Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stopping beta blockers. What's an alternative I can use 1-2 times a week instead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopping beta blockers. What's an alternative I can use 1-2 times a week instead?

I've been using propanolol the last 4 years, about 1-2 a week and sometimes much less. The only side-effect I had was that it occasionally made me gassy. This seems to have become increasingly worse.

My doctor prescribed atenolol a few months ago, which I tested methodically and monitored my diet and what I ate before consuming in hopes of finding a solution. Just eating rice/chicken seemed to work for a bit, although the effects of this faded and perhaps it was incidental.

Should I try another beta-blocker or switch to an entirely different medication? I assume the other obvious alternative is Clonidine? My only worry is that I don't want to take medication every day -- are there any reports of people doing this and not having rebound flushing?

I also worry that it won't help for anxiety / nervous-system related symptims. Thank you, I'm open to ideas or suggestions and would appreciate it since beta blockers have been my saving grace! Things have really taken a toll for the worst and the side effect of being gassy (although short-lived) massively outweighs the benefits, at least in many instances recently.
    Last edited by beherenow; 2 May 2021, 07:22 AM.

I take Carvedilol 12.5 mg twice a day for my heart condition along with Flecainide 50 mg twice a day. I rarely flush, no more than those without rosacea.

Since you mention having issues with gas, you may want to think about GUT Rosacea. You probably have been thinking about it anyway, and this post has a lot of information on this subject and what to do about it. As for "help for anxiety / nervous-system related symptims" have you read the article on Neurogenic Rosacea?
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 6 May 2021, 12:11 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Working...
    X