No announcement yet.

My flushing is almost cured-Mepacrine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not sure there is much info out there about mepacrine.

This leaflet is by the British Association of Dermatologists:

http://www.bad.org.uk/Portals/_Bad/P...%20version.pdf

in case that doesnt work:

http://www.bad.org.uk/site/843/Default.aspx

I have been taking it and found it great for flushing but for me the side effects are too strong to ignore.

If you look at this thread you will see that I ask iDan about why the mepacrine might be helpful for rosaceans:

http://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_...=17085&page=14

Comment

Originally posted by phlika29 View Post
      I am not sure there is much info out there about mepacrine.

This leaflet is by the British Association of Dermatologists:

http://www.bad.org.uk/Portals/_Bad/P...%20version.pdf

in case that doesnt work:

http://www.bad.org.uk/site/843/Default.aspx

I have been taking it and found it great for flushing but for me the side effects are too strong to ignore.

If you look at this thread you will see that I ask iDan about why the mepacrine might be helpful for rosaceans:

http://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_...=17085&page=14
      what side effects did you get from it? ive experienced none so far

if ur talking about the yellowing of the skin..that does not really bother me,it would prolly help at the end of the day

but lamarr and me have not experienced yellowing of the skin ...
      Last edited by Halfpipe101; 8 June 2009, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Well yellowing of the skin was one side effect but it was the hair loss and the increased bruising that were my biggest worries. I turned fairly yellow, enough for people to comment, luckily the hair loss was mostly hidden but the bruising was very noticable.

Comment

Sarah, could it be dose related?
          I mean if you take a smaller dose (that would still be a helpful dose though) could the side effects go away?
          I agree the hair loss thing would be a deal breaker for me

Comment

Maybe, I did reduce the dose by half for about a week and still had problems with the bruising (dont think I had any more hair loss and I am sure that the yellow would have faded) but by then I had sort of become too worried to be comfortable taking it. What I could never work out was whether the sudden increase in dilated veins (not just on my face) was just a coincidence. it probably was

Comment

Sarah, that is pretty unusual.... If you definently had hairloss and bruising due to the drug that is a strange reaction.... TE (telogen effluvium) is a form of hairloss where a drug or traumatic event can cause the hairs to shed prematurely, but you would of been losing globs of hair and it would of lasted for months....

Diffuse Alopecia areata is another possibility and this can start quite abruptly, if your hairloss started within a month of taking mepacrin and the same for the bruising then i would guess it was altering your blood counts in some way, maybe lowering white blood cells etc Did you have any blood tests?

Try taking a b vitamin complex next time you try mepacrin... i can explain why in a PM if you wish!!

Comment

Also...i have lowered my dose for the past month to 50mg per day and the flushing is still long gone and i have no signs of anything returning.... As a side note, the mepacrin and all other anti milarials allow you to get an AMAZING tan. They prevent you from burning and simply allow you to tan so easily. My mum is actually on an anti milarial for reactive arthritis (on my recommendation) and it is working better than sulfazaline, steroids and it (touch wood) looks like she will be able to avoid methotrexate.
                Last edited by lamarr; 8 June 2009, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Hi lamarr

I would agree that the affect of the drug is pretty impressive. Whilst i was on the medication I didnt flush and since coming off it my flushing has remained much improved. I would love to still be on it but the hair loss and the bruising started up fairly quickly. The hair loss was at both sides of my forehead and general thining. I havent given up with the drug completly, my plan is to speak to Dr Chu about it next month when I return to see him.

I am interested in the vitamin b association and will PM you

Comment

Hi lamarr

I would agree that the affect of the drug is pretty impressive. Whilst i was on the medication I didnt flush and since coming off it my flushing has remained much improved. I would love to still be on it but the hair loss and the bruising started up fairly quickly. The hair loss was at both sides of my forehead and general thining. I havent given up with the drug completly, my plan is to speak to Dr Chu about it next month when I return to see him.

I am interested in the vitamin b association and will PM you
                    bruising where? on your face?

Comment

No not on face. The bruises appeared where ever there was slight pressure-so for example I would get lots of tiny bruises across my chest where my seatbelt laid, etc. Someone suggested it might be this:
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petechial

i wouldnt like to say that this was 100% connected to the mepacrine but there appeared to be a link. Dont forget I also turned quite yellow so perhaps my body reacted differently to how others do. I would still recommend that people consider this medication.

Comment

No not on face. The bruises appeared where ever there was slight pressure-so for example I would get lots of tiny bruises across my chest where my seatbelt laid, etc. Someone suggested it might be this:
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petechial

i wouldnt like to say that this was 100% connected to the mepacrine but there appeared to be a link. Dont forget I also turned quite yellow so perhaps my body reacted differently to how others do. I would still recommend that people consider this medication.
                        I dunno man..it takes a while to get in your system,how long were you on it?

And how old are you? theres waiters at my job who are 26 balding like crazy already..

And the yellowing of the skin..i dont know how people would really notice,if anything it will look like a light tan

atleast it wont be a red/blotchy mess..

Comment

Halfpipe
                          Phlika is a girl and definitely not old enough for thinning hair

Comment

lamarr,

you mentioned other anti-milarials, if I cannot get mepacrine what other anti-milarials are there that would work in a similar way for rosacea? did your doctor say? would dapsone be one? wondering...flushing being long gone sounds like a god send.

Comment

Antimilarials from wiki,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimalarials

Quinine and related agents
                              Chloroquine
                              Amodiaquine
                              Pyrimethamine
                              Sulphadoxine
                              Proguanil
                              Mefloquine
                              Atovaquone
                              Primaquine
                              Artemesinin and derivatives
                              Halofantrine
                              Doxycycline
                              Clindamycin

They also list Dapsone under chemoprophylactic regimens.

Comment

Originally posted by RedFaced View Post
                                Antimilarials from wiki,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimalarials

Quinine and related agents
                                Chloroquine
                                Amodiaquine
                                Pyrimethamine
                                Sulphadoxine
                                Proguanil
                                Mefloquine
                                Atovaquone
                                Primaquine
                                Artemesinin and derivatives
                                Halofantrine
                                Doxycycline
                                Clindamycin

They also list Dapsone under chemoprophylactic regimens.
                                your from canada and the main anti in canada is plaquenil,i actually tried it for 2 weeks but my doctor would not re-fill it,plaquenil can cause eye problems,among other things,I would not take plaquenil for flushing really,long term.

Plaquenil takes 3-6 months to kick in anyways,while mepacrine takes about a month to start seeing results.

if he was 110% against plaquenil and he prescribed me quinacrine (thats not even licensed in canada) then that says something

he looked it up in his office laptop and that changed his mind..aka no eye problems

thats the biggest thing he was worried about

A acne.org member from canada actually took plaquenil (its the the main one in canada,so his doctor prescribed it)..he had to stop because he noticed eye side effects

i would never take plaquenil

i would not rush in a situation taking any other anti without doing heavy research so your very comfortable,mepacrine sounded too good to be true to me (how it has no eye problems and from lupus patients they said its very safe compared to these other harsh ones)
                                Last edited by Halfpipe101; 9 June 2009, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X