How much Niacin is too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much Niacin is too much?

I am looking into taking at multi-vitamin or a b-complex vitamin but they all contain vitamin b3 (niacin). The lowest amount I can find in both is 50mg per serving (taking 1 serving daily).

Is 50mg enough to cause the flushing that is associated with Niacin? Or is that just in larger doses?

Anyone know of any b-complex vitamins (Brands) that do not contain Niacin?

Thanks for any input.

Niacinamide does not cause flushing whereas niacin does so find a multi with that formulation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niacinamide

Comment

Yesterday i noticed niacin was listed under the ingredients in my whole wheat pasta! Anyone know if this would really cause any problems?

Comment

Originally posted by EK1 View Post
        Yesterday i noticed niacin was listed under the ingredients in my whole wheat pasta! Anyone know if this would really cause any problems?
        I honestly wouldn't worry about it. I don't think you'd flush from it unless you consume or take a high amount, and it's essential for good health so I wouldn't avoid it altogether either.

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I also wouldn't worry about it being in foods, I eat chicken or fish pretty much everyday and it is one of the highest sources of Niacin in terms of raw foods, but we are talking maybe 2-3mg per serving.

As long as you stay around the RDA which is 14-16mg per day you will be just fine. MissD is right, you need Vitamin B3 (Niacin) in your diet as it plays a critcal role by helping the body to convert food (carbohydrates) into fuel (glucose), Niacin also helps the body make various sex and stress-related hormones in the adrenal glands and other parts of the body as well as improving circulation and reducing cholesterol levels in the blood.

The only time people run into problems is when they start taking a synthetic vitamin complex and exceed the RDA, hence if you are sensitive to Niacin (as most Rosaceans are) and you take a vitamin with 25mg Niacin you are actually taking around 40mg because 14-16mg will already be in the raw foods you eat. This is why I am interested in finding a B-complex or Multi without Niacin or as Melissa pointed out, one that has Niacin in a form that does not cause flushing (Niacinamide).
          Last edited by RedFaced; 16 July 2009, 08:55 PM.

Comment

I believe Niacin in its true form is very beneficial for the skin. Please check this post:

http://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_...5&postcount=57

Comment

Working...
            X