No announcement yet.

More news about Brimonidine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very interesting article. I wonder if this is the article my derm called me about. At least he has me on his mind. This was before you mentioned your drops that he had called me and told me to try the afrin. Maybe this is why he originally prescribe the .15%.

Thanks.
    using elidel at night, taking atelenol, had 2 vbeam laser treatments, 46 year old female

Comment

Thanks for the response WrinkledClue. I am going to ask my doctor to try this out. I will post updates on my results here.

Comment

I just wanted to add my two cents worth. After reading this thread and seeing that the eye drops are for glaucoma, I realized that I have Pilocarpine drops which are off label for ocular rosacea. Pilocarpine was designed as a glaucoma treatment as well, so I decided it would not hurt to try it as mentioned previously. It is helping tremendously!! That along with raw honey as my face wash and honey masks and a honey moisturizer has made my redness diminish greatly and my red spots (which were not raised) have also almost disappeared.

I don't flush, never have, but my rosacea started with hot flashes and peri-menopausal symptoms. I have controlled the hot flashes but the redness still got worse.

I plan on talking to my doctor about the Vivelle dot as well.

BTW - I found an excellent apiary on-line: Dancing Bee Acres. They are in Portland, Oregon. I also use their honey eye drops for my ocular symptoms.

Comment

WC:
          I called my derm today and she isn't comfortable giving me the brimonidine prescription because she isn't familiar with it. I gave her the information so hopefully she will do some research to become educated on it as she hadn't heard of it yet. I'm not hopeful. Thinking back to many years ago, I actually came to her with the Oracea information when it was new on the market and was her first patient to get the prescription because I told her about it. Again, she hadn't heard of it prior to me bringing it to her attention all due to this forum! Hhmmm..she's starting to sound not too up on things!!

That said, I do have an appointment on the 20th with a different dermatologist who specializes in laser treatments. I will ask him if I haven't gotten anywhere with the other derm.

Just curious, with insurance, if you are labelled as having glaucoma or since it's off-label, is it submitted differently? That was one question my derm had (or concern).
          Mild Subtype 2
          Metrocream 2x/day until 8/2010
          Over the counter Prosacea....this dries out my p&p's when all else fails.
          Dermalogica's Sensitized Line
          Sunscreen: Clinique's City Block
          VBeam: 9 joules/cm2@ 10ms pulse duration
          Plaquenil 400mg/day

Comment

Hi Windsor,
            Your derm can write the Rx for you and accurately diagnosis you as well. They are allowed to write for off label uses of meds. They are the physician after all. Whether your insurance company will cover it is the question and I cannot see why they would question it if the doctor is prescribing it for rosacea. It is not a terribly expensive medication in the first place so at worst you may have a higher copay than a generic but it still should be covered.

I would recommend you never ask your doctor to bill for a diagnosis that is not correct just to get something covered if it came to that as that is unethical and they could lose their license for doing that.

Hopefully your derm will decide it is OK after reading about it and Rx it for you. Have her call a dermatologist that does prescribe it if she wants more info regarding the off label use of Brimonidine.

Best,
            Melissa

Comment

Hello Windsor90,

Maybe it would help to print out this article and bring it to the doctor you hope to get Brimonidine from.

And here is another article for you to print out to take to your doctor, read carefully and you will see it mentions Brimonidine here as well.

Hope this helps.
              Last edited by WrinkledClue; 2 August 2010, 08:11 PM.
              • 58 yr old woman
              • Rosacea at 48, debilitating at 52
              • Clonidine 100mgc ev. 8 hrs;
              • Remeron 15mg nightly;
              • Zebeta=Bisoprolol=Beta blocker 5mg nightly;
              • Brimonidine worked well initially, then MASSIVE rebound flushing and damage;
              • Countless IPL with Lumenis One;
              • Now purpuric V Beam with Candela Perfecta; more clearance, less downtime than IPL;
              • Botox (with mesotherapy needles), good not great results;
              • Monthly Kenalog injection to blunt debilitating flushing.

Comment

Thanks Melissa and Wrinkled. To clarify, my derm was concerned that the only way she could write the script was if my diagnosis was glaucoma which I do not have. Of course, I would never ask anyone to misrepresent my condition in order to get it through to insurance and was surprised that she suggested that I would be labelled as having glaucoma for the rest of my life. Thanks for the off-label information!

