Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantine
    replied
    I would encourage everybody who had bad reactions to Mirvaso to report that to the FDA. Here's the link:

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/H.../ucm053074.htm

The FDA can and has removed drugs from the market, or made the manufacturers add "black box" warnings on them, if enough people report the same bad reaction.

Leave a comment:

• tg_nyc

• tg_nyc
    replied
    New Mirvaso user—freaking out

Hi everyone, a little bit of background on me: I'm 43, had bad acne as a teenager and went on Retin-A for about a year. Otherwise, I've always been considered an extremely handsome guy. I battled blushing and rosy cheeks and nose for a big chunk of my adult life, usually after sun exposure (I'm half Mexican so I'm a natural target for the sun). I went to the dermatologist recently for the first time since my teens to have a spider vein on my cheek zapped and he told me that I suffered from Rosacea and prescribed me Oracea and Mirvaso. My cheeks do tend to flush when in the cold, wind, or when I'm embarrassed but that seemed completely natural to me. It was the constant pinkish tone to my nose that I'm most self conscious about so I only used the Mirvaso on my nose for about a month. Usually half of a pea size in the AM and another half after showering at the gym and returning to work. For about a month i noticed that Mirvaso did indeed make my nose more flesh colored. It was only last week that I had gone away for the weekend after applying the gel on my nose and once I got to our vacation house, people mentioned that my nose was bright red, my cheeks were flush, and that I had "sunglass face." Ever since last weekend, I have had horribly embarrassing flushing, to the point that my nose turns almost purple. I haven't been so embarrassed about my skin since my teenage years and PRAY that the rebound flushing isn't permanent. I used to be able to have a couple glasses of wine or a cocktail at night without any reaction but now drinking just seems to make my face bright red, especially my nose. I'm furious at the dermatologist that gave me this poison. Has anyone had an experience similar to mine and, if so, how long did it take for your skin to return to a normal color? I'm in advertising and do a lot of pitches in front of potential clients and this could potentially ruin my career.

Leave a comment:

• gazoo

• gazoo
    replied
    Originally posted by johnabetts View Post
    Aloe and MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) are unconnected.
    Sorry, I was wrong. I looked it up and first thing I saw was a product with both MSM and aloe as main ingredient. Should have kept reading. I've never heard of MSM. Interesting.

Leave a comment:

• davekelly

• davekelly
    replied
    Originally posted by JWR View Post
    This is my first post on the forum. I've been trolling for a while and appreciate the info and advice. I'm a mid-40's white guy with mild rosacea. My only symptoms are the red face--no acne, no flushing, no splotching. I got tired of looking red-faced and people asking me, "Did you get sunburned?" -- so I went to a dermatologist. He put me on Metrogel. It did nothing.

I went back 6 months later, and he had me try Mirvaso. I put it on, and I looked like I had jaundice or was a member of the walking dead. Really weird looking. So then I thought, well, if I dilute it enough, maybe it will be better. And it worked. In the mornings, I would put a tiny dot of Mirvaso and mix with my facial lotion. And it really looked good. I had done this for 2 weeks, and I thought this was the permanent solution I was looking for.

Then on a Friday evening (2 weeks after my Mirvaso use), our church had a musical event. Our music minister asked me to say a few words during the performance. So I got up to speak (in front of about 150 or 200 people). Not a big deal, I do this regularly. I always get a few butterflies, but I like it, because it forces me to focus. As I said, I've never had flushing--ever. After I sat down, we had a break between musical sets, and I literally had people rushing to me asking me if I got windburned or sunburned because they said my face looked really red. I went to the bathroom and looked in the mirror. Wow! I looked like I had been under a sunlamp for about 5 hours--a complete tomato face with splotching. Very humiliating.

I went home that night, and woke up with the same thing. The redness and splotchiness began to disappear in the late morning, but then I took a nap on Sat afternoon and woke up and felt burning. Looked in the mirror--again, tomato face with splotches. I stopped using the Mirvaso that day. The burning, flushing, severe redness would return, and it seemed to happen more after I woke up either in the mornings or after a nap. It did this for 3 days (after I stopped the use of Mirvaso). Finally, it started to calm down. And after 6 days it was back to normal. But during those 6 days, I was very worried.

