X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brady Barrows
    replied
    Originally posted by 3jun View Post
    Hi, DianaLynn! How is your rosacea going? I am willing to try the GAPS diet and a course of herbal antibiotics to treat my SIBO (and candida and parasites, if I have them).
    I know this post is from years ago but I hope you will see my message (or anyone who has done the same)... I have also bought the book from Pitchford!

Hope you are well!
    3jun,
    You have dug up an old post which was started by DianaLynn [post no 1] on the first page of this thread on 4th February 2013 11:30 PM. DianaLynn's last post was on 5th August 2014 11:15 PM where she states, "I have been in remission for well over a year." DianaLynn is long gone along with many of the other 36,394 inactive members (36,808 members subtracting the 414 active members as of this date) that have gone off into rosacea remission or RF inactivity or the rosacea twilight zone. I see you understand all this with your stating 'I know this post is from years ago but I hope you will see my message (or anyone who has done the same)...," so maybe one of the 414 active members might read your post and respond. PaulR also tried to dig up this thread after nearly two years of inactivity and that was it for Paul, he never posted again and no one responded. I thought it would be good to at least acknowledge your post and hope for the best. Where have all the rosaceans gone? Long time passing.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 31 May 2018, 11:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 3jun
    replied
    Originally posted by DianaLynn View Post
    After 10 days into my treatment, my heat condition with flushing type Rosacea completely cleared up and has remained stable for 2 months now. I do not flush from carbs, and my skin looks clear and pale after 4 years of rosacea. I feel more energetic and stable and am gaining much needed weight back.
    Before starting the herbs to clear parasites, I had had very good results by staying on a carb-regulated diet that rebuilds the GI tract, but not quite a full recovery. My naturopath put me on the Body Ecology Diet, suspecting I had excess candida that was causing possible gut dysbioses and the flushing. After 6 months on the diet, there was still a bit of excess heat, slightly pink skin off and on, and a bit of flushing if I tried to eat carbs such as potato or winter squash, and fruits. The continued symptoms had my doctor and I suspecting there may be other pathogens besides candida. Parasites and pathogenic bacteria can cause a reaction to carbs. They feed directly on carbs and cause GI tract inflammation, gut dysbiosis, heat conditions and possibly flushing or skin issues. Diet alone will not purge parasites and all pathogens.
    There are only a couple labs in the country that specialize in parasite testing-mostly diagnosing intestinal varieties, and a negative result is not conclusive but may require further inquiry. So, my naturopath and I decided to go ahead and try the herbal treatment method for parasites. It is much safer and effective in treating chronic cases and has fewer if any side effects.
    One can have parasites and be entirely asymptomatic, only displaying symptoms after a period of stress or after a round of antibiotics is used. Antibiotics cause an imbalance in the gut ecology so pathogens can thrive.
    I drank rural spring well water, swam and washed dishes and likely drank mountain water that was known to have amaoeba/giardia and had never done a parasite cleanse. Giardia and other amoeba cysts are not killed by chlorine so can be picked up from public tap water also.
    We suspected some sort of water borne parasite so I chose high doses of timed release Oregano oil capsules by Biotics Research. This choice was made in part because I cannot tolerate complicated multi-ingredient remedies, and for its strong anti-inflammatory action, and it kills a broad spectrum of parasites, not just amoeba. The protocol is to take 4 capsules three times per day for six weeks. I also drank a tea of Oregon Grape Root twice daily.There are other equally effective and less expensive methods than oregano oil capsules. I understand Chaparro Amargosa tincture will also treat all amoeba, and Oregon Grape Root alone has been known to cure giardiasis.
    Traditional Chinese Medicine recognizes chronic parasite infection as a condition that requires long term treatment, (3 -4 months). My favorite guidebook by naturopath Paul Pitchford also recommends several cycles of treatments, rotating herbs. His book also offers several Parasite Purge plans that address different constitutions, as well as the proper diet to have during the treatment to maximize efficacy. Protocols for rebuilding after clearing parasites is also included. You can see a review I did of his book: HEALING WITH WHOLE FOODS if you go to my other posts.
    To continue my treatment according to protocols for chronic parasites, I am taking a very balanced Chinese remedy my naturopath gave me called Thunder Pearls. I will be using just Neem Leaf capsules and continuing with the Oregon Grape Root for my last month., for a total of three months of treatment.
    I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to not expect a quick fix for chronic conditions,to use proper dosages for the required amount of time before deciding if a method is working or not. Also, be careful not to rely on internet posts, including mine, but to check with proper sources before beginning a treatment. Pitchfords 700 page book (cited above) is an excellent starting point and may become an indispensable reference for you. My Naturopath regards this as a reliable reference.

