X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sally
    replied
    Originally posted by MarshallB3 View Post
    Hi there, could you link me to a thread or a web page that has some basic info on the causes and treatment methods? Cause I've been doing some searching and I honestly haven't been able to understand a word I'm reading lol

Like, is this an internal issue, or external, or both?
    Hi Marshall

We have been discussing treatments for the removal of external biofilms on this forum since about June this year. If you put 'biofilm' in the above advanced search box you will find these.

It's quite a simple premise. Biofilms impair healing. They make it difficult for the lotions we are prescribed to work because they form a stubborn layer over the yeast.

This is with regard to Malessezia (seb derm) but I understand that biofilms are a fiendish way by which all sorts of diseases maintain their survival. And they have probably been doing this since the dawn of man.

I'm no expert and it's all too easy to misinform people on the internet, so I'll leave it up to you to do some digging. I personally find that raw honey and Xylitol are the two best products to remove biofilm. But hopefully the medical world will eventually come up with some amazing 'biofilm-buster' that will work in a matter of minutes and be a lot less sticky!!

Leave a comment:

• MarshallB3
    replied
    Originally posted by Sally View Post
    I'm still on level one, Solutionquest. It was thanks to Tom Busby that I became alerted to biofilms and the part they play in seb derm. I have read through this thread and it's heart-breaking. Everyone asking endless questions as to what the 'build-up' or 'layer of flakes' might be made from.

Well, it's probably biofilm where cells stick together in order to protect the yeast. If you Google 'Xylitol biofilms you tube', you'll find some amazing videos (if you haven't already).

It's nearly midnight and I must get some sleep now. Level two tomorrow, I hope!
    Hi there, could you link me to a thread or a web page that has some basic info on the causes and treatment methods? Cause I've been doing some searching and I honestly haven't been able to understand a word I'm reading lol

Like, is this an internal issue, or external, or both?

Leave a comment:

• solutionquest
    replied
    Ok-level two and beyond!

Hey-great to know someone else out there will be researching with me! Fixing to watch the youtube videos.

I'll keep searching and report back.

I started using the lemon water face wash routine and found that it was to some degree breaking through the barrier-I had no scientific name for the barrier then but was thinking while reading about the lemon wash how I needed something to break through the wax (biofilm). I have been treating my face very gently for years-and with no regrets-aside from the fact that the wax will sometimes build up...

It got cold where I am living now-and this has got my face a little confused. Not ANYTHING bad like it has done before yet-but-it's got me thinking about my face and how to prepare.

With the lemon wash I had got to the point where I was cocky with my diet-coffee, apple pie, bread, etc etc----- now with it cold I have gone back to a strict diet- doing everything I can to tip my face back in the direction where it has a stronger barrier.

Anyway, I am going back to that forum and youtube now as well- up at work and have a little time to research. What was interesting about the other forum was that nobody was even talking about SD or rosacea... and there was quite a bit of talk about mental stuff and really just stuff that like I said I have never heard of....

Anyway-to level two and beyond!!!

Leave a comment:

• Sally
    replied
    Originally posted by solutionquest View Post
    Hey Sally! I am reading stuff on silver nanoparticles right now. When I was on that other website reading about biofilm I was thinking "My God, now these people are SERIOUS about getting rid of biofilm!" Which I understand! But it's like they had taken it to the next level!

What can you tell me about biofilm and your predicament? I am interested to know... very much so.
    I'm still on level one, Solutionquest. It was thanks to Tom Busby that I became alerted to biofilms and the part they play in seb derm. I have read through this thread and it's heart-breaking. Everyone asking endless questions as to what the 'build-up' or 'layer of flakes' might be made from.

Well, it's probably biofilm where cells stick together in order to protect the yeast. If you Google 'Xylitol biofilms you tube', you'll find some amazing videos (if you haven't already).

It's nearly midnight and I must get some sleep now. Level two tomorrow, I hope!

Leave a comment:

• solutionquest
    replied
    Sally hey

Hey Sally! I am reading stuff on silver nanoparticles right now. When I was on that other website reading about biofilm I was thinking "My God, now these people are SERIOUS about getting rid of biofilm!" Which I understand! But it's like they had taken it to the next level!

What can you tell me about biofilm and your predicament? I am interested to know... very much so.

