Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thick layer of dead skin on my face, please help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sejon
    replied
    Thanks anyway, Tom.

For those who don't want to go the DIY route, I can at least confirm that OZ Naturals makes a Hyaluronic Acid serum using HMW sodium hyaluronate (they specified that it's 1.8 - 2.2 million daltons), at a final concentration of roughly 2.5%. It's not cheap considering the amount you get (~$15 for 30ml), but it's considerably cheaper than most of the high-end alternatives out there, and it helps that they're very open and responsive to queries.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Busby
    replied
    Hi sejon, I don't know enough to make a prediction.

Leave a comment:

• sejon
    replied
    Hi Tom, thanks for all the info. I do remember reading that HMW is preferred. Unfortunately, ordering my own from Lotioncrafter is quite cost-prohibitive considering I'm in Europe. I found a UK source for it, but the only powder they sell is specified to have a molecular weight ranging between 30,000 and 2,000,000 g/mole, which is quite a broad range. From what I gather that means it has HMW (High), LMW (Low), and SLMW (Super Low), all in one powder. Do you still think it might be worth trying?

Leave a comment:

• Tom Busby
    replied
    Here's another article discussing the benefit of high molecular weight (HMW) sodium hyaluronate should be used: http://www.woundsresearch.com/articl...e-regeneration

However, I think it's fair to say that a certain portion of HMW sodium hyaluronate will break down, through heat or normal immune-system responses, to low molecular weight, and that this breakdown-process is part of the reason HMW reduces excess keratin.

I can't explain why companies that market the most expensive hyaluronic serums tout the benefits of low molecular weight -- I suspect it's purely to create a perception in consumers' minds, rather than to produce beneficial results.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Busby
    replied
    Here's an article on the subject: https://journals.library.ualberta.ca...ew/23862/17888

Leave a comment:

• Tom Busby
    replied
    Hi sejon, I'm currently using 0.7% high molecular weight (HMW) from lotioncrafter. However, I heat it to 160F briefly before hydrating it, so I believe that it becomes a mix of HMW and low molecular weight.

Leave a comment:

• sejon
    replied
    Hi Tom, what concentration and weight of sodium hyaluronate have you observed to be the most effective? It's quite a common ingredient in topical products these days, and I've always regarded it as helpful for providing hydration but not particularly useful at dissolving excess keratin as you claim, so I'm curious why there's such a disparity between your experience with it and my own (for instance, perhaps topical products don't have it in an adequate concentration).

It does remind me of this study which used a Low Molecular Weight of the sodium salt of hyaluronic acid (a.k.a. sodium hyaluronate) at 0.2% concentration to treat seb derm, but I've always taken it with a grain of salt (pun not intended!).

Leave a comment:

• Tom Busby
    replied
    I've found that sodium hyaluronate, aka hyaluronic serum, is the most effective single ingredient to remove excess keratin. I can't recommend a particular brand though -- I make my own, and the INCI labelling of these serums leaves out all the useful information because all of them contain less than 1% sodium hyaluronate. Lotioncrafter provides an explanation of the various "weights" that can be used.

Leave a comment:

• Myth
    started a topic Thick layer of dead skin on my face, please help.

Thick layer of dead skin on my face, please help.

Hello,
    I have a thick layer of dead skin that I can't seem to get rid of, it has been accumulating, especially on my forehead, in-between my eyebrows and on my nose. When I get out of the shower it softens up and it is much more noticeable, like a white cast on my face. When it dries it isn't as noticeable but it has a rough texture.
    Has anyone else had this problem? I have looked it up and found others with the same problem but it always leads to a dead end. I've been moisturizing with CeraVe in an attempt to soften the skin so it will exfoliate on it's own but it hasn't been very effective so far, any suggestions would be appreciated - I'm going crazy with this.
    Last edited by Myth; 23 August 2017, 10:48 PM.
Working...
X