Side-note: the antibiotic Flagyl is the allopathic method for dealing with many parasites, but has not proven to be highly effective in chronic nor in all cases. Multiple dosages are considered dangerous, and you would definitely want to have a confirmed clinical diagnosis before taking it.
    Hi, DianaLynn! How is your rosacea going? I am willing to try the GAPS diet and a course of herbal antibiotics to treat my SIBO (and candida and parasites, if I have them).
    I know this post is from years ago but I hope you will see my message (or anyone who has done the same)... I have also bought the book from Pitchford!

Hope you are well!

Leave a comment:

• Paul R
    replied
    Rosacea type that responded to cleanse

HI Dianalynn,

I am recently diagnosed, with visible dilated facial arteries, flushing and occasional small breakouts. Did you have vascular issues as well that responded to the cleansend?

Anyone else with experience with type 1?

Thanks, Paul

Leave a comment:

• theeseer
    replied
    New to forum Rosecea 4 months

Hi all. I have had an outbreak of moles and now rosecea. I also have tinnitus for the past 3 years and after innumerable doctor visits and failures I have become a reluctant "expert" on all these conditions spending thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours in deep research. I am 67 years old and previously was in great health with a clean diet and vitamin supplements. For this reason in my case I have come to several conclusions. First all these conditions represent a compromised immune system that when I was younger controlled these conditions. Next Doctors are of limited use unless they are open to alternative therapies and age related issues. "Menopause" for men and women can be a root cause of immune weakening and a hormone panel for all sufferers over 40 is a good idea. If your hormones are down or out of balance you will succumb to a variety of problems that are connected. Next acne and seborrheic dermatitutus may be the cause or co incident problem with rosecea. Next parasites may indeed be a problem and for me I am now treating my rosocea with artemisinin for the parasites and various topicals to control the flushing, including alazeic acid, hydrogen peroxide, and zinc oxide wit retinol. I am also using a hormone cream made of DHEA, Pregnenolone and Progesterone to boost my immune system in small amounts delivered anally. So far I am done with the moles, my tinnitus is now low with no headaches but the rocesea will take more time. We are all different so good luck to all and take a look at artimisinin as a parasite cleanser using malaria dosages.

