Mepacrine Day 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mepacrine Day 1

Just to let you guys know, I received the Mepacrine. Just popped first pill.

Here are some photos for what it looks like.

20121031_121225.jpg20121031_121327.jpg

How long do you have to take it?
    "It's all illusion anyway."

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
      How long do you have to take it?
      What do you mean? I have a 50 pill supply

Comment

One pill for 50 days? 2 pills a day for 25 days? 5 pills a day for 10 days?
        "It's all illusion anyway."

Comment

Sorry. one pill per day, 100mg.
          I have 50 pills because according to the pharmacy that is how many comes in a box etc.

Comment

Just an update.

I went to my doctor, local GP today and he said NO NHS authorities will prescribe this drug, not even for malaria. He said its unliscenced for my condition, and even if i had malaria i would have to pay high price for it.

Ridiculous. I took all my documents,info and letters from CHU.

He said NO.

Anyway, i have 50 pills for £75 , but im hearing it can take 6 months to kick in!!

I dont fancy paying £1.50 a day to try this, so if anyone knows anywhere cheaper PLEASE let me know.

Thank you

Comment

It's cheaper than that from Boots. I noted on the forum previously, Boots is the main supplier of mepacrine in the UK. It made an agreement that it would supply the drug with lupus experts, as the drug is quite regularly prescribed in cases of lupus.

Comment

Originally posted by antwantsclear View Post
                It's cheaper than that from Boots. I noted on the forum previously, Boots is the main supplier of mepacrine in the UK. It made an agreement that it would supply the drug with lupus experts, as the drug is quite regularly prescribed in cases of lupus.
                boots quoted me £ 113 for 28 pills

one other thing. if this is going to work how long till it works?

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop View Post
                  boots quoted me £ 113 for 28 pills

one other thing. if this is going to work how long till it works?

I get mepacrine from Boots at about £30 or £40 a month. Try a different branch of Boots.

Comment

Oh cool!! Please keep us updated on your mepacrine experiences. I have a dear friend who will send me a month supply, Dr Chu prescribes it to her as well and she got it covered by NHS finally, after a lot of trouble from unwilling GP's. I cant get it at all here so I am depending on her and dr Chu.
                    I believe that mepacrine is supposed to start working within a month or two, tops. Plaquenil takes a lot longer to build up and become effective. So will keep my fingers crossed for you!!
                    My rosacea related blog: http://scarletnat.blogspot.com/2012/...edication.html

Comment

I get mepacrine from Boots at about £30 or £40 a month. Try a different branch of Boots.
                      thanks for info pal.

will shop around in a few weeks when need to buy more.

does the mepacrine work for you? how long have you been using it?

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop View Post
                        thanks for info pal.

will shop around in a few weeks when need to buy more.

does the mepacrine work for you? how long have you been using it?

cheers
                        Mepacrine works quite well for me but it is not perfect. I've used mepacrine for several months altogether. Nat is right - it doesn't take very long to start working. I noticed a benefit within a couple of days. Are you using it alongside mirtazapine or instead of mirtazapine? Plaquenil works better for me but it does carry potential serious eye problems.

Comment

Mepacrine works quite well for me but it is not perfect. I've used mepacrine for several months altogether. Nat is right - it doesn't take very long to start working. I noticed a benefit within a couple of days. Are you using it alongside mirtazapine or instead of mirtazapine? Plaquenil works better for me but it does carry potential serious eye problems.
                          currently on mepacrine, mirtazpine, and clonidine.

How long should I give the mepacrine to see if it works?

Comment

Hi Snoop,

Just wondering if you've any updates to give on your use of mepacrine?

I also see Dr Chu, and am on clondine and remeron currently. They've helped to some extent, but if there are no more improvements I'm also going to ask for mepacrine alongside them, when I next see him ( few months time).

Also, when are you next seeing Dr Chu?

I think you've been taking mepacrine for three weeks now, so hopefully you're doing well!

Best wishes!

Ben.
                            Last edited by Ben1992; 22 November 2012, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X