X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brady Barrows
    replied
    Originally posted by Mickey829 View Post
    I ordered the cream but realized I may not be able to use it. I have a sulfa allergy to antibiotics like bactrim and septra. Is sulfer and sulfa the same thing?? I hope not!
    I want to have this as a back up.
    "Both sulfa medications and sulfite can cause allergic reactions, but these two conditions are not related. A person who has a sulfa allergy will not necessarily have a sulfite allergy, so there is no cross-reactivity."
    What to know about sulfa allergies, MedicalNewsToday

Sulfa is an antibiotic. Sulfonamide, Wikipedia

"Sulfur is an essential element for all life, but almost always in the form of organosulfur compounds or metal sulfides." Wikipedia

The ZZ cream uses sublimed sulphur.

Keep us posted on your findings using the ZZ cream, please.

Leave a comment:

• Mickey829
    replied
    Zz cream

I ordered the cream but realized I may not be able to use it. I have a sulfa allergy to antibiotics like bactrim and septra. Is sulfer and sulfa the same thing?? I hope not!
    I want to have this as a back up.

Leave a comment:

• Brady Barrows
    replied
    Originally posted by anemicroyalty View Post
    Hi all,

I thought I would post an update in case anyone who is starting zz is reading this. I'm happy to report that my skin is doing much better than it has in years and my symptoms are almost completely gone, and when I do randomly flush (maybe once every few weeks this happens, at most) or wake up with a bump it goes away very quickly. I'm using zz cream a little more frequently than once a week currently.

Unfortunately I can't say for sure that zz cream is solely responsible for my improvement because I started supplementing with lutein shortly after starting the cream (I wanted to keep it a pure trial but was too impatient to wait to length of time that would have required) and I suspect they're both helping. I definitely recommend trying either/both to anyone considering it--good luck, I hope this helps someone!
    Thanks for your update.

Leave a comment:

• anemicroyalty
    replied
    Almost a year update

Hi all,

I thought I would post an update in case anyone who is starting zz is reading this. I'm happy to report that my skin is doing much better than it has in years and my symptoms are almost completely gone, and when I do randomly flush (maybe once every few weeks this happens, at most) or wake up with a bump it goes away very quickly. I'm using zz cream a little more frequently than once a week currently.

Unfortunately I can't say for sure that zz cream is solely responsible for my improvement because I started supplementing with lutein shortly after starting the cream (I wanted to keep it a pure trial but was too impatient to wait to length of time that would have required) and I suspect they're both helping. I definitely recommend trying either/both to anyone considering it--good luck, I hope this helps someone!

Leave a comment:

• redvelvet
    replied
    Just wanted to do a quick update in case anyone is still following this:

Almost finished 7 weeks and my skin is actually looking pretty good right now. I went down to only applying ZZ every third night to help with dryness and I think I'll maintain this schedule for awhile.

Pros:
    -No new P&P in about a week other than some teeny bumps that I suspect are more related to trying new sunscreens
    -Don't seem to flush as much with triggers (mainly alcohol) and haven't been having warmth in my cheeks
    -Pores look a bit tighter/cleaner

Cons:
    -Some dryness/irritation/tone irregularities still but it's very minimal since decreasing dose
    -Increased sensitivity: I can no longer use the chemical sunscreen I've used for years because it burns too much and causes me to flush

One confound is that my skin generally improves in the summer/in higher humidity so that is probably helping a bit as well.
    Excellent news! You are definitely on the right track. There are two types of mites: one takes 3 months to resolve, one takes 4 mos, so stick with it for the full 4 mos if you can. Over time your dryness should resolve as your skin heals. I would certainly suggest a mineral sunscreen (better in general anyway for overall chemical load). Please continue to update us as to your progress.

Leave a comment:

• anemicroyalty
    replied
    Just wanted to do a quick update in case anyone is still following this:

Almost finished 7 weeks and my skin is actually looking pretty good right now. I went down to only applying ZZ every third night to help with dryness and I think I'll maintain this schedule for awhile.

Pros:
    -No new P&P in about a week other than some teeny bumps that I suspect are more related to trying new sunscreens
    -Don't seem to flush as much with triggers (mainly alcohol) and haven't been having warmth in my cheeks
    -Pores look a bit tighter/cleaner

Cons:
    -Some dryness/irritation/tone irregularities still but it's very minimal since decreasing dose
    -Increased sensitivity: I can no longer use the chemical sunscreen I've used for years because it burns too much and causes me to flush

One confound is that my skin generally improves in the summer/in higher humidity so that is probably helping a bit as well.
    Last edited by anemicroyalty; 5 June 2020, 07:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ASordidGod
    replied
    My diet is pretty varied and relatively healthy, I don't have any restrictions and eat everything but try not to go overboard on carbs and sugars. I've been considering trying the candida diet for awhile for other reasons but cutting out carbs completely long-term is not realistic for me. Other than coffee in the morning and a beer or two with dinner (not great I know) I only really drink water. For what it's worth I've never noticed and food triggers for myself other than alcohol.

