Flakey Face

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True.
    Google told me that A double blind study showed that oral Metronidazole and Oxytetracycline were equally effective treatment of rosacea....
    Or something to that effect...

Comment

What are people trying just now?

Personally I am giving Clindamycin gel a try (not looking too hopeful) and, as said before, vitamin D (been on it a month, with no unambiguous change being detectable).

Comment

I'm trying clarifoam right now. It's been about 3 weeks (im only using it every other night though). Old bumps getting smaller and smaller. Still getting p&ps. My skin is very slow to get better. Perhaps less flaking, it's really hard to say.

I'm wondering if inflammation is the problem, would going on low dose accutane or that antimalarial help?? I'm praying it would eradicate the problem since it would get rid of inflammation. Everyone says accutane dries the skin though...

Comment

Originally posted by TheMediumDog View Post
          What are people trying just now?
          I'm washing with Kiehl's every night and a few splashes of water in the morning. After I cleanse I've been applying Coconut Oil. Has anyone else tried it? I've been using on my face for about a week now. I put a small amount on a cotton bud and apply to each area of my face. It softens the flakes and actually picks up quite a lot of dirt as well which makes sense I guess as my cleanser is so gentle.

At first my face felt really hot and irritated but I decided to persevere. It still turns pink when I apply but overall my skin is def softer. I'm giving it another week before I conclude anything. It certainly has lifted the flaky build-up quite a bit but my flakes still return each day and after each wash my face really dries (cleanser or no cleanser).

The texture of my skin does not look good at all the moment. It looks bumpy with lots of enlarged pores and is pretty red and very blotchy. This is far more noticeable since I began with the Coconut. I'm not sure if this is the skin that was lurking underneath the yellowy flakes (i had been testing out 'Not Washing' quite a bit) or if it's aggravated by the Coconut Oil. In essence I'm exfoliating and isn't that what we should be resisting?

It's so tricky to work out this skin barrier thing; On the one hand, I want to leave my face alone in the hope that nature will get to work (i can live in hope ) and attempt to rebuild the barrier. On the other, my instinct or at least my vanity prompts me to remove what appears as dead skin / something problematic.

WHERE IS MY CRYSTAL BALL???

Comment

I have one suggestion, but it´s just a suggestion of course. Take it easy with your skin. Chemicals and even "natural" things like can be irritants for the sensitive facial skin.

Comment

Originally posted by siliconmessiah View Post
              I have one suggestion, but it´s just a suggestion of course. Take it easy with your skin. Chemicals and even "natural" things like can be irritants for the sensitive facial skin.
              yeah, it's good advice. i think i may go a couple of days product free now to see if the redness settles. also, i can see if this treatment has impacted the flakes at all.

Comment

Originally posted by EK1 View Post
                I'm wondering if inflammation is the problem, would going on low dose accutane or that antimalarial help?? I'm praying it would eradicate the problem since it would get rid of inflammation. Everyone says accutane dries the skin though...
                Yes it really could help this. As well as being anti-inflammatory I believe there are some studies around showing it lowers facial blood flow, and I think this might make quite a difference all round.

However, when I tried it, it simply seemed to make everything redder, p&p's to become more expressed, etc. It seems to be a very individual thing. Plus there are the other side effects, although at the very low doses I think they are not so much of a worry.

By the way, EK1, did clonidine make any impact on the flakes at all?

Comment

Reading the post on the National Rosacea Society grants to new research, the following caught my eye:

Dr. Joseph Rothnagel, associate professor, and Dr. Manuela Trabi, adjunct lecturer, Department of Molecular and Microbial Sciences, The University of Queensland, Australia, were awarded $18,000 for their study, "The role of tissue kallikreins in rosacea." This study will also build from the work of Dr. Gallo and colleagues. They noted that these previous studies reported involvement of the enzyme hK5 and protein CAP18, and hypothesize that at least one other enzyme is also elevated in rosacea. They will study whether proteins known to be crucial for skin integrity are also digested at a higher than normal rate by these enzymes, allowing easier access for pathogens.

(Forget the "...allowing easier access for pathogens" bit).

I thought I had come across something along these lines before, and indeed a quick scan through PubMed revealed the following:

Degradation of corneodesmosome proteins by two serine proteases of the kallikrein family, SCTE/KLK5/hK5 and SCCE/KLK7/hK7

To translate (as far as I am able):

At the outer layer, your skin barrier looks like a bricks-and-mortar structure. The bricks are called "corneocytes". The mortar is made out of a whole bunch of different cells, doing different jobs - some coat the outside of the corneocytes, some act like little velcro hooks, some do a bit of this and that; in total, they stick the corneocytes together into the strong elastic sheet which is the outer layer of your skin.

