Accutane induced flushing/rosacea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tmon912 View Post
    My Accutane flushing went away and I just got done with a course last year. It went away in a week or two. I took it for phymous rosacea (very mild) and it made my eyes too dry and red and made my face flush and puff up so I stopped after a couple of months. After I stopped it looked better than ever for a while, but now it's worse. I don't think it was the Accutane, though. Just because you use something new and then your symptoms get worse sometime after that doesn't mean it had anything to do with it. Of course, if it were the case that it did cause rosacea the doctors would never admit it....
    How long exactly were you on the accutane and at what dose? Was the flushing severe while on the accutane? Are you flushing now?

Comment

Originally posted by Nana View Post
      How long exactly were you on the accutane and at what dose? Was the flushing severe while on the accutane? Are you flushing now?
      Well first of all I'm a guy. I can't tell from here but I'm guessing you're of the fairer sex. Yes? Women tend to flush more. I never had that much flushing and I don't really have any at all right now. But the accutane did make me flush. Only super-fatty food, pure sugar, or alcohol makes me flush like that. I was on about 20-50 mg a week, so a really low dose, for a couple of months. What else are you doing for your triggers? Are you doing anything for your gut health? When coming off those types of medicine, which I've done four times now, I always kick my regime into high gear and that helps. Your body must recover.

Comment

I have accutane induced flushing, and the most effective treatment has been Plaquenil. Mepacrine helped somewhat but not as much as the Plaquenil. Plaquenil can help with the redness as well as the flushing, as it speeds up the growth of the skin, so giving a plumper/less red appearance. Moxonodine or clonidine are useful to accompany the Plaquenil to control blood pressure, as Plaquenil's effect is as an anti-inflammatory rather than on blood pressure.

Personally I have stopped all showering as this was very irritating to the skin. Baths are much gentler and less drying on the skin I've found.

Comment

I have added this thread to the list.
          Brady Barrows
          Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Originally posted by antwantsclear View Post
            I have accutane induced flushing, and the most effective treatment has been Plaquenil. Mepacrine helped somewhat but not as much as the Plaquenil. Plaquenil can help with the redness as well as the flushing, as it speeds up the growth of the skin, so giving a plumper/less red appearance. Moxonodine or clonidine are useful to accompany the Plaquenil to control blood pressure, as Plaquenil's effect is as an anti-inflammatory rather than on blood pressure.

Personally I have stopped all showering as this was very irritating to the skin. Baths are much gentler and less drying on the skin I've found.
            How much has your flushing decreased since starting Plaquenil?

Ps, are you from Canada?

Comment

About 60% improvement. I'm from UK. Shantelle on this forum has also found benefits from taking Plaquenil for accutane induced rosacea.

Comment

About 60% improvement. I'm from UK. Shantelle on this forum has also found benefits from taking Plaquenil for accutane induced rosacea.
                60% Nice! Have you ever tried low molecular weight HA? That might help plump up the skin too.

Comment

Well first of all I'm a guy. I can't tell from here but I'm guessing you're of the fairer sex. Yes? Women tend to flush more. I never had that much flushing and I don't really have any at all right now. But the accutane did make me flush. Only super-fatty food, pure sugar, or alcohol makes me flush like that. I was on about 20-50 mg a week, so a really low dose, for a couple of months. What else are you doing for your triggers? Are you doing anything for your gut health? When coming off those types of medicine, which I've done four times now, I always kick my regime into high gear and that helps. Your body must recover.
                  I'm a bit confused with your accutane story - could you clarify? You say you "never had that much flushing" - are you referring to when you were ON the accutane? Or are you saing pre-accutane you didn't have flushing, and then you flushed while on accutane? Was it constant flushing on the accutane?

