Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having a really awful day- not sure what else to do.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a really awful day- not sure what else to do.

Hi everyone. Thanks for reading my post and spending time giving advice! I am a 28 year old female that began having rosacea symptoms about a year ago. Since then I have been on Metrocream which made my symptoms far worse, Clindamycin topical, Retina, birth control, and I have just started taking oral Doxycycline about a month ago. My symptoms range from mild to moderate, although to me they feel severe. I feel my rosacea has progressed extremely quickly, while a year ago my skin texture was completely normal. Now I have very obvious broken blood vessels covering my face, very thick, bumpy textured red skin on my cheeks and the P&Ps come and go. I am just so frustrated today, as I have started using Finacea gel 15% about three weeks ago and my skin looks the worst it has I think since I was diagnosed. I don't even want to go outside, and I don't know where to turn for help. I'm just so sad that my skin looks so bad after such a short time, and it scares me about how it will look in the future. I feel like I've done so many things to try and help myself and nothing has worked. I definitely flush with hot weather, hot beverages, and embarassment. I have stopped drinking coffee, alcohol, and only try to wear mineral makeup. I've decided to stop using the Finacea gel, as it has made my skin worse than it ever has been. Any other advice? Thank you again so much.

Also, my photos don't really show how bumpy and red my skin is for some reason due to the lighting. IMG-0572.jpgIMG-0567.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg

Originally posted by theskinimin68 View Post
    Hi everyone. Thanks for reading my post and spending time giving advice! I am a 28 year old female that began having rosacea symptoms about a year ago. Since then I have been on Metrocream which made my symptoms far worse, Clindamycin topical, Retina, birth control, and I have just started taking oral Doxycycline about a month ago. My symptoms range from mild to moderate, although to me they feel severe. I feel my rosacea has progressed extremely quickly, while a year ago my skin texture was completely normal. Now I have very obvious broken blood vessels covering my face, very thick, bumpy textured red skin on my cheeks and the P&Ps come and go. I am just so frustrated today, as I have started using Finacea gel 15% about three weeks ago and my skin looks the worst it has I think since I was diagnosed. I don't even want to go outside, and I don't know where to turn for help. I'm just so sad that my skin looks so bad after such a short time, and it scares me about how it will look in the future. I feel like I've done so many things to try and help myself and nothing has worked. I definitely flush with hot weather, hot beverages, and embarassment. I have stopped drinking coffee, alcohol, and only try to wear mineral makeup. I've decided to stop using the Finacea gel, as it has made my skin worse than it ever has been. Any other advice? Thank you again so much.

Also, my photos don't really show how bumpy and red my skin is for some reason due to the lighting. [ATTACH=CONFIG]4928[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4927[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4929[/ATTACH]
    Your situation reminds me a lot of mine when I was diagnosed back in February. While what helped me may or may not help you, I'll go ahead and share:

1. Get a proper trigger tracker (or 2 to cover a 1-month time span) from rosacea.org and seriously track your triggers so that you can remove them from your daily diet/lifestyle. Identifying mine (and there turned out to be a few more than I initially realized just from regular observation) got rid of about 75-80% of the problem. It took me 1 month to identify the bulk of my triggers, but as seasons change I always seem to spot 1-2 more that are seasonal. I figure in about a year's time (which will be up in February 2018) I'll have a confident handle on all my triggers.

2. I know it's tough, but stop wearing makeup. This helped my skin to calm down and relax all day long. It took me about 6 months to get used to my natural look, but now I wouldn't go back for anything! The only "cosmetic" I use now is a little of the "original" Vaseline for lips when they get dry... nothing else.

3. I wash with pure, raw honey only (on my face) 2x per day, and I moisturize with organic aloe vera gel 2x per day (I recommend this brand highly: https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/pr...ra-gel/profile). The brand I recommend here is very gentle, the proper pH for skin, and has minimal ingredients to make it shelf stable.

4. Red light therapy has been a miracle for me! If you haven't given this a shot, definitely try it. It takes a couple of weeks to start to see the improvements, but once you start improving with RLT, it just keeps getting better (I recommend this unit for the light range, portability, and lifetime warranty: https://www.smarterlights.com/The-Pu...p/e-lt-red.htm). I use my unit 2x per day for 5 minutes each session.

The main thing I want you to know though is that while it might not seem like it right now, you can get better. While your regimen of care might turn out to be different than mine, there are lots of options still out there for you to explore. Back in February of this year, I thought my condition was absolutely hopeless. The topicals the doc had put me on prior didn't help, and I was terrified to try any further prescriptions. I thought nothing and no one could help me. But, then I came to this forum and rosacea.org. I did a lot of research, tried a lot of things, and found a path that thankfully seems to be working for me.