After 10 days into my treatment, my heat condition with flushing type Rosacea completely cleared up and has remained stable for 2 months now. I do not flush from carbs, and my skin looks clear and pale after 4 years of rosacea. I feel more energetic and stable and am gaining much needed weight back.
    Before starting the herbs to clear parasites, I had had very good results by staying on a carb-regulated diet that rebuilds the GI tract, but not quite a full recovery. My naturopath put me on the Body Ecology Diet, suspecting I had excess candida that was causing possible gut dysbioses and the flushing. After 6 months on the diet, there was still a bit of excess heat, slightly pink skin off and on, and a bit of flushing if I tried to eat carbs such as potato or winter squash, and fruits. The continued symptoms had my doctor and I suspecting there may be other pathogens besides candida. Parasites and pathogenic bacteria can cause a reaction to carbs. They feed directly on carbs and cause GI tract inflammation, gut dysbiosis, heat conditions and possibly flushing or skin issues. Diet alone will not purge parasites and all pathogens.
    There are only a couple labs in the country that specialize in parasite testing-mostly diagnosing intestinal varieties, and a negative result is not conclusive but may require further inquiry. So, my naturopath and I decided to go ahead and try the herbal treatment method for parasites. It is much safer and effective in treating chronic cases and has fewer if any side effects.
    One can have parasites and be entirely asymptomatic, only displaying symptoms after a period of stress or after a round of antibiotics is used. Antibiotics cause an imbalance in the gut ecology so pathogens can thrive.
    I drank rural spring well water, swam and washed dishes and likely drank mountain water that was known to have amaoeba/giardia and had never done a parasite cleanse. Giardia and other amoeba cysts are not killed by chlorine so can be picked up from public tap water also.
    We suspected some sort of water borne parasite so I chose high doses of timed release Oregano oil capsules by Biotics Research. This choice was made in part because I cannot tolerate complicated multi-ingredient remedies, and for its strong anti-inflammatory action, and it kills a broad spectrum of parasites, not just amoeba. The protocol is to take 4 capsules three times per day for six weeks. I also drank a tea of Oregon Grape Root twice daily.There are other equally effective and less expensive methods than oregano oil capsules. I understand Chaparro Amargosa tincture will also treat all amoeba, and Oregon Grape Root alone has been known to cure giardiasis.
    Traditional Chinese Medicine recognizes chronic parasite infection as a condition that requires long term treatment, (3 -4 months). My favorite guidebook by naturopath Paul Pitchford also recommends several cycles of treatments, rotating herbs. His book also offers several Parasite Purge plans that address different constitutions, as well as the proper diet to have during the treatment to maximize efficacy. Protocols for rebuilding after clearing parasites is also included. You can see a review I did of his book: HEALING WITH WHOLE FOODS if you go to my other posts.
    To continue my treatment according to protocols for chronic parasites, I am taking a very balanced Chinese remedy my naturopath gave me called Thunder Pearls. I will be using just Neem Leaf capsules and continuing with the Oregon Grape Root for my last month., for a total of three months of treatment.
    I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to not expect a quick fix for chronic conditions,to use proper dosages for the required amount of time before deciding if a method is working or not. Also, be careful not to rely on internet posts, including mine, but to check with proper sources before beginning a treatment. Pitchfords 700 page book (cited above) is an excellent starting point and may become an indispensable reference for you. My Naturopath regards this as a reliable reference.

Side-note: the antibiotic Flagyl is the allopathic method for dealing with many parasites, but has not proven to be highly effective in chronic nor in all cases. Multiple dosages are considered dangerous, and you would definitely want to have a confirmed clinical diagnosis before taking it.

Leave a comment:

• Shikasta
    replied
    Giving the parasite cleanse a try

After having some success with garlic, I wondered if I was dealing with a gut type parasite, which are apparently easily contracted from pets and other environmental factors. My rosacea has been a long onset, starting with flushing--I didn't know at the time what the implications were--in 2002. It wasn't until 2008, when I moved to a new flat, that the full-on symptoms of rosacea blossomed. In a panic, I followed the advice of a dermatologist and went on antibiotics for the better part of a year. I think the new environment played a part in contributing to a genetic pre-disposition inherited from my father's Irish side of the family (my dad definitely had it, but it was never formally diagnosed). The previous renter of the new flat owned a dog, and left some furniture behind which we, the new tenants, kept as part of a living room set. I would never do that again, now that I am a complete germ-a-phobe!

Following the advice of the original poster I bought a book called "Healing with Whole Foods," by Paul Pitchford. Pitchford recommends a protocol of 10 days on, 5 days off, whatever herbal remedy is chosen (ie, raw garlic, wormwood, black walnut, oregano oil, etc.), following the life cycle of the parasite. I had already worked with garlic with success, and wanted to try something additional, perhaps stronger. I've read that oregano oil can compromise the positive gut bacteria the same way antibiotics do, so I eventually decided on a supplement by Gaia Herbs called "Para-Shield," containing a mixture of pomegranate seed extract, black walnut green hulls, sweet wormwood, coptis root, ginger root, gentian root, and clove, and I have been following the recommended dosage on the bottle: two caps twice a day, between meals.

