Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does prednisone work in an emergency?

Hello,

I am in my 30s, eczema all my life, and in the last couple years have developed rosacea, 3 out of the 4 subtypes: erythema, papules, and ocular. The redness and soreness on my face is the most bothersome, but more so, I also have eczema on my face so overall very dry, flakey, swollen, itchy, red, rough, flushed, papules... yay ;)

I understand that there has been success with prednisone clearing up papules, but has anyone had success with prednisone clearing up the red rough dry rash of rosacea overnight?

I have a business trip coming up in a couple days and it'd be extraordinarily helpful if I had clear face. I completely understand that there is likely a rebound effect, but am prepared to take that hit for the sake of this trip. I have a derm appt tomorrow and I think I'm going to get some prednisone if he allows it but not sure after reading through the forums if that's what I want. It has worked magic on my eczema before (short bursts, many years ago), but there seems to be contradicting results for rosacea on here.

Appreciate any responses!

topical prednisone is a low corticoid. It's not recommanded for rosacea. Few derm recommand to use a short run of corticoid to manage the rosacea (look at Bill Clinton thread for example; I have several link from French derm web site but it's not in english). The issue is the rebound and the dependency.
    I use low dose of corticoid when I get lesion and I want to reduce the inflammation to improve the heal. Only 1 or 2 days per month on few patches.

Comment

I have very similar symptoms as you, and my derm just prescribed 3 days of prednisone to calm things down. My skin has never been this bad. I haven't taken it yet because I'm nursing, and trying to avoid if.

So, I don't have personal experience yet, but it seems that it might help.

Comment

Part of why I haven't taken it, too, is because the threads I've read on here have worried me about just making things worse.

Comment

It is hard to say how people will be affected by prednisone because of everyone's body chemistry is different. Some people who do not have rosacea take prednisone and feel great on it and others are more sensitive. I was sensitive and did not develop rosacea until after I took two short courses. However, I cannot state for certain that the prednisone induced rosacea-- it could have been stress from illness. However, prednisone produces lots of heat in the body and rosacea is considered at problem of excess heat from the Chinese medicine and Ayurvedic medicine perspectives.

The biggest issue for someone breastfeeding to consider is how to take it while breastfeeding, if you decide to take it. The doctor has probably advised not to breastfeed for a certain amount of hours and possibly pump and toss the milk during that time. Here is some information from the web from one site on what is known about excretion of prednisone into breastmilk in case you have not already found this information. If either of you decide to take it, please let us know how you did with it and how your rosacea was affected.

from http://www.drugs.com/pregnancy/prednisone.html
          Prednisone Breastfeeding Warnings

In one study of six lactating women, prednisolone milk concentrations were 5% to 25% of corresponding serum concentrations. The authors estimated that a nursing infant would be exposed to negligible amounts of drug with maternal doses of 20 to 40 mg per day. The excretion of prednisolone into breast milk has been evaluated in six women on chronic prednisolone therapy. Milk prednisolone concentrations ranged from less than 10 to 106 ng/mL in patients receiving 10 mg to 45 mg per day (N=5). In a patient receiving 80 mg per day, milk prednisolone concentrations ranged from less than 10 ng/mL prior to the morning dose to 317 ng/mL at one hour post-dose. The peak milk to plasma concentration ratio ranged from 0.12 to 0.25. The authors recommend that nursing be withheld for four hours after administration of doses greater than 20 mg. In a recent study, prednisolone excretion into breast milk was evaluated in three women following administration of prednisolone phosphate 50 mg intravenously one time. During the six-hour study period, 0.010% to 0.049% of the administered dose of prednisolone was recovered in breast milk. Nursing infants would be expected to experience minimal exposure. Data from this study also suggest that exchange of unbound prednisolone between breast milk and serum is rapid and bi-directional.

Prednisone and its active metabolite prednisolone are excreted into human milk in small amounts. Animal studies have revealed an increased incidence of cleft palate in offspring. In one study of six lactating women, prednisolone milk concentrations were 5% to 25% of corresponding serum concentrations. The authors estimated that a nursing infant would be exposed to negligible amounts of drug with maternal doses of 20 to 40 mg per day. The excretion of prednisolone into breast milk has been evaluated in six women on chronic prednisolone therapy. Milk prednisolone concentrations ranged from less than 10 to 106 ng/mL in patients receiving 10 mg to 45 mg per day (N=5). In a patient receiving 80 mg per day, milk prednisolone concentrations ranged from less than 10 ng/mL prior to the morning dose to 317 ng/mL at one hour post-dose. The peak milk to plasma concentration ratio ranged from 0.12 to 0.25. The authors recommend that nursing be withheld for four hours after administration of doses greater than 20 mg. In a recent study, prednisolone excretion into breast milk was evaluated in three women following administration of prednisolone phosphate 50 mg intravenously one time. During the six-hour study period, 0.010% to 0.049% of the administered dose of prednisolone was recovered in breast milk. Nursing infants would be expected to experience minimal exposure. Data from this study also suggest that exchange of unbound prednisolone between breast milk and serum is rapid and bi-directional. Prednisone is considered compatible with breast-feeding by the American Academy of Pediatrics. The manufacturer recommends that caution be used when administering prednisone to nursing women.

Comment

Originally posted by kitkatt View Post
            Hello,

I am in my 30s, eczema all my life, and in the last couple years have developed rosacea, 3 out of the 4 subtypes: erythema, papules, and ocular. The redness and soreness on my face is the most bothersome, but more so, I also have eczema on my face so overall very dry, flakey, swollen, itchy, red, rough, flushed, papules... yay ;)

I understand that there has been success with prednisone clearing up papules, but has anyone had success with prednisone clearing up the red rough dry rash of rosacea overnight?

I have a business trip coming up in a couple days and it'd be extraordinarily helpful if I had clear face. I completely understand that there is likely a rebound effect, but am prepared to take that hit for the sake of this trip. I have a derm appt tomorrow and I think I'm going to get some prednisone if he allows it but not sure after reading through the forums if that's what I want. It has worked magic on my eczema before (short bursts, many years ago), but there seems to be contradicting results for rosacea on here.

Appreciate any responses!
            Like you, I have had eczema for many years before I developed rosacea. Have you tried the new Neosporin Eczema Essentials Daily Moisturizing Cream? I tried based on what posters here said about it, and I think it's close to a wonder drug. It's pretty sticky so use sparingly.

Have you tried Soolantra for your papules? It basically eliminated mine after Metrocream did not work.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantine View Post
              Like you, I have had eczema for many years before I developed rosacea. Have you tried the new Neosporin Eczema Essentials Daily Moisturizing Cream? I tried based on what posters here said about it, and I think it's close to a wonder drug. It's pretty sticky so use sparingly.

Have you tried Soolantra for your papules? It basically eliminated mine after Metrocream did not work.

I tried using the Neosporin Eczema Essentials Daily moisturizing cream and it worked wonders for me. I have Rosacea and also some Eczema and after I started using it, I love it. My acne lesions disappeared and I find it is a calming for redness as well. I highly recommend it for anyone to try because of the success I have had with it. I always keep a spare tube on hand so I never run out and you use a very small amount which makes it last a long time. I love it.

Comment

Working...
              X