I'm never going back to a dermatologist for rosacea. I still can't get over the fact that Mirvaso is approved to be used on humans.
    As a side note, my face looks better than it has in 10 years since I began using MSM gel (by Kala Health) mixed with my regular lotion and a dot of tinted zinc oxide sunscreen (EltaMD UV Physical SPF 41). I also drink orange juice with a tiny amount of MSM flakes each morning, but I can't tell if that has had any impact. For what it's worth!

Jeff
    I love that .

Leave a comment:

• JWR

• JWR
    replied
    Originally posted by johnabetts View Post
    Right. My understanding is that MSM is the form of organic Sulphur found in foods like onions. I think Sulphur lotion is something that rosacea sufferers should at least try. It used to be a common home remedy used for skin problems. It still is regularly used with great success on skin problems in animals.

Leave a comment:

• johnabetts

• johnabetts
    replied
    Originally posted by gazoo View Post
    Aloe is the main ingredient in MSM.

Leave a comment:

• gazoo

• gazoo
    replied
    Aloe is the main ingredient in MSM. This has helped with redness JWR?

Leave a comment:

• JWR

• JWR
    replied
    Similar horrible experience with Mirvaso

This is my first post on the forum. I've been trolling for a while and appreciate the info and advice. I'm a mid-40's white guy with mild rosacea. My only symptoms are the red face--no acne, no flushing, no splotching. I got tired of looking red-faced and people asking me, "Did you get sunburned?" -- so I went to a dermatologist. He put me on Metrogel. It did nothing.

I went back 6 months later, and he had me try Mirvaso. I put it on, and I looked like I had jaundice or was a member of the walking dead. Really weird looking. So then I thought, well, if I dilute it enough, maybe it will be better. And it worked. In the mornings, I would put a tiny dot of Mirvaso and mix with my facial lotion. And it really looked good. I had done this for 2 weeks, and I thought this was the permanent solution I was looking for.

Then on a Friday evening (2 weeks after my Mirvaso use), our church had a musical event. Our music minister asked me to say a few words during the performance. So I got up to speak (in front of about 150 or 200 people). Not a big deal, I do this regularly. I always get a few butterflies, but I like it, because it forces me to focus. As I said, I've never had flushing--ever. After I sat down, we had a break between musical sets, and I literally had people rushing to me asking me if I got windburned or sunburned because they said my face looked really red. I went to the bathroom and looked in the mirror. Wow! I looked like I had been under a sunlamp for about 5 hours--a complete tomato face with splotching. Very humiliating.

I went home that night, and woke up with the same thing. The redness and splotchiness began to disappear in the late morning, but then I took a nap on Sat afternoon and woke up and felt burning. Looked in the mirror--again, tomato face with splotches. I stopped using the Mirvaso that day. The burning, flushing, severe redness would return, and it seemed to happen more after I woke up either in the mornings or after a nap. It did this for 3 days (after I stopped the use of Mirvaso). Finally, it started to calm down. And after 6 days it was back to normal. But during those 6 days, I was very worried.

I'm never going back to a dermatologist for rosacea. I still can't get over the fact that Mirvaso is approved to be used on humans.

As a side note, my face looks better than it has in 10 years since I began using MSM gel (by Kala Health) mixed with my regular lotion and a dot of tinted zinc oxide sunscreen (EltaMD UV Physical SPF 41). I also drink orange juice with a tiny amount of MSM flakes each morning, but I can't tell if that has had any impact. For what it's worth!

Jeff

Leave a comment:

• gazoo

• gazoo
    replied
    Rosacea has taught me a very important lesson in life...take responsibility for your own well being...never assume these "professionals" actually give a crap about you, take everything a doctor, especially a derm, tells you with a grain of salt and always, always do your own research.

Leave a comment:

• PADWENDA1

• PADWENDA1
    replied
    Originally posted by stormydown View Post
    My face started calming down in the middle of the day and then flared up worse than before after dinner (picture below - it uploaded sideways for some reason), probably from the hot food. In my 26 years my face has never done anything like this. I regret using this drug with every fiber of my being.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2813[/ATTACH]
    Hi Stormydown. My face is exactly the same redness as your face! I'm at day 5 of the recovery process. I only used the gel twice, can you tell me if you recovered and how long it took? Many thanks.