Leave a comment:

• Sally
    replied
    I went to some forum and am reading up. These people seem like their speaking another language-I love it! Reminds me of this board! Going through their posts I am noticing they are talking about so many things I have never heard of....

All interesting.....!
    Yes, it's fascinating stuff. Only now, after so many years, am I managing to kill off the yeast that has been hiding under these tough biofilms.

Please let us know if you come across anything that would help in this war!

Leave a comment:

• solutionquest
    replied
    I am looking at a biofilm site

I went to some forum and am reading up. These people seem like their speaking another language-I love it! Reminds me of this board! Going through their posts I am noticing they are talking about so many things I have never heard of....

All interesting.....!

Leave a comment:

• MarshallB3
    replied
    Originally posted by Sally View Post
    This sounds like 'biofilm'. If you search on the forum you can see the various ways of getting rid of it.
    Thank you that helped, so it sounds like I was right to assume that it's a yeast/candida issue and that it's roots are internal

Leave a comment:

• solutionquest
    replied
    I think this...

I think this is the original thread I read so many years ago now... where I thought.... ok, yes, this is what I am talking about.... here are the people talking about the problem I have....

I didn't go back and read the thread just the new entries.

I'll say this... the more I look around these days the more I see people with my problem...

Anyway, just scanning over the site now and saw this....

SQ

p.s. And to anyone out there with this problem let me say good luck and treat your face gently.

Leave a comment:

• Sally
    replied
    Originally posted by MarshallB3 View Post
    Since then, my skin has healed a ton, but the build-up hasn't changed, it keeps coming.
    This sounds like 'biofilm'. If you search on the forum you can see the various ways of getting rid of it.

Leave a comment:

• MarshallB3
    replied
    Originally posted by emanella View Post
    Wow. I thought I was the only one. I thought for a while I had seb derm with my rosacea, but from what you guys are saying I feel my symptoms are very similar to yours. I know this is somewhat of an old thread but I am curious for those of you that have not been active for the last couple of years have found a solution or a treatment for this condition. I have facial dandruff with underlying rosacea ONLY on my nose, and the scaling, skin barrier dysfunction discussion you guys have discussed here is precisely whats happening to me. I am currently taking 20 mg/day oral isotretinoin because my nose is very oily and I feel that has a lot to do with it. Also an anti-inflammatory. I am 21 years old and I really hope someone responds to my post. Thank you
    Hi there. Not sure if you'll see this but I too have been reading through this thread and I'm happy to actually find people who have or had the same skin problems I have.

I'm not sure if this is actually seb derm. I'm feeling like it isn't because the symptoms don't quite match up. Have you ever taken antibiotics in your life? That seems to be a link. For me, I developed bad acne a couple of years ago, so then I went on a 6 month course of topical creams (Retin-A) and antibiotics. After the 6 month course my skin was horribly red and dried out, and I immediately developed the yellow build-up problem. I have it on my scalp as well, which means it has to be some sort of internal issue, as I've never used any medicated products or anything on my scalp.

Since then, my skin has healed a ton, but the build-up hasn't changed, it keeps coming. I've spent the last 9 months not washing my face at all, and the redness on my face is almost completely gone, my complexion is nice, and my acne is more mild than ever, but I keep getting the build-up and I have to scrub it off with my fingers every week or two, which is really irritating to my face. Also, my pores are very clogged and visible looking. I have rosacea-like symptoms on my cheeks and nose, those areas can get red from the sun, cold weather, and stress. But I have no rosacea symptoms on my jawline or forehead, but I still get build-up in those areas.

The reason I asked about antibiotics is cause I've looked into this and found heaps of evidence that antibiotics destroying all the bacteria in your gut can leave you open to fungus infections that can cause rosacea, seb derm, and all sorts of skin problems. Stress can amplify this a lot as well, so if you go on antibiotics and you're stressed out about your skin at the same time, it can leave you totally compromised. I've determined that I most likely have had candida overgrowth ever since my antibiotics course, which could be responsible for these skin problems, but I don't know. I've only just started to treat the candida a couple of days ago.
    Last edited by MarshallB3; 4 October 2013, 04:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• emanella
    replied
    Help me

Snuff- So you really think this makes a difference? I'll look into it sometime soon....