To counteract the die-off which I have been experiencing, I have found that three drops of tea tree oil, on a bar of glycerine soap, worked to a lather and applied and rinsed quickly twice a day, helps with the redness and the eruptions. The tto I use is Tea Tree Therapy. My diet excludes sugar, most carbs, gluten and grains, so I'm already in pretty good shape, and my skin is smooth, without any bumps now, a real triumph for me! But still, there are issues...

I seem to also have developed a mild form of seb derm in the past few months or so, or possibly before then. My problem areas are the exact opposite of the usual t-zone...for me it's the jawline, and around the cheekbones up to my temples. And I have been experiencing increased redness, hives and dryness in this area since starting the parasite cleanse. To counteract this I tried the dead sea salt solution, which stung and caused some inflammation immediately after application. By the next day, this method seems to have been beneficial. However, I prefer using the tto as I don't seem to have any adverse reaction to it at all. Also, believe it or not, including roasted onions on the menu has provided immediate relief from the hives (quercetin in the onions is an anti-histamine)...

I am taking 2-3 caps of hcl with protein meals, and I drink a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in mineral water with non-protein meals. I take 2 caps of an Indian 3-herb mix called triphala twice a day, recommended to me by an ayurvedic councilor, and which has never caused me any problems. It seems very mild, and helps with digestion.

So, 10 days on, 5 days off of the parasite cleanse, for three cycles, which will take me into September. At which point I hope to do some repair with l-glutamine and pre-biotics. Then perhaps at that point I will be able to tolerate pro-biotics...that's the plan!

Leave a comment:

• DianaLynn
    replied
    It important to note that if you also have a Protozoa infection, it can be along with or, or mimic candida and bacterial infection. One can take a simple hydrogen breath test to see if they have bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine. Stool samples are needed to find Protozoa, some are more difficult to track than others.
    Stool samples can also reflect candida numbers, but are not considered conclusive by my naturopath.

Leave a comment:

• DianaLynn
    replied
    The difference between the GAPS Diet and anti candida diets

Originally posted by fole25 View Post
    I have one question. anticandida diet and GAPS diet. What is the difference between this two diets?
    The anti candida diet I am most familiar with, (there are several), is the Body Ecology diet. It aims at removing foods that feed candida- sugars, fruit and most grains, except quinoa, millet and a couple other minor grains that are all antifungal by nature. Food combining plays a lead role, not mixing proteins with starches. Ferments and probiotics including 24 hour fermented yogurt and kefir, are used to populate the gut with friendly bacteria. This diet is fine for its purpose, but if the gut has been compromised by inflammation, Protozoa, is permeable due to damage, one might have to go a bit further to mend.

That's where the GAPS Diet really shines. It is a modern version of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which has been used for 50 years to treat bowel disease. It is not a fad diet. All of theses diets were designed by doctors, naturopaths, dietitians.
    The Gaps diet goes even further than the Body Ecology and other anti candida diets by totally elimnating all grains and potatoes. It relies heavily on bone broths to rebuild the gut lining and immune system. It's a superfood for a damaged system. GAPS also incorporate ferments, but totally eliminates all foods that have a type of carbohydrate that has a tendency to ferment in the gut, or propagate pathogenic bacteria. Crushed garlic is also used to address pathogen, as it does not kill lacto type bacteria which are beneficial.
    Both diets aim to gently and thoroughly restore the body via nutrition, with few or no supplements.
    Some people get through the gaps diet in 3 month, others can take 1-2 years if damage is extensive: allergies, permeable gut, chronic skin disorders, organ dysfunction, etc. GAPs has a graduated sytem in 7 steps for reintegrating proper and all foods back into the diet, which is a must for the allergy prone.

