Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rosacea? Seborrheic Dermatitis? Mites? or Fungal? HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosacea? Seborrheic Dermatitis? Mites? or Fungal? HELP PLEASE!!!!!

I have had red/pink patches of rough skin for 7-8 months which are accompanied by some super tiny colorless bumps and flaking of the skin (I can see white flakes on my skin and scrape them off)...even in areas where there is no pinkness, there is some of this flaking but a lot less. The patches are slightly inflamed and raised over the surrounding areas of skin which are completely normal (meaning the surrounding skin is the same color as the rest of my skin used to be before these pink patches came along). I went to two dermatologists. First one told me it's rosacea. The next one I went to a month ago told me it's rosacea as well. Neither of them were very attentive doctors and neither took a good close look at my skin so I feel like I'm still not sure. My skin itches a lot, so does my scalp,and sometimes I feel itchy on body parts, but more on my face and scalp. If I try to ignore the itch, it's impossible...it will not go away unless I touch the area. It feels like a pricking, burrowing into the skin sensation. A lot of the time, I have felt a tingly, tight, raw feeling with my skin as if my skin is extremely raw and sensitive. My pores seem enlarged and my skin gets very oily in some areas. But most of the time it feels like I have bugs crawling on my face and scalp even in areas where the patches are not red. I have noticed that I am getting indentations on my face for no reason where there was no acne or anything. I 'm getting what sort of looks like pockmarks and this what is upsetting me the most. I have flaking from my scalp, but not sure if it's dandruff because my hair isn't too oily. I've noticed my eyelashes falling out lately, and up until I switched shampoo to a natural aloe vera shampoo, my hair was very limp and thin and greasy looking most of the time.

I've tried using natural ingredients. Tea tree oil seems to help calm down the itching a lot, aloe vera seems to help the dryness and make my skin feel less rough to touch, and witch hazel seemed to help my skin calm down too and lessen the redness, but none of these things seem to be helping long term or maybe I haven't had patience to use them long enough. Water seems to make the itching worse and the skin redder. Getting some sun without any SPF on actually makes the skin look better for a little while instead of redder. I just don't know what I have....is this really rosacea?? Or does what I have sound like something else? I keep finding things about dermatitis, Demodex mites, keratosis pilaris (which I do have on my thighs) and fungal, yeast infections (which I keep wondering if it could be that) I feel like this all started when I used bare minerals make up for a few months. My skin started getting drier and drier and I was feeling tingly itchy feelings slightly on my face but I've stopped using it many months ago.

I do flush but I've always had slight flushing when I'm embarassed or too excited. At times I can control the flush from happening with my thoughts and feelings so it hardly happens anymore. No one in my family has rosacea but they do have flushing. Otherwise I find it odd that my forehead, chin and the area surrounding these pink patches is light and normal. I look like I have discoloration because of it. Please let me know any advice and what you think this sounds like.

One more thing. I'm thinking about finally trying one of the medications I was given by the two derms. One was sodium sulfacetamide lotion 10% which I'm nervous to try because I've tried Plexion sulfur wash before and it made my skin irritated and broken out after one use but I have read that it could help with seborrheic dermatitis if that sounds like what I have. And the other is metronidazole cream .75% which I've read that many people developed very dry skin which I already sort of have so I'm nervous to try this one too....Any ideas on what I should try? Or if I should try one of these over the other?

Please help me thank you!!!
    Last edited by birdsing; 22 August 2011, 02:32 PM.

Does anybody have any advice or ideas for me as to what I have? I would really appreciate some responses as I am very depressed about my skin and confused and don't know what to do anymore. Thank you

Comment

Hi birdsing, if it is mites the borax hp solution and ivermectin will kill them off. I think it would be worth a try Ghost has a lot of info on her profile about these if you want to take a look at her about me section. There are also threads here about these two also, ivermectin and demodex and the hp borax solution. I have been doing these two things along with a low carb diet and IPL (for broken capillaries) and am seeing some improvement

Comment

Oh I forgot to mention.. funny thing, this all happened to me after a bad reaction to bare minerals make up too!!! It all started at the end of march for me. I got a very red itchy face and lots of little bumps everywhere especially on my cheeks and right between my eyes on the bridge of my nose. For the flakeiness you could also try a dandruff shampoo, that seemed to help me for a little bit but I quit using it when I started using Grandpas pine tar soap, I like it and it is good for a lot of different skin conditions and its super cheap.