Let's make 2010 flake free!
    Wow. I thought I was the only one. I thought for a while I had seb derm with my rosacea, but from what you guys are saying I feel my symptoms are very similar to yours. I know this is somewhat of an old thread but I am curious for those of you that have not been active for the last couple of years have found a solution or a treatment for this condition. I have facial dandruff with underlying rosacea ONLY on my nose, and the scaling, skin barrier dysfunction discussion you guys have discussed here is precisely whats happening to me. I am currently taking 20 mg/day oral isotretinoin because my nose is very oily and I feel that has a lot to do with it. Also an anti-inflammatory. I am 21 years old and I really hope someone responds to my post. Thank you

Leave a comment:

• solutionquest
    replied
    Flake Free 2010... are you with me!

Snuff- So you really think this makes a difference? I'll look into it sometime soon....

Let's make 2010 flake free!

Leave a comment:

• solutionquest
    replied
    Dear Hopeless and Others

Dear Hopeless,

I will start with you since your the last post on this extremely informative thread. Hang in there friend. Your the same guy through the ups and downs of your skin. Find some people that know this.

As for the flakes, the skin barrier, the oil... man, reading this has been crazy for me. I have found my people! Where have you guys been...!!! I just started a new thread about the flakes but I guess that was not necessary as this is exactly what I was looking for. Some of your thoughts on this process I have shared. Like the flakes acting as a "protective layer" or the thought of letting them build up to let them do there thing. I noticed nobody commented on the persons post who said they double washed there face at night. They said that was really helping and I thought this was indicative of what is going on... it seems that we produce so much oil that what we are doing when we wash our face is just removing the dead skin/oil and then not getting to where "normal" people wash to maintain there normality. Some thoughts:

1.) The mysterious Dr. S treatment in Ukraine (maybe some heard of this) involves intense scrubbing of the face...I took note of this.... Say what you want about this but the pictures he has posted say a lot. I know, I know... this is not people with the flake but... I feel that our pores are clogged... and that deep down there is something that needs to be reset. I have always been so damn sensitive with my skin, for years, and I mean sensitive like when rubbing or washing... maybe I should be a bit firmer while washing, or try the double wash. Something to think about. You all know that what our gut is telling us is to scrub!!! IF only we could!!!

2.) Raw honey is doing well for me... it has an extremely great exfoliating factor to it that is removing so much flake without being too harsh. Instead of just putting it on for a few hours I sleep in it. If you guys on here are like me the idea of putting something on for just a few hours does not sit well with the flakes. Raw honey mixed with a very small amount of water in a bowl, then rubbed on.... does great so far... the results are still coming for me and I am about a month in... every other night.

3.) Cutting out all other products. Less is more... not doing creams, lotions, or sunscreen at the moment, it is winter here for me though... when summer comes I will have to see about the no sunscreen. Doing no creams or lotions or sunscreen would be impossible without the raw honey.... my skin freaks out when nothing is done to it... it starts to feel like the skin is absolutely at war with moisture/dryness... if this makes any sense, which it doesn't, because our goddamn skin doesn't make any sense.

Anyway, WOW! Here it is... the thread I was always looking for!

The next thing I am interested in is adding the right vitamin/supplement into my routine... vitamin D possibly, or Zinc.... sleeping and feeling much more balanced with melatonin at night by the way... always skeptical of "healing properties" of this type of thing but make no mistake, my dreams are intense, my sleep is solid... and I get tired at night.... it's been great.... Also, last thing, Accutane seems like it might would do some good for us flakers.... want to hear about that from you guys!

Leave a comment:

• snuffleupagus
    replied
    Sorry to bring back an old thread but I thought I'd update. I have been having less flakey - don't get me wrong STILL flakey bur much less and softer - skin as a result of washing my face with distilled water. They come in these big jugs real cheap too like $1.40 a bottle which lasts a week usually. I think you guys should give it a try. Downside your skin will feel not clean, kinda slippery but in actuality it is CLEANER! All that we feel with regular water is the calcium build up. Anyways it has made a positive difference and I first thought of it as a result of my London trip - the water was much softer and I noticed less flaking. The distilled water is soft as well, hence not drying the skin out or leaving a residue.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X