X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hart07
    replied
    Originally posted by savino View Post
    For the past year I've been using nothing but 5000 IU of vitamin D daily to control my SD and it has been working very well. It eliminated the SD on my scalp however from time to time I would notice very small amounts of flaking on the sides of my nose and in my eyebrows. I've already tried every antifungal out there (ketoconazole, climbazole, decalact liquid, piroctone olamine, aloe vera, tea tree oil, selenium sulfide, dead sea salt, etc.) but I am unable to use any of them due to extreme chemical sensitivities even after formulating my own products with natural Ecocert ingredients. I am also allergic to MCT oil which makes treating SD with a cream or a lotion nearly impossible.

Recently I started doing some research about vitamins and SD. I first stumbled upon a study in which SD was successfully treated with 4% topical nicotinamide which is a form of vitamin B3. Since B vitamins are soluble in water I ordered some nicotinamide and made a 4% aqueous solution. It turns out nicotinamide smells exactly like nicotine (not a big surprise there) which isn't very desirable for a skin product. I personally find the smell disgusting, it gives me headaches. The second problem is that once diluted in water the final solution forms a relatively thick film when applied to the skin which then starts to flake and look like exactly like SD. Similar to a xanthan gum solution. So I quickly abandoned nicotinamide and then found an article from 1952 in which a 1% pyridoxine (vitamin B6) cream successfully treated SD.

I bought some pyridoxine, made a 2% aqueous solution applied it to my face and it seems to be working. The flakes have disappeared as well as the redness. I only used it twice in the past 7 days so the results seem promising. Pyridoxine has quite a pleasant sugary like smell which disappears when used as a solution. For now I ditched the vitamin D for the sake of the experiment but I will eventually start taking it again to treat my scalp SD. Since this has to be a leave-on product it does not seem suitable for scalp use.

Maybe this information helps others with similar problems. Good luck.
    Where you can find piridoxyne cream 1%?
    Why you don't apply directly the cream, why you made a solution with water?

Leave a comment:

• boris
    replied
    Originally posted by Senbonzakura View Post
    I know this might be slightly off topic but has anyone ever been checked for vitamin deficiencies? I'm just wondering as from my own personal experience some vitamins seem to be great for my skin but I've had numerous tests for vitamin deficiencies and all the tests came back fine.
    ive been tested and was found to be very deficient in vits A and K , both fat soluble vits. also found to be low in Boron and Melatonin and high in numerous metals ...

taking supplements but not really noticed much change

Leave a comment:

• dryad
    replied
    Originally posted by Senbonzakura View Post
    I know this might be slightly off topic but has anyone ever been checked for vitamin deficiencies? I'm just wondering as from my own personal experience some vitamins seem to be great for my skin but I've had numerous tests for vitamin deficiencies and all the tests came back fine.
    I have suspected vitamin malabsorption without measurable deficiency. The levels in my blood are normal but maybe my body can't utilize the vitamins. I'll probably follow up on it in a couple weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Senbonzakura
    replied
    Originally posted by dryad View Post
    I'm on prescription vitamin B6 as well as D, B1, and B12 -- all in pill form. Skin has never been better. But I am on other stuff (topicals etc) also so I don't know which thing deserves the most credit, but it's certainly not hurting.

(Diagnosed SD in 2013.)

Leave a comment:

• dryad
    replied
    I'm on prescription vitamin B6 as well as D, B1, and B12 -- all in pill form. Skin has never been better. But I am on other stuff (topicals etc) also so I don't know which thing deserves the most credit, but it's certainly not hurting.

(Diagnosed SD in 2013.)

Leave a comment:

• savino
    replied
    That's fine but in my experience a high concentration of xanthan gum dissolved in water forms a gel which doesn't get fully absorbed into the skin, dries up and eventually flakes off. The nicotinamide solution is nothing like a gel however it does seem to flake when used copiously. That's just my experience, the way I used it. Maybe it wouldn't flake if used less. It doesn't really matter since nicotinamide smells awful to me and pyridoxine works great.

I attached both articles so anyone can experiment with both ingredients and see what works for them.

