No announcement yet.

Singulair is amazing..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would give it two months too, it's really common for medications to take time, even antihistamines or NSAIDs take over a month of constantly taking them to see the full effect . Mainly because once inflammatory processes are triggered in the body they gather momentum and keep going for a while even if the orginal susbstance that caused it like, histamine or leukotrienes are blocked.

Thanks again for posting on this Chris. 16 days in and my asthma has almost totally gone, which is just brilliant! And given that my asthma started at the same time as my body flushing I think there's a good chance that leukotrienes are involved in both. My flushing has been better in the last week too, My facial flushing is still about the same but I've now gone a whole week without my knees flushing and swelling which is unheard of for me!

Obviously it would be fantastic if it stopped by flushing all together, but i'd be happy even if it just reduced it a bit, so so far things are looking good!

Comment

That's fantastic Kate!!!

First good news all day!!!!

Comment

Froggirl,
        this is great. So even if you don’t have results in facial flushing yet Singulair has already helped you in other ways. I keep my fingers crossed that it will help your facial flushing too!

I’m 3 weeks on Singulair now. Still no results for flushing. I really hope I will see some first results in the next 2 weeks. After stopping my antidepressant some time ago my flushing slowly has come back to the same distressing strength than before taking the antidepressant, so I’m so desperately hoping that Singulair will help! The last 2 weeks I had some minor belly ache. Could be from Singulair as it is listed as one of the mosst possible side effects. But it is only minor, so no reason to stop taking it.

Take care all,
        Barbara

Comment

Been on Singulair for 5 weeks and have no improvements in
          any rosacea or flushing symptoms.
          Actually I dont notice it doing anthing at all so far.

Comment

Re: Singulair is amazing..

Originally posted by YankeesRtheBest
            I have been on singulair for about 2 months now and it has been excellent at keeping my Rosacea under control. My flushing has been non-existent. Even the terrible night flushes and exercise-induced flushing has subsided. I started singulair because I tested positive for allergies (tree pollen, dust mites) I started getting allergy shots and my allergist also prescribed me the Singulair. What is even more amazing is that my broken blood vessels are much less noticeable than they were and my chronic redness is at least 50 percent better. I strongly recommend this, however I'm not sure how you can get it prescribed for you if you don't have allergies or asthma. he only thing that hasn't been helped much is my ocular rosacea. Hope this info helps. -Chris
            YankeesRtheBest, yes, that info helps! Thanks for the post.

After I read your post, I did a little reading on the 'net and started this a few weeks ago. I suffer from constant flushing. While the RLT stops the flushing from creating any damage, has healed the damage it had caused, and dramatically shortens the duration of a flush, it does not treat the cause -- it treats the effects of my main symptom only.

Within days of starting Singulaire my face was cooler, and now I flush much less. My face is almost always cool to the touch. My triggers are mostly allergy related and the Singulaire has worked great. I take it with a reactine and a zantac in the morning.

Happiness is a choice.

Comment

I wonder then if it works best taken with antihistamines?

Because as far i as know leukotrienes are unlikely to be released in the body on their own but in tandem with histamine (and the other mast cell contents), meaning that if you take just singulair the histamine may still effects the blood vessels anyway..

Similair to how H1 antihistamine didn't make much of difference to my flushing but taking a combination of H1 and H2 did.

I've been on sigulair over a month now and my facial flushing is improved, not gone by any means but it is noticeably better and i'm hopeful them it might improve even more over the next month.

Comment

Hi Kate,

I'm taking singulair with chlortrimetron. I wonder if that's why my derm recommended that combination i.e. antishistamine and singulair?

Melissa

Comment

Melissa,

I bet that is why and if it works could you let me know? I am taking zantac and zyrtec and it works good for me but could be better, so I am going to see if I can take singulair with my zantac and zyrtec..Thanks..jenn
                  Please hurry Sansrosa!!!

Comment

no noticeable results for me after 3 weeks on singulair...

Comment

Originally posted by Froggirl
                      I wonder then if it works best taken with antihistamines?

Because as far i as know leukotrienes are unlikely to be released in the body on their own but in tandem with histamine (and the other mast cell contents), meaning that if you take just singulair the histamine may still effects the blood vessels anyway..

Similair to how H1 antihistamine didn't make much of difference to my flushing but taking a combination of H1 and H2 did.
                      I think taking it with H1 & H2 blockers has made the difference for me. Here are two small points re leukotrienes.

Wikipedia:

Their production by the body is part of a complex response that usually includes the production of histamine.

Leukotrienes are involved in asthmatic and allergic reactions and act to sustain inflammatory reactions.

--

Perhaps the folks not seeing an improvement after a month or so would be game to add an H1 & H2 blocker to their regime?

Happiness is a choice.

Comment

I'm IN!!!!!! what are H1 & H2 blockers?

Im in! got my script this morning!

I am very excited! Of course, things that work for EVEVERYONE else never work for me... but im hopeful!

what are h1 & h2 bockers? I have bad antihisitime levels. My skin feels like its crawling all the time and i get very bad hives.

I have heard singular gets rid of hives too!

sitting back and waiting for super results....

Comment

H1 are allergy pills, antihistamines. H2 are gastric meds, like zantac. I also get very bad hives and when I was getting hives I would get the burning sensation on my face. Doctors were telling me the burning sensation was from allergies but really it was rosacea. My Dr. could not get rid of my hives with zyrtec alone so he gave me zantac and that helped and it helped the burning on face. This was 7 years ago, so when I just got dx with rosacea I remembered that these meds helped so I started them again. They do not help as much as they use to with the burning but does help quite a bit, so I am hoping to add singulair and think it will do the trick for me. Although I am thinking about getting pregnant so I will not be able to take any meds so I am a little scared about that....Jenn
                          Please hurry Sansrosa!!!

Comment

H1 blockers, generally speaking, are antihistamines that work on the 'body'. Look for brands like:

* Reactine, Aerius, Zyrtec, Claratin, Allegra, etc.

H2 blockers, generally speaking, are anithistamines that work in the 'gut'. Look for brands like:

* Pepcid, Zantac, Tagamet, etc.

Studies show that the combination of H1 + H2 blockers can be more effective in some cases than taking an H1 blocker alone, and is effective in some cases when H1 alone is ineffective.

I have found the combination works very well and is much more effective than taking either alone.

Happiness is a choice.

Comment

thanks jennfran & Twickle

Do you take the regular dosage of H1 & h2's as directed on the packages? Should i start with just the singular and THEN add the H1 & h2's?

any thoughts? thanks so much
                              liz

Comment

I take as directed, only once a day. I take mine in the morning. Folks with asthma sometimes take Singulair before bed because their air passages can be most problematic upon waking.

If you want to start with Singulair only first go for it, it may work fine on its own for you. If not, then add in the other 2 to see if that makes the difference.

Good luck!

Happiness is a choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X