Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ZZ cream for Type 1 or am I wasting my time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZZ cream for Type 1 or am I wasting my time?

I recently tried zz cream last night. It's very strong, made my eyes water, and feels weird / tingles on my skin.

My skin seems slightly worse today. Is it even worth continuing if I have type 1?

There are numerous threads in RF about using the ZZ cream, i.e., this one, and you could probably spend hours reading the different ones. Type in the search box ZZ and notice all the different threads. Many report success with it. But just like all treatments for rosacea, there isn't one treatment that works for EVERYONE, not one.

Recommend when you apply the ZZ cream, you do so at night after washing your face with just water, being careful not to get the cream near your eyes since it usually causes tearing, or if you must apply near the eyes, close your eyes and then after applying the cream, just go to bed, careful not to lay your face on your pillow, until after it dries. In the AM wash the cream off and apply your favorite moisturizer if you have dry skin, and nothing if you have oily skin. It is worth going through this for a month to see if you skin improves. You should know within a month if the ZZ cream is working for you or not. Takes three or four months for clearance.

It clears up phenotype 4 but also works with phenotype 2.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Originally posted by beherenow View Post
      I recently tried zz cream last night. It's very strong, made my eyes water, and feels weird / tingles on my skin.

My skin seems slightly worse today. Is it even worth continuing if I have type 1?
      I recently shared ZZ cream with a friend who has type 1 rosacea and she did get very red the first week but then it cleared up completely. If ZZ cream is going to work, it will probably get worse before it gets better. I am on day 46 now of ZZ and I must say my redness and even flushing are almost completely gone. my goal was just to get rid of the red marks/pustules (see my original post with pics ) but the ZZ cream has gone way beyond that for me. I also did a gut cleanse and changed my moisturizer to Calm by Arbonne which is all plant based/chemical free and honestly my skin feels and looks better than it did before I even discovered I had rosacea. I feel like I’m a walking commercial for rosacea treatment because no one can believe how clear my skin is in just 1.5 months. There are tricks to the ZZ cream. You must moisturize. You may need to water down the cream. You may need to use 1/day or every other day. Keep us posted!

Comment

Originally posted by redvelvet View Post
        I recently shared ZZ cream with a friend who has type 1 rosacea and she did get very red the first week but then it cleared up completely. If ZZ cream is going to work, it will probably get worse before it gets better. I am on day 46 now of ZZ and I must say my redness and even flushing are almost completely gone. my goal was just to get rid of the red marks/pustules (see my original post with pics ) but the ZZ cream has gone way beyond that for me. I also did a gut cleanse and changed my moisturizer to Calm by Arbonne which is all plant based/chemical free and honestly my skin feels and looks better than it did before I even discovered I had rosacea. I feel like I’m a walking commercial for rosacea treatment because no one can believe how clear my skin is in just 1.5 months. There are tricks to the ZZ cream. You must moisturize. You may need to water down the cream. You may need to use 1/day or every other day. Keep us posted!
        The redness caused by ZZ cleared up or she saw improvement in her normal baseline redness? Does she still use it? How long was it worse before better for you?

Is it fine to use once or twice a week from the beginning if I don't have bumps / inflammation?
        Last edited by beherenow; 15 January 2020, 04:26 AM.

Comment

The redness caused by ZZ cleared up or she saw improvement in her normal baseline redness? Does she still use it? How long was it worse before better for you?

Is it fine to use once or twice a week from the beginning if I don't have bumps / inflammation?
          The redness caused by her ZZ cleared up in a few days, then the rosacea redness cleared up in the first week. Then her skin started to feel burned and sensitive so she cut down to every other night and she’s doing fantastic. She’s been using it for 3 weeks now. For me, I was using a tea tree oil mixture for a week leading up to ZZ so my face was in pretty rough shape with a lot of die- off going on. I think by day 3 or 4 of ZZ my skin looked really clear, and it continued to improve. I used morning and night and now every night and ever other morning.

It’s hard to know what the right program will be for you. It’s different for everyone. My skin loves ZZ but a lot of people are very sensitive to it. I would at least give it a solid week with daily use and see how you react to it. It is also highly recommend to taken vitamin B2 which i think has played a huge roll in my progress. You should spot test the ZZ on your wrist to make sure you are not allergic, and only use a tiny amount. I water mine down at least 50%. Good luck!

Comment

Nearly everyone seems to get this effect on the eyes in the first week or so (i.e. a little stinging or tearing) then the eyes seem to be de-sensitised to it, but as Brady says try to keep the ZZ away from the eyes.

Another effect of the ZZ on the eyes that may be longer lasting is potentially to lead to a little puffyness around the eyes - I've noticed this and others have commented on this too. Interested what anyone else has to say about this longer lasting eye effect who has been using ZZ for several months. This is a physical effect, but without the sensation of stinging/burning/tearing.

Comment

It Gets Worse Before it Gets Better is usually what happens in any demodectic rosacea treatment, i.e., Soolantra (ivermectin), horse paste, ZZ cream, and others....
              Brady Barrows
              Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

I tried it years ago for two months and more recently again. Made my skin slightly more red and it got worse the longer I used it, also bigger flushes at random times. Can't see how this will help type 1 flushes who have never had papules and pustules.

Comment

Originally posted by redtere View Post
                  I tried it years ago for two months and more recently again. Made my skin slightly more red and it got worse the longer I used it, also bigger flushes at random times. Can't see how this will help type 1 flushes who have never had papules and pustules.
                  I too am having trouble with it I’ve had to stop as my skin was getting more sensitive and sore.