Leave a comment:

• sportsfan81

• sportsfan81
    replied
    I finally returned to somewhat normal baseline today although still not completely there. I wish I never tried this product but was desperate for something to work. I hope with a V-beam treatment scheduled for next week will help me get back to my normal baseline (which isn't great). If I could help anyone who is thinking about trying Mirvaso just don't do it, it's not worth the struggle for only a few days of relief if your luck to have that. All this hype for a drug that is causing more problems then it solves.

Leave a comment:

• Samar2000

• Samar2000
    replied
    Originally posted by SPKernan View Post
    A comment to the above post,
    Yes, my dermatologist warned me as well that some people look "ghostly" from using this product. I thought "Heck! I'll take that!". I cannot believe that we are not warned about the rebound flushing. And like yourself, I did not look at comments until after I had already applied the product. There has to me something wrong here....How can this product be prescribed without these INTENSE negative affects explained? I realize that it is up to the product user to do their research, but come on, saying that you turn "too white" doesn't seem like it has been a problem for anybody.

An update after my last post as well. I used the product yesterday after I woke up, throughout the day I was looking fine, better than usual, not completely redless, but still a huge improvement. I drank a beer and didn't flush too much. (I'm hoping that by drinking I can wear the effects down of the rebound flushing??????.....Fingers crossed).

I applied it again this morning at around 6:30am and headed to work, at around noon, so almost 6 hours later, I started to flush a bit, not too much again so it wasn't a problem. By the time I had gotten home, it was completely gone and my face looked great again. I then proceded to drink a beer (A craft IPA) And holy SH*%. Wellp, again, confidence destroyer. Bring red, and it is spreading out to areas of my face that I don't even apply the product.

I really don't know what to do at this point. If I stop using the product I know that I am going to rebound flush for the next few days like people say. But I'm still holding out hope that my body is just getting used to it and that, I don't know, a week from now, my body will accept the product and it will work like it is intended.

Fingers crossed. But I'm not holding my breath.
    Me personally, I'm not going the Mirvaso way. I think it will make rosacea worse in the long run. The constant constriction with the Mirvaso and then the rebound will make capillaries weaker. I'm not taking any risks and wait for something better coming up in the future. But that's just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• SPKernan

• SPKernan
    replied
    A comment to the above post,
    Yes, my dermatologist warned me as well that some people look "ghostly" from using this product. I thought "Heck! I'll take that!". I cannot believe that we are not warned about the rebound flushing. And like yourself, I did not look at comments until after I had already applied the product. There has to me something wrong here....How can this product be prescribed without these INTENSE negative affects explained? I realize that it is up to the product user to do their research, but come on, saying that you turn "too white" doesn't seem like it has been a problem for anybody.

An update after my last post as well. I used the product yesterday after I woke up, throughout the day I was looking fine, better than usual, not completely redless, but still a huge improvement. I drank a beer and didn't flush too much. (I'm hoping that by drinking I can wear the effects down of the rebound flushing??????.....Fingers crossed).

I applied it again this morning at around 6:30am and headed to work, at around noon, so almost 6 hours later, I started to flush a bit, not too much again so it wasn't a problem. By the time I had gotten home, it was completely gone and my face looked great again. I then proceded to drink a beer (A craft IPA) And holy SH*%. Wellp, again, confidence destroyer. Bring red, and it is spreading out to areas of my face that I don't even apply the product.

I really don't know what to do at this point. If I stop using the product I know that I am going to rebound flush for the next few days like people say. But I'm still holding out hope that my body is just getting used to it and that, I don't know, a week from now, my body will accept the product and it will work like it is intended.

Fingers crossed. But I'm not holding my breath.

