Global AD

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting the Honey treatment with pics. Advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff View Post
    By the sound of your posts, it will work. You can stop worrying about using Lotrimin Ultra when you switch to Desonate gel. Within about a week, your SD should be history.
    If you have remaining active seb derm, the Desonate gel will simply mask those symptoms, not get rid of the rest of the seb derm. I'm not saying it will not be gone after you stop using the Desonate, but if it is totally eradicated, it is NOT because of the Desonate.

Comment

• Timmy hit 65% by day 3, compared to your 50%. You rinse yours off after an hour. Anyway, it will be interesting to follow the results of your variation.
      50% was just a guess. More specifically, the flaking on my cheeks and forehead have lessened quite a bit (60% - 75%?) and the itching in those spots is gone. My nose, which doesn't itch or flake much gets red and oily from the seb derm. That is still happening, but maybe a little less than before. That, I think, is where the seb derm is strongest and most resilient and will likely take more than a week to completely get rid of.

I would guess that my rinsing the medicine off doesn't lessen the effectiveness very much. Topicals meds don't need a long time to be absorbed (one wouldn't leave Born to Be Mild or another seb derm shampoo on longer than 10 minutes or so, right?) and since seb derm reacts to oil on the skin, leaving a greasy cream on could actually make it worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by shrimpy View Post
        If you have remaining active seb derm, the Desonate gel will simply mask those symptoms, not get rid of the rest of the seb derm. I'm not saying it will not be gone after you stop using the Desonate, but if it is totally eradicated, it is NOT because of the Desonate.
        On this, I will disagree in part. Having been personally through the experience, it was my perception that the butenafine did not clear my SD 100%. It cleared it about 95%, and I had to finish it off with Desonate.

My belief in this regard, which is based on many articles stating this, is that malasezzia is commonly present on the skin. It is stated that the skin has a natural resistance to it, but that in cases of people with SD, the resistance has seemingly broken down.

So, I think, based on this and my experience, the Desonate helps the skin re-build itself, including its resistance, thus, finally eradicating the problem.

If, however, you have a bad problem (say at 100%, 70% or 40%), I would doubt the efficacy of steroids at that point, and I would tend to agree with your observation that they will not be as effective as one would hope.

Comment

50% was just a guess. More specifically, the flaking on my cheeks and forehead have lessened quite a bit (60% - 75%?) and the itching in those spots is gone. My nose, which doesn't itch or flake much gets red and oily from the seb derm. That is still happening, but maybe a little less than before. That, I think, is where the seb derm is strongest and most resilient and will likely take more than a week to completely get rid of.

I would guess that my rinsing the medicine off doesn't lessen the effectiveness very much. Topicals meds don't need a long time to be absorbed (one wouldn't leave Born to Be Mild or another seb derm shampoo on longer than 10 minutes or so, right?) and since seb derm reacts to oil on the skin, leaving a greasy cream on could actually make it worse.
          You are now on Day 4, Shrimpy. Did you not see a noticeable improvement from Day 3?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff View Post

My belief in this regard, which is based on many articles stating this, is that malasezzia is commonly present on the skin. It is stated that the skin has a natural resistance to it, but that in cases of people with SD, the resistance has seemingly broken down.

So, I think, based on this and my experience, the Desonate helps the skin re-build itself, including its resistance, thus, finally eradicating the problem.
            This.

I'm starting to explore this, thanks Jeff. Wouldn't say eradicate the problem 100% but help.

Comment

• So, I think, based on this and my experience, the Desonate helps the skin re-build itself, including its resistance, thus, finally eradicating the problem.
              That makes sense. By reducing the inflammation and irritation, you give the skin a chance to heal further to the point that it can effectively resist the fungi on it's own.

Comment

• You are now on Day 4, Shrimpy. Did you not see a noticeable improvement from Day 3?
                Some more improvement from day 3 for sure. Noticeable but not significant. I am hesitant to get my hopes up because this is approximately the same improvement I saw with the ketoconazole cream before it stopped being effective. We'll see and I'll keep posting as the days go by. If I can get to about 80-85% improvement before developing resistance to the Lotrimin, I'll be happy and then I'll switch back to Ketoconazole for a week and see if it improves more. I'm certainly willing to use the Lotrimin for up to 2 weeks if it keeps helping.

Comment

Some more improvement from day 3 for sure. Noticeable but not significant. I am hesitant to get my hopes up because this is approximately the same improvement I saw with the ketoconazole cream before it stopped being effective. We'll see and I'll keep posting as the days go by. If I can get to about 80-85% improvement before developing resistance to the Lotrimin, I'll be happy and then I'll switch back to Ketoconazole for a week and see if it improves more. I'm certainly willing to use the Lotrimin for up to 2 weeks if it keeps helping.
                  It doesn't sound as if the results you are experiencing are as quick and effective as Timmy's, Steve's or mine. Still, you are getting some decent relief, it seems.

