Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to treat w/ Tea Tree, rash of some sort popped up after months, pic included

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to treat w/ Tea Tree, rash of some sort popped up after months, pic included

Hi everyone, first post but long time reader.

I went to the dermatologist a few years ago because of red bumps and blushing very easily. I was put on Doxy 50mg and Metro Cream. After getting sick of high copays, visit charges, prescription charges, and not wanting to take a pill for the rest of my life, I read in great detail about treating with tea tree. I also read a lot about the possibility of demodex mites. I also am using a tea tree face wash and shampoo from Trader Joe's.

Anyways, I ordered some 100% tea tree along with almond carrier oil. I mixed at about 50% strength and apply at night everyday. I did this for about 7 months and was pleased with the results. The past month though I've had this rash of some sort only on 1 part of my face. Any idea what this is? I have always had slight acne but nothing crazy. This also seems different as it is a little rough, red and can get dry. The rest of my face is pretty clear except for the occasional zit here and there.

20150602_203004_HDR-1.jpg
    Last edited by DKMin; 3 June 2015, 01:52 AM.

are you going to reapply the pure TTO to the spot? have you already? what were the results?

Comment

Originally posted by it_burns View Post
      are you going to reapply the pure TTO to the spot? have you already? what were the results?
      I was always applying the 50% to my face at night. I'm worried this is a result of the tea tree. I have not put full strength on it. I don't think this is rosacea, my rosacea was never bad like that. I just had small red bumps on the forehead (couldn't see from even a few feet away) and blushed easily. I think this is a rash or something.

Comment

To me it looks like it could be an allergic reaction, possibly unrelated to TTO/Almond oil.

Do you take anything for general seasonal allergies? If not, maybe an antihistamine would help?

I haven't used Almond oil, but just the word "Almond" makes me thing of allergies! I've had great experiences with Rosehip oil as a TTO carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by bob4324 View Post
          To me it looks like it could be an allergic reaction, possibly unrelated to TTO/Almond oil.

Do you take anything for general seasonal allergies? If not, maybe an antihistamine would help?

I haven't used Almond oil, but just the word "Almond" makes me thing of allergies! I've had great experiences with Rosehip oil as a TTO carrier.

Thanks for the reply. I have no known allergies.

Here is what I am scared it is, I didn't want to say because this would be horrible but...I think it may be contact dermatitis from the TTO. If it is, does that mean I have become sensitized and developed an allergy to TTO? I have heard of this happening. I really hope not because this treatment was working fairly well and I was off all prescriptions which I hate to take (not to mention the cost). What if I made a weaker 40% solution or something?

Comment

Hi, Lowering the percentage couldn't hurt as a trial. I think a break is good for skin anyway. Do you have seb derm as well as rosacea? It looks a little seb dermy.

Comment

My opinion is that 50% dilution is too high for use on the face and you could be developing sensitization. Also, 7 months is a very long time to be using this daily. There is no reason to continue an essential oil indefinitely after your symptoms have gone. I would stop using the TTO and try something like a chamomile of green tea tea bag or rosewater on the irritated spot. You can always go back to the TTO if the rest of your face worsens, but I would dilute it to a 5% concentration and try a different oil carrier like jojoba.

Comment

Originally posted by hg24 View Post
                Hi, Lowering the percentage couldn't hurt as a trial. I think a break is good for skin anyway. Do you have seb derm as well as rosacea? It looks a little seb dermy.
                Seb derm is like an eczema, isn't it? No, this is the only spot on one side of my nose.

Comment

Originally posted by lwemm View Post
                  My opinion is that 50% dilution is too high for use on the face and you could be developing sensitization. Also, 7 months is a very long time to be using this daily. There is no reason to continue an essential oil indefinitely after your symptoms have gone. I would stop using the TTO and try something like a chamomile of green tea tea bag or rosewater on the irritated spot. You can always go back to the TTO if the rest of your face worsens, but I would dilute it to a 5% concentration and try a different oil carrier like jojoba.
                  I thought Rosacea is for life and never goes away, you have to control it right? That is why I thought daily TTO is what I needed to do to control it. I can try stopping but I have a concern of starting to blush/flush easily again. I don't really have social anxiety or anything, I have a lot of friends and do things all the time. It is just certain settings I flush very easily. I also am NOT a public speaker type person, that always makes me crazy nervous. So, that is my fear, when I stop this TTO the spot on my nose might go away but will I start flushing easily again? That is actually the reason I first went to the dermatologist, I wanted to fix my flushing and they thought I may have a slight rosacea case. She just looked at my face, didn't do any testing or anything. I also never had any surface veining or anything like that. I just flushed easily and had some little bumps on my forehead area.

Comment

Maybe next just try a lower percentage and how about going around that patch of bumps and not treating them with the mixture? Maybe try Lotrimin Ultra on that spot of bumps?