Yeah I'm not sure, it has many ingredients that are very harsh which is pretty much the opposite of my usual approach to rosacea. I've always thought of rosacea as being like very skin so it's hard for me to understand how it can help. For what it's worth my skin is looking pretty good right now but I'm not sure if it's just because I've cut back on the ZZ even more and it's less irritated, or if it will actually improve past the point where it was before I started. I just want to make sure to give it a really fair trial because I never want to go through the initial outbreak again. How long did you end up trying it for?
    Only for a few days. It broke me out really badly, took a few weeks to recover. Obviously the initial worsening stage is to be expected, but I wasn't quite ready to stick with it. I thought I'd just let my skin try and recover a bit; have a think if I wanted to give it another go or not. To be honest I've noticed a few people recently whose experience hasn't been great, or at least the zz cream doesn't seem to have helped; certainly I've seen nothing to make me think I should give it another go. Maybe if my skin doesn't improve over the next few months. I'm on antibiotics for now. They seemed to help last time. Not so far this time, but we'll see. Good luck, anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Brady Barrows
    replied
    My diet is pretty varied and relatively healthy, I don't have any restrictions and eat everything but try not to go overboard on carbs and sugars. I've been considering trying the candida diet for awhile for other reasons but cutting out carbs completely long-term is not realistic for me. Other than coffee in the morning and a beer or two with dinner (not great I know) I only really drink water. For what it's worth I've never noticed and food triggers for myself other than alcohol.
    You are not alone, since many rosaceans prefer treating their rosacea with topicals or oral treatments and keep eating/drinking pretty much like you. The candida diet is not for sissies, and you will find out that your love for carbs will be tested. You might think about adding probiotics to your diet since this is now an accepted rosacea treatment.

Leave a comment:

• anemicroyalty
    replied
    Originally posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    What are you eating and drinking typically?

Originally posted by ASordidGod View Post
    I'm really sorry it isn't working for you.

On a selfish level, I've been waiting for a couple of zz threads to be updated to see if I should go back to using it. But the last few I've noticed haven't been positive at all. Plus, I'm no expert at all, but in the ingredients I swear I saw salicylic acid, and I'm concerned that wouldn't be good for my rosacea skin.

Anyway, sorry to take over your thread with my own worries. I really hope it starts working for you soon.
    Yeah I'm not sure, it has many ingredients that are very harsh which is pretty much the opposite of my usual approach to rosacea. I've always thought of rosacea as being like very skin so it's hard for me to understand how it can help. For what it's worth my skin is looking pretty good right now but I'm not sure if it's just because I've cut back on the ZZ even more and it's less irritated, or if it will actually improve past the point where it was before I started. I just want to make sure to give it a really fair trial because I never want to go through the initial outbreak again. How long did you end up trying it for?

Leave a comment:

• antwantsclear
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom Busby View Post
    Squalane is reported to have a carbon chain length of 28-32, so it isn't a food source for malassezia.

Squalane has a very "soft" feel for an oil, behaving like it has a carbon chain length of about 60, and it's very expensive compared to other oils.

However, demodex are a much higher life form (an arachnid) capable of biting/chewing and can presumably eat anything that's small enough to fit into their mouth, including squalane, but no one has ever proposed that it's possible to starve out demodex -- they have to be killed with a miticide/arachnicide.

I don't know why anyone would add yeast extract to a lotion. The product in question by anemicroyalty has so many odd ingredients it's impossible to analyze just one ingredient. Plus, it's my understanding that only High Molecular Weight sodium hyaluronate has wound healing properties, and all the lower weight hyaluronates are skin irritants -- this opinion is based on a large study out of a Toronto hospital that compared the various weight of hyaluronates on burn-victim skin-healing.
    The Ordinary sell plant based Squalane for £5.50 - I wonder if there is any issue with its quality?
    https://www.cultbeauty.co.uk/the-ord...-squalane.html

Do you think Squalane is worthwhile using in general for people with rosacea or is it more specifically for SD you think it works?

Leave a comment:

• antwantsclear
    replied
    An update: I'm pretty sure my skin is not able to tolerate ZZ cream every night; the dryness, scaling and increased sensitivity is just too much. I'm going to start regularly taking breaks and maybe even going down to just using it every other night for awhile. Hopefully this won't impact the treatment too much.
    My skin is able to tolerate Zhongzhou cream every night if I use a barrier repair cream on top of it (using both of them is my nightly routine). I use Dermalogica Barrier repair cream.

Leave a comment:

• ASordidGod
    replied
    I've been using the original. I don't think I saw the cosmetic version for sale when I bought it.

Four weeks in I'm still getting new p&p every day, although fewer, and my skin still looks worse than before I started. I'm not sure if it's taking longer because I'm taking some nights off or if it isn't going to work for me but I'm starting to get a little discouraged and my skin looking so bad for the past several weeks is taking its toll. I think I might go down to applying it every other night just to give my skin more of a break and hope that isn't too little to potentially get results.
    I'm really sorry it isn't working for you.

On a selfish level, I've been waiting for a couple of zz threads to be updated to see if I should go back to using it. But the last few I've noticed haven't been positive at all. Plus, I'm no expert at all, but in the ingredients I swear I saw salicylic acid, and I'm concerned that wouldn't be good for my rosacea skin.

