Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Vitamin D create more of the cathelicidins that cause rosacea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jd2016
    replied
    Hi OP

I have found great results with Vitamin D3 and it is my understanding that vitamin d3 actually helps to control inflamation and regulate cathelicidins.
    The link to my info is
    https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...for-my-rosacea

Leave a comment:

• Poodle
    replied
    Originally posted by leftybass77 View Post
    I thought is was the cathelicidins that were the key in fighting skin inflammation. "Cathelicidin LL-37 is an important effector molecule of innate immunity in the skin and atopic dermatitis, psoriasis or rosacea show defects in cathelicidin".
    I was looking for ways to boost or normalize my cathelicidins so I'm confused that it may be the cause.
    I have been reading about the Marshall Protocol - ever hear of it? It's an autoimmune treatment that focuses on reductio of Vit D. I'm curious about it for several reasons but am also hopeful to understand more about it's impact on rosacea.

http://MPKB.org/

- poodle

Leave a comment:

• leftybass77
    replied
    I'm confused on this

I thought is was the cathelicidins that were the key in fighting skin inflammation. "Cathelicidin LL-37 is an important effector molecule of innate immunity in the skin and atopic dermatitis, psoriasis or rosacea show defects in cathelicidin".
    I was looking for ways to boost or normalize my cathelicidins so I'm confused that it may be the cause.

Leave a comment:

• mrsmoof
    replied
    Originally posted by V70r View Post
    This might interest you. When it comes to vitamin d.... I don't feel like I get flare ups from drinking milk. But if I drink too much milk I might, I have never tried it. But when I take vitamin d3 supplements i really react to it by flaring up. Another thing. I use to work outside in the sun. When I did my rosacea was 100 times better. What does all this mean??
    I know my rosacea is much better when i am in the sun as well.

Leave a comment:

• downbythebay
    replied
    Originally posted by Brady Barrows View Post
    "Topical application of a 1% (w/w) SAGE emollient to overlying injected skin also reduced erythema and PMN infiltration from intradermal LL-37."
    So how do we make this SAGE emollient? Any thoughts?

Also, does all UVB exposure (regardless of location) invoke global cathelicidin production? For example, if my feet are exposed to the sun then Vitamin D is activated cathelicidin production is invoked. Will the cathelicidin's produce evenly throughout my body or mainly my feet?

Leave a comment:

• Brady Barrows
    replied
    This statements might be of interest for this thread:

"The cause of rosacea has been proposed as over-production of the cationic cathelicidin peptide LL-37."

"Topical application of a 1% (w/w) SAGE emollient to overlying injected skin also reduced erythema and PMN infiltration from intradermal LL-37."

For more info on SAGE emollient.

More info on Cathlecidin.

Leave a comment:

• MasK
    replied
    Originally posted by V70r View Post
    This might interest you. When it comes to vitamin d.... I don't feel like I get flare ups from drinking milk. But if I drink too much milk I might, I have never tried it. But when I take vitamin d3 supplements i really react to it by flaring up. Another thing. I use to work outside in the sun. When I did my rosacea was 100 times better. What does all this mean??
    Vitamin D added to milk is not even close of the one sold as supplement, so it is very difficult to compare.
    And milk is full of things that could provoque reactions; proteins, allergens, ...
    Cow milk is a very poor nutrient, imo.

Leave a comment:

• V70r
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Tmon912
    replied
    Welcome!

Originally posted by trudyl View Post
    Just joined this forum, and was so happy to see this discussion of Vitamin D and rosacea. I've had rosacea for many years, and really felt it was under pretty good control. Then in the last year or so, I've had many flare-ups, been on antibiotics, thought the metrogel no longer worked etc etc.Then doing some research today, found something about Vitamin D being a problem for rosacea sufferers. I work in a medical laboratory, and Vitamin D is all the rage right now, so of course, I jumped right in with that. Now I am going to jump right out of that, and see if my rosacea comes under better control. Thanks so much to all of you for this info.

Welcome, friend! Please remember, though, that this information is quite theoretical and that your personal experience should be taken into account. If you want some supplement ideas, then I suggest: White Willow Bark, Boswellia Serrata, Omega (EPA, DHA, ALA at 18:12:8) Quercerin/bromelain/vitamin-c, quercetone (water soluble quercetin). Those are good for leukotreines, prostaglandins, fatty acid balance, and mast-cell walls. If you're interested, I can also post how to make topical serums of those that are useful.

Leave a comment:

• trudyl
    replied
    Problems with Vitamin D

Just joined this forum, and was so happy to see this discussion of Vitamin D and rosacea. I've had rosacea for many years, and really felt it was under pretty good control. Then in the last year or so, I've had many flare-ups, been on antibiotics, thought the metrogel no longer worked etc etc.Then doing some research today, found something about Vitamin D being a problem for rosacea sufferers. I work in a medical laboratory, and Vitamin D is all the rage right now, so of course, I jumped right in with that. Now I am going to jump right out of that, and see if my rosacea comes under better control. Thanks so much to all of you for this info.

Leave a comment:

• Bloem
    replied
    Originally posted by Melissa W View Post
    Could it be due to something else such as the preservatives in the vitamins? Were the vitamins you tried in the dry form or gel form? I prefer the dry form as that is less reactive.

Best,
    Melissa

Dry form, don't know about the preservatives could be. I did try 2 different brands. But it got so bad that I stopped taking them and I'm to scared to try again. Things are sort of under control right now.

Leave a comment:

• Melissa W
    replied
    Originally posted by Bloem View Post
    D3 made me flush like crazy (within a few days of starting it if I remember correctly). I did not have my levels checked.
    Could it be due to something else such as the preservatives in the vitamins? Were the vitamins you tried in the dry form or gel form? I prefer the dry form as that is less reactive.

Best,
    Melissa

Leave a comment:

• Bloem
    replied
    Originally posted by Tmon912 View Post

Anybody else notice vitamin D3 making their rosacea worse?
    D3 made me flush like crazy (within a few days of starting it if I remember correctly). I did not have my levels checked.

Leave a comment:

• Melissa W
    replied
    Originally posted by mrsmoof View Post
    Wasnt it in the 90's at one time? Also, how is your Rosacea?
    Yes, but my derm asked that I decrease my vitD3 intake from 10,000 IU's so I take about 5,000 (to 7,000) now but my intake does vary as does my outside exposure to the sun. In the summer I am outside all the time and my vit D levels are higher.

I am doing well, thanks for asking. Still on Oracea and still have good days and flares but all in all no complaints. I take it one day at a time and do the best I can. I hope you are doing well.

Best,
    Melissa

Leave a comment:

• mrsmoof
    replied
    Originally posted by Melissa W View Post
    Hi Doug, I haven't had it checked for at least 6 months but it was in the high 60's at that time.
    Wasnt it in the 90's at one time? Also, how is your Rosacea?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X