Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snuffleupagus
    replied
    Spiro does absolutely 0% for the rosacea.
    I got spiro from my derm after a blood test with my family doctor checking my hormone levels. It's only prescribed for too much DHEAS/Testosterone in you as it blocks the androgens. This is why males can't take it.

Leave a comment:

• sarahjonjon
    replied
    i also have this exact same problem that you describe and it is also driving me mad!

MediumDog - I don't quite buy your GP's explanation either and others have offered the same one to me. The flakes on my face carry on regardless of how red/inflamed my face is and like you, I had Rosacea without the flakes previously.

EK1 - I don't think it is as simple as just dry skin either. Seb Derm is the more plausible explanation as moisturiser doesn't do much to get rid of the flakes - def not in my case anyway. I'm pretty sure it's possible for Seb Derm flakes to appear all over the face.

Interesting that you had a hormone imbalance. This is something I'm trying to look in to at the moment. Can I just ask how you found the Spiro? Did it help with the Rosacea symptoms (other than this flakiness)?

Leave a comment:

• siliconmessiah
    replied
    Exactly the same here it seems.
    My theory is that it is co-related with the inflammation of rosacea. It is not Seb. Derm.
    As I said, right now I am not having a flare, it´s pretty calm. But the flakes are still there.

Anyway:
    I am currently taking oral metronidazole.
    I have started to excercise almost everyday.
    No alcohol (at least as long I am on oral metro)
    Stopped using tobacco.
    Eating healthier.

So this summer I´ll win over my rosacea.
    Keep it up!

Leave a comment:

• snuffleupagus
    replied
    I dont think its dry skin because i can never get rid of all of the flakes.

Do you guys also have it that if you put your nail against your skin and lightly move it up, a ton of flakes will come up? Does that make any sense? Cause going down is in the direction of the skin but going up goes against it.

Leave a comment:

• siliconmessiah
    replied
    I have the same as you have. I am a male, 25 years old. Rosacea has been slowly building up on me during the last 2 years. For two months it´s been unbearable, so I visited a doctor.
    I am currently taking oral metronidazole for a month... 500 mg x 3 times a day.

It´s absolutely no seb. derm.
    But rosacea combined with flaky skin.

Right now as we speak, my rosacea is not in a flare, wich means the flaking is pretty easy to cope with. But as soon as the rosacea flares up, the flaking comes along with it.

TheMediumDog I might actually support your derm´s theory about rosacea stopping the skin from healing and therefore the flaking. A lot of things point in that direction - at least for me.
    But you might have it different of course.

EK1: I have the same. It often happens that i rub some water gently on the face, and voila, the flakes are gone! I wonder if it might be as simple as dry skin? But regular moisturizers makes my skin go haywire. I will ask my doctor for something good later this week, and will keep you updated.

Have a nice day!
    Last edited by siliconmessiah; 10 June 2009, 07:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TheMediumDog
    replied
    I mean, you describe my EXACT situation. I have been searching for a solution for ages.

In my case I'm pretty certain it is not seb derm.

With me, it began after I had had rosacea for a fair while, and slowly set in over about a six month period. I've tried to connect it with the two significant things that occurred during that period - giving up smoking (some kind of stress hormone imbalance?) and staying indoors (lack of vitamin D?).

Other than that, I'm still fairly in the dark. I've quizzed my derm about it loads and his perspective is that the inflammation from the rosacea disrupts the normal process of skin barrier formation. Hence the flakes, as the skin tries to form properly, but fails. The oil would be some kind of compensation-reaction.

I'm not totally convinced by this explanation, since as I say, I had rosacea without these flakes. And there doesn't seem any variation in them, no matter how inflamed my skin might be.

Leave a comment:

• snuffleupagus
    started a topic Flakey Face

Flakey Face

So this has been driving me nuts pretty much my whole life (im 24). Before i had super oily skin with flakes, sounds like seb derm right? However 2 years ago they found a hormone imbalance in my blood test, put me on spiro, and now no more crazy oily skin. You would think that would solve the problem if it was seb derm, no more oil, no more flakes. Well, i'm just as flakey as always. What has me puzzled is that it's not in the typical seb derm areas, but rather my ENTIRE face. Cheeks, nose, chin, forehead... everything! It seems to be more flakey around my nose/cheek folds and my eyebrows. What is the cause of this, is it seb derm? And what can i do for it? Exfoliating is sadly out of the question because of the sensitive rosacea skin. I do my best by just using my fingers and water to rub out some of the flakes. Please help Being able to wear makeup would help but because of this, i can't it just flakes up!
Working...
X