Please, feel free to message me any time if you'd like to talk. I know how horrible this situation can be.

Wishing you the very best!!!

Comment

Picture of your pustules?

Sounds like Demodectic Rosacea. Get ZZ Cream (best) or Soolantra ASAP and your problems will likely be over.
      How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Comment

I realized today that I have not shared a recent pic of myself in quite some time. I was never brave enough to actually share a pic when I was in full flare and diagnosed back in February 2017, and now I kinda wish I'd been braver and more forthcoming at the time... but it was very difficult for me to look and feel how I was in that space.

Anyway, 7 months later... this is me and the hubby at Yellow River (this pic was taken about 2 weeks ago and is a good indicator of my condition because there's lots of light and angles at which to see my skin properly)...

at yellow river.jpg

This is what my skin is like on an average day. If you look very closely, you'll see a couple of bumps/spots at the far edge of my left eyebrow (left in the pic). These are from a bad reaction to strawberries, which took a week to clear properly.

What the pic doesn't show is that I hiked down to the river with a parasol to keep the morning sun off me. I didn't take the parasol into the river because walking into the waters, I found the rocks to be slippery. But, regular sun and heat protections are also a must.

in yellow river.jpg

Many blessings to all!!!

Comment

Thank you for posting your pictures, your skin looks amazing to me, well done. Your hubby is very handsome.

Comment

It defiantly all about the lighting. I have even gone into some dermatologist offices and they have said it doesn't even look as if you have rosacea. Other offices with more different light and they notice it straight away! Majority of my Facebook photos you can not tell as it is from a distance or from different lighting. Which is great! But doesn't show the real imflamation and redness and crap texture until someone sees you in the bad lighting and I get ask if I had been in sun too long or I look tired - which mean you look like crap. So guess it's ok in some lights I looks half ok and others like crap. Half full

Comment

Originally posted by Countrygirl View Post
              Thank you for posting your pictures, your skin looks amazing to me, well done. Your hubby is very handsome.
              Both me and the hubby thank you!

Yes, each day I am so grateful that I seem to be well-managed.

Comment

Originally posted by RaymondS View Post
                It defiantly all about the lighting. I have even gone into some dermatologist offices and they have said it doesn't even look as if you have rosacea. Other offices with more different light and they notice it straight away! Majority of my Facebook photos you can not tell as it is from a distance or from different lighting. Which is great! But doesn't show the real imflamation and redness and crap texture until someone sees you in the bad lighting and I get ask if I had been in sun too long or I look tired - which mean you look like crap. So guess it's ok in some lights I looks half ok and others like crap. Half full
                See, now I am actually having a different experience. I find that in most lighting I tend to look pretty much the same. The only difference would be florescents. They make me look oddly pale. But other than that... my skin color and texture always looks the same to me.

Jenn and Gin.jpg

This pic is in indoor lights (taken a few days ago) while at a cafe with a dear friend, and other than looking paler than I do in full sun... I think I look pretty much the same...

Comment

@JennAdeleK

No offence but all I see are filtered photos taken from afar, so I'm not sure what we are supposed to be looking at or how we are supposed to tell your symptoms have improved by using such photos? In any event, this is @theskinimin68's thread, which has now been taken over. Perhaps start your own thread to share your pictures, etc. so that this one serves its purpose - helping the OP.
                  How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Comment

Originally posted by RedRecluse View Post
                    @JennAdeleK

No offence but all I see are filtered photos taken from afar, so I'm not sure what we are supposed to be looking at or how we are supposed to tell your symptoms have improved by using such photos? In any event, this is @theskinimin68's thread, which has now been taken over. Perhaps start your own thread to share your pictures, etc. so that this one serves its purpose - helping the OP.
                    Excuse me, but I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about. These pics were taken on iPhones by my hubby (who has an older phone, as I do) and my friend and then sent to me for my memory book. While I can't say for sure if they ran a filter over them for light or quality, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the pics haven't been in any way altered by me, nor do they falsely represent what a normal day looks like for me. I'm only trying to help show that healing is possible and for folks not to give up.

It's comments like this that have made me hesitant to share anything personal here in the first place, and I'll confess that seeing a statement like this after the long and very hard struggle I've had with my condition also makes me want to leave the forum. I am only trying to help and to share the journey. I don't need to feel put upon for doing so.

