Seb derm help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seb derm help!!!

Hi guys. Let me just start by saying that there are so many strong people on these forums who are coping with their conditions alot better than I am, and I admire them for that.

I've just been diagnosed with seb derm of the face. It's been happening on and off for a couple of years now, but hydrocortisone has usually done the trick. However, about 5 months ago I broke out in this rash on either side of my nose, fanning out to the upper cheeks. It was rough and red, and I immediately went for the steroid cream. At this point I was using a low potency steroid, so it was alright for the face. The roughness of the skin patches subsided, but the redness didn't. I was like this for months, and have been sent to see a derm who said that it looked like a case of perioral dermatitis on it's way out - cease using steroids. So I did, and a week later some of the redness had gone. A step in the right direction? Well, for a moment.

I then experienced another flare in my moustache, eyebrows and beard (on the cheeks and chin). I went back to the derm who confirmed that I did indeed have what I suspected: SEB DERM. I felt confident when he explained some treatments and said let's start you on hydrozole. This caused the flare to intensify in redness in a way normal corticosteroids never has. I am currently living with a red rough mess on my nose and cheeks.

I need help. I am going to try nizoral cream today and use a short blast of steroid cream also for a couple of days to see the results. Hydrozole (1% hydrocortisone with an antifungal) just hasn't worked well for my skin. I am really struggling emotionally and mentally. I'm a male in my early 20s, and I just want to feel normal and look my best for my gf. I feel embarrassed and ashamed, and feel depressed alot to the point where I feel nauseous.

Any advice for the redness and inflammation would be great. I'm really struggling here and need a solution to the one thing holding me back in life.

Thanks

Hi IH8 ,

Please stop using steroid creams on your face. They'll ruin your skin and won't help your seb derm at all.

Hopefully, the Nizoral will help. Let us know.

Do you have dandruff as well?
    I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Comment

Originally posted by Auburn-NH View Post
      Hi IH8 ,

Please stop using steroid creams on your face. They'll ruin your skin and won't help your seb derm at all.

Hopefully, the Nizoral will help. Let us know.

Do you have dandruff as well?
      I don't have dandruff, but I would if I didn't use head and shoulders. It's just so hard to stop this uncontrollable flare, and steroids are the only thing that has worked in the past. I honestly feel like a freak and can't handle this at all. I applied nizoral a couple of hrs ago. What do you do if you have a bad flare?

Thanks

Comment

I have some rozex (0.75 metronidazole). Can I use this as well as the nizoral? My problem at the moment is intense red blotches either side of my nose/cheeks and I need to relieve it asap

Comment

Im in a bit of a rush, the daily grind is approaching, i'll leave a more helpful message later. But for the next few days stick with the nizoral. I usually rub the lotion on my arm to build up a lather, kind of like a palette then gently rub the suds into my face. Leave on for a couple of minutes then wash off. Don't overdo it though, otherwise it'll dry your face out

Comment

Originally posted by dan pacifik View Post
            Im in a bit of a rush, the daily grind is approaching, i'll leave a more helpful message later. But for the next few days stick with the nizoral. I usually rub the lotion on my arm to build up a lather, kind of like a palette then gently rub the suds into my face. Leave on for a couple of minutes then wash off. Don't overdo it though, otherwise it'll dry your face out
            I'm using the nizoral 2% cream, not the shampoo. Will that take care of inflammation? Thanks for your help by the way

Comment

Originally posted by IH8_SD View Post
              I don't have dandruff, but I would if I didn't use head and shoulders.
              Then you do. The reason I asked is because if you have dandruff, you need to treat scalp, face and ears simultaneously, otherwise the yeast-like fungus that causes seb derm/dandruff cannot be controlled. If you don't have dandruff, then treating the face alone may be enough.

It's just so hard to stop this uncontrollable flare, and steroids are the only thing that has worked in the past.
              I know. Steroids seem to work at first but, unfortunately, with long term use (as in your case) they seriously weaken the skin which compromises the skin barrier and this is why your seb derm has worsen.

I honestly feel like a freak and can't handle this at all.
              First and foremost, you need to r-e-l-a-x. Seb derm is much easier to treat than rosacea but you need to understand that it will take a few weeks for your face to look normal again. You can't "fix" this in a couple of days but if you start doing things right, within a week you'll start seeing results.

I applied nizoral a couple of hrs ago.
              How did your skin react?

What do you do if you have a bad flare?
              In my case, none of the usual seb derm topicals worked - some irritated my skin, others simply made no difference.

However, seb derm had made my skin very dry, especially my cheeks, so I started a cleansing/moisturizing routine and that alone helped a lot with the redness. I used Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser and tried a number of different moisturizers (jojoba oil, Vanicream, Aveeno Ultracalming Lotion) but the only ones that worked -and I still use- were CeraVe (Walgreens and CVS) and SkinMilk (found in supermarkets). Cleansing/moisturizing, in the morning and evening, hydrated my skin which within a week started to feel supple and looked not as red.

