you were to ask anyone to pass the salt, it is a given that in most restaurants you would receive a shaker full of processed sodium chloride. This modern salt is not what it used to be. It is not, in fact, the composition that it was when it became our condiment of choice.

Today’s table salt is 98% sodium chloride - no trace minerals, no natural balance. Ordinary table salt is a chemical as clean as Heroin or White Sugar. It almost always contain additives, like 0.01% of potassium-Iodide (added to the salt to avoid iodine deficiency disease of thyroid gland), sugar (added to stabilize iodine and as anti-caking chemical), and aluminum silicate.

However sodium, in the form of sodium chloride, plays an important part in the primary processes of digestion and absorption. Salt activates the first enzyme in the mouth, salivary amylase.

Sodium chloride is used to make hydrochloric acid, a secretion needed for digestion. Sodium functions best when other minerals, such as magnesium, calcium and potassium, which are also contained in good ocean sea salts like Celtic and Himalayan.

We need salt to live. Our own cellular makeup is very similar to sea water. Much more than a solution of salt water, the ocean’s waters contain a complex combination of minerals and elements. It is this coincidence that has likely made salt, which is essential to life, the condiment most used for thousands of years.

“Salt” is actually a chemical term for a substance produced by a reaction of an acid with a base. The terms, "salt" and "sodium" are used interchangeably, but technically this is not correct. "Salt" is sodium chloride. By weight, it is 40% sodium and 60% chloride. Sodium is an essential nutrient, a mineral that the body cannot manufacture itself but which is required for life and good health. Human blood contains 0.9% sodium chloride, or salt -- the same concentration as found in saline solutions used to cleanse wounds. That coincidence is why we crave it and why man came to covet it.

Dr. Bernard Jensen, author of Come Alive, stated, “All cellular structures become alive through electrolytic activity. Life begins with electrolytes. Trace minerals carry the life force in our bodies more than any other substance.”

Mineral salts create electrolytes. Electrolytes, often called the spark of life, are what carry the electrical currents throughout our bodies - sending messages to the cells in all of the different systems.

Electrolytes are also necessary for enzyme production. Enzymes are responsible for breaking down food, for absorbing nutrients, muscle function, hormone production and more. Our biological need for salt that contains a balance of naturally occurring minerals and trace elements is very real. These minerals must be replenished regularly in order to maintain health.

Water and salt regulate the water content of the body. Water itself regulates the water content of the interior of the cell by working its way into all of the cells it reaches. It has to get there to cleanse and extract the toxic wastes of cell metabolisms. Salt forces some water to stay outside the cells. It balances the amount of water that stays outside the cells. There are two oceans of water in the body; one ocean is held inside the cells of the body, and the other ocean is held outside the cells. Good health depends on a most delicate balance between the volume of these oceans, and this balance is achieved by “good” unrefined ocean sea salt.

If you were to ask anyone to pass the salt, it is a given that in most restaurants you would receive a shaker full of processed sodium chloride. This modern salt is not what it used to be. It is not, in fact, the composition that it was when it became our condiment of choice.

Today’s table salt is 98% sodium chloride- no trace minerals, no natural balance. is 99.9% NaCl (sodium-chloride), (chemical as clean as Heroin or White Sugar) . It almost always contain additives, like 0.01% of Potassium-Iodide (added to the salt to avoid Iodine deficiency disease of thyroid gland), Sugar (added to stabilize Iodine and as anti-caking chemical), Aluminum silicate. and it contains aluminum

For thousands of years, we have known that salt intake can affect blood pressure. But scientists disagree over how much is too much. For years many researchers have claimed that salt threatens public health by contributing to high blood pressure. Over time, studies investigating the relationship between sodium and high blood pressure have produced mixed results. Most doctors and major health organizations around the world recommend a diet low in sodium. Some veer toward the extreme and prescribe a no-salt diet.

What science is now telling us is that a balance of minerals is necessary and is more beneficial than eliminating sodium. The featured study in the September, 2002 issue of the British Medical Journal states that significant sodium reduction would lead to only very small blood pressure changes in the limited sodium-sensitive populations and would not produce the health benefits presumed.