Keep this in mind if it turns out the butenafine is not your ticket.... There are different species of fungi, and they react, or fail to react, differently among different anti-fungals. You've tried ketoconazole to no avail, so maybe what you should do, in the event the butenafine does not give you the degree of success hoped for, is switch to various other brands (active ingredients) to see if you can find the one that does the job.

Here is a link to the different types available: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifungal_drug

I'd try among the different classes (allylamines, azoles, polyenes, etc.), before switching to others within the same class. No real reason.... just a guess.

Comment

• day 7

holding strong at 95%. I am also shampooing with head and shoulders on my face ears and scalp. I figure I can attack it from 2 angles.

The dermatologist didn't prescribe me desonide. She was like, I don't even see anything on your face. I told her about lotrimin ultra and she said she never heard about that being used for SD. She said that SD is a chronic problem and to be prepared to deal with it for life. I told her I read blogs that said people have cured it. She said good for them and to keep doing what I am doing. It's basically like we know more than her about SD. I guess this makes sense considering they probably don't include a 3 month 40 hour a week class on SD, which is about the amount of research I have wasted in this disease.

Anyway I am on day seven and the improvement is at 95%. I am reluctant to use the steroid. I might take the plunge if something changes. I think I will use the lotrimin ultra for a couple more days and see how it goes.

The only topical steroid I have is triamcinilone which apparantly is a "true mid range" steriod. The derm said the desonide is slightly weaker. I don't really want to go to strong on my face. I am just going to play it out and see what happens?

Jeff a few questions:
                    1) I think you said day 7 the lotrimin ultra started to loose it efffectiveness. Did you stop at that point?

2) What did you switch to?

3) When did you go back to lotrimin ultra?

4) Wondering why lotrimin ultra would stop working and then start working again at a later date?

Thanks a lot!

Comment

• Originally posted by Timmyb View Post
                      holding strong at 95%.

Jeff a few questions:

1) I think you said day 7 the lotrimin ultra started to loose it efffectiveness. Did you stop at that point?

4) Wondering why lotrimin ultra would stop working and then start working again at a later date?

Thanks a lot!

Yes. It became pointless. However, Steve did not stop, and he said that after a few more days, it began to work again. So, I don't know.....

The first time, nothing. Then, I went to derm and was prescribed ketoconazole, which failed. Within a few days, I began the butenafine, again, and as predicted, it's efficacy waned again. That's when I switched to Desonate, since the derm gave me Desonate samples, along with the Rx for ketoconazole.

See above.

Don't really know. The only thing I could think of is, as one person surmised in my thread, the butenafine might be killing off "good" fungus, too. The skin is full of fungus and bacteria, some species which counteract, and feed on, other species. That's an interesting theory, but I really have not cared to delve into it any further since I am, for all intents, cured and have been for many months.

Try the steroid you have. That's what I'd do if I was in your position. Steroids have a proper purpose, and IMO, there is no need to shy away from a proper use for a limited duration.

What seems to be clear is that the butenafine will lose its efficacy. It happened to me, and then, Steve's posts showed the same for him. The pattern seems to be clear, at least to me, even if it is only 2 people's reports. After all, it was 2 out of 2 reporting the same experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by Timmyb View Post
                        I told her about lotrimin ultra and she said she never heard about that being used for SD. She said that SD is a chronic problem and to be prepared to deal with it for life. I told her I read blogs that said people have cured it. She said good for them and to keep doing what I am doing. It's basically like we know more than her about SD. I guess this makes sense considering they probably don't include a 3 month 40 hour a week class on SD, which is about the amount of research I have wasted in this disease.
                        Go figure! But I bet she knows all the ins and outs when it comes to giving you "anti-wrinkle" cream and botox. The money is not in helping the suffering, and researching and learning. In the derm's world, the money is in vanity (and I don't mean "vanity" in the bad sense).

Comment

• Hi, i'm in the UK and and really interested in trying your method Jeff after trying everything else (apart from honey) but i cant seem to find the lotrimin ultra here or even a similar cream with the same active ingredient. Can you help any with this?

many thanks!

Comment

• I'm not sure, but I think I recall that butenafine is the active ingredient in Mentax, which is available by prescription in Britain.

Comment

• day 8

still 95%

Comment

• Day 6: 75%

Flakiness is about 80% gone, itchiness is 80% gone, redness and oil production have improved maybe 40-50%.

Comment

Working...
                                X