No announcement yet.

Can a psychiatrist prescribe clonidine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a psychiatrist prescribe clonidine?

I currently take remeron 15mg a day (for depression), I can't say it's helped much with the flushing, but hasn't made it worse. I am seeing a psychiatrist again in a few weeks, and wanted to try and get a prescription for beta blockers, since I've read they can help with anxiety related flushing which is definitely a problem for me. My question is, does anyone know if a psychiatrist can prescribe clonidine? Would be nice to kill two birds with one stone so to speak. I know it is sometimes prescribed for tourettes, opiate/alcohol withdrawal, people who are trying to quit smoking etc...

Please let me know if you have any experience with this, I am debating as to wether or not I should make an appointment to see (yet another) GP to *attempt* to get a prescription for clonidine to help flushing...

Wouldn't it be so much easier if all doctors were familiar with treating the flushing aspect of rosacea? That would be like a dream come true!

Originally posted by Aze View Post
    I currently take remeron 15mg a day (for depression), I can't say it's helped much with the flushing, but hasn't made it worse. I am seeing a psychiatrist again in a few weeks, and wanted to try and get a prescription for beta blockers, since I've read they can help with anxiety related flushing which is definitely a problem for me. My question is, does anyone know if a psychiatrist can prescribe clonidine? Would be nice to kill two birds with one stone so to speak. I know it is sometimes prescribed for tourettes, opiate/alcohol withdrawal, people who are trying to quit smoking etc...

Please let me know if you have any experience with this, I am debating as to wether or not I should make an appointment to see (yet another) GP to *attempt* to get a prescription for clonidine to help flushing...

Wouldn't it be so much easier if all doctors were familiar with treating the flushing aspect of rosacea? That would be like a dream come true!
    If the shrink has MD behind his name, no problem. If the shrink is a psychologist, prescribing medications always goes through the MD associated with the psychologist.

If you need more information for your psychiatrist to read about flushing and rosacea suggest you print up information from these posts.
    Last edited by Brady Barrows; 27 May 2013, 10:13 PM.
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Originally posted by Brady Barrows View Post
      If the shrink has MD behind his name, no problem. If the shrink is a psychologist, prescribing medications always goes through the MD associated with the psychologist.

If you need more information for your psychiatrist to read about flushing and rosacea suggest you print up information from these posts.
      Yes it is indeed a psychiatrist, I will print those off and bring them with me. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
      X