Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having a really awful day- not sure what else to do.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedRecluse View Post
    I'm really happy for you that you're doing so well. I think I also felt similarly to you - having the confidence to post pics again because we have our lives back after having it taken away. It really is a great feeling. Feel free to take a look at my thread to see what I went through. I'd love to see before and after pics of yours to see how much you've improved. It's humbling being able to help others and I'm sorry if my response to you earlier came across harshly.
    I'm deeply sorry if I jumped to conclusions. I will admit to being a sensitive person.

I will definitely check out your thread when I get back home. Thanks for sharing it!

I am sorry to say, I don't have any before photos taken of me, so I can't share that. I never allowed my pic to be taken when I was going through the worst of it. I was too afraid and upset to go there, which is why I'm always amazed at the bravery of folks who do post pics early on. It's absolutely wonderful that folks are willing to share that. I now wish I had.

As I have pics taken of me in the future going forward, I'll share now and then, when appropriate. Hopefully, the quality will be clearer.

Comment

Originally posted by theskinimin68 View Post
      Hi everyone. Thanks for reading my post and spending time giving advice! I am a 28 year old female that began having rosacea symptoms about a year ago. Since then I have been on Metrocream which made my symptoms far worse, Clindamycin topical, Retina, birth control, and I have just started taking oral Doxycycline about a month ago. My symptoms range from mild to moderate, although to me they feel severe. I feel my rosacea has progressed extremely quickly, while a year ago my skin texture was completely normal. Now I have very obvious broken blood vessels covering my face, very thick, bumpy textured red skin on my cheeks and the P&Ps come and go. I am just so frustrated today, as I have started using Finacea gel 15% about three weeks ago and my skin looks the worst it has I think since I was diagnosed. I don't even want to go outside, and I don't know where to turn for help. I'm just so sad that my skin looks so bad after such a short time, and it scares me about how it will look in the future. I feel like I've done so many things to try and help myself and nothing has worked. I definitely flush with hot weather, hot beverages, and embarassment. I have stopped drinking coffee, alcohol, and only try to wear mineral makeup. I've decided to stop using the Finacea gel, as it has made my skin worse than it ever has been. Any other advice? Thank you again so much.

Also, my photos don't really show how bumpy and red my skin is for some reason due to the lighting. [ATTACH=CONFIG]4928[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4927[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]4929[/ATTACH]
      Your skin texture is the same as mine, due to inflammation-if Finacea and metrocream don't work then you should give Soolantra a try. What's your skin care regime?

Comment

Glad the harsh words were softened here. It happens a lot that original posts are serving as a starting point for different discussions and angles.. It is not always nice for the OP, but very very often, the OP never comes back on the comments that were given by others, and then it is just the natural flow of conversation that makes the topic continue, instead of bleed dry.
        JennAdeleK, thank you for sharing your pictures, NOT many members here have the guts to do that and especially not in an identifiable way. It was great seeing and reading how you managed to improve your skin and it reminded me also to restart my own red light attempts, so thanks for bringing red light therapy and your success with it up.

You need thick skin to be on forums in general, and this one in particular. But most people are empathetic, nice and such deep down. We all have bad days and ****ty moods sometimes, so not everyone lashing out actually means it or still stands behind it the next day. I know I have been ratty at times here and then regretted it the next day. Leaving a forum like this because of these things is the easy way out, but by sharing your successes and struggles, you help a lot of people, many lurking in the background and reading. These forums are a wonderful database in itself and yeh, sometimes discussions are sharp here but people do speak their minds. Thanks for your contributions everybody!
        My rosacea related blog: http://scarletnat.blogspot.com/2012/...edication.html

Comment

Originally posted by nat007 View Post
          Glad the harsh words were softened here. It happens a lot that original posts are serving as a starting point for different discussions and angles.. It is not always nice for the OP, but very very often, the OP never comes back on the comments that were given by others, and then it is just the natural flow of conversation that makes the topic continue, instead of bleed dry.
          JennAdeleK, thank you for sharing your pictures, NOT many members here have the guts to do that and especially not in an identifiable way. It was great seeing and reading how you managed to improve your skin and it reminded me also to restart my own red light attempts, so thanks for bringing red light therapy and your success with it up.

