Flakey Face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found this article here - http://talentscotland.com/jobs.aspx?item_id=45976

Perhaps that is an indication of what's wrong?

Comment

Quite interesting. Fillagrin is part of the structural scaffolding of the outer skin layers. I think that, while it is possible that we, too, have some kind of genetic defect (like these guys who miss the gene for fillagrin) what rather happens in us is that the fillagrin (and other structural elements of the outer layers) gets broken down too much/too quickly, as a result of the inflammatory processes that make up our rosacea.

Comment

I will be starting my mepacrine trial tomorrow. Hopefully this will have some impact on the flaking if it also helps the inflammation and if that indeed, is the cause of our flaking.

Comment

Cool. Let us know.

Comment

I used to have a flaky face, especially in dry climates. After eating lots of healthy fats and avoiding sugars and bad fats did my face become super smooth. Also coffee enemas helped this same symptom.

I now also rub in coconut oil on my skin after a shower as a moisturizer and it works like a charm!

Comment

Originally posted by TheMediumDog View Post
              Do you think it could be through the anti-inflammatory effect of 'tane?

The lack of redness might just be due to the thickness of the skin...so, you know, the inflamed vessels don't 'show' at that point.

Is it just this one area? Is it possible that this is the only area where it is sufficiently noticeable?
              I am not sure MD. The redness and burning seemed to get worse since tapering my accutane dose so I took 10mg a few days ago and it seemed to back down a bit. Oddly I also get bad peeling skin on my lips which tane reduces!! I would have thought the opposite, maybe it is just the powerful anti-inflammatory effect or some prob with my sebaceous glands??

Comment

I've had flakey skin, too....for many years. Sounds like the same thing. My derm says it is because the skin isn't working properly at shedding the dead cells, instead they clump on the skin (looking like flakes). What finally stopped it for me was a two prong approach and one that I was sure would irritate my skin but for some reason didn't. First I washed my skin with tepid water and Olay Total Effects Anti-Aging Anti-Blemish Daily Cleanser. It has salicylic acid in it to help exfoliate the skin and it has moisturizers. I used that for two years. On it I noticed an immediate improvement. I think it is different than other salicylic products because it is formulated for adult skin versus teenage skin (too harsh).

Three months ago my derm put me on (gulp) retin-a cream (not gel - too drying). Yes, I know that rosaceans should never use this product but my derm convinced me that it was a new formulation and would not irritate my sensitive skin. She said it would normalize my skin's function, stop the flaking, shrink the pores, and with the build up of collegen underneath would hide the blood vessels. After using it for 3 months, Voila - success!!!!!!! It is amazing. But it takes a long time to kick in.

The key to having a successful retin-a cream experience is:

1.) Be religious about not applying retin-a until the skin is dry. Wait for 20-30 min after washing with a mild cleanser. This is the biggest mistake people make. Using it sooner causes irritation.

2.) Use a pea size amount and no more than that. It is very concentrated.

3.) Don't use other "active" products while using retin-a (i.e. I had to stop using the cleanser I was using before because it has salicylic acid in it). Retin-a goes deep in the skin and is totally effective on its own at normalizing skin function.
                Bactrim (phasing out), Spironolactone 1x/day, Retin-a cream .05% in the p.m., Neutrogena Cleanser for Sensitive Skin, avoid dairy and usual Rosacea triggers.

Comment

Thanks for that post.

Good info there.

I have been searching for that type of treatment that doesn't irritate the rosacea but gets rid of the scale. And in SD seems like you have to be very careful not to over moisturize and then of course over-dry as well.

I have some tazorac but it irritated my skin way worse than steroids. That dermadoctor irritates too.. But I am not too convinced on otc products.

I will heed your suggestion on how to use it though. Great tip.

Did you and your derm discuss this specifically- getting rid of the scale/flake without flaring the rosacea?

Comment

Originally posted by claudia View Post
                    I've had flakey skin, too....for many years. Sounds like the same thing. My derm says it is because the skin isn't working properly at shedding the dead cells, instead they clump on the skin (looking like flakes). What finally stopped it for me was a two prong approach and one that I was sure would irritate my skin but for some reason didn't. First I washed my skin with tepid water and Olay Total Effects Anti-Aging Anti-Blemish Daily Cleanser. It has salicylic acid in it to help exfoliate the skin and it has moisturizers. I used that for two years. On it I noticed an immediate improvement. I think it is different than other salicylic products because it is formulated for adult skin versus teenage skin (too harsh).

Three months ago my derm put me on (gulp) retin-a cream (not gel - too drying). Yes, I know that rosaceans should never use this product but my derm convinced me that it was a new formulation and would not irritate my sensitive skin. She said it would normalize my skin's function, stop the flaking, shrink the pores, and with the build up of collegen underneath would hide the blood vessels. After using it for 3 months, Voila - success!!!!!!! It is amazing. But it takes a long time to kick in.