In order for your skin to slough off and be renewed, what happens is that the cells that make up the 'sticky' mortar are degraded. Once degraded, they no longer hold together the corneocytes, and so the whole thing no longer has any cohesion or strength. Like an old wall where the mortar is crumbly.

Now this degradation doesn't just happen. The body actively 'does' it. And it does so by producing a couple of other cells (or enzymes) which break down the various cells making up the mortar, until they can't do that job any more.

Point is: these 'breaking down' cells are exactly the ones that have been postulated to be a crucial component of rosacea, because they're found in high levels in rosacea patients (the work of Dr Gallo).

If this were true (and its a big if, because Dr Gallo's work on how these cells are responsible for rosacea is, like, 1 piece of a 1000-piece jigsaw) it would really help explain our symptoms, i.e. it would connect them up with the rosacea.

Doesn't really help much in terms of treatment. (At least not immedietly). The thing to do would still be to reduce inflammation. But still...

Comment

THeMediumDog - were you talking about trying accutane or the antimalarial? Also, what dose accutane (if it was that)

Clonidine helped me go less red, but didn't seem to stop the flushes. However when i was not flushing i was constantly blotchy looking. I never really went back to a baseline pale, which i can without the clonidine.

Comment

Originally posted by EK1 View Post
                      THeMediumDog - were you talking about trying accutane or the antimalarial? Also, what dose accutane (if it was that).
                      Accutane. 5mg 2 times per week, then 10mg 2 times per week, then 20mg 2 times per week. I started noticing the symptoms at 10mg, but they were present (in retrospect) at 5mg. My derm wants me to try again, keeping the dose very low. I may.

Comment

Yeah i wanna try it, but at the same time, im worried about side effects. Flushing is a big concern for me. But at the same time, maybe it would help all the flaking. I think if i do go down that route i will work on some lasers or something first for the flushing because you cant do lasers while on accutane.

Comment

Also, perhaps the antimalarial would be effective for us? It could also potentially help flaking, as well as pustules if it also has anti-inflammatory properties. Still don't get how it helps flushing but if it does, i'll take it!

Comment

Like genericposter, I've just singed up after reading this thread.

A lot of this all sounds very familiar to me:

- General redness around chin, cheeks, forehead (less so), nose. Generally more severe around the sides of the nose
                            - Initial flaky (dry) white skin around above areas when flare-ups occur.
                            - As another poster mentioned the flakes aren't largely noticeable until I rub a finger over my face (or push with the tip of a fingernail), which makes large flakes or skin appear, and fall off.
                            - After a few days into a flare-up the flakiness settles down, but there's is effectively another layer onto of my regular skin. More so around the sides of the nose, and it has a yellowy appearance.

I guess it's nice to see other with the same/similar issues, but after reading thru all of this thread, it's unfortunately that there aren't any solutions to any of this

Regarding the yellowing layer of skin, I've been led to believe that the yellowy appearance is actually due to pus in addition to the flaky white skin. In my case, they seem to mix together to create quite a hard crusty barrier (kind of like a light-duty scab).

With that, does anyone have a suggestion of what to do about it? On one hand I think that my skin is fairly smart, and there's a good reason for it to be there, so I should just let it be and have it go away when it naturally wants to. On the other hand I think that all these Rosacea symptoms are the skin's 'incorrect' reaction to the Rosacea, and I should remove the quite unsightly, almost scale-like yellow flakes myself.

Comment

I have the same problem as everyone else. My flakiness seems to get worse after any flushing, which unfortunately for me is often (even if I just bend over to pick something up it will cause me to flush). Not washing causes buildup and then the flakiness is worse. Surprisingly, moisturizers (the few I've found that don't break me out) will actually cause the flakiness to worsen! I've tried just about every one, including naturals such as Emu oil.

I take Clonidine twice a day, so that for sure doesn't help flakes. (I also use Metrolotion sparingly once a day). I wash with Purpose liquid twice a day. If I wash less often the flakes will build up. If I rub my face even with my fingers and water, or use a soft cloth to remove the flakes gently - then the flakiness seems to worsen.

I HAVE to wear makeup because I get so red so frequently, but the makeup only seems to make the flakes appear more prominent. It's very frustrating.

A friend of mine told me to try Dermalogica (sp?) Barrier Repair, has anyone tried this?

Comment

Originally posted by Denisefh View Post
                                A friend of mine told me to try Dermalogica (sp?) Barrier Repair, has anyone tried this?

I don't have flaky skin but I have tried this. Once applied it feels unlike any other moisturiser I have used - strangely velvety. (I will not raise hopes and say that it felt like it formed an artificial skin - perhaps allowing the natural structures beneath a chance to heal - because it didn't but a scintilla of something along those lines might have been going on.)

It didn't irritate. If you are running out of options its very differentness might make this a worthwhile gamble.

Comment

Working...
                                X