Leave a comment:

• evanseesred

• evanseesred
    replied
    My Mirvaso Experience + recovery time

So a little background: I have been suffering from rosacea for years but it's become more of a noticeable problem in the last few years. I have tried various topicals with limited success. I currently take doxycycline 100 MG pills once a day to prevent breakouts (which really has helped. I would prefer Oracea but the price is too expensive). Last month, I made an appointment with a dermatologist during a particularly bad period of extreme flushing. When he saw me 2 weeks later, the flushing had gone so he really didn't see the worst of it. But I explained the situation and he prescribed Mirvaso. The only warning he gave me was that some people report looking "too white" -- like a ghost. This seemed like a trade off I could live with. That said, I did not experience much redness for the next few weeks (which I'll explain in a moment) so I didn't use it for a while. One day last week, I started flushing a bit. I was actually excited to finally have an oportunity to try this! So I followed the directions and put a peasize amount of my cheeks and nose. I didn't think to look online since it was coming from a dermatologist and the warning he provided seemed like something I could live with. Of course, stupidly, AFTER I had applied it I went online and read the horror stories. I panicked. I went and washed my face but it was likely too late at that point. So I waited. Later that evening, my redness disappeared -- no ghostly look or anything. Because I was afraid of the rebound, seeing how good my skin looked was actually frightening because I knew it was about to get a whole lot worse. Sure enough, 24 hours later some splotchy dark spots started appearing on my cheeks and then all around redness. More red than it ever looked. I was so upset. I emailed my Dr. and asked why he would prescribe this and not warn of the rebound.

Anyways, I will say -- just because I haven't read a ton of follow ups to people's initial reaction and what the recovery time has been -- that night I went to sleep with a very red face. I woke up the next morning and it looked better, but still red. The next morning, it was all cleared up and actually looked good. No permanent damage I don't think. So 2 days recovery after one application.

What I did return to (which I think my help account for the lack of redness for the weeks leading up to this) is what is now my routine (in addition to the doxy pills): Apple Cidar Vinegar. I take a shot of it in the morning and one in the afternoon. I also apply a bit directly onto my face. I have no idea what to make of it, but this seems to be helping my redness dramatically. I've only read a bit about ACV on here and tried it for other reasons but I feel like I may have found the closest thing to a cure that I'll be able to find in the foreseeable future.

Anyways, hope this helps!

Leave a comment:

• sportsfan81

• sportsfan81
    replied
    Hi SPK,

I can relate with your experience as I just tried Mirvaso myself and went through a lot of the same painful experiences. I first applied Mirvaso very sparingly on my cheeks and nose on a Sat night before I went out drinking. I was very nervous but after about an hour of applying I went to the bathroom to check my progress and it was a miracle, my face was clear especially my nose which is always bright red. The bar we went to was very warm and only sold craft beer (my worst nightmare for flushing) but 2 hours in I was looking great. Towards the end of the night I did develop a small red patch on my cheek but it was nothing to what I would have had without the drug. The next day as I was recovering I noticed my skin was looking alittle improved especially after a night of drinking, I couldn't believe it as I was extremely paranoid of the rebound flush. I did not apply at all on Sunday and had no issues, Monday I applied at 8am before work and everything was going great once again. Around noon I went to the bathroom and noticed that a small patch on my nose was turning very bright pink and unnatural, this was the beginning of hell. I applied a tiny amount to the affected area and went about my day, every hour though I noticed more and more my face was turning red. I tried to apply a little more but I didn't want to risk over applying. My face felt like it was on fire and I finally had to get out of there because I was flushing so bad and in places I don't normally flush. I took a cold shower and prayed that this would end. The next day I had bad rebound flushing and called out of work.

I was now two days off the Mirvaso and decided the night before Thanksgiving that I would have a few drinks, I had two beers and my face was extremely flushed to a point where I thought it was an allergic reaction because it was allitle swollen. I was depressed, Thanksgiving day my family was over and everyone was drinking and after holding out I joined in for a few beers. Once again my face turned bright red more then when I normally flush and very intense in panic mode I applied a small amount of Mirvaso with moisturizer, it didn't do much. It has now been 3 days since my last application and my face does not feel or look the same. Any trigger makes me flush intensely and m skin feels much different almost like a constant tingling or burning sensation.

I am at a loss of what I should do, I wish I never tried this product and now I don't know how long it will take for this to wear off. I would stay away from this product and throw it in the trash. I am scared to go to work tomorrow and if this effect will ever wear off. I am scheduling a v-beam treatment next week in hopes that can help return me back to what I was. This was soul crushing as I had such high hopes and now I am in utter despair.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X