Oral metronidazole and demodex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oral metronidazole and demodex

Hi all! Has anyone here taken oral metronidazole for their demodex overpopulation (without ivermectin) and if so, how was your experience? Did it help and did it take the entire two weeks until you noticed any improvement?

I started taking it about 3 days ago and currently it rather feels like it's getting worse. And I don't mean worse as in die-off symptoms, but worse as in my skin feeling a bit more sandpaper-y, itchy as well as more hair loss (which all had improved a bit, from other things I used). Don't know if it's a bad sign or if I just need to wait it out. I've read studies where oral metro (on its own) has been both effective and uneffective against demodex so it's hard to know what to expect.
    Last edited by soapbubbles1; 14 March 2021, 01:26 AM.

I don't recall any anecdotal reports about taking oral metronidazole alone here at RF, but then, my memory isn't that reliable. There are currently only about 100 active members in RF out of 38K members and I haven't taken the time to browse through a search on this subject. I do recall that there is a paper indicating that taking oral metronidazole and oral ivermectin improves rosacea over taking oral metronidazole alone. ElaineA at post no 10 is one who took both. Wish I could be of better help. It would take an hour or so to browse through a search in RF to see if there are others who have taken oral metronidazole and probably there may be a few threads on this subject.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 14 March 2021, 01:16 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Originally posted by soapbubbles1 View Post
      Hi all! Has anyone here taken oral metronidazole for their demodex overpopulation (without ivermectin) and if so, how was your experience? Did it help and did it take the entire two weeks until you noticed any improvement?

I started taking it about 3 days ago and currently it rather feels like it's getting worse. And I don't mean worse as in die-off symptoms, but worse as in my skin feeling a bit more sandpaper-y, itchy as well as more hair loss (which all had improved a bit, from other things I used). Don't know if it's a bad sign or if I just need to wait it out. I've read studies where oral metro (on its own) has been both effective and uneffective against demodex so it's hard to know what to expect.
      Hi there, check out this post where ElaineA talks positively about combined Oral Ivermectin + Oral Metronidazole treatment: https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea...+metronidazole

EDIT: Oops! Sorry, just re-read your post and realised you were after stories re metronidazole without Ivermectin. Apologies! Ignore me.

Comment

Originally posted by soapbubbles1 View Post

The itchiness is a common symptom of demodex as is the sandpaper texture. Demodex caused my eyelashes to start falling out in large numbers daily. I was noticeably losing 1 to 3 eyelashes per eye daily at its worst - and those were just the ones that were still stuck to the facial skin/eye area. Since the Oral Ivermectin + Oral Metronidazole my eyelashes have grown back. Now I noticeably lose just 1 or 2 eyelashes a month. The sandpaper texture is likely the demodex dying just under the surface of the skin. If you can tolerate a mild facial scrub a few times a week, that should help slough off the upper surface of the skin and the trash left behind by the demodex will work its way to the surface and disappear. I use the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Daily Gel Cream Exfoliating Cleanser with Hyaluronic Acid several times a week. Its not too abrasive for me but some people have more sensitive skin, so proceed with caution.

There is a good chance that the Oral Metronidazole is working. But it does take a minimum of 2 weeks to work. No treatment or drug is known to kill demodex eggs. It takes demodex eggs about 3 days to hatch after being laid. You have to take the oral treatment long enough to make it through several generations of demodex to kill off the population. No treatment known will kill the demodex eggs. The oral treatments are highly effective in killing the hatched eggs. The reason you need to take it that long is to make sure that after it kills off the current batch of breeders, it also kills the next generation that hatch from the eggs the previous generation laid. If the oral drug treatment isn't taken to completion, it likely won't be effective in the long run.

Comment

Working...
        X