Comment

amethystice, thank you so much for responding! I've been checking back on here all day yesterday hoping someone might have advice and similar symptoms. I'm sorry that you have been going through the same thing, but I'm thankful for the tips. I can't believe you also had this happen after bare minerals usage. Perhaps we were allergic to the bismuth oxychloride. I read on the net that the bismuth is so finely milled that it can stay in the pores for a long time after usage and that many people who had itching and stopped usage, still felt itching many months after stopping use because it's still in the skin!

Anyway, so you think that what I have may be mites? It's interesting that you are treating yourself for mites. How do you know you have mites? I read on the net that you can get a scraping to be tested for them I think...I wonder if the bare minerals makeup made mites reproduce on our faces and the population increased. Mine started at the end of march too!!! Also, is your face still red? Mine has been red for months but only in certain areas only on the sides of my face on the temple areas and the part of the cheeks that are near the nose...so I look like I have these red rashes.

Have you at all had the same problem as me with getting these indentations sort of like pockmarks on the skin? Also any increase in oiliness on your face? I can literally see the oil on my face sometimes.

Someone told me a month ago on another forum that if it's mites, the metrogel/metrocream will kill them off. Do you know anything about that? I'm wondering if you've been to the derm already and tried some prescription creams.

Here's the interesting thing I didn't mention. I didn't have these red patches form or become visible until I used some Duac acne gel that was prescribed by a dermatologist for acne for me. I think I was still using bare minerals at the time or I had just stopped not long ago. The first time I applied Duac, an hour later, I noticed my skin looked lighter in two areas on my face, but mainly my right side had these two somewhat round white patches probably where I remember putting the Duac since I only spot treated. So I looked like I had discoloration. After that, I didn't use anything on my face for a little while (maybe almost a month) hoping that it would make the light skin discoloration go away. Instead I slowly got pinker to redder skin around the light areas on both sides of my face. I wonder if I had an overproduction of mites from bare minerals and they didn't like the Duac so they ran from it and harbored into other areas on my face making it more red. I initially thought the Duac bleached my skin because it says it can bleach materials, but I couldn't find anyone on the net who had suffered from this reaction. Also, when I compare the skin to my neck and my forehead, the skin color looks like it must be my natural skin color. I don't know what I'm talking about of course with all my theories....but the lighter areas are STILL light and normal soft skin to this day, while the red patches are slightly raised, a little dry and rough to touch compared to the normal skin in between the patches. My forehead was clearer but now is starting to itch more and bumps and some acne are forming there.

One more thing! If it is mites, I read somewhere that the host lives in the house? And if you leave the house for a few days and stay somewhere else, you may see improvement in the skin. Know anything about that? I found it interesting that when I stayed with a friend in the city, my skin patches seemed less pink.
          Last edited by birdsing; 23 August 2011, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Oh! And when i used hydrocortisone butyrate, it gave me a new light patch on my skin in an area where I had pink/red skin, but when I saw it, I freaked out and ran to the bathroom and scrubbed the ointment off and it made my skin all red and sensitive for a day and then the light patch was pretty much gone. So odd. I am too confused with my skin.

Comment

Hi BirdSing,

I'm sorry you are having these problems, it can be very frustrating for sure. If you do have demodex you probably are not going to get a doctor to diagnosis it. Many doctors do not believe in the theory. Most people here have taken a trial and error approach to treating the mites. Basically just try some of the know mite killers and observe the results. But do be patient as the mite problem doesn't resolve quickly.

-Dave-

Comment

I have always had pink cheeks, but it was not until the bare minerals reaction that I got the bumps, burning, itching, and broken capillaries... I soooo wish I would have never used that stuff!! As for mites.. my gp says everyone has them but she didn't think it would cause my rosacea. I never even asked the derms I have been too because they just don't seem to like to think outside the box. However I have to say that when I went to see my GP today she said my skin looked good, I told her I was still using the ivermectin topically, I told her I had been using it she told me that she felt comfortable for me to keep on using it as long as i didn't have any bad side effects. (However she did not put this information in my chart LOL) I have tried several perscriptions, metrogel just made me redder, antibiotics (help keep the bumps under control), I still use the grandpas pine tar soap bar on my face, I like it! I have been using that for about 3-4 weeks now, I just got the pine tar shampoo and i like how it makes my hair feel (feels better than using the bar of soap for your hair haha)

Comment

Oh and yes, I do know what you are talking about... the little divots, enlarged pores, and very very oily skin (i have to take tissue and blot my face all day long) I thought that maybe the oiliness was due to being on the depo shot for birth control but now I don't know. The shot takes so long to get out of our system (6months to a year) I guess I will just have to wait it out to see if the oilyness goes away!

