Oracea Updates Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracea Updates Anyone?

I read through some threads and didn't see anything recent. Does anyone have updates how they are doing on Oracea? I got a script today and want to know how it's doing for others before I pick that expensive script up. My derm gave me enough samples for 2 weeks, but I would like to know if anyone here is convinced this new drug is worth the money. Thanks, Roxanne

There were a few people here taking it, might be working so good that they don't come visit the board any more? - We can only hope.

Comment

I'm new to the forum, I've been learning alot. I just a got a script and I'm hoping my insurance will pay for at least some of the cost! I've had some luck with Metro 1%, I'm in a tentetive healing period right now. I'll keep you posted if the Oracea helps.

Comment

Ive been on oracea maybe 4 months now. I like it. Its not a cure or a wonder drug. But it certainly has helped me and has no negative effects on my stomach unlike the doxy I was trying out. I can take oracea on an empty stomach and it is not a problem. I just started getting the RX by mail order. Its $32 for 90 pills..not bad. I was paying 32 for 30 pills. I think it helps keep my face clear of papules and helps out a little with redness.

Im content right now thats why I do not post as much as I used to. I just want to minimize rosacea and control it...I know I cant make it dissapear. I got tired of trying different things and stressing over it. I just dont have the will or disclipine to try to put it in remission. I use rosacea care cleanser, sunblock and facial gel, the oracea, and an occasional laser treatment. And I use cotz sunscreen when I know im gonna be in the sun.

Comment

Ken,
          What do you mean you get the Oracea by mail order? That's pretty cheap. I haven't filled the script yet, I'm still taking the office samples I got, so I don't know how my insurance will pay. The doctor gave me a $35 instant refund coupon to use from the manufacturer. I went online to the Oracea website and they let you sign up to get the same $35 coupon by mail. I'm doing good on it so far, no noticable side effects. I'm still flushing, but my hubby commented tonight that my skin looked smoother. And I have noticed less sensitivity, when I run my fingers over my cheek the skin feels almost normal. Wow! I'm sticking with it.

Comment

Hey. I feel the same way, it's not a miracle cure but it has definitely helped with inflammation and my skin looks much clearer even though it was not so bad before I started.

I always used to get some sort of stomache upset/yeast infection while on other antibiotics and this has not caused me any trouble at all. I think it's a good tool for the rocasea cabinet.

BTW, for you ladies out there, I asked my gyno about my BC pill being effected by the antibiotics and she said that is an old, old wives tale that is not true. If you're concerned about it though you could switch to the patch which is absorbed through the bloodstream and thus should not cause any problems.

Tricia

Comment

I have blue cross blue shield as my insurance company. They have mail order set up through Caremark.com I just found out about last week. Apparently when you order 90 you can get it alot cheaper. Its the same with noritate. I pay about 32 for one tube but if I can get 3 for that amount through caremark. Looks the the pharmacies are making a fortune on us! Thanks for the news about the rebate....I did not know about that.

Comment

I have BC/BS and I was denied coverage. Even with the $35 coupon it's too expensive for me. I'm out of samples, so I guess it's back to Metro1%.

Comment

Patty,
                  Did BC/BS give you a reason for not covering the medication? Did the they say it was "cosmetic"? Im so sick of reading about people, and my own self, not being able to get decent coverage for something that is NOT just cosmetic!!!! Let them have burning faces, p&ps so bad and painful you almost can't function. Go out of the house into the cold and come back in and have your face be beet red and painful for the next hout or so. Oh it's SO frustrating!!!!

Laura

Comment

I wasn't home to get the news in person, and when I called my derm back they were gone for the day. Believe me I will find out!! I have a feeling that she really didn't go to bat for me... I'm seeing a new derm in April. I've had to wait 6 months to see this guy. Good reputation with the whole group. I hope it makes a difference.

Comment

I have bc/bs as well and they covered it. I guess there are different plans out there. I just took the RX to the drugstore and they filled it. It was about 32 for 30 pills.

Comment

I'm sure mine is a "cheaper" policy. My husband is self employed, and we are a healthy bunch, never needed much in the way of meds. I'm sure the
                        reason is the cost. Generic doxy is cheap. I'm sure they would pay for Prozac if I decided to go off my rocker!! Oh, I'm sure thats generic now too!! [No offense]

Comment

Yippy! My insurance is going to cover my Oracea. I can't believe it. My copay is $45 less my $35 instant rebate from the manufacturer, net cost for one month $10. They wouldn't pay for this other name brand Doxy I had before so I didn't expect they would cover the Oracea. And last week they refused to pay for a new drug for my husband to quit smoking called Chantix. Oh yeah, guess they would rather pay for lung cancer than the $150 a month it costs to help him quit smoking. HUH? What is wrong with these stupid insurance companies? What a shock that they actually consider my Rosacea more important than lung cancer! The doctor gave me 3 rebates at the office and I went online and got another, so I'm covered for 4 months. I'm almost 2 weeks into my treatment and I'm doing good. I was really tested last night with a very emotional and stressful family event that would have caused me to wake this morning with a very red and inflamed face, but I woke looking pretty good. I am still flushing, but the outcome and length of the flush has been reduced.
                          And the most unexpected outcome has been that it completely cleared up my SD. Whoa! I'm happy. Will keep everyone posted on my progress.
                          Rox

Comment

Working...
                          X