Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad reaction to coconut oil

Hi,
    I have rosacea but now i'm starting to think I have a little seb derm too as my skin gets dry/oily/dehydrated and flakes.. So the other night I tried a little Coconut oil this is pure virgin stuff that's solid form. It felt lovely and cool at first and my skin looked pretty calm. Then I went to bed and woke up with one side of my face red and burning and todays red face is the aftermath.
    I'm confused as I thought this was ok for skin care.
    Siempre hay una razón para sonreír

Hi gizzy, skin flakes are usually associated with malassezia. The key to malassezia is that it's lipid dependent, which means it must have oil to support its metabolism. Coconut oil is the best growth medium for malassezia in labs: journal-phytology.com/article/viewfile/6390/3245.

However, there is some credible evidence that coconut oil is effective against Keratosis Pilaris (aka chicken skin, where small skin bumps arise exclusively from hair follicles), a condition that affects 40% of the world, which apparently is the reason why so many people swear by coconut oil. In addition, research articles show coconut oil is effective against candida. http://www.thecandidadiet.com/resear...oconut-oil.pdf Coconut oil may be useful as a differential diagnosis, but for me it's like throwing gasoline on a fire. Sorry to hear you are in the same boat.

OTC treatments for malassezia are reviewed at the "sticky" at the top of Similar and Co-Existing Conditions. It's treatable but takes a long time. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by gizzy View Post
      Hi,
      I have rosacea but now i'm starting to think I have a little seb derm too as my skin gets dry/oily/dehydrated and flakes.. So the other night I tried a little Coconut oil this is pure virgin stuff that's solid form. It felt lovely and cool at first and my skin looked pretty calm. Then I went to bed and woke up with one side of my face red and burning and todays red face is the aftermath.
      I'm confused as I thought this was ok for skin care.
      I have Seb Derm and when I first started the honey/coconut oil treatment, my face flared up so badly to the point that it was swollen! I know there are many people that have experienced success using coconut oil, I certainly was NOT one of them. Out of sheer stupidity, I kept doing it thinking that it was going to be worse before it got better, eventually I stopped. I then switched over to the the honey treatment alone, and sure enough, my face started to clear. During my really bad flare, and I mean a good 85% of my face surface was red and swollen - eyelids, forehead, cheeks, chin, around mouth... I just let my skin be dry, and dry to the point that I could barely crack a smile! I was too scared to try anything new while the honey was working.

Unfortunately, coconut oil does not work for us all. Which is ashame.

And Tom, thanks for the article. This confirms why I wasn't able to use coconut oil!
      Last edited by vienna4444; 2 October 2013, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vienna4444 View Post
        I have Seb Derm and when I first started the honey/coconut oil treatment, my face flared up so badly to the point that it was swollen! I know there are many people that have experienced success using coconut oil, I certainly was NOT one of them. Out of sheer stupidity, I kept doing it thinking that it was going to be worse before it got better, eventually I stopped. I then switched over to the the honey treatment alone, and sure enough, my face started to clear. During my really bad flare, and I mean a good 85% of my face surface was red and swollen - eyelids, forehead, cheeks, chin, around mouth... I just let my skin be dry, and dry to the point that I could barely crack a smile! I was too scared to try anything new while the honey was working.

Unfortunately, coconut oil does not work for us all. Which is ashame.

And Tom, thanks for the article. This confirms why I wasn't able to use coconut oil!
        I'm extremely grateful to Auburn for her advice about using honey as a treatment for seborrhoeic dermatitis. There is no doubt that it helped clear my facial skin. But the coconut oil part of her sticky should be removed.

Vienna, you are just one of the many people who have reported a bad reaction to coconut oil which is the worst thing you can apply to a skin with seborrhoeic dermatitis (see Tom Busby's explanation).

This site is giving out very misleading information and causing untold suffering. Could a MODERATOR look into this and make the necessary adjustments please?

Comment

During winter

During winter time I have no idea what I would do without coconut oil. When my skin is dry this is the only thing I can put on my face.

The key for me is using a very small amount.

I don't know if I have seb derm, rosacea, or how to even begin to classify any of this.... I just know that coconut oil helps me when used sparingly.

I remember at first dismissing it-only thinking honey was the winner out of Auburn's recommendation to me.... now I have not used honey in a long time- preferring coconut oil and a lemon juice wash I read about on here.

Face is doing good. Still feel diet plays a huge role in my face. Also sweating-gently sweating everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by solutionquest
            I don't know if I have seb derm, rosacea, or how to even begin to classify any of this.... I just know that coconut oil helps me when used sparingly.
            I'm very pleased you have found something to help you. I doubt if your problem is connected to the yeast Malassezia which thrives on oil.

I wasted months thinking the honey/coconut regime was lethal for my skin. Then by reading numerous posts I finally worked out that honey alone was fine. It was the coconut oil that I reacted badly to. I wish I'd found this out sooner.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys.. I wish i had of researched more before putting it on my face. I think I did use quite a chunk to be fair which then melted into my skin. So now I have a big jar of solid coconut in my kitchen I could use it for cooking I suppose or maybe try it again someday but only using a small amount, when I use moisturizer the saying 'less is more' goes out the window. Anyway I have just received CeraVe PM through the post (We don't have it here, only Cetaphil). I'm a little scared to try it as my face is always reacting to things lately.. Has anyone had experience with this?
              Last edited by gizzy; 3 October 2013, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sally View Post
                I'm extremely grateful to Auburn for her advice about using honey as a treatment for seborrhoeic dermatitis. There is no doubt that it helped clear my facial skin. But the coconut oil part of her sticky should be removed.

Vienna, you are just one of the many people who have reported a bad reaction to coconut oil which is the worst thing you can apply to a skin with seborrhoeic dermatitis (see Tom Busby's explanation).

This site is giving out very misleading information and causing untold suffering. Could a MODERATOR look into this and make the necessary adjustments please?
                If it wasn't for Auburn, I wouldn't have known about the honey. So yes, I too, am grateful for that. Here is the abstract for the honey method (medical literature that supports the treatment: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11485891) There is no mention of coconut oil. Unless you have a PubMed account you won't be able to view the entire document, only the abstract.

I would have to say that the coconut oil is indeed risky business!

Comment

Well, I've been using coconut/honey for almost two months now and it's still good.
                  What kind of moisturizer are you using instead of the coconut oil?

Comment

Cethaphil or Head and Shoulders Conditioner perhaps?
                    I could add my only problem is the redness around my nose.
                    Last edited by Wezz; 4 October 2013, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezz View Post
                      Well, I've been using coconut/honey for almost two months now and it's still good.
                      What kind of moisturizer are you using instead of the coconut oil?
                      Hi,
                      Glad to hear it's working for you At the moment I'm using simple hydrating face cream but I do tend to use other products also. My skin is very dry so I prefer richer moisturizers

Comment

Working...
                      X