After years of promoting what may be unhealthy low levels of sodium, science may soon prove that it is a diet with a balance of mineral salts that is the answer. Eating a diet with a balance of sodium, magnesium and potassium may actually help to lower blood pressure and promote good health. Sodium, potassium and magnesium help to regulate fluid balance in the body and allow nutrients and oxygen to travel to their necessary destinations within the body.

The saying that “rubbing salt into a wound,” may come to mean something different. Sea salt is linked to healthy immune and adrenal function. Doctors at one hospital have discovered that a treatment for chronic fatigue includes sodium supplements and plenty of pickles and other salty foods. A number of medical studies suggest that soaking in sea salt baths rich in minerals such as magnesium, potassium, and calcium may be beneficial in the treatment of various diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, and osteoarthritis.

Some people find that adding Celtic Sea Salt to their diets helps to re-establish proper regulation of bodily fluids. According to Dr. Esteban Genoa, a Miami physician, “a lot of people are not overweight because of excess body fat; they are overweight because of excessive bodily fluids. This type of person may go on a starvation diet and gain weight.

But these people are mineral depleted, and are unable to maintain homeostasis (the process by which an organism regulates internal conditions in the face of a changing external environment).

These people will benefit from adding the right salt to their foods because their kidneys are not working correctly, the water exchange between the body's organs, as well as between the extra cellular fluid and the intracellular fluid, does not flow properly. These people are not moving fluid through the system, they are water intoxicated, and they are really going to benefit form the proper salt. In addition, a person with this sort of weight problem should limit carbohydrates.”

Given the latest health findings that a balance of minerals is the healthiest choice, it makes good sense to switch to natural salts which contain magnesium and potassium. Not only do these salts promote good health, they also taste better. The metamorphosis of sea water into salt allows sea salt to keep all of its essential components, thus the benefits and flavor of the minerals that typical table salt is lacking.

The goal of optimum health, a balance of nutrition and lifestyle, can go a long way to preventing illness. This goal begins with our everyday decisions, such as what kind of salt to use and to regard it as a very important nutrient to have daily."

-----

Oh, I just realised there was some repetition in that but I copied it over as written, rather than editing. Sorry it's so long. I can't make a link to the file. This goes in line with what was suggested by Drummond about hydrating the body too.

Lots of food for thought. There certainly is a science to this natural healing! I'm loving it!

Hope this helps and so glad to hear that the lemon/sea salt/water ("Electrolyte Drink") is helping you! Whoo hoo!

Jen
    Currently trying: Apr 06 Bee Wilder's Candida (natural healing) Diet; May 06 Home made red LED array; Aug 06 ZZ ointment.

Comment

Thanks for replying Jen
      I had looked in Holland and Barretts (a major health food store) but they didn't have anything. A think i will try a smaller health food shop and see what they can come up with.
      Becca

Comment

Jen,

I am truly amazed at the amount of information you continually provide on food/diet and nutrition. It's all very interesting and helpful.

Have you ever thought of becoming a nutritionist? Or maybe you already are one?

Anyway, thanls for the tidbits!

Tricia

Comment

Thanks Tricia and you're welcome

It's something that I have really sunk my teeth into of late (pun intended) LOL What keeps me reading more is the fact that my face is clearing up and I hope that even if I share some of the info I have read, it may help someone else too.

I didn't do all the research. I just want to know 'why' something is said to work. So I read more about it.

I'm not a nutritionist and funny enough eating a healthy diet/lifestyle was the last thing I ever thought I would do. Guess I just had to make that leap!

Jen
          Currently trying: Apr 06 Bee Wilder's Candida (natural healing) Diet; May 06 Home made red LED array; Aug 06 ZZ ointment.

Comment

salt drink

well i think your doing well too with your healthy eating, im also doing no dairy, wheat or gluten and thanks alot or sharing your ideas with us.

Im trying the lemon drink everyday, I use table spoon and then fill the cup up with rest with water, think i asked you before how much you put it in and u said 500ml , is table spoon and rest water ok i dont want to put to much lemon in but i cant put 500ml as it dsont fit in cup. How much salt to you also put in?Stupid questions i know but dont want put too much in , Also how many drinks of this do you have a day? thanks sarah

Comment

Hi Sarah

500ml of lemon juice is too much. One tablespoon = 15ml (or 3 teaspoons). Sorry if I made a typo with that before, I don't remember. Anyway, the basic recipe is:

Juice from 1/2 a lemon
              1/4 teaspoon of a good ocean/sea salt
              Topped with water in a mug or glass

It is suggested to drink this up to 6 times a day, 3 of those with meals to aid digestion.