Comment

Hi RR,

This forum is for ALL rosacea sufferers about rosacea and associated skin diseases.
                      It is here for us to express our struggles, search out treatment options, commiserate our our trials, successes, and failures and seek hope for the future.
                      We all come here looking for support, knowledge, new treatment options and to have our questions answered by those who have come here before us.
                      For you to discredit a fellow member on their healing journey is extremely negative and best left to yourself.
                      Maybe it was not the proper place for this particular post, but irregardless, pls keep your negativity to yourself.
                      We are all about supporting each other as we try to obtain better skin health, one day at a time.

I hope you find peace,
                      Bluedog

Comment

Originally posted by JennAdeleK View Post
                        Excuse me, but I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about. These pics were taken on iPhones by my hubby (who has an older phone, as I do) and my friend and then sent to me for my memory book. While I can't say for sure if they ran a filter over them for light or quality, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the pics haven't been in any way altered by me, nor do they falsely represent what a normal day looks like for me. I'm only trying to help show that healing is possible and for folks not to give up.

It's comments like this that have made me hesitant to share anything personal here in the first place, and I'll confess that seeing a statement like this after the long and very hard struggle I've had with my condition also makes me want to leave the forum. I am only trying to help and to share the journey. I don't need to feel put upon for doing so.
                        I'm not denying your personal experience and that your skin must have improved (I've never seen before pics and clear after pics though) and is looking great due to the treatments you've found on your journey. What I'm saying is that it is unclear by the photos you've posted, but more importantly, that this thread has been derailed. The OP is seeking help with their issues and listed symptoms, and we should focus on that, like your first reply did. Well done for having the courage to post pics after all this time of not feeling up for it. I just don't think someone else's thread, where they are desperate for advice, is the right place for it. Please don't take my post the wrong way, it really did not mean to offend. My posts are merely my opinion, and I'm as free to share it as you are yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluedog View Post
                          Hi RR,

This forum is for ALL rosacea sufferers about rosacea and associated skin diseases.
                          It is here for us to express our struggles, search out treatment options, commiserate our our trials, successes, and failures and seek hope for the future.
                          We all come here looking for support, knowledge, new treatment options and to have our questions answered by those who have come here before us.
                          For you to discredit a fellow member on their healing journey is extremely negative and best left to yourself.
                          Maybe it was not the proper place for this particular post, but irregardless, pls keep your negativity to yourself.
                          We are all about supporting each other as we try to obtain better skin health, one day at a time.

I hope you find peace,
                          Bluedog
                          I agree, I have expressed my own struggles at length and supported many people. I did not discredit any fellow member and you have misinterpreted my post. Pointing out that certain posts are off topic is not being negative, it is showing forum etiquette and respect for the OP. I found peace long ago, even when I had Rosacea - thanks though.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRecluse View Post
                            I agree, I have expressed my own struggles at length and supported many people. I did not discredit any fellow member and you have misinterpreted my post. Pointing out that certain posts are off topic is not being negative, it is showing forum etiquette and respect for the OP. I found peace long ago, even when I had Rosacea - thanks though.
                            It is entirely possible that I misinterpreted your post. I will totally own up to that, and if I did, I'm sure that was difficult for you.

I want to reiterate that I was simply sharing pics that had been recently taken (they are the most recent I have) and sent to me for my printed memory book, to show that 7 months into therapy things are going well and that a healing path is possible, as well as unique to the individual. I really wanted to share that on this thread since my rosacea looked almost identical to the posters when I was first diagnosed.

Comfort and caring was the aim and healing is the hope for all...

Many blessings!

Comment

Originally posted by JennAdeleK View Post
                              It is entirely possible that I misinterpreted your post. I will totally own up to that, and if I did, I'm sure that was difficult for you.

I want to reiterate that I was simply sharing pics that had been recently taken (they are the most recent I have) and sent to me for my printed memory book, to show that 7 months into therapy things are going well and that a healing path is possible, as well as unique to the individual. I really wanted to share that on this thread since my rosacea looked almost identical to the posters when I was first diagnosed.

Comfort and caring was the aim and healing is the hope for all...

Many blessings!
                              I'm really happy for you that you're doing so well. I think I also felt similarly to you - having the confidence to post pics again because we have our lives back after having it taken away. It really is a great feeling. Feel free to take a look at my thread to see what I went through. I'd love to see before and after pics of yours to see how much you've improved. It's humbling being able to help others and I'm sorry if my response to you earlier came across harshly.

Comment

Working...
                              X