Coconut Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coconut Oil

Having heard that coconut oil can be topically employed to get rid of seb derm of the scalp, I decided to give it a whirl on my face as well because it's not that expensive and if it doesn't work I can always cook with it because I love the taste of coconuts.

Anyway, I bought a jar of cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil, which at room temperature has the consistency of fat (although it smells divine). It melts on the skin though as its melting point is 24 degrees celcius. I rubbed a bit of it into my face earlier this evening and will let you know how it goes.

It felt pleasant going on, for my skin is extremely starved of moisture. Despite having seb derm, I actually have very dry skin even when I wake up in the morning. Everytime I try to moisturize I just end up with red bumps everywhere so I alternate between that and dry flakes. My face was very warm afterwards but when I checked in the mirror I only had a mild flush, so it might have just been the result of rubbing the skin. After about an hour or so my skin began to itch in my nasal folds and cheeks, which is usually a bad sign for me. I washed the stuff off and will wait and see if it did anything. One positive thing is that now that my skin is washed clean of everything, it's not quite as dry as it was before. So as long as I don't break out in red spots, even that will be an improvement.

I would think that it might be better to just use coconut oil only once of twice a week. I cook with coconut oil and occasionally put it on my hands, wouldnt ever have the nerve to put it on my face though.

Comment

I was a bit worried too but I figured once couldn't hurt too much. However, it actually seems to be doing some good so I've tried it again. After the first time it no longer itched so I've been able to leave it on overnight.

I rub it in rather sparingly and so far I've noticed that I have somewhat less flaking and only a couple of tiny red spots on my forehead - whereas usually I have a rash of irritated red bumps followed by flaking all over my forehead and cheeks if I so much as put on too much aloe vera, let alone a decent moisturizer. The inflamed skin on the side of my nose and on one of my nasal folds is much less irritated looking.

My skin now looks fine but still feels a bit rough, so I'll keep trying it out to see if the improvement continues or whether it's just a coincidence. I'm not sure if this would work for someone whose skin is very oily but because mine is dry (I honestly have no idea how I manage to even have seb derm) it's working out alright.

Comment

i also struggle with the same problem- very dry skin with Seb Derm. I'm curious to see how the oil works out for you.

Comment

Actually today it looks quite good. You would not be able to tell that I have seb derm unless you were about six inches away from my face, and even then you might just think I have a little bit of dry skin on my forehead. Today I have almost no flakes, less roughness, more moisturized looking skin, and two pinpoint red dots on one cheek.

It's not perfect but it's not bad.

Comment

Qutoed from Bee's wonderful Candida Information Website : http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com...s/coconut3.php

Rosacea Cure (an ancecdote)

Since I added coconut oil to my diet and using it on my skin (about two weeks ago) a rosacea problem (red skin on the face and neck) of more than 15 year's duration has all but entirely cleared up.

The problem started when I moved to dry climate in California's San Jose peninsula. So it's possible that dehydration was the cause. Or maybe it's a fungus. Or a bacteria. No one really knows -- including the dermatologist I went to cure the problem.

The ointment she gave me seemed effective where I applied it, but caused it to spread to surrounding areas. When I spread it even wider to cover clear skin as well, the rosacea simply spread wider and stayed on the edges. When I returned to her office, I wanted to know what I was up against!

She told me that they didn't know what caused it, and if the antibiotic ointment she gave me didn't work, she'd try something stronger and suggest something to take internally.

By that time, I had had enough of that kind of "try it and see what happens" approach. And I had begun to blame my skin condition on the cortisone injections and creams that doctors used to give me to "cure" poison oak and poison ivy -- until I discovered a simple little soap that takes care of the problem quite nicely -- a soap called tecnu (see Curing Poison Oak and Poison Ivy).

If the doctors could be so wrong about that, I figured they could be wrong about this, too -- especially since they didn't even know what caused the problem!

So I said goodbye to the doctor. But it would be years before I found out about coconut oil's healing properties. But, once I did, results came quickly. After two weeks, my neck and face are nearly normal. You have to look closely to see the last remnants of the problem.

And the deep crevices that had formed to either side of my nose have smoothed over. One is almost completely gone. The other is half as long and deep as it used to be. In a word, I've taken another 10 years or so off my appearance.

I'm getting more sun, too. I've noticed that sunlight caused minor improvements in the past. The coconut helps there, too. It keeps the skin from drying out and protects against free radical damage, so I can get more sunlight.