Leave a comment:

• johnabetts
    replied
    My concern was that you may have been supplied with something that was not what it was purported to be and that there may be some inherent disadvantage to you in applying to your affected skin whatever the material might be.

I stand by my original statement that nicotinamide (US niacinamide) does NOT smell of nicotine, nor does it resemble xanthan gum. The chemical structures of nicotine and nicotinamide are very different and they have no pharmacological similarity.

It is, of course, entirely up to you what you apply to your skin - I was just offering some advice in good faith. Take it or leave it.

Leave a comment:

• savino
    replied
    Originally posted by johnabetts View Post
    I don't know what you have been sold under the name of nicotinamide but, I can assure you that it does NOT smell like nicotine nor should it form a 'thick film' on the skin at any usable concentration, certainly not at the suggested 4% and it does not resemble xanthan gum solutions at all.

Regarding pyridoxine, that is also odourless.

Were these two items from the same supplier? Either way, I think you should check on what you have actually bought.
    Pyridoxine powder is not odourless but its aqueous solution is, like I mentioned. I see no point in going back and forth about odours and smells since it's somewhat subjective. Some people won't pick up anything, some will. If you can't smell it, it does not mean the scent is not there. Have checked and it's all good.

Leave a comment:

• johnabetts
    replied
    I don't know what you have been sold under the name of nicotinamide but, I can assure you that it does NOT smell like nicotine nor should it form a 'thick film' on the skin at any usable concentration, certainly not at the suggested 4% and it does not resemble xanthan gum solutions at all.

Regarding pyridoxine, that is also odourless.

Were these two items from the same supplier? Either way, I think you should check on what you have actually bought.

Leave a comment:

• savino
    replied
    It's good to hear that! MCT oil felt a little too heavy on my skin but it seems like it works well for mild SD.
    Last edited by savino; 12 December 2018, 01:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• donmattus
    replied
    Hi,
    Thanks for sharing. An interesting possibility! I find things work in the short term but not in the long term so I'd love to know how it is in a few months time.
    I dont have SD anymore. CCT oil is all I use (only water to clean my face) and I find it works to moisturise my skin and keep SD at bay. I haven't had signs of SD now for over a year. I'm still interested to know the out come of this though!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• savino
    started a topic Pyridoxine (vitamin B6) for SD

Pyridoxine (vitamin B6) for SD

For the past year I've been using nothing but 5000 IU of vitamin D daily to control my SD and it has been working very well. It eliminated the SD on my scalp however from time to time I would notice very small amounts of flaking on the sides of my nose and in my eyebrows. I've already tried every antifungal out there (ketoconazole, climbazole, decalact liquid, piroctone olamine, aloe vera, tea tree oil, selenium sulfide, dead sea salt, etc.) but I am unable to use any of them due to extreme chemical sensitivities even after formulating my own products with natural Ecocert ingredients. I am also allergic to MCT oil which makes treating SD with a cream or a lotion nearly impossible.

Recently I started doing some research about vitamins and SD. I first stumbled upon a study in which SD was successfully treated with 4% topical nicotinamide which is a form of vitamin B3. Since B vitamins are soluble in water I ordered some nicotinamide and made a 4% aqueous solution. It turns out nicotinamide smells exactly like nicotine (not a big surprise there) which isn't very desirable for a skin product. I personally find the smell disgusting, it gives me headaches. The second problem is that once diluted in water the final solution forms a relatively thick film when applied to the skin which then starts to flake and look like exactly like SD. Similar to a xanthan gum solution. So I quickly abandoned nicotinamide and then found an article from 1952 in which a 1% pyridoxine (vitamin B6) cream successfully treated SD.

I bought some pyridoxine, made a 2% aqueous solution applied it to my face and it seems to be working. The flakes have disappeared as well as the redness. I only used it twice in the past 7 days so the results seem promising. Pyridoxine has quite a pleasant sugary like smell which disappears when used as a solution. For now I ditched the vitamin D for the sake of the experiment but I will eventually start taking it again to treat my scalp SD. Since this has to be a leave-on product it does not seem suitable for scalp use.

Maybe this information helps others with similar problems. Good luck.
    Last edited by savino; 11 December 2018, 06:30 PM.
Working...
X