Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best moisturizer for seborrheic dermatitis prone skin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best moisturizer for seborrheic dermatitis prone skin?

Hi guys,

I'm a male, 30, i have combination to oily skin (combination to dry in winter cold) and I'm having SD episodes for the last 10 years at least. Episodes usually come in winter, when the temperatures drop to some degrees (January, February usually).

Well, nothing new, like many of you.

I'm aware of the treatments, but my biggest problem now is finding a nice moisturizer to use in the winter that:

1) doesn't feed the yeast with more "bad" lipids
    2) doesn't leave a film on my skin (creamy ones usually do) (this one is not mandatory but preferred)

I am talking about moisturizing during remission times; not during flare-ups (I usually prefer not to put ANY moisturizer during flare-ups to avoid getting worse).

I've been using Argan Oil (yes, I know, it's a very greasy oil, probably being doing *very* wrong , but couldn't find many google findings on this one and SD) during remission and I *think* it's been OK, but obviously it could feed the yeast for active times.

So, TLDR, what kind of moisturizer do you guys use for SD skin? Are *any* oils bad? Just because creamy ones are usually too thick on my face and break me out (and some leave a film).

Thanks so much ;)
    Last edited by pmg; 14 April 2016, 04:52 PM.

EDIT: I've looked into other topics, and Tom (and mostly everyone) recomends Cerave PM (cheap option). I will look into it and probably try it, sorry for double posting.

However, about argan oil I couldnt find much. Tom (and other posters), what's your opinion on Argan Oil for SD? Thank you

Comment

Hi pmg, argan oil is all C16 and C18, so it would be in the range that malassezia can metabolize.

All fruit, nut, seed and plant oils are metabolized by malassezia, and the result is that every type of oil found in nature can be metabolized by malassezia.

The only oils that can't be metabolized are MCT oil, which is C8 and C10, and petrolatum, which is C22 and longer. These aren't found in nature -- MCT oil is vacuum distilled from coconut oil or palm oil (whereby the lighter, shorter carbon chains boil off first), and petrolatum is distilled from hydrocarbons produced by oil wells.

Malassezia's closest relative is a type of corn smut, so it's reasonable to assume that plant oils were its original food source, and then malassezia evolved into a fungus living on mammals. It's also reasonable to assume that malassezia has been around a lot longer than humans, and is very adaptable.

Your skin will of course continue to produce natural sebum, so using MCT oil (caprylic/capric triglycerides) won't cure anything, but it won't make the problem worse, and is a very light, odorless, colorless oil, with a two year shelf life.

Comment

Thank you very much Tom, very informative answer so I can understand this whole thing better.

I will stop Argan Oil and look into MCT in my country or order online (and just ordered cerave pm to try).

Take care,

Comment

Originally posted by pmg View Post
          Thank you very much Tom, very informative answer so I can understand this whole thing better.

I will stop Argan Oil and look into MCT in my country or order online (and just ordered cerave pm to try).

Take care,
          Hello pmg.
          I to cant moisturise when im having a flare up, I tried just the other day with cerave pm and it made me much worse.
          Im going to buy some MCT oil and give that a go.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky7ot View Post
            Hello pmg.
            I to cant moisturise when im having a flare up, I tried just the other day with cerave pm and it made me much worse.
            Im going to buy some MCT oil and give that a go.
            Thanks for the heads-up.

I'm still waiting for my Cerave PM order, and I'll be very careful trying it and see how my skin reacts.

Comment

Originally posted by pmg View Post
              Thanks for the heads-up.

I'm still waiting for my Cerave PM order, and I'll be very careful trying it and see how my skin reacts.
              Got my MCT oil, so far its been brilliant.
              Ive all but cleared up.
              Buy some now........

Comment

Originally posted by sparky7ot View Post
                Got my MCT oil, so far its been brilliant.
                Ive all but cleared up.
                Buy some now........
                Really? That's great news for you.

I'll definetely think about it Thanks

Comment

Btw, sparky7ot, which brand are u using? Tks

Comment

Working...
                  X