Of course, the problem may never entirely disappear. The story is that once you have it, it stays forever. There is always the possibility that it will disappear altogether.

If the problem really is caused by a fungus or bacteria, and the coconut oil is killing it, then the problem could well be eradicated completely. Not even the high-priced skin conditioning regimens on the infomercials can say that -- and coconut oil is a whole lot less expensive than those remedies.

Comment

Dry skin with as

This is my first post on this forum although I have been monitering for months. After severel months of he'll tryingto get my rosacea to calm down ihave to the conclusion that I have as too. I have no idea what brought it on. Anyway I find apple cider vinegar helps keep of it under control except my Perioral area seems to be something else going on there. I having been looking for a moisturizure for some time I too seem flake
              More when I use moisturizers. So live with dry and fewer flakes or Dewey with more bumps and flaking afterwards. I will cocONut oil a try.

Comment

sorry last post is such a mess. Posting on my iPod

Comment

So far things are still going well. My cheeks and nose are pale, I don't really have any red bumps, and the flakiness is way down. The bit of roughness on my cheeks and forehead has also decreased. Again, it's still not 100% but unless you were me staring avidly in the mirror with your face pressed against the glass, you probably wouldn't really notice anything.

Today I'm going to dig out my humidifier now that the cold weather is here for good, to see if some of the flakiness isn't just ordinary dry skin from central heating. I notice that the skin on the rest of my body is starting to dry out and itch so that could be part of the problem.

Fut - I have heard that coconut oil is good for you internally, especially if you have candida, which I rather suspect I do. I put a couple of teaspoons of it into my porridge and it's really tasty. I don't know if it's doing anything for me yet but I would probably have to have more.

Flakey - Nice post! Sounds like your situation is similar to mine. I also have problems with the perioral area as I tend to get perioral dermatitis flare ups. I don't put the coconut oil on my chin because it's not flaky and it's taken me so long to figure out how to calm it down. I just use aloe there.

Comment

I tried coconut oil for moisturizer (applied everyday for a week) and it worked pretty well except it made me break out - especially on my upper chest and shoulders where it ran down from applying in the shower. Anyways, I stopped using it because of the breakouts but noticed it had a beneficial effect on my skin for a couple weeks. Maybe I'll give it another go - this time once a week. Currently using jojoba oil for moisturizer which works ok and doesn't cause me to break out.

Comment

Originally posted by Brighteyes View Post
                      I tried coconut oil for moisturizer (applied everyday for a week) and it worked pretty well except it made me break out - especially on my upper chest and shoulders where it ran down from applying in the shower. Anyways, I stopped using it because of the breakouts but noticed it had a beneficial effect on my skin for a couple weeks. Maybe I'll give it another go - this time once a week. Currently using jojoba oil for moisturizer which works ok and doesn't cause me to break out.
                      I believe that something like Coconut Oil may have undesirable effects (die off smyptoms) even whena pplied topically. Then afterwards, it gets better before it ever was.

My skin is so soft now it's amazing!

Comment

I've been using this for about ten days now and I seem to have stabilized at not quite 100%, but much better than before. I no longer have any red bumps or inflamation around my nose, cheeks or forehead but I still have a small amount of flaking and roughness on my forehead. It's not really noticeable, but there it is. I have, however, noticed a very small breakout of actual pimples on the extreme sides of my cheeks near my jaw. They're quite small and they seem to heal very quickly so I'm not sure what to do about them. I think I'll carry on with the coconut oil for now, in the hopes that these little break outs go away.

Comment

Would coconut oil be effective against redness associated with flushing, or only with redness that is caused by p&ps or seb derm (when it's being applied on skin that is)?

Comment

Well I understand that in addition to being very emollient, coconut oil has anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. It helps with the inflammation of seb derm (I presume) because it does something about the fungus that's at the root of the problem. I don't know what it would do for rosacea flushing other than strengthen the skin barrier - which is no bad thing in and of itself but probably not a magic bullet.

Maybe someone else has tried it for flushing?

Comment

I tried coconut oil before....it's been awhile....I didn't use the kind in a jar from the health food store in the cooking section I think it was sold in the cosmetic area of the store....but it made me more red and scaley skin increased....I was so bummed out....same with shea butter 100% pure.......I wonder why it helps some of us (fut) but not others?

Fut what brand did you use on your face??
                              Dx 1998

Comment

Working...
                              X