Anyway, sorry to take over your thread with my own worries. I really hope it starts working for you soon.

Leave a comment:

• Brady Barrows
    replied
    I've been using the original. I don't think I saw the cosmetic version for sale when I bought it.
    Four weeks in I'm still getting new p&p every day, although fewer, and my skin still looks worse than before I started. I'm not sure if it's taking longer because I'm taking some nights off or if it isn't going to work for me but I'm starting to get a little discouraged and my skin looking so bad for the past several weeks is taking its toll. I think I might go down to applying it every other night just to give my skin more of a break and hope that isn't too little to potentially get results.
    What are you eating and drinking typically?

Leave a comment:

• anemicroyalty
    replied
    Originally posted by redvelvet View Post
    Hi anemicroyalty,
    Sorry for the delayed response, although it does seem most of your questions have been answered. You are in good hands with Brady and Tom. I remember having new symptoms/occurrences every day in the first few weeks of ZZ, and I would come on here and describe my symptoms because they seemed so strange. I don't recall having any darker tone to my skin, although I did flush a lot more in that first month. This could have been due to a lot of different vitamins I was taking, or due to some detoxes I was doing. However it did all normalize eventually. Question: Did you buy the Original ZZ or the Cosmetic? The Original has Boric Acid, and some people feel this is too strong to use on their skin every day.
    Best of Luck!

Leave a comment:

• redvelvet
    replied
    Thank you for the reply and the tip about the eyebrows, I didn't even think of that! Do you use anything for your scalp/eyelashes? I haven't really had any issues there other than some light dandruff around the hairline (which I'm now guessing is probably mite related) but I'm a bit worried about them migrating there. I just did an apple cider vinegar rinse on my scalp in the shower and used some tea tree oil cleanser on my lash area so hopefully that helps? I don't have anything else on hand.

So I've been applying the diluted ZZ cream to my whole face and interestingly my forehead, which never had issues before, has broken out in quite a few bumps. I believe I'm having a die off reaction all over (at least I hope that's what it is) and my skin looks probably the worst it ever has. I can handle temporarily horrible skin but it is a little scary, I remember reading someone's posts here (I can't remember who now) who felt their skin was damaged by the ZZ cream and ended up worse than before and hadn't recovered even long term. I will stick with it but I did take last night off because the dryness was getting too much--is it ok to skip a night here and there? The texture of my skin has changed in an interesting way, it feels dry and tight but also somewhat smoother, softer and more tough almost--maybe it's just kind of leathery from being dry but it feels less fragile somehow. I usually have a lot of dead skin that balls up and rubs off in the shower but I don't seem to now. I'm not sure if that's just from the salicylic acid or if it's more than that. I am a bit sore, especially on my forehead, but that's also how it feels when it's dry so I'm not sure at what point I should be concerned. The overall redness has gone down a bit after taking the night off. I'm not sure if it's just my imagination but I feel like my skin overall looks a bit darker/muddier (I am naturally very pale). For what it's worth I did do a patch test to make sure I'm not allergic.

Editing to add: Ok, to be honest I am, despite myself, freaking out a bit. I know it gets worse before it gets better but is there a chance I could be making my skin worse long-term? Could I be having an increase in pustules from anything other than die off? It does really look like I'm having all the bumps and pustules that I would in several months all at once, so I guess I would have probably had them anyway, I'm just worrying about scarring or aggravating my rosacea to a worse stage and then not having it return to normal after stopping ZZ cream. Can anyone tell me if this is a founded fear?

A little bit more about my skin before: I wasn't actively trying to treat it but just using gentle skincare and trying to eat well (I admittedly drink a bit too much and probably sometimes have too much sugar). My flushing/general redness were a bit improved but I was starting to get more bumps that weren't huge but would linger for many weeks and leave red marks/never seemed to fully go away and would go down and reappear, though I would only ever have a few active spots at a time, usually on my cheeks. I'm 32 and a woman, if that's relevant. It might also be worth mentioning that I've had exfoliative cheilitis for most of my life, though I'm not sure if that's connected. It kind of feels like overall my skin (at least everywhere on my head) is just sheds/peels more than most people's seems to. I was also working with a naturopath for a possible systemic candida overgrowth before the quarantine started but that's kind of on hold for now. It feels to me like these things are probably all connected.

Sorry for a ton of information, I'm not really sure what's relevant or not and my anxiety is getting the best of me.
    Hi anemicroyalty,
    Sorry for the delayed response, although it does seem most of your questions have been answered. You are in good hands with Brady and Tom. I remember having new symptoms/occurrences every day in the first few weeks of ZZ, and I would come on here and describe my symptoms because they seemed so strange. I don't recall having any darker tone to my skin, although I did flush a lot more in that first month. This could have been due to a lot of different vitamins I was taking, or due to some detoxes I was doing. However it did all normalize eventually. Question: Did you buy the Original ZZ or the Cosmetic? The Original has Boric Acid, and some people feel this is too strong to use on their skin every day.
    Best of Luck!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X