You need thick skin to be on forums in general, and this one in particular. But most people are empathetic, nice and such deep down. We all have bad days and ****ty moods sometimes, so not everyone lashing out actually means it or still stands behind it the next day. I know I have been ratty at times here and then regretted it the next day. Leaving a forum like this because of these things is the easy way out, but by sharing your successes and struggles, you help a lot of people, many lurking in the background and reading. These forums are a wonderful database in itself and yeh, sometimes discussions are sharp here but people do speak their minds. Thanks for your contributions everybody!
          Thank you so much for putting this entire experience into a good perspective. I really appreciate it! Because of some things in my own personal past (having nothing to do with rosacea, so I won't go into it), I have this sort of reflex action to withdraw from conflict, or what I might perceive as conflict. It's something I'm working on within myself, but its definitely still a work in progress.

I find your words very balanced and healing...

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Countrygirl View Post
            Your skin texture is the same as mine, due to inflammation-if Finacea and metrocream don't work then you should give Soolantra a try. What's your skin care regime?
            I've been changing it so much lately trying new things but nothing seems to work. I wash am and pm with cerave hydrating cleanser and usually just use a tinted moisturizer with spf during the day. At night I'm using clindamycin and zinc then elta md pm therapy moisturizer because it has peptides and rice proteins as well as niacinamide. I'm waiting on an insurance approval for soolantra, and a lot of people have told me it looks like I have a Demodex issue so hopefully that helps! I'm also on oral doxycycline which hasn't seemed to help at all. What about you?

Comment

Originally posted by JennAdeleK View Post
              Your situation reminds me a lot of mine when I was diagnosed back in February. While what helped me may or may not help you, I'll go ahead and share:

1. Get a proper trigger tracker (or 2 to cover a 1-month time span) from rosacea.org and seriously track your triggers so that you can remove them from your daily diet/lifestyle. Identifying mine (and there turned out to be a few more than I initially realized just from regular observation) got rid of about 75-80% of the problem. It took me 1 month to identify the bulk of my triggers, but as seasons change I always seem to spot 1-2 more that are seasonal. I figure in about a year's time (which will be up in February 2018) I'll have a confident handle on all my triggers.

2. I know it's tough, but stop wearing makeup. This helped my skin to calm down and relax all day long. It took me about 6 months to get used to my natural look, but now I wouldn't go back for anything! The only "cosmetic" I use now is a little of the "original" Vaseline for lips when they get dry... nothing else.

3. I wash with pure, raw honey only (on my face) 2x per day, and I moisturize with organic aloe vera gel 2x per day (I recommend this brand highly: https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/pr...ra-gel/profile). The brand I recommend here is very gentle, the proper pH for skin, and has minimal ingredients to make it shelf stable.

4. Red light therapy has been a miracle for me! If you haven't given this a shot, definitely try it. It takes a couple of weeks to start to see the improvements, but once you start improving with RLT, it just keeps getting better (I recommend this unit for the light range, portability, and lifetime warranty: https://www.smarterlights.com/The-Pu...p/e-lt-red.htm). I use my unit 2x per day for 5 minutes each session.

The main thing I want you to know though is that while it might not seem like it right now, you can get better. While your regimen of care might turn out to be different than mine, there are lots of options still out there for you to explore. Back in February of this year, I thought my condition was absolutely hopeless. The topicals the doc had put me on prior didn't help, and I was terrified to try any further prescriptions. I thought nothing and no one could help me. But, then I came to this forum and rosacea.org. I did a lot of research, tried a lot of things, and found a path that thankfully seems to be working for me.

Please, feel free to message me any time if you'd like to talk. I know how horrible this situation can be.

Wishing you the very best!!!
              Thank you! I've read about red light therapy, I don't think I can afford that at this point but it's something to save up for. I'm currently waiting for my insurance to approve soolantra and I'm really hoping that will help. This disease is so complicated and frustrated and sometimes it's hard to remember that it's not your fault and it's not a result of something you did wrong. Life is just hard sometimes and loving yourself can be a real challenge. I have really bad days where I don't know if I can make it through this especially because it is very isolating. No one really understands who hasn't gone through it so this forum is really helpful to know I'm not alone and it can and probably will get better. Thanks for the perspective!

