Cymbalta. Prescribed and scared.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cymbalta. Prescribed and scared.

I've been prescribed cymbalta by my GP two weeks ago but am too afraid to take it. I thought my rosacea had improved but now that the hot weather is back I realise that that is not true.

I don't know whether no rosacea is worth whatever the hell brain zaps are and permanently altering the chemistry of my brain though.

Anybody who can share their experiences?

Originally posted by Sineadrosy View Post
    I've been prescribed cymbalta by my GP two weeks ago but am too afraid to take it. I thought my rosacea had improved but now that the hot weather is back I realise that that is not true.

I don't know whether no rosacea is worth whatever the hell brain zaps are and permanently altering the chemistry of my brain though.

For me it just didn't really do anything. I was on it for a little over 3 months and then stopped. I had no side effects and no issues when I stopped it though, which was good.

Comment

Rubydo1 started a thread about this (duloxetine).

y-gwair starts a thread "hoping to try SNRI Cymbalta."
      Brady Barrows
      Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Don?t be afraid. It works great. I took 30 mg daily for over a year. I decided to come off recently as I felt my tummy was getting a bit sore so I decided to take a break from it ( switched back to amitriptyline). When I was weaning off, I went to 30mg every 2nd day the first week, then to every 3rd day the following week and just kept spacing it out by a day each week. I had a little dizziness but very manageable. I will definitely go back onto it after a break from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Momof View Post
          Don?t be afraid. It works great. I took 30 mg daily for over a year. I decided to come off recently as I felt my tummy was getting a bit sore so I decided to take a break from it ( switched back to amitriptyline). When I was weaning off, I went to 30mg every 2nd day the first week, then to every 3rd day the following week and just kept spacing it out by a day each week. I had a little dizziness but very manageable. I will definitely go back onto it after a break from it.
          How was amitriptyline? Not as effective? Oh I just read so many horror stories about duloxetine, the thought of "brain zaps" is really freaking out!

Ps. Nice to see you again 😄

Comment

I like it. It helps me so much and I'll happily be on it for life. Just start slow. I've weaned off a couple times and it went ok as long as it was a slow taper - especially when you get near 0. I think if you're on it for not a long time, the weaning is easier. The jump from 20 mg to 0 is the hardest and at that point I split capsules for slower taper

I think you'll get brain zaps with any SSRI / SNRI (during the weaning off part). There are other antidepressants that worked as well for me as cymbalta, btw.

Comment

Don't be scared about the horror stories. I think if you look up any drug online you'll find negative reviews. People just don't post positive experiences as much.

I think you have to weigh up how bad your rosacea is and if it's bad enough that it's impacting on your life, you can't go out, be social, work, you're in pain etc then what have you got to lose to go for it.

I've just started taking duloxetine only at 20mg a day and already it's cut out my evening flushing (which was happening every night on my cheek and nose for 3 hours a night). It's as if it's switched off a switch.

I don't know if this will last so time will tell but I'm very happy for the relief. I will be slowly titrating the dose up to 60mg a day. Think I'll take 30mg morning and 30mg in the evening eventually as it has a 12 hour half life so that gives me a more even dose.

It gave me nausea for the first week which was unpleasant but not intolerable. I find it gives me energy so I take it in the morning.

Honestly I was freaked out too by all the horror stories online and withdrawal issues and I put off taking this drug for 6 months. But that was a mistake. The alternative for me was being stuck at home flushing and in pain. This is one step towards being able to hopefully get on with my life. And if it doesn't work out that's also useful information that will help figure out what drugs or treatments that may work for you. You will only know by trying.
              Last edited by owldog; 21 March 2021, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_cat View Post
                I like it. It helps me so much and I'll happily be on it for life. Just start slow. I've weaned off a couple times and it went ok as long as it was a slow taper - especially when you get near 0. I think if you're on it for not a long time, the weaning is easier. The jump from 20 mg to 0 is the hardest and at that point I split capsules for slower taper

I think you'll get brain zaps with any SSRI / SNRI (during the weaning off part). There are other antidepressants that worked as well for me as cymbalta, btw.

What do brain zaps feel like? That honestly terrifies me, altering my brain

Can I ask which others worked?

Comment

What do brain zaps feel like? That honestly terrifies me, altering my brain

Can I ask which others worked?
                  brain zaps happen with any SNRI or SSRI as you taper off (can happen). Not a side effect as you go up or are on them. FOr me only an issue a month while I was down to 0 mg. It's like when you read across a page, maybe a sensation in your eyes like light sabers? honestly, not a big deal, and they will stop eventually, and as far as i know many ppl (incl. my doctor) experience them if they are tapering down.

other side effects - it might numb you out, lower your libido, cause nausea first week, increased sweating... help depression / anxiety if you have that

paxil, zoloft, effexor were similarly helpful for me.Paxil probably having the most side effects (sedative)

Comment

Originally posted by owldog View Post
                    Don't be scared about the horror stories. I think if you look up any drug online you'll find negative reviews. People just don't post positive experiences as much.

I think you have to weigh up how bad your rosacea is and if it's bad enough that it's impacting on your life, you can't go out, be social, work, you're in pain etc then what have you got to lose to go for it.

I've just started taking duloxetine only at 20mg a day and already it's cut out my evening flushing (which was happening every night on my cheek and nose for 3 hours a night). It's as if it's switched off a switch.

I don't know if this will last so time will tell but I'm very happy for the relief. I will be slowly titrating the dose up to 60mg a day. Think I'll take 30mg morning and 30mg in the evening eventually as it has a 12 hour half life so that gives me a more even dose.

