Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Vitamin D create more of the cathelicidins that cause rosacea?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I have been taking higher doses of vit D3 for a few years now and I think it helps my overall health and my rosacea but these are just anecdotal findings and not hard facts.

    As with everything in rosacea it is such an individual response and difficult to generalize so all you can do is read what other people's experiences are and then decide if it is worth trialing yourself.

    I like to keep my blood levels of D in the 60-90 range and find that taking about 5,000 IU's of D3 helps me do that. As with everything medical though please be sure to OK it with your doctor as the RDA of D3 (I think) is 2,000 max.

    Best,
    Melissa

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Melissa W View Post
      I have been taking higher doses of vit D3 for a few years now and I think it helps my overall health and my rosacea but these are just anecdotal findings and not hard facts.

      As with everything in rosacea it is such an individual response and difficult to generalize so all you can do is read what other people's experiences are and then decide if it is worth trialing yourself.

      I like to keep my blood levels of D in the 60-90 range and find that taking about 5,000 IU's of D3 helps me do that. As with everything medical though please be sure to OK it with your doctor as the RDA of D3 (I think) is 2,000 max.

      Best,
      Melissa

      melissa,

      what is your current vitamin d level?
      Doug

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by mrsmoof View Post
        melissa,

        what is your current vitamin d level?
        Hi Doug, I haven't had it checked for at least 6 months but it was in the high 60's at that time.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Melissa W View Post
          Hi Doug, I haven't had it checked for at least 6 months but it was in the high 60's at that time.
          Wasnt it in the 90's at one time? Also, how is your Rosacea?
          Doug

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by mrsmoof View Post
            Wasnt it in the 90's at one time? Also, how is your Rosacea?
            Yes, but my derm asked that I decrease my vitD3 intake from 10,000 IU's so I take about 5,000 (to 7,000) now but my intake does vary as does my outside exposure to the sun. In the summer I am outside all the time and my vit D levels are higher.

            I am doing well, thanks for asking. Still on Oracea and still have good days and flares but all in all no complaints. I take it one day at a time and do the best I can. I hope you are doing well.

            Best,
            Melissa

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Tmon912 View Post

              Anybody else notice vitamin D3 making their rosacea worse?
              D3 made me flush like crazy (within a few days of starting it if I remember correctly). I did not have my levels checked.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Bloem View Post
                D3 made me flush like crazy (within a few days of starting it if I remember correctly). I did not have my levels checked.
                Could it be due to something else such as the preservatives in the vitamins? Were the vitamins you tried in the dry form or gel form? I prefer the dry form as that is less reactive.

                Best,
                Melissa

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Melissa W View Post
                  Could it be due to something else such as the preservatives in the vitamins? Were the vitamins you tried in the dry form or gel form? I prefer the dry form as that is less reactive.

                  Best,
                  Melissa

                  Dry form, don't know about the preservatives could be. I did try 2 different brands. But it got so bad that I stopped taking them and I'm to scared to try again. Things are sort of under control right now.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Problems with Vitamin D

                    Just joined this forum, and was so happy to see this discussion of Vitamin D and rosacea. I've had rosacea for many years, and really felt it was under pretty good control. Then in the last year or so, I've had many flare-ups, been on antibiotics, thought the metrogel no longer worked etc etc.Then doing some research today, found something about Vitamin D being a problem for rosacea sufferers. I work in a medical laboratory, and Vitamin D is all the rage right now, so of course, I jumped right in with that. Now I am going to jump right out of that, and see if my rosacea comes under better control. Thanks so much to all of you for this info.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Welcome!

                      Originally posted by trudyl View Post
                      Just joined this forum, and was so happy to see this discussion of Vitamin D and rosacea. I've had rosacea for many years, and really felt it was under pretty good control. Then in the last year or so, I've had many flare-ups, been on antibiotics, thought the metrogel no longer worked etc etc.Then doing some research today, found something about Vitamin D being a problem for rosacea sufferers. I work in a medical laboratory, and Vitamin D is all the rage right now, so of course, I jumped right in with that. Now I am going to jump right out of that, and see if my rosacea comes under better control. Thanks so much to all of you for this info.

                      Welcome, friend! Please remember, though, that this information is quite theoretical and that your personal experience should be taken into account. If you want some supplement ideas, then I suggest: White Willow Bark, Boswellia Serrata, Omega (EPA, DHA, ALA at 18:12:8) Quercerin/bromelain/vitamin-c, quercetone (water soluble quercetin). Those are good for leukotreines, prostaglandins, fatty acid balance, and mast-cell walls. If you're interested, I can also post how to make topical serums of those that are useful.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        This might interest you. When it comes to vitamin d.... I don't feel like I get flare ups from drinking milk. But if I drink too much milk I might, I have never tried it. But when I take vitamin d3 supplements i really react to it by flaring up. Another thing. I use to work outside in the sun. When I did my rosacea was 100 times better. What does all this mean??

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by V70r View Post
                          This might interest you. When it comes to vitamin d.... I don't feel like I get flare ups from drinking milk. But if I drink too much milk I might, I have never tried it. But when I take vitamin d3 supplements i really react to it by flaring up. Another thing. I use to work outside in the sun. When I did my rosacea was 100 times better. What does all this mean??
                          Vitamin D added to milk is not even close of the one sold as supplement, so it is very difficult to compare.
                          And milk is full of things that could provoque reactions; proteins, allergens, ...
                          Cow milk is a very poor nutrient, imo.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            This statements might be of interest for this thread:

                            "The cause of rosacea has been proposed as over-production of the cationic cathelicidin peptide LL-37."

                            "Topical application of a 1% (w/w) SAGE emollient to overlying injected skin also reduced erythema and PMN infiltration from intradermal LL-37."

                            For more info on SAGE emollient.

                            More info on Cathlecidin.
                            Brady Barrows
                            Blog - Join the RRDi


                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Brady Barrows View Post
                              "Topical application of a 1% (w/w) SAGE emollient to overlying injected skin also reduced erythema and PMN infiltration from intradermal LL-37."
                              So how do we make this SAGE emollient? Any thoughts?

                              Also, does all UVB exposure (regardless of location) invoke global cathelicidin production? For example, if my feet are exposed to the sun then Vitamin D is activated cathelicidin production is invoked. Will the cathelicidin's produce evenly throughout my body or mainly my feet?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by V70r View Post
                                This might interest you. When it comes to vitamin d.... I don't feel like I get flare ups from drinking milk. But if I drink too much milk I might, I have never tried it. But when I take vitamin d3 supplements i really react to it by flaring up. Another thing. I use to work outside in the sun. When I did my rosacea was 100 times better. What does all this mean??
                                I know my rosacea is much better when i am in the sun as well.
                                Doug

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X