Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noritate and Finacea

Hey all,

I finally saw the dermatologist today to get treatment for my rosacea. I suffer mostly from redness and flushing - I also have a bit of acne so P&Ps pop up once in a while too. The derm prescribed me Noritate (metronidazole topic cream) and Finacea. I tried asking for anti-flush meds (beta blockers) or/and antibiotics (doxycycline) but she pretty much said no (which I was a bit bummed about because the flushing can get pretty bad and burn... my triggers are mostly stress-emotion related but lately I've been flushing for not apparent reason...)

So I was wondering, how do I go about using both meds? One in the am and one in the pm? What can I expect from them result-wise? Reduced redness? Reduced flushing? Or just fewer P&Ps? She pretty much just said don't drink alcohol, eat spicy food and wear sunscreen...which of course I already knew.

Does anyone know of any anti-flush meds that are none prescription? I'm going to keep working on trying to get some but in the meantime....

Let me know!

Originally posted by Aze View Post
    The derm prescribed me Noritate (metronidazole topic cream) and Finacea.

So I was wondering, how do I go about using both meds? One in the am and one in the pm? What can I expect from them result-wise? Reduced redness? Reduced flushing? Or just fewer P&Ps? She pretty much just said don't drink alcohol, eat spicy food and wear sunscreen...which of course I already knew.

Does anyone know of any anti-flush meds that are none prescription? I'm going to keep working on trying to get some but in the meantime....

Let me know!
    Very remiss of your healthcare professional to prescribe medication and then give no indication of how it should be used. if there are no recommendations in the PILs* go back and get a treatment regimen confirmed.

Regarding anti-flush medications, if your healthcare professional advised against it then it would be unethical for us to suggest anything. You should, of course eat a healthy diet and avoid all things that cause reactions in your skin.

As this is your first dermatologist visit, she may be just at an exploratory stage with your condition and may well change your medications at future consultations depending on your response to the two you have been prescribed. The response you get from either or both can range between complete remission of your symptoms and no effect at all - or anything in between. An important point is to persist with the treatment as it takes some time for it to take effect and have a noticeable improvement in your appearance.

*PIL = Patient Information Leaflet - included in the product packaging.

Comment

Originally posted by johnabetts View Post
      Very remiss of your healthcare professional to prescribe medication and then give no indication of how it should be used. if there are no recommendations in the PILs* go back and get a treatment regimen confirmed.

Regarding anti-flush medications, if your healthcare professional advised against it then it would be unethical for us to suggest anything. You should, of course eat a healthy diet and avoid all things that cause reactions in your skin.

As this is your first dermatologist visit, she may be just at an exploratory stage with your condition and may well change your medications at future consultations depending on your response to the two you have been prescribed. The response you get from either or both can range between complete remission of your symptoms and no effect at all - or anything in between. An important point is to persist with the treatment as it takes some time for it to take effect and have a noticeable improvement in your appearance.

*PIL = Patient Information Leaflet - included in the product packaging.
      I asked if I could use both at the same time and she said yes, it wasn't until after I left that I realized I didn't exactly understand what she meant by that. She didn't say no really to the anti-flush meds, actually she didn't really comment on it at all, maybe be deemed my rosacea minor enough that the Finacea and Metro would take care of it (and she may be right). She also did not ask me to book a follow up appointment which I found a bit strange...maybe she's very busy.

Anyway if I do not see any improvement I can always go back!

Comment

It is important not to overtreat the condition - a very common error, especially with new sufferers.

For initial therapy one, or at most two, treatment regimens should be tried. If there is no improvement after a reasonable period, another treatment may be looked at.

I must make the comment that the attitude of your dermatologist does leave something to be desired - busy or not!

Comment

Originally posted by johnabetts View Post
          It is important not to overtreat the condition - a very common error, especially with new sufferers.

For initial therapy one, or at most two, treatment regimens should be tried. If there is no improvement after a reasonable period, another treatment may be looked at.

I must make the comment that the attitude of your dermatologist does leave something to be desired - busy or not!
          Yes I agree. I think I'll use just the finacea for now and see how it goes. I'll also look into seeing a new derm, one I can go to long term and with whom I can have follow ups.

Comment

Working...
          X