Unfortunately, neither diet is vegetarian. If you eliminate grains as a vegan or vegetarian, there are just vegetables left on the menu. Also, having first done the body ecology diet for one year, then being on the GAPS Diet for 4 months, in my case recovery was quick on the GAPS Diet. I believe in part due to the liberal use of animal fats including Ghee. It states in the GAPS manual that one will recover faster if they liberally use animal fats. I was a bit taken aback by the amount of fats I was consuming, as tolerated, but believe they expedited the healing process. Plus, the grains in the Body Ecology were feeding pathogenic bacteria in my system that appeared after a round of doxycycline.

So, if you have mild candida symptoms, you can likely eliminate them with the anti candida diets. If you have much bacteria overgrowth or damage, which is commonly paired with candida, you may need a more comprehensive plan, such as GAPS.

I also found the menu with the GAPS Diet more satisfying.

Leave a comment:

• fole25
    replied
    I have one question. anticandida diet and GAPS diet. What is the difference between this two diets?

Leave a comment:

• solutionquest
    replied
    I appreciate your posts as well

For me reading these type threads and getting on diet plans and gut healing plans has made such a difference. I can say this without a doubt for the flushing factor- I never flush anymore- like very very rarely.

Anyway- great thread.

Leave a comment:

• Starlite
    replied
    I thought I should do a follow up post,as test results came back following treatment that may shed some light on this issue for others.
    After the oregano oil regimen, i tested negative for parasites. Necessary steps were taken to heal the immune system and keep unwanted bacterial colonies form thriving. It is important to note that one can still display symptoms until the immune system is fully healed. There is a juncture where more herbs is not the answer, but rebuilding is necessary.
    Here is a repeat of a post I did elsewhere, that you may find useful here. By the way, not to mislead, since my tests came back clear of parasites, that is not conclusive that that was the original issue. I wish I'd tested before doing the treatment. Bacteria can also be quite pathogenic if colonies are too large or have too many misfits.
    So, this original thread should more aptly be titled "oregano oil and GAPS Diet restore my health"

Repeat post on bacterial overgrowth:

I used oregano oil capsules alternating with one clove crushed garlic as an alternative to pharmaceutical antibiotics, ( these herbs are strong antibiotics) for bacterial overgrowth and other suspected pathogens. Oregano oil is also analgesic and anti inflammatory, as well as well as supportive to digestion. Both kill candida, so will not extirpate bacteria and leave you with collateral damage. Garlic does not kill lacto bacteria, so is quite supportive to digestion.
    In my case, this combo worked well in treating bacterial overgrowth. But bacterial Overgrowth will return if the gut/immune system is not fully healed. I think this is where treatment regimens can fail, by not being comprehensive or wholistic enough.
    Allopathic medicine blasts the system with pharmaceutical antibiotics that can cause extensive damage to the immune system and gut, temporarily removing bacteria, but also setting the stage for deeper illness.
    This search and destroy method is unlikely to be a genuine quick fix and we may require deeper understanding of the interrelationships of the entire body to fully heal.
    My bacterial overgrowth was antibiotic induced. Anything that damages the integrity of the gut or gut bacteria can set the stage for SIBO. Research is also linking GMO foods to gut inflammation and immune system dysfunction. One of the few question they ask when you go in for the hydrogen breath test is "Have You Used Antibiotics?"
    My Rosacea went away after the use of oregano oil, garlic and a specific carbohydrate diet that does not feed bacteria, but I still had to rebuild my system carefully and slowly through diet. Throughout the rebuild stage, my skin would flush very slightly if my bacteria counts went up or I ate something I was allergic to. Eventually, as the gut heals, the food allergies go away, along with the flushing, and the gut is healthier and less prone to bacterial overgrowth as the immune system improves.
    The quick fix mentality can lead to further damage/imbalance. It's a good idea to work with a naturopath who understands digestive and immune system issues.
    I REALLY appreciate your posts DianaLynn. I am not so concerned about rosacea any more, but my other health issues are really tuff to cope with so I stay here because other forum members are on this same track of healing their gut.