Comment

hi

After the year, did your flushing go back to what it was pre-accutane? When did you start to notice the flushing decrease?
                    Yeah it was about a year before my flushing just returned to abnormal rather than 24/7,

Ipl and paroxitine since then have been my best help, TENS OF THOUSANDS LATER ITS STILL A STRUGGLE..opps wasnt mean to put it into caps lock, to lasy to correct it, yet im still typing? haha sorry,..

it got better for me once i stopped taking the crap.. i think i was lucky because i was only on it for two months..for the following ten months it screwed me.Put me in to depression,(doing ok now)well average..

Comment

Another one here who started flushing after an accutane course, and also after using a topical retinoid.

Currently using: Propranolol, Clonidine, Mirtazapine and using Rozex cream at night.

Guys, these will help somewhat, but are never a cure. I have been flushing for nearly 1 year now. Still praying it will go away in time using these meds which are making the flushing somewhat bareable . I can still flush as bad as ever, but its less common.

Im still looking for that something to really knockout the flushing. Other post-accutane flushers have reported Anti-milarials such as Mepacrine/Plaquenil to help or in some cases even shut down and possibly over time cure their flushing.

Would love to hear if anybody is taking these drugs and found success? And HOW you got it prescribed?
                      Last edited by pleasehelp123; 19 December 2011, 06:52 AM.

Comment

I'm a bit confused with your accutane story - could you clarify? You say you "never had that much flushing" - are you referring to when you were ON the accutane? Or are you saing pre-accutane you didn't have flushing, and then you flushed while on accutane? Was it constant flushing on the accutane?
                        Sorry. I didn't have any real flushing before or after taking the tane, just during. I also didn't have any while taking 5mg per day. I'm about to go back to that since my body is feeling healthier now. You ever tried GoodSkin lotion, or SkinMedica Redness Relief CalmPlex? Those seem to be good for redness. I can attest to the GoodSkin from experience, and I actually still use it for redness. The goodskin is supposed to block phospholipase A2 and the SkinMedica is supposed to block prostaglandins. Maybe those would help you? Maybe Accutane just isn't for you . Although, I think it's hard to tell--rosacea can get worse due to many variables. Good luck.

Comment

Sorry. I didn't have any real flushing before or after taking the tane, just during. I also didn't have any while taking 5mg per day. I'm about to go back to that since my body is feeling healthier now. You ever tried GoodSkin lotion, or SkinMedica Redness Relief CalmPlex? Those seem to be good for redness. I can attest to the GoodSkin from experience, and I actually still use it for redness. The goodskin is supposed to block phospholipase A2 and the SkinMedica is supposed to block prostaglandins. Maybe those would help you? Maybe Accutane just isn't for you . Although, I think it's hard to tell--rosacea can get worse due to many variables. Good luck.
                          5mg?! Wow! I didn't even know they made such a low dose! Thanks for clarifying!

Comment

5mg?! Wow! I didn't even know they made such a low dose! Thanks for clarifying!
                            Ya, for some reason they don't seem to have it in America. Why....I can only guess it has something to do with profit. If you get a prescription you can get it over the internet, I think. I got it from my uncle who's a doc in Europe, but I'm sure you can get it on the net.

Comment

Have you tried LMW HA? That plumps up the skin too.

Comment

Never had a problem with a red face or flushing until I took accutane

I took Accutane for acne in 2002. I had been going to a dermatologist for just over a year at that point and had tried many acne medications, none of which were giving me the results I was looking for. The doctor then suggested I try Accutane. Before I tried Accutane I never had a red face ever, I never knew what it meant to flush, and I def. did not have rosacea.

During the course of my 5 month Accutane treatment my face was constantly red and I had bad flushing episodes. A girl in one of my classes even asked my friend what was wrong with my face and why it was so red... Again, my face was never red before Accutane and I had tried numerous acne treatments. I had pimples yes, but the background of my face was white as snow. Ever since I came off the Accutane I have a problem with redness and flushing, and to make it worse the acne cleared at first but has since come back just as strong as before. So now I have acne, and redness, and flushing.

I am absolutely convinced the Accutane caused my facial redness and my flushing... like I said I had never flushed before or had a problem with redness, so how could that not be the culprit?

Comment

Working...
                                X