Clear All

• rhinophyma

source
    Brady Barrows
    Blog - Join the RRDi

not sure this is something we really need to see

Comment

Hello Melissa

I agree with you because we all know what advanced rhinophyma looks like and if deemed necessary to show people on here, then just the link itself would have been adequate in my opinion. Fortunately rhinophyma is rare and if people are receiving treatment for their rosacea then they shouldn't really worry about developing it.

Thanks

Peter

Comment

Poor man, thats the worst i've ever seen.

Comment

Yes, I think we ought to see photos such as that, as long as the person in the photo is consenting. It can remind us all that things could be much worse

Comment

Originally posted by mattamx View Post
            Yes, I think we ought to see photos such as that, as long as the person in the photo is consenting. It can remind us all that things could be much worse

Good point Matt.

Rob

Comment

BS

agree with you because we all know what advanced rhinophyma looks like and if deemed necessary to show people on here, then just the link itself would have been adequate in my opinion. Fortunately rhinophyma is rare and if people are receiving treatment for their rosacea then they shouldn't really worry about developing it.

=============================

I cannot tell you how offensive your statement "if people aare receiving treatment..." is. I have dealt with rosacea since my 20's and now I am 50. In the last 2 years the rhinophyma has just taken off....not quite as bad as in the picture, but close enough for discomfort. My case is quite assymetric with a protrusion which extends down to my upper lip. I have tried almost every treatment under the sun for years with no success. I have good periods, I have bad periods, but what I am going through now has NOTHING to do with not paying attention to it. **** happens.

I just came back from a plastic surgeon who does not use lasers...I only got two names in my city of 300,000 for such treatment (the immediate area is 1.3 Million). Yes, I guess it will help, but I still have to fight with the insurance company for 1 to 3 months to get it paid for. No guarrantees for the surgery either. I asked the surgeon how many cases like mine he has done, and he said 10 cases like mine or worse over the past 20 years.

I was hoping there might be a place here where I might find someone who has had such surgery and knows the good points and bad points for such a procedure. What is the difference between using a hot knife, vs laser surgery? I have no idea. Any pointers to a good discussion of the various options, or better yet pointers to surgeons who do a lot of these surgeries would be most appreciated.

I am sorry to be upset, but your comment hit me absolutely the wrong way.

Comment

What was the point in posting that? It is of zero scientific value since that information is readily available in such basic sources as the Wikipedia entry on rosacea (of dubious value but I digress) so was this intended to serve as a stern reminder or scare tactic because frankly I don't see that being the point of this forum.

Comment

Ferntoprof

The comment you are referring to was, I am sure, in no way meant to offend. The point being made was that for most people rhinophyma wont occur.

As for finding info/discussion it might be hard to find as it is not a subject that comes up all that often.

I will see what I can come up with for you.

Regards

Sarah

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for your efforts...my problem is that the plastic surgeon (head, neck, facial, ENT guy) doesn't use lasers in the treatment, and I have no idea what methods have a more successful outcome. I guess I will search the literature to see what is up. I am virtually certain that there is no one in the Cincinnati area that has much experience doing such surgeries. Maybe I should look in Cleveland?

In my thirty years of experience the only thing which has helped are antibiotics, and they only help for a few years to calm down things for a while. All of the other treatments, metrogel, retin-a, etc never did anything except that sometimes the reactions to treatments were worse than the disease (or at least I felt at the time). So I would go for 5 or 10 years and periodically go back to a dermatologist seeing if some new treatment became available. Now, I have no other options except plastic surgery, and it looks like to me that it is only 50% effective, and then only for a while.

If anyone has any experience with such surgeries, I would certainly like to hear it.

Comment

Before-After Surgery.....

Originally posted by femtoprof View Post
                      agree with you because we all know what advanced rhinophyma looks like and if deemed necessary to show people on here, then just the link itself would have been adequate in my opinion. Fortunately rhinophyma is rare and if people are receiving treatment for their rosacea then they shouldn't really worry about developing it.

=============================

I cannot tell you how offensive your statement "if people aare receiving treatment..." is. I have dealt with rosacea since my 20's and now I am 50. In the last 2 years the rhinophyma has just taken off....not quite as bad as in the picture, but close enough for discomfort. My case is quite assymetric with a protrusion which extends down to my upper lip. I have tried almost every treatment under the sun for years with no success. I have good periods, I have bad periods, but what I am going through now has NOTHING to do with not paying attention to it. **** happens.

I just came back from a plastic surgeon who does not use lasers...I only got two names in my city of 300,000 for such treatment (the immediate area is 1.3 Million). Yes, I guess it will help, but I still have to fight with the insurance company for 1 to 3 months to get it paid for. No guarrantees for the surgery either. I asked the surgeon how many cases like mine he has done, and he said 10 cases like mine or worse over the past 20 years.

I was hoping there might be a place here where I might find someone who has had such surgery and knows the good points and bad points for such a procedure. What is the difference between using a hot knife, vs laser surgery? I have no idea. Any pointers to a good discussion of the various options, or better yet pointers to surgeons who do a lot of these surgeries would be most appreciated.

I am sorry to be upset, but your comment hit me absolutely the wrong way.
                      I am now six weeks after surgery. The recovery period was quite a bit more involved than expected, but I am quite pleased with the result. Here are before and after pictures. Note that the before picture which shows the extreme swelling and asymmetry of my nose really only became prominent within a 2 year period. The only treatment I have not taken for rosacea is accutane, so I will try accutane within about 6 months.

If anyone has questions about the surgey, feel free to email me.

before-after.jpg

Comment

Hi Femtoprof,

Your nose looks great! Congrats on a successful procedure and thanks for coming back here to share your happy results!!
                        Best wishes for continued success!

Melissa

Comment

I am now six weeks after surgery. The recovery period was quite a bit more involved than expected, but I am quite pleased with the result. Here are before and after pictures. Note that the before picture which shows the extreme swelling and asymmetry of my nose really only became prominent within a 2 year period. The only treatment I have not taken for rosacea is accutane, so I will try accutane within about 6 months.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]673[/ATTACH]
                          Your nose looks great! Nice of you to post and give other people hope.
                          Best of luck to you,
                          Queta
                          "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
                          Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]673[/ATTACH]
                            Hi Femtoprof,
                            If you are still about on this forum could you please provide more information on the involved recovery period. Am close to going down
                            the same road as you but would like more detail. Also how is your nose almost one year on.

Comment

Working...
                            X