Leave a comment:

• DianaLynn
    replied
    Update on treatment

I thought I should do a follow up post,as test results came back following treatment that may shed some light on this issue for others.
    After the oregano oil regimen, i tested negative for parasites. Necessary steps were taken to heal the immune system and keep unwanted bacterial colonies form thriving. It is important to note that one can still display symptoms until the immune system is fully healed. There is a juncture where more herbs is not the answer, but rebuilding is necessary.
    Here is a repeat of a post I did elsewhere, that you may find useful here. By the way, not to mislead, since my tests came back clear of parasites, that is not conclusive that that was the original issue. I wish I'd tested before doing the treatment. Bacteria can also be quite pathogenic if colonies are too large or have too many misfits.
    So, this original thread should more aptly be titled "oregano oil and GAPS Diet restore my health"

Repeat post on bacterial overgrowth:

I used oregano oil capsules alternating with one clove crushed garlic as an alternative to pharmaceutical antibiotics, ( these herbs are strong antibiotics) for bacterial overgrowth and other suspected pathogens. Oregano oil is also analgesic and anti inflammatory, as well as well as supportive to digestion. Both kill candida, so will not extirpate bacteria and leave you with collateral damage. Garlic does not kill lacto bacteria, so is quite supportive to digestion.
    In my case, this combo worked well in treating bacterial overgrowth. But bacterial Overgrowth will return if the gut/immune system is not fully healed. I think this is where treatment regimens can fail, by not being comprehensive or wholistic enough.
    Allopathic medicine blasts the system with pharmaceutical antibiotics that can cause extensive damage to the immune system and gut, temporarily removing bacteria, but also setting the stage for deeper illness.
    This search and destroy method is unlikely to be a genuine quick fix and we may require deeper understanding of the interrelationships of the entire body to fully heal.
    My bacterial overgrowth was antibiotic induced. Anything that damages the integrity of the gut or gut bacteria can set the stage for SIBO. Research is also linking GMO foods to gut inflammation and immune system dysfunction. One of the few question they ask when you go in for the hydrogen breath test is "Have You Used Antibiotics?"
    My Rosacea went away after the use of oregano oil, garlic and a specific carbohydrate diet that does not feed bacteria, but I still had to rebuild my system carefully and slowly through diet. Throughout the rebuild stage, my skin would flush very slightly if my bacteria counts went up or I ate something I was allergic to. Eventually, as the gut heals, the food allergies go away, along with the flushing, and the gut is healthier and less prone to bacterial overgrowth as the immune system improves.
    The quick fix mentality can lead to further damage/imbalance. It's a good idea to work with a naturopath who understands digestive and immune system issues.

Leave a comment:

• Vovin
    replied
    Hmmm, on my 2nd day of probiotics i've gotten worse.

My body is really tired, sluggish, and my rosacea flared up again.

I kind of want to go back to the A.D.P.

Leave a comment:

• Vovin
    replied
    So here's something interesting.

In the winter I did a low-carb diet (for rosacea). In a month I lost a lot of weight, so I ended up stopping because it's so hard for me to maintain a normal weight.

This time around I took the A.D.P. pills and went low-carb again for about 3 weeks. I was so worried at the amount of weight I was gonna lose.

I looked at the scale this morning, not only did I not lose weight - I gained a little bit. Maybe I had some kind of parasites that were attributing to my weight loss? Who knows, I guess I will finish the whole bottle and then take probiotics.

Leave a comment:

• Starlite
    replied
    Originally posted by Vovin View Post
    I started taking 4 ADP pills since... Monday? Or something.

I was going to start taking probiotics in a week or so. Does it matter what kind of probiotics I get?
    Yes, you need the count of active organisms to be in the Billions.. and have many different strains, not just acidophilus. It also matters a great deal at this point that you stay low carb. Don't feed the candida. It loves sugar.

Leave a comment:

• Vovin
    replied
    I started taking 4 ADP pills since... Monday? Or something.

I was going to start taking probiotics in a week or so. Does it matter what kind of probiotics I get?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X