Stopped Accutane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopped Accutane

Well after about 9 months on 10mg/day I decided to drop the Accutane treatment because of a few things and these are:

- Nosebleeds happening at very unexpected times
    - Skin was extremely dry during the winter months
    - Skin texture on nose turned very rough and scaly
    - Redness did not reduce at all, mostly increased
    - Seb Derm of the scalp become much worse

I did change the frequency of the treatment but nothing really improved.
    The good thing is that Accutane stopped my strong oil and sebum production. I hope it lasts ...

Anyways, I am now doing the following:

- Using Sea Kelp, EGF & Niacinimide (skinactives.com) on my nose each night.
    - Using Vita Oil as a base on my cheeks and then the Sea Kelp mix over top so it doesn't dry it out too much.
    - Will add Licorice & Green Tea Extract to the mix very soon and test that out.
    - Sticking to a healthy diet & working out more
    - And of course applying Zinco each morning. Actually since my skin is much more soft, the Zinco blends in much better than before when I had rough dry skin.

Since changing my regimen I've noticed that I do not react to my normal triggers as much and my skin is super soft now since starting with the Sea Kelp. That stuff is amazing.

Regards,
    RHC
    Regards,
    RedHotCanuck
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3 IPL and tried Accutane. Accutane stopped the oil flow but caused other problems. Now just using a mix of Sea Kelp and EGF every night.

It's good to hear Accutane follow ups. Especially as I'm seriously considering it. Although I'm now worried about the SebDerm increase. I always thought low dose helped this? Glad your on a better course of treatment now though.

Good luck

James

Comment

I regret using accutane. I fel I could have used the time to work with the Lumenis One instead. It was not worth it in my mind.

Comment

Yeah, I'm really trying to weigh the two options up. Hopefully my derm appointment will come soon and I can talk it over with him/her.I know you have to wait 6-9 months after stopping Accutane before having laser treatment. What about the other way around? How long after laser treatment can you start Accutane?

Comment

I think you need to wait at least 2-3 months after laser/IPL as everything is still healing.
          Diane
          Vancouver Island, BC

Comment

I only took accutane for a little over a month (10mg/every other day) and my seb derm was the worst it's ever been while I was on it. Several derms said that it would only take a week or two for the accutane to get this under control (as it had for several on this site), but it exacerbated the symptoms to the extent where I couldn't even leave my house.

I'm amazed at the studies I've read saying that low dose accutane eliminates (sebum production) facial SD after a few week course, when my experience was the exact opposite.

On a positive note I did see a reduction in flushing.

Comment

Hey RHC

Congrats on dropping Accutane! Really glad to hear your skin is softer from the actives you are now using.

Can I ask what sort of things you are eating in your healthy diet?

Do you find that working out doesn't create a flushing episode now, if it did before? What sort of work out are you doing? Are you sweating from the face when exercising?

Lots of questions, I know!

Thanks

Jen
              Currently trying: Apr 06 Bee Wilder's Candida (natural healing) Diet; May 06 Home made red LED array; Aug 06 ZZ ointment.

Comment

The reason why everyones Seb Derm seems to get worse on the Accutane is because it's hard on your liver. If your doing a liver cleanse and using some Elidel on flair ups you should have no problem with the SD.

The whole diet issue regarding Rosacea should not matter at all. I'm vegetarian, there for eating many grains, sugars and all that other stuff that they tell you to stay away from. I don't see how it would make a differance for most people what they eat, especially for males.

Anyone who is reading this and is thinking going on accutane should not shy away from it, such a great product that helps all aspects of rosacea.

Comment

Can you elaborate more on the liver cleanse? What types of foods/drinks are good for this?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by cmburn22
                    Can you elaborate more on the liver cleanse? What types of foods/drinks are good for this?

Thanks!
                    I talked about it a few times before on here, it's simple and it works well. You take one table spoon of pure lemon juice a day, and mix it with 8oz glass of water. Or you can use fresh lemon juice from a whole lemon. If you buy it in a bottle make sure it is pure, not from concentrate, most good health food stores carry it. This is one thing your Derm will never tell you about or even know of, as they will always just give you cream or whatever. This is an old chinese trick that works wonders for seb derm, eczema and psoriasis. I think a lot of people who have rosacea including myself have trouble with Seb Derm from the combo of haviong oily skin to begin with and being on different meds for years on end. This makes it hard on our liver and it builds up all the bad stuff from taking all these meds. Try it out, and I bet you see some results in 2 or 3 weeks.

Comment

Thanks Canada! I must admit that I have tried this before and did see an improvement right away in the SD.

Comment

You also might want to consider adding 1/4 teaspoon of Celtic Sea Salt to the lemon/water drink for the minerals and to help hydration of the body and skin.

Jen
                        Currently trying: Apr 06 Bee Wilder's Candida (natural healing) Diet; May 06 Home made red LED array; Aug 06 ZZ ointment.

Comment

Originally posted by redhotoz
                          You also might want to consider adding 1/4 teaspoon of Celtic Sea Salt to the lemon/water drink for the minerals and to help hydration of the body and skin.

Jen
                          Jen, I hear you talk about taking this sea salt. Where can I buy this? and what kind/brand name is it? and how much is best to take?

Thanks,

Comment

Hi all.

Well its been about 3 weeks now after stopping Accutane and I'm doing ok. The seb derm on my scalp seems to be getting better now that accutane free & I'm adding Vita Oil to it each night. Vita Oil is made by Linda Sy at www.lindasy.com and is preventing my scalp from becoming too dry.

Regards,
                            RHC
                            Regards,
                            RedHotCanuck
                            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            3 IPL and tried Accutane. Accutane stopped the oil flow but caused other problems. Now just using a mix of Sea Kelp and EGF every night.

Comment

Yo Red Hot! what was the reason you started the accutane in the first place? and what results did you find on the 10mg's? well besides the bad stuff of course. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X