Anyway, I'm excited to try this and am crossing my fingers that I will be able to give it a whirl soon.
                Mild Subtype 2
                Metrocream 2x/day until 8/2010
                Over the counter Prosacea....this dries out my p&p's when all else fails.
                Dermalogica's Sensitized Line
                Sunscreen: Clinique's City Block
                VBeam: 9 joules/cm2@ 10ms pulse duration
                Plaquenil 400mg/day

Comment

I hope it helps you as much as it does for WC Windsor!

Comment

Windsor, she can also write the prescription and just NOT run it through your insurance.

With my insurance, one bottle (10ml), a generous month's supply, is $10.

WithOUT insurance, the same bottle is only about $25.
                    • 58 yr old woman
                    • Remeron 15mg nightly;
                    • Now purpuric V Beam with Candela Perfecta; more clearance, less downtime than IPL;

Comment

Hi WC,
                      Since last Thursday I started applying 1 drop of bromonidine mixed with drop lotion drop of water. Till yesterday flushing not less but I would say more maybe. Yesterday I went to the supermarket was fine inside then when I went to my car afterwards by the time I got in the car my ears were both really flushed left even more purple from the heat. Either I was having rebound flushing or my ears were just flushing, but sadly definitely no improvement.

Today I woke up with my right ear really red and even swollen. So I tried applying the bromonidine drop directly to my ear without mixing it. (The article you posted the doctor said that he would have his patients apply the drop directly to the skin). I then waited a minute or so once the ear was dry applied my lotion & sunscreen later. Lets see how it goes today.

I know you have been through hell and back with this awful rosacea but thankfully to God your skin responds well to the vbeam and now the bromodine. You are surely blessed. I have been getting my awful pains back on my fingers along with the swelling and pain on certain parts of my body. I just wish my worst problem would be the rosacea which now doesn’t feel so bad compared to the new awful thing that is happening to me.

Fingers crossed, thanks again for your help and input.

DId you see results as soon as your 1st application or did it take longer to see improvement?

Thanks again for all your help and input.

Windsor,

My derm last week called in the prescription for me for the bromonidine. He had already seen the article about the sinex and the bromonidine. he had called me and told me to try the sinex which i did but it didnt seem to help much. So last week i called him about the bromonidine and he called it in for me. With my insurance it cost me $10, without it would have cost around $35 or so. So like WC says if not just tell them not to run it through your insurance. Worth a try if it can help, I pray it starts to work for me. But at least I can say i tried.
                      using elidel at night, taking atelenol, had 2 vbeam laser treatments, 46 year old female

Comment

Hi Alba,

Sometimes I wonder if ear flushing isn't different somehow from facial flushing.

It certainly comes on faster and is harder to control for me. I was afraid that the Brimonidine would have a different effect on the ears than on the facial skin.

Do you flush on your face? Are you going to try the Brimonidine on your face, diluted with cream?

Also, why do your hands hurt? Do they get hot and flare like your ears? If they do, and if you also have foot involvement, you may have Erythromelagia (pronounced er-ry-thro-my-al-gia), which from what I understand is like rosacea of the face, hands, and feet.

Here is some more information about that --

Hope this helps....
                        • 58 yr old woman
                        • Remeron 15mg nightly;

Comment

WrinkledClue

Hi WrinkledClue, I'm glad to see your new treatment is still working for you. Have you noticed any lessening of spider veins on your skin with the Brimonidine? I know you had recenlty had V-Beam so maybe those veins were already taken care of but if not, I'm really curious if the new med is helping. Thanks.

Comment

I just felt my right ear hot burning, then looked in mirror the half upper outer part of my right ear is totally purple. My ears dont usually flush inside my office since its cold in our building. Could this be rebound flushing but why jsut that part or could it be that i didnt apply as much on that part this morning? i thought i did and why flushing anyways so i think its rebound. JUST SUCKS!

I never got his while trying the sinex.

Comment

Hi Shrimpy,

The Brimonidine is still surpassing my expectations, and much of the permanent redness seems to be slowly leaving.

Also the Brimonidine seems to be slowly shrinking my spider veins and fixed telangectasias, yes.

Good stuff, this new drug!

-WC
                              • 58 yr old woman
                              • Remeron 15mg nightly;

Comment

WC,

Now that you are applying the drops daily on your face does your derm say it is still okay to get the vbream? have you had the vbeam performed after doing the drops daily?

did you see your flushing improvement as soon as the 1st time u applied or does it take time, days for the flushing to diminish at the begining of applying the drops.

Comment

Working...
                                X