Anyone tried to just let it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried to just let it be?

I was just wondering if anyone here has tried to just let it be and not wash your face with any products at all? The reason I ask this is because there's this one low-carb forum I regulate where ppl who had problem skin have had success with the no-chemicals thing. I once tried it for a month and I think my skin improved a lot. I was eating loads of virgin coconut oil and olive oil during that period... I don't know why I stopped it then and started washing my face again, I really don't. I'm planning to try this again.

Yes, yes ,yes!

Ever since realizing and implementing a diet that fights my skin problems at the source, I haven't had to use any topicals whatsoever.

It's so nice to not have to do all this crap when I'm tired and want to sleep.

Comment

I just wash with warm water and then leave my face bare. I rarely use a moisturiser. Only when if it gets dry

Comment

Originally posted by fut View Post
        Yes, yes ,yes!

Ever since realizing and implementing a diet that fights my skin problems at the source, I haven't had to use any topicals whatsoever.

It's so nice to not have to do all this crap when I'm tired and want to sleep.
        What kind of diet is it? A candida diet? I've naturally been avoiding wheat and sugar 'cause I'm on a low-carb diet... do you also avoid all dairy? Do you eat salty nuts or anything of that sort at all? What about meat?

Comment

I tried not washing my face with any products for a while, and (I have seb derm or something related) it made my skin a lot worse. Seb derm (if this it is) needs to be kept in check with washing, in my opinion.

I don't think the restrictive diets do much. I followed a strict candida diet for a year with little change. Or, at least, I think you've got to do the 'active' parts (like taking strong anti-fungals, and copious probiotics) as well as the diet. Just cutting out refined sugar etc might make you feel your doing something, but is a little bit like believing you can scare away goblins with spells. Just my view.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMediumDog View Post
            I tried not washing my face with any products for a while, and (I have seb derm or something related) it made my skin a lot worse. Seb derm (if this it is) needs to be kept in check with washing, in my opinion.

I don't think the restrictive diets do much. I followed a strict candida diet for a year with little change. Or, at least, I think you've got to do the 'active' parts (like taking strong anti-fungals, and copious probiotics) as well as the diet. Just cutting out refined sugar etc might make you feel your doing something, but is a little bit like believing you can scare away goblins with spells. Just my view.
            Cutting out refined sugar and wheat made my acne go away so at least it did something. I used to have at least 3-5 inflamed zits in my face all the time and nowadays I have next to none. It's a rarity if I get one. I also had loads of zits on my shoulders and upper thighs that would cause a rash especially after a shower. Those are gone too. Seb. dermatitis seems to be a bit different thing, though...

And yeah, in my case the washing doesn't seem do any good either. I have yet to find a product that would clean my face properly without leaving traces of dead skin hanging everywhere and plugged pores. So not washing or washing is practically the same to me
            Last edited by isitrosacea; 13 December 2008, 10:08 AM.

Comment

I've noted several times in different posts here that I've dealt with rosacea for many, many years. Early on in my rosacea "career" I was truly motivated to find a way to stop it. In those days you were literally on your own, and it was very, very lonely (the internet access to support is such a monumental improvement over those "dark ages"). My first visit to a dermatologist was such a disaster I refused to go to another. So, I read every health food book that was ever published up through the 1980's. I tried every supplement regime for skin problems I could locate. I tried every over the counter cleanser, moisturizer, and sun block I found. I strictly adhered to certain diets. I found that eating any dairy product made my rosacea particularly worse; but abstaining from dairy products didn't make the rosacea go away, either. When Dick Gregory gave a speech at my junior college in 1981, I followed him afterward and waited about 3 hours to speak with him alone (because I was too embarrassed to have anyone else hear my questions). I had him look at my skin and asked if he had any advice. He told me to urinate into a wash cloth everyday and pat my face with it ( I still cringe when I think about it, and I still wonder what motivated him to tell me to do that). My first visit to a dermatologist was such a disaster I refused to go to another. During the first 15 years of fighting rosacea I would say that I tried just about everything available, including antibiotics. I finally just got so burned out on it all. When I say ALL of it you all know what I mean. The enormous amount of time spent researching things. The countless succession of bitter disappointments over failed treatment regimens. The social stress of dealing with rosacea itself. I finally ended up to where I just gently wash my face once per day using my finger tips lathered in lukewarm bar soap. That's it, nothing else. It works as well or better than anything else I've tried. The food triggers fortunately have lessened substantially over the years. I tolerate dairy products pretty well now. So, all I do is the face washing I described, and avoid these like the plague: direct sunlight, caffiene, ethanol, freezing air, hot air, and hot water.

Comment

I feel very similarly to mattmx (although for me antibiotics are helpful).

Comment

Yes, I do see your point but the reason I posted my original post on "similar and co-existing conditions" section of the forum is because I don't have rosacea but seb. derm only. Maybe I should've named the title better but oh well... I don't know anything about rosacea so I can't really relate. Are rosacea and seb. derm that close to each other?
                  Last edited by isitrosacea; 14 December 2008, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Whoops. Never mind!

Comment

How do you guys actually wash your face?

So, how do you, my fellow SD sufferers, wash your face? For many years, I used to wash my face with a soap. I took some soap, lathered it with some warm water and just used my palms to quickly wipe my face, then rinse and towel dry. Now I use my fingertips to thoroughly clean my nose, then use the palms for the rest of the face. I really have no idea which method is better lol. My face started to get real bad near the end of my soap wash (and denial) period, it was all red and very irritated and flaky. Now it seems to do better but I still don't know if I should focus on my nose like that. What do you guys think? I don't even know if I'm supposed to get all the gunk out since I can never clean my nose properly, ever. When I use soap (very rarely these days), the white stuff just keeps coming and coming off my nose. It seems that it would never end, and as an end result my nose is shining red for a while. Dunno if this kinda cleaning is good in the long run haha.

Comment

Initially I had steroid induced rosacea as well as a bit of seb derm, so I was using very mild cleansers like Cetaphil to wash my face. After a few months of this my rosacea went away but my seb derm was quite bad and I decided it was time to use something with more detergents in it - Cetaphil wasn't cutting it. As an experiment I washed my face with the Ivory shower gel I use on my body and that helped quite a bit so I still use it because it's nice not to have to have 40 different kinds of cleanser and moisturizer and so on. I'm sure that people with more of a rosacea overlap aren't able to use these kinds of cleansers but it works for me.

My seb derm is moderate if untreated but a simple regime keeps it in check. I wash with Ivory shower gel (not bar soap - too drying) twice a day and follow it up with coconut oil. Soon I'm going to experiment with taking the coconut oil internally as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X