The amount of water (best if filtered water or boiled water rather than tap water) is 6 to 8oz. I looked this up and it works out to be between 177ml-237ml or 3/4 cup-1 cup of water.

I guess it depends on how big your lemons are as to how much lemon juice you will get from half a lemon. A tablespoon (15ml) sounds like a good amount.

It's not set in stone, so you can vary the amount with what tastes ok for you. I just fill a coffe mug with water and I'm sure that's probably more than a standard "cup".

Hope this helps.

Jen

Comment

sea salt and lemon

Hey,

Yes that has helped, sorry it was my mistake i wrote the reply too quickily earlier i really need to stop typing so fast,i have been doing a table spoon of pure lemon juice and the rest filtered water so that good im using the right amount, Havent started using the sea salt with the lemon and`water yet but I am going to start that with it too, thanks for the advice it really helps

Take Care
                Sarah

Comment

There is a good article here giving tips on drinking salt and treating Psoriasis:

http://www.profoundliving.org/wellne...dy_health.html

Comment

Hi.

I am new to the forum and just have a quick question regarding sea salt. Today I got some LOTUS Celtic Sea Salt(Fine Grain). Would there be any significant difference between this brand and the official Celtic Sea Salt that has previously been mentioned by redhotoz?

Comment

Hi MooKoo

Welcome to the Forum!

I'm not really sure about the Lotus brand. I did a quick Google search to see if I could find the ingredients. Well, I mean, if it is 'pure'. Couldn't find it specifically but I didn't spend a long time looking either. I did find some interesting info on salt lamps though:

http://www.himalayancrystalsalt.co.nz/

"Why have a Himalayan Crystal Salt Lamp?
                      Himalayan Crystal Salt Lamps are extremely beneficial for us, and our environment, because they are natural negative ionisers and energy amplifiers. When the gentle heat from the bulb warms the crystal salt, they emit a negative electrical charge (pyroelectricity), thus ionizing our atmosphere and interacting with our own bioenergetic field, or aura.

Having a Himalayan Crystal Salt Lamp running all the time in a room will change the energy & feeling, and offer natural benefits to the environment and ourselves that will assist with healing, ongoing well being and quality of life."

Ok, this may be way off centre but they look kind of nice. Also, this topic came up in another thread about Sea Water:

http://forum.rosaceagroup.org/viewtopic.php?t=3685

"Get out in the fresh air and let fresh air circulate in your home. Air charged with “good” ions, called “negative ions”, is healing to the adrenals. This kind of air is abundant in the forest and mountains, and at the seashore. Showers also provide these good ions."

Anyway, I digress a little! LOL What does the packet say? Basically, you want a good quality ocean/sea salt free from preservatives, additives, refining and bleaching. Did you buy it locally?

Jen

Comment

Hi redhotoz

Yes I bought it locally from a health shop (I am also located in Australia) - 500g for $7.60.

The front of the packet states:

"This, unrefined, hand harvested salt is certified by the prestigious Nature & Progre's of Europe. This ensures that it meets the high standards expected of Celtic salt, which is free from preservatives, additives, refining or bleaching."

Also, thanks for the prompt reply.

Comment

Sounds like a good product. Yes, I noticed you were a fellow Aussie! Whoo hoo!

Ah, prompt reply cos my computer is central in my home and I hear when new e-mails come in. BING! I'm on fast connection Broadband - love it!

Good luck with the drink! I hope it helps!

Jen

Comment

Urgh! Now look what you've 'made' me do MooKoo! LOL I just ordered some products from that site I Googled! Will let you know if I become this fantastically calm person with negative ions burning in my home! LOL

Jen

Comment

Originally posted by redhotoz
                              Urgh! Now look what you've 'made' me do MooKoo! LOL I just ordered some products from that site I Googled! Will let you know if I become this fantastically calm person with negative ions burning in my home! LOL
                              Hehe, thats the power of the Internet. eBay used to have that impact on me so now I try to avoid it.

I have tryed the drink twice now and I must admit the taste is 'interesting'. I guess persistence is the key when trying something new.

Comment

Working...
                              X