Comment

Originally posted by DKMin View Post
                      I thought Rosacea is for life and never goes away, you have to control it right? That is why I thought daily TTO is what I needed to do to control it. I can try stopping but I have a concern of starting to blush/flush easily again. I don't really have social anxiety or anything, I have a lot of friends and do things all the time. It is just certain settings I flush very easily. I also am NOT a public speaker type person, that always makes me crazy nervous. So, that is my fear, when I stop this TTO the spot on my nose might go away but will I start flushing easily again? That is actually the reason I first went to the dermatologist, I wanted to fix my flushing and they thought I may have a slight rosacea case. She just looked at my face, didn't do any testing or anything. I also never had any surface veining or anything like that. I just flushed easily and had some little bumps on my forehead area.
                      If your rosacea is caused by Demodex overpopulation, which is what the TTO is supposed to treat, then they would be long gone after 7 months of treatment. It is important to give yourself a rest from strong essential oils so as to avoid sensitizing yourself or getting toxic effects. I would stop with daily application but have a stronger treatment solution on hand in case you start feeling like you need it again. If you do, treat for a few weeks or until symptoms subside or use a moisturizer or cleanser with much lower dose TTO (<2%) as a daily regimen for prevention. Here are some links regarding safe use of essential oils; the first one is by two well respected and experienced herbalists that I am familiar with. Tea tree oil is considered safe by many herbalists for undiluted use in adults but only for short periods for spot application, like on a wart, pimple or small area. Some herbalist do not consider undiluted application of any essential oil to be a safe practice, as in the third link. I don't think you would find any that would advise a 50% dilution on your face daily for 7 months as it could hurt you. You want to use only as much as you need to get benefit and not overdo it. Hope this helps.

http://www.healthy.net/Health/Articl...and_Herbs/1711
                      http://www.learningabouteos.com/inde...ssential-oils/
                      http://www.aromaweb.com/articles/dil...entialoils.asp
                      http://www.natural-remedies-review.c...il-dosage.html

Comment

Originally posted by DKMin View Post
                        Hi everyone, first post but long time reader.

I went to the dermatologist a few years ago because of red bumps and blushing very easily. I was put on Doxy 50mg and Metro Cream. After getting sick of high copays, visit charges, prescription charges, and not wanting to take a pill for the rest of my life, I read in great detail about treating with tea tree. I also read a lot about the possibility of demodex mites. I also am using a tea tree face wash and shampoo from Trader Joe's.

Anyways, I ordered some 100% tea tree along with almond carrier oil. I mixed at about 50% strength and apply at night everyday. I did this for about 7 months and was pleased with the results. The past month though I've had this rash of some sort only on 1 part of my face. Any idea what this is? I have always had slight acne but nothing crazy. This also seems different as it is a little rough, red and can get dry. The rest of my face is pretty clear except for the occasional zit here and there.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3327[/ATTACH]
                        Does the affected area burn or is it sensitive at all? I agree with lwemm and maybe to try having a rest from the TTO for a bit to see what happens. Hope you get some relief from it soon.

Comment

Wow, I did a ton of reading and thought this TTO thing would be for life to control it. I don't even know if it was demodex but the TTO seemed to help with the red bumps and my flushing.

I will try going off it but have a worry about flushing often again. Is there anything I can use at this point to help toughen my skin and prevent flushing/blushing?

Comment

Why don't you try tapering and see how you do? Then you can better tell if you still need it and/or how much you need to use it. Try using it every other day. Then just three times a week, then two times, then one time. It may be that you can go into maintenance at just twice a week or once a week or you may be fine without it or only need to use for a few days after a random flare up.

I doubt the TTO is preventing you from flushing. My guess is the sweet almond oil is giving you the benefit by hydrating your skin and lowering inflammation. You might be fine transitioning to a good moisturizer on days you don't use the TTO. One thing I used to do was put a drop or two of jojoba oil in my moisturizer.

But anywho, my advice is just taper off a bit from things and see how you do and what number of applications and strength works for you.

It's hard to know what those bumps are. If they don't go away and they bug you enough, just go to a derm and ask what they think. I'd still look at Lotrimin. It's cheap and it may do the trick. Also, try Neosporin Eczema Essentials Moisturizing cream (withOUT cortisone). It has colloidal oatmeal. It might heal the rash straight away. I'm finding it great for inflammatory bumps and skin barrier. And some other folks on the forum here are having success with it, too. Good luck!
                            Last edited by hg24; 5 June 2015, 01:40 AM.

Comment

What concentration should I try? I see a lot of people say no more than 2%! I will make a weaker concentration and only use it every other day. I will try using a face moisturizer on off days. The spot doesn't bother me physically, it is bumpy and can get dry, doesn't hurt or anything though, just looks bad. Will look into jojoba too, thanks for all this help!

Comment

Working...
                              X