It gave me nausea for the first week which was unpleasant but not intolerable. I find it gives me energy so I take it in the morning.

Honestly I was freaked out too by all the horror stories online and withdrawal issues and I put off taking this drug for 6 months. But that was a mistake. The alternative for me was being stuck at home flushing and in pain. This is one step towards being able to hopefully get on with my life. And if it doesn't work out that's also useful information that will help figure out what drugs or treatments that may work for you. You will only know by trying.
                    That's great. I hope it continues to work for you . And even better at the higher dose.

I got a blister from laser years ago and it is otherwise a very sensitive spot on my face. I feel like the cymbalta is sort of a "switch" on that, too. W/o cymbalta, it feels like it wants to blister up again, but on it, it's sort of like normal skin.

Just a word of caution i personally rebound from lowering cymbalta (or any antidepressant) in terms of face, but i tend to rebound from anything.

Comment

How was amitriptyline? Not as effective? Oh I just read so many horror stories about duloxetine, the thought of "brain zaps" is really freaking out!

Ps. Nice to see you again 😄
                      Hi Sineadrosy,
                      Thank you for the welcome! Duloxetine works far better for me than amitriptyline. I?m going back to Duloxetine tomorrow. My face has been sore since I switched to amitriptyline. I?ll happily stay on Duloxetine for the rest of my life if I need to. The brain zaps are fine-just wean off slowly if you need to discontinue it.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_cat View Post
                        That's great. I hope it continues to work for you . And even better at the higher dose.

I got a blister from laser years ago and it is otherwise a very sensitive spot on my face. I feel like the cymbalta is sort of a "switch" on that, too. W/o cymbalta, it feels like it wants to blister up again, but on it, it's sort of like normal skin.

Just a word of caution i personally rebound from lowering cymbalta (or any antidepressant) in terms of face, but i tend to rebound from anything.
                        Thanks, that's really interesting that it's helping normalise parts of your skin.

Unfortunately some of the flushing has crept back for me, I knew it was too good to be true! But it is not as bad as before. It doesn't hurt at all which is amazing. I didn't even notice I was flushing until I went to brush my teeth late at night. And it only lasts about 30mins on a small patch of my right cheek and if I walk around it seems to fade. Before both my entire cheeks would go purple and it would last for around 3-4 hours every evening.

Still annoying it's crept back though.

The nerve sensations on my face have been dialled down too. They were there all day and night, even when I wasn't flushing. It constantly felt like someone had punched me in the nose and cheeks and they were non stop throbbing. That's still happening but not as severe. I'm hoping it will be even less when I go up on the dose. Weirdly accutane is helping with those sensations as well.

One thing I have noticed Cymbalta really constricts some of the vessels. In the day I get moments when my face is really icy cold. especially my nose and cheeks. Not sure if that's good or bad. I worried at first thinking that was going to set me up for a bad rebound later on in the evening but that never happened luckily.

I actually like the feeling when I'm on it. It makes me energised in the day without being too wired. Once I got past the initial nausea in the first week it feels like I'm not even medicated. Just more alert and focused which I like.

Was wondering do you take 2 doses, one in the day and one in the evening?

I tried taking half the dose in the evening but it made me too awake and I couldn't sleep. But if I take it all in the day I feel it loses some of its effectiveness by the evening when I'm at my worst anyway.

I'm still only on 40mg a day and slowly titrating up to 60mg next week. I hope it continues to work at a higher dose. Doc wants me on 80mg a day for nerve pain.

Comment

Originally posted by owldog View Post
                          Thanks, that's really interesting that it's helping normalise parts of your skin.

Unfortunately some of the flushing has crept back for me, I knew it was too good to be true! But it is not as bad as before. It doesn't hurt at all which is amazing. I didn't even notice I was flushing until I went to brush my teeth late at night. And it only lasts about 30mins on a small patch of my right cheek and if I walk around it seems to fade. Before both my entire cheeks would go purple and it would last for around 3-4 hours every evening.

Still annoying it's crept back though.

The nerve sensations on my face have been dialled down too. They were there all day and night, even when I wasn't flushing. It constantly felt like someone had punched me in the nose and cheeks and they were non stop throbbing. That's still happening but not as severe. I'm hoping it will be even less when I go up on the dose. Weirdly accutane is helping with those sensations as well.

One thing I have noticed Cymbalta really constricts some of the vessels. In the day I get moments when my face is really icy cold. especially my nose and cheeks. Not sure if that's good or bad. I worried at first thinking that was going to set me up for a bad rebound later on in the evening but that never happened luckily.

I actually like the feeling when I'm on it. It makes me energised in the day without being too wired. Once I got past the initial nausea in the first week it feels like I'm not even medicated. Just more alert and focused which I like.

Was wondering do you take 2 doses, one in the day and one in the evening?

I tried taking half the dose in the evening but it made me too awake and I couldn't sleep. But if I take it all in the day I feel it loses some of its effectiveness by the evening when I'm at my worst anyway.

I'm still only on 40mg a day and slowly titrating up to 60mg next week. I hope it continues to work at a higher dose. Doc wants me on 80mg a day for nerve pain.
                          Did you have permanent redness that cymbalta got rid of or do you only flush?

Comment

Did you have permanent redness that cymbalta got rid of or do you only flush?
                            I have permanent redness on my cheeks as well as severe flushing at night. Cymbalta has helped with both.

The permanent redness is still there, and I doubt anything will remove that apart from lasers unfortunately. But the capillaries aren't as dilated and my skin is a lot more calm overall.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                            X