For the seb derm I decided to try a natural treatment which turned out to be very effective (my seb derm is dormant now ) but it takes a whole month of every other day applications and then you have to do maintenance treatments once a week. If interested, you can read more about it here.
              I've treated seb derm successfully with raw honey and virgin coconut oil and have been symptom-free since June '09. Follow this ---> link <--- for details.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I will get off the steroids asap.

Didn't really notice a difference when nizoral cream was applied. I will continue.

I will try to relax. It's just so distressing. I am on the verge of asking my gf to marry me, but am terrified that if I can't control this beast then I will look terrible for our wedding day. A whole lot of what if's, but relevant nonetheless.

I will look for some of those products that you mentioned for moisturising. I tend to wash with cetaphil gsc, and use their moisturising lotion but will look into those that you mentioned (I live in Australia).

Again I thank you and admire people as level headed and strong as yourself, willing to help us who aren't coping as well.

Comment

Didn't really notice a difference when nizoral cream was applied. I will continue.
                  It might take a few days for you to see a difference. If it doesn't irritate your skin, give it a week or so. Please throw that steroid cream away, the longer you keep using it, the worse your seb derm will get.You are already seeing that it's not helping like it used to. Sadly, what you are not seeing is how it's weakening your skin, but it certainly is.

I am on the verge of asking my gf to marry me, but am terrified that if I can't control this beast then I will look terrible for our wedding day. A whole lot of what if's, but relevant nonetheless.
                  What do you think would happen if you talked to your girlfriend about this? Do you think she would tell you "Now way I'll marry you unless you get rid of that seb derm on your face!"? I don't think so. She's the woman who loves you, your best friend. Discuss this skin condition you have with her, tell her how much this stresses you. And you haven't even proposed yet so your wedding day is, at least, months away. Read the links I shared. I was able to control seb derm in a month, you will too.

I will look for some of those products that you mentioned for moisturising. I tend to wash with cetaphil gsc, and use their moisturising lotion but will look into those that you mentioned (I live in Australia).
                  Well, I don't think the moisturizers I use are available in Australia but a basic cream containing ceramides and or hyaluronic acid will help. I wish I knew more about moisturizers but I'm sure you'll find lots of info if you search the forum.

Comment

Hi -

If for some reason the nizoral cream proves to be too emollient and not helping, ask your Derm. for Extina topical. It's 2% Nizoral in a mouse/foam base and absorbs quickly and nicely. I found that lotion based topicals only add to the greasiness and don't help the problem. I had Nizoral lotion and it was awful. Extina is great! I have seb. derm. on my forehead a little bit and this has helped a lot. I also put extina on my outer ears a few times a week - makes them nice and soft and clean.

Good luck.
                    Yvette

Comment

I'm not worried that she'll say no cos of my SD, but I just worry that I will not be able to control it come that big day, and the wedding will be between a beautiful girl and a crusty, red ogre. You are right though, I need to stop worrying and get it under control, and part of this process would be talking it out with my gf.

The nizoral cream seems to be resolving the problem a little already (I hope), but did anyone notice that it tends to cause a bit more flaking? It's just an early observation that could be pure coincidence. If it tends to cause excess flaking, can I apply a light moisturiser? Or will this simply feed the beast?

Thanks so much for everyones input! You are truly helpful!

Comment

I just worry that I will not be able to control it come that big day, and the wedding will be between a beautiful girl and a crusty, red ogre.
                        The wedding will be between a beautiful girl and a handsome young man because you'll be able to control your seb derm. You'll see.

The nizoral cream seems to be resolving the problem a little already (I hope)
                        Well, that's good news. Let's hope it continues to do so. I've never used Nizoral cream so I don't know if it causes increased flaking but, if you happen to have a health food shop nearby, get a jar of raw extra virgin coconut oil. It will dissolve thin flakes on contact. Apply once or twice daily, as you would a moisturizer but rather thinly to avoid saturating the skin. The coconut oil will not feed the beast, it will help kill it because it has antifungal & antiinflammatory properties and it won't make your skin shiny.

Hang in there.

Comment

just an update. About 4 days of nizoral 2% cream worked brilliantly. However over the next week, it became to greasy for my skin and caused redness. Flaking seems to be gone.

So currently I'm just struggling to budge the red greasy patches either side of my nose, and we have had some extremely hot weather this week which has made the redness intensify. Today I have purchased some nizoral 1% shampoo and will begin using it on the patches. This is so frustrating, but I will keep up the fight and see if it works. How often should I use nizoral shampoo on my face? Does anyone elses seb derm go crazy in hot weather?

Comment

Working...
                          X