Topical MSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topical MSM

Has anyone used and had any relief with a topical MSM product? Here's a small study showing that a topical treatment of MSM and silymarin may help alleviate some symptoms and reduce redness especially in subtype 1 rosaceans - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18254805

Here's a link to a case where topical MSM significantly (95%) improved this person's symptoms - https://rosacea-support.org/communit...hp?f=24&t=4368

I've taken it orally, up to 9 grams a day, but saw no improvements but I'm willing to try a topical product.

Please link/name any products that you've tried whether they worked or not.

Thanks

I haven't found topical MSM to be helpful so far. However, I do find Solgar oral MSM 1000mg tablets helpful. You can build up to around 6 per day, but I started with one. I have tried one or two other oral brands of MSM and didn't find them helpful, so Solgar may work better for some. It's usually seen as one of the better quality brands of supplements.

Comment

Originally posted by antwantsclear View Post
      I haven't found topical MSM to be helpful so far. However, I do find Solgar oral MSM 1000mg tablets helpful. You can build up to around 6 per day, but I started with one. I have tried one or two other oral brands of MSM and didn't find them helpful, so Solgar may work better for some. It's usually seen as one of the better quality brands of supplements.
      That's unfortunate. What brand topical did you use?
      Just looked up Solgar and they use OptiMSM which is apparently a brand with a good reputation of being a pure form of MSM. Perhaps that's why other brands didn't work for you. I've tried one I bought in bulk from ebay and a store bought one. The store bought one helped my brother with his joints so I guess it "works" but it didn't really do anything for me.

Last night I tried the suggestion from the thread I linked to and mixed MSM powder with a few dropped of water and put it on my face. It was fine for about half an hour until it dried. At that point I felt my skin get tight and when I looked in the mirror it was flushed. I washed it off and put on my usual zinc cream. This morning although my skin has calmed down I think it's a litter redder than usual. So yeah, not sure about trying an MSM cream anymore unless I can get a sample first to make sure it doesn't irritate my skin.

Comment

I used the MSM cream in the study I think, as I checked the ingredients and brand and it was the same one. It's so long ago I tried it though I don't remember the brand. MSM, whether in cream or oral form, is a helpful extra for rosacea, but I have not heard of it making a dramatic difference by itself to most people's rosacea.

I think it's worth trying Solgar MSM to see if it makes a difference.

Anti-flushing medicines like clonidine, mirtazapine, hydroxychloroquine and moxonodine are likely to have a more dramatic impact on type 1 rosacea. Antibiotics such as doxycycline are likely to have a more dramatic impact on type 2.

Diet (low carbohydrate as discussed in the relevant section of this forum) can also have a more dramatic impact than MSM.

However, you may just find that MSM can be a helpful extra. But in my experience it cannot stop the progression of rosacea, for example, by itself, and I started taking it first when my rosacea was very mild.

Comment

Have you used any of those anti flush meds? Only clonidine is mentioned as being used for flushing though while the others aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex1927 View Post
            Have you used any of those anti flush meds? Only clonidine is mentioned as being used for flushing though while the others aren't.
            These medicines are used 'off label' to treat rosacea. You will find many people on this forum who have been treated with some combination of them. I've tried all of these medications at some point. You will find more about different people's experiences of them if you search for them one by one in the 'search' box on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by antwantsclear View Post
              These medicines are used 'off label' to treat rosacea. You will find many people on this forum who have been treated with some combination of them. I've tried all of these medications at some point. You will find more about different people's experiences of them if you search for them one by one in the 'search' box on this forum.
              Yeah I'll definitely do that. Cheers.

Comment

Hi, I've used MSM as a topical and internally in capsule form. I had improved results using both together. I don't know if one was better than the other.

I'm subtype 1 - the red and flushy type.

I had gone overseas earlier this year and ran out of my MSM stash, so fell off and am now getting back on my routine.

I take around 3-6 grams of MSM capsules a day. The MSM lotion I use is by Now Foods - on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BY47L8

I've seen MSM creams, too, that I'm tempted to try. But I just re-ordered the above lotion for now since I've run out and have used it before.

It dries matte, so doesn't feel moisturizing, which I don't care for, so I mix a dollop of MSM lotion with a dollop of moisturizer in my hand and apply that mixture.

What I feel it helped me with was keeping my skin calm. Helping me wake up with less flushiness. I felt my skin was lighter - but that probably because it the redness was calm (vessels not that dilated) vs any red marks being faded. Though I've seen reviews where people talk about MSM cream helping for their discolorations.

But again, I used th MSM lotion with the MSM capsule (Doctor's Best brand 1000 mg).

I also have mixed calamine lotion with moisturizer and spread that on before bed. And that has a similar effect in calming my skin and helping me wake up pale and not flush. Not too much calamine, though - as it can feel and be drying. So less a teaspoon or less mixed with the roughly same size in moisturizer.

Comment

Hey hg24 how much improve would I say you have against the redness of the skin? And do you think the msm cream fixes barrier or repairs skin?

Comment

Well, I started taking it every day at the beginning of the year. In helping my skin be calmer, it was paler, but I could still flush to warm rooms and lights. So I would still get red when I flushed. But at rest, I was lighter.

I started taking it because I had read not only about its anti-inflammatory effects, but also that it had helped other people with their skin. I was hoping it would help with my skin barrier.

I went overseas, though, and ran out of lotion. I tried using the MSM capsule contents - mixed with water as a paste - on my face. But I was sent into an immediate burning dark flush! Maybe the contents had a filler. But that was a no-go. Then I ran out of capsules. I flushed a lot in Europe. No air conditioning!

So having returned, am trying to get back on the routine to see if I can recapture some of my initial success.

If you search on Google, there are a handful of threads on reddit about MSM and rosacea. People there are reporting their success with it.

I was having breakouts overseas, not usual for me, and came home with them. The MSM and a return to my usual diet took the bumps away.

The thing I'm working on now is trying to find a way to protect myself against the trigger of heat and lights. Warm rooms, computer screens, bright lights - ugh. I wish I could thicken my skin. It always feels so thin and defenseless against the temperatures - in an office, restaurants, etc.

It seems the more we can stabilize the flushing, the more our skin can heal. And the less easily provoked our vessels become to usual triggers. And so far, the only way I seem to be able to lower my flushing is through diet, water and MSM.

In recent days, I've taken some flaxseed oil to lower inflammation further. But am still researching that and am not on a regular routine with it yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X