The key to having a successful retin-a cream experience is:

1.) Be religious about not applying retin-a until the skin is dry. Wait for 20-30 min after washing with a mild cleanser. This is the biggest mistake people make. Using it sooner causes irritation.

2.) Use a pea size amount and no more than that. It is very concentrated.

3.) Don't use other "active" products while using retin-a (i.e. I had to stop using the cleanser I was using before because it has salicylic acid in it). Retin-a goes deep in the skin and is totally effective on its own at normalizing skin function.
                    Not sure about this.

My problem, at least, is not to do with skin 'building up' because it isn't exfoliating off quickly enough. Rather, I think that it is being broken down too quickly; in other words it isn't building up enough.

Exfoliation seems to have gripped dermatology and the beauty industry like some kind of madness. Stripping off skin is just, like, not the be-all and end-all of skin-care, it doesn't make you look younger, etc etc (sorry, private rant).

The salicylic acid/retin-a could be helping via their anti-inflammatory effects I suppose. I would be scared to try, though.

Comment

I hesitate to say anything, but I think I've now got my flaky skin problem under control for the first time in years.

My regime is simple, because any type of rubbing, almost every product, ANYTHING makes me flake more, flush more and/or break out more. I react to almost everything. Even pressure from my fingers on my face when washing causes flakiness and burning redness, not washing only makes things worse, even every moisturizer I've tried makes the flakiness worse. I was ready to give up.

The only thing I'm now doing differently from my regular routine - which has almost eliminated the flakiness and also lessened flushes - is to DOUBLE WASH MY FACE DURING THE EVENING WASH. I know it sounds illogical, which is why I hesitate to say anything, but I can't believe how much it's helped. The first time I tried it my face burned like it usually does after a wash, so I was afraid to do the second wash right afterward, but surprisingly that second wash (actually sudsing) stopped the burning!

I have a crazy, though practically product free regime:
                      I use distilled water, at a temperature of about 86 degrees. Tap water irritates my skin.
                      1. Morning: I splash water on my face, suds up Johnson's liquid Purpose in my hands and "wash" my face. I do it so gently, that I can't really feel my skin when I'm applying the suds...it's more like suds on suds instead of suds on skin. I splash water to rinse, many times. I let my skin air dry. If I'm not going to put on makeup that day, a few hours after cleansing I'll rub a little Metrolotion on my hands and gentlly pat it on my face, being careful not to apply too much or too hard.
                      2. Evening: I do the same face cleansing regime, except that I do a SECOND sudsing immediately after the first has been rinsed off.

I had thought my face didn't have the "barrier" it needed because it looked like it was more breaking down than building up, but apparently I was cleansing too gently to remove whatever needed to be removed.

I've done this for a few weeks now, and I don't need to tweeze flakes off anymore, I don't flush like I did before and my face doesn't burn. My skin for the first time in years actually looks "normal".

Anyway, I just wanted to share. I feel that most of the products they try to sell us just make things worse in the long run.
                      Last edited by Denisefh; 23 July 2009, 04:29 AM.

Comment

It's unreal, now well over a month after I started the evening double sudsing, I still don't have flaky skin! It's not broken out either, and I have less flushing.

I double suds in the evening whether or not I've put on makeup, metrolotion (never use both together) or nothing.

It's such a relief for the first time in over 10 years to be able to have near "normal" looking skin. On days I apply makeup, it takes hardly any time because I don't need to sit and tweeze flakes off for 45 minutes.

Just sharing, though even to me this sounds crazy!

Comment

Alright so any updates from people, mediumdog?

My face just flaked ridiculously today. I had no choice but to rub gently to at least get some of the build up off. It's so ridiculous.... my eyebrows flake constantly, my cheeks, my nose, my forehead, my chin!!! I don't think there is one spot on my face that doesnt flake! Argh.

Mepacrine is doing nothing to help. I'm not sure what else i can do. It makes it impossible to wear makeup. Because it looks worse with all the makeup sticking to the flakes then not wearing any at all! But i would love to look even and non-blotchy with the help of makeup. If only i could use it

I'm at a loss here

Comment

EK1

Are you still using the S&S?
                            Previous Numerous IPL.
                            Supplements: High dose Niacinamide, Vit K2, low dose Vit A. Moderate Dose Vit C, Iodine, Taurine, Magnesium. Mod- dose B's. Low dose zinc. Testing Quercetin.

Skin Care: No Cleanser, ZZ cream mixed with Niacinamide gel 4% and LMW HA 2%, ethyl ascorbate 2%.

Treating for gut dysbiosis.(This is helping).
                            Previous GAPS diet. Have now introduced lots of fibre.
                            Fermented Foods. Intermittent fasting -16-18 hours.
                            Oral Colostrum. Helps reduce food reactions.

Comment

Yep. Every 2nd or 3rd night, leave on for 15 mins, wash off.

Comment

Has anyone tried using a humidifier?

It has been really hot and humid for the past two weeks where I am- so much that there was an advisory for people to stay out of the heat. Right now I have virtually zero flaking - unfortuanately I am breaking out a bit more though.

Comment

Working...
                                X