It’s too harsh and drying my skin is so dry and thin it cracks.

I’m trying to repair it at the moment.

Maybe winter is not a great time to try it .

Comment

Originally posted by redtere View Post
                    It reduces the demodex mite population which reduces flushing and redness. But you do need to be careful that it doesn't make the skin too dry or the epidermis will be impaired in which case you'll flush more. That is why there is also a discussion around Zhongzhou around various forms of moisturising - I recommend Skinceuticals Epidermal cream. If I just applied Zhongzhou cream every day in a heavy dose my skin would become too dry and my skin would become worse.

In the end, one cream will not solve complex cases of rosacea - you need to consider medicines; diet and supplements; topical approaches; psychological approaches. It's a difficult condition to treat.

Comment

the problem is knowing if it is purging or just getting worse. Usually when I get bumps which I never do I can accept its purging but if its just getting sore, red and more sensitive for me I have to stop it.
                      maybe ZZ cream is enough to apply few times a week instead of every night.

It would be two weeks tomorrow and as for now I would rather stop ZZ

Comment

Originally posted by opare View Post
                        the problem is knowing if it is purging or just getting worse. Usually when I get bumps which I never do I can accept its purging but if its just getting sore, red and more sensitive for me I have to stop it.
                        maybe ZZ cream is enough to apply few times a week instead of every night.

It would be two weeks tomorrow and as for now I would rather stop ZZ
                        I agree if it did indeed kills a Demodex surely you don’t have to use it every day.

The face wash I was using I can no longer use as my face is to sore and dry now .

Maybe it’s just me and my skin is not strong enough for it .

Comment

Originally posted by Rubydo1 View Post
                          I agree if it did indeed kills a Demodex surely you don’t have to use it every day.

The face wash I was using I can no longer use as my face is to sore and dry now .

Maybe it’s just me and my skin is not strong enough for it .
                          95% of adults have demodex mites - the problem is people with rosacea often have more of them than the average person and they cause damage to the skin and blood vessels. Even if you get rid of every last mite, which would only be possible with oral ivermectin and similar drugs, you would most probably catch them again. So with a topical cream, it is all about managing the population, not completely eliminating them. However, if you only put Zhongzhou cream on the face without concurrently treating the scalp (demodex mites like to live in hair follicles) you will struggle to manage the population, let alone eliminate them. They are very hard to manage and breed very easily. I didn't realise this when I first tried to manage them, but managing them is really important if you want to reduce rosacea symptoms - but it is not the only thing that's necessary. I wish I'd known this earlier.

Other than using various moisturising creams to reduce the dryness from Zhongzhou cream, I believe taking hydroxychloroquine and Solgar MSM also help reduce any inflammation/trauma to the skin from Zhongzhou cream. I think if you have a difficult case of rosacea you can't just rely on one treatment alone to really get to grips with it.

The level of destruction the mites can cause and the difficulty in managing demodex mite population is well explained on this website:
                          http://www.delusionalinsects.com/
                          Last edited by antwantsclear; 16 January 2020, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by antwantsclear View Post
                            95% of adults have demodex mites - the problem is people with rosacea often have more of them than the average person and they cause damage to the skin and blood vessels. Even if you get rid of every last mite, which would only be possible with oral ivermectin and similar drugs, you would most probably catch them again. So with a topical cream, it is all about managing the population, not completely eliminating them. However, if you only put Zhongzhou cream on the face without concurrently treating the scalp (demodex mites like to live in hair follicles) you will struggle to manage the population, let alone eliminate them. They are very hard to manage and breed very easily. I didn't realise this when I first tried to manage them, but managing them is really important if you want to reduce rosacea symptoms - but it is not the only thing that's necessary. I wish I'd known this earlier.

Other than using various moisturising creams to reduce the dryness from Zhongzhou cream, I believe taking hydroxychloroquine and Solgar MSM also help reduce any inflammation/trauma to the skin from Zhongzhou cream. I think if you have a difficult case of rosacea you can't just rely on one treatment alone to really get to grips with it.

The level of destruction the mites can cause and the difficulty in managing demodex mite population is well explained on this website:
                            http://www.delusionalinsects.com/
                            Thanks for the information. What’s your view on IPL for managing Demodex?
                            I’m gonna ask about oral treatment for demodex but I already know what the Derms response will be.
                            I’ve gone back to soolantra for the time being. I will be asking the derm how long you can use this cream safely. Problem I’ve got is I also have constantly shedding lips for years I have no idea what causes this but it seems to be spreading beyond my lips so you can imagine zz cream on my face is not great for that either.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubydo1 View Post
                              Thanks for the information. What’s your view on IPL for managing Demodex?
                              I’m gonna ask about oral treatment for demodex but I already know what the Derms response will be.
                              I’ve gone back to soolantra for the time being. I will be asking the derm how long you can use this cream safely. Problem I’ve got is I also have constantly shedding lips for years I have no idea what causes this but it seems to be spreading beyond my lips so you can imagine zz cream on my face is not great for that either.
                              I can't remember if you said if you'd taken roaccutane in the past? The cracked/shedding lips is a problem that can persist long after you finish treatment with that. Vaseline is the best treatment for dry/cracked lips probably. But as I said in the other thread, tea tree oil toothpaste may help to remove some of the bacteria in the mouth. Do you get mouth sores as well?

There are a lot of good treatments for the mouth at www.mouthulcers.co.uk.

Comment

Working...
                              X