Comment

so amethy, this all started when you used bare minerals make up?

it started for me when i used apple cider vinegar... how i regret that

Comment

Yes, I hardly ever wore make up and I started dating someone at the time so of course I wanted to look nice.. I had used this make up off and on for years but I only used it maybe once or twice a year. but at this time I was wearing it like 3-4 times a week because i had broke out a little on my cheek, so I used more and more to cover it up (dumb!), guess that was too much for my skin to handle. A funny thing though, for the past year before this had happened I had finally got rid of all my acne by only washing with water and then water and vinegar, just because I felt i needed to use "something" (plain white vinegar, my skin didn't seem to like the apple cider kind)

Comment

did apple cider vinegar cause any permanent damage?

How long did you use it?

Also what type of acne did you have? was it scarring?

Comment

Originally posted by amethystice215 View Post
                          Yes, I hardly ever wore make up and I started dating someone at the time so of course I wanted to look nice.. I had used this make up off and on for years but I only used it maybe once or twice a year. but at this time I was wearing it like 3-4 times a week because i had broke out a little on my cheek, so I used more and more to cover it up (dumb!), guess that was too much for my skin to handle. A funny thing though, for the past year before this had happened I had finally got rid of all my acne by only washing with water and then water and vinegar, just because I felt i needed to use "something" (plain white vinegar, my skin didn't seem to like the apple cider kind)
                          Did you already have an existing skin problem when you started using Bare Minerals?

Comment

amethystice, I switched my make-up to bare minerals. I always wore make-up everyday but was annoyed at how long it tookso I changed to bare minerals because it seemed faster to swipe all over the face and be good to go. I just don't understand why I didn't get redness on my forehead, chin, and neck cause I also swiped there everyday too when I used the make-up for months. This is why I'm not entirely sure if it's the culprit. Especially since my scalp itches a lot from not too much dandruff according to my mother who inspected my scalp.

I'm trying to back-track now and remember that when I used the Duac gel, I got the discoloration about an hour after using because the skin appeared lighter in distinct places, then like a month later, the skin seemed noticeabley pinker around the light patches of skin and now they are very irritated and red in patches. The day I tried using Duac, I had been doing a lemon and sea salt scrub on my face for a few days and did one again that morning.....I wonder if the lemon and the Duac reacted together to form the lighter patches and maybe the scrub itself (perhaps the lemon) had damaged my skin around it....Oh and also, I remember when I was using bare minerals, I was washing my face with grandpa's oatmeal soap in the shower daily....and noticed my skin get dryer and dryer from using the soap too.

When I used hyrdrocortisone butyrate, it caused me to wake up the second day of usage, to a light spot on my right side of my face where the skin was pink. Don't know if it meant it was working but it freaked me out that it only worked on a certain area so I ran to the bathroom and scrubbed my face.

I'm almost thinking I should try the Duac again! :0 As you can see I'm pretty desperate....because my pink patches are so distinct looking and have a shape to them....they don't blend in very well especially because I have normal light skin between the patches on my cheeks. If I had mites, why would they only be on certain places on my face? I don't feel itching at night too much which I know is something I've heard when it comes to mites...

I'm using Locoid Lipocream (hydrocortisone butyrate) right now AGAIN very sparingly because I'm nervous. The last derm gave it to me along with Metrocream. I tried using Vitamin E oil at 32,000 iu from JASON and noticed some improvement in the skin quality of the patches a tiny bit and I only tried it out for 3-4 days. I just don't understand cause the skin feels different from my regular skin which is in between the patches. But yes, the oiliness of my skin is ridiculous. I have to blot too cause it's so much oil it's frightening, I mainly see the most oil when I wake up. And those divots you are talking about? I am getting so many of them- these indentations on my face. It sounds to me like the oil is coming from our skin trying to compensate for dry skin and lost oils......

Is your pink skin rough and dry? Is your whole face affected from bare minerals with pinkness?

Also, I'm nervous to try these mite remedies. I don't even know where to get them...
                            Last edited by birdsing; 24 August 2011, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tests View Post
                              did apple cider vinegar cause any permanent damage?

How long did you use it?

Also what type of acne did you have? was it scarring?
                              At the time I started using vinegar I didn't have acne at all because I had stopped using ANYTHING on my face except water, but before that I just had small bumps so not scarring acne. I have suffered with acne since I was a teen but since I have moved to a drier climate that seemed to help a lot ~ the apple cider vinegar didn't cause any permenant damage, I just noticed if i used it instead of the white vinegar I would get a bump or two..

Comment

Working...
                              X