Comment

Thank you! I've read about red light therapy, I don't think I can afford that at this point but it's something to save up for. I'm currently waiting for my insurance to approve soolantra and I'm really hoping that will help. This disease is so complicated and frustrated and sometimes it's hard to remember that it's not your fault and it's not a result of something you did wrong. Life is just hard sometimes and loving yourself can be a real challenge. I have really bad days where I don't know if I can make it through this especially because it is very isolating. No one really understands who hasn't gone through it so this forum is really helpful to know I'm not alone and it can and probably will get better. Thanks for the perspective!
                Hope the soolantra works for you! Could you plz update the effectiveness of soolantra on you and your condition in the coming future? Cause I also have the similar skin texture and redness... wonder if it could help~

Comment

Originally posted by Rukawa View Post
                  Hope the soolantra works for you! Could you plz update the effectiveness of soolantra on you and your condition in the coming future? Cause I also have the similar skin texture and redness... wonder if it could help~
                  I did some reading on demodex mites infestation and it sounds exactly like my skin!! Apparently they cause the bumpy skin texture and enlarged pores and your body's immune system causes the swelling. Here are some links with good information

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.drb...se-rosacea/amp

http://www.demodexsolutions.com/

I just started my soolantra tonight so I will keep you updated!! My insurance did not cover it so it would have been super expensive so just google soolantra coupon and with that it was only 75 which is less than I paid for finacea.

Comment

I did some reading on demodex mites infestation and it sounds exactly like my skin!! Apparently they cause the bumpy skin texture and enlarged pores and your body's immune system causes the swelling. Here are some links with good information

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.drb...se-rosacea/amp

http://www.demodexsolutions.com/

I just started my soolantra tonight so I will keep you updated!! My insurance did not cover it so it would have been super expensive so just google soolantra coupon and with that it was only 75 which is less than I paid for finacea.
                    Good luck!

For info, more specifically - http://www.demodexsolutions.com/all_about_demodex.asp.
                    How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Comment

I've been changing it so much lately trying new things but nothing seems to work. I wash am and pm with cerave hydrating cleanser and usually just use a tinted moisturizer with spf during the day. At night I'm using clindamycin and zinc then elta md pm therapy moisturizer because it has peptides and rice proteins as well as niacinamide. I'm waiting on an insurance approval for soolantra, and a lot of people have told me it looks like I have a Demodex issue so hopefully that helps! I'm also on oral doxycycline which hasn't seemed to help at all. What about you?
                      I tried doxycycline for three months, didn't help at all. Soolantra may work well for you, it can help the inflammation which causes large pores etc...I did try it, but it didn't work for me. My rosacea is vascular in nature and i'm not totally convinced on the Demodex issue. Personally, i think getting the right skin care regime is key to Rosacea, the hard part is finding the right one.

Comment

I tried doxycycline for three months, didn't help at all. Soolantra may work well for you, it can help the inflammation which causes large pores etc...I did try it, but it didn't work for me. My rosacea is vascular in nature and i'm not totally convinced on the Demodex issue. Personally, i think getting the right skin care regime is key to Rosacea, the hard part is finding the right one.
                        The general rule of thumb is that no pustules means no Demodex Mites.

Nine out of ten times, Demodex will not be the cause of Vascular (non pustular) Rosacea. However 'Vascular Rosacea' (redness) is obviously one of the symptoms of Demodectic Rosacea, alongside the telltale pustules, pastules, etc.

So yes, considering in your specific case that your Rosacea is vascular and non pustular, you are right that Demodex Mites are not the cause of your problem.

For these reasons, it is important to distinguish Rosacea into its two types: Demodectic and Vascular which are both under the Rosacea umbrella.
                        How I was cured from Demodectic / Demodex Rosacea (Types 1 & 2 & nearing 3), Seborrhoeic Dermatitis and Eczema

Got a smartphone? Then please post a non-revealing pic of your face/skin to www.imgur.com, instead of using walls of text to describe it to us. It may be the best thing you've ever done!

Comment

Nine out of ten times, Demodex will not be the cause of Vascular (non pustular) Rosacea. However 'Vascular Rosacea' (redness) is obviously one of the symptoms of Demodectic Rosacea, alongside the telltale pustules, pastules, etc.

So yes, considering in your specific case that your Rosacea is vascular and non pustular, you are right that Demodex Mites are not the cause of your problem.

For these reasons, it is important to distinguish Rosacea into its two types: Demodectic and Vascular which are both under the Rosacea umbrella.
                          Not sure if I agree with you Redrecluse, I do have pustules and pastules, along with flushing red skin, prof Chu dismissed demodex and said that Soolantra works for some due to its anti inflammatory abilities. It is not known what causes Rosacea, just different theories. My pustules and pastules are a result of flushing and inflammation, ie after a year of extreme flushing I have now developed spots.

so under your general rule of thumb , I started with vascular Rosacea and ended with demodex Rosacea.

Comment

Not sure if I agree with you Redrecluse, I do have pustules and pastules, along with flushing red skin, prof Chu dismissed demodex and said that Soolantra works for some due to its anti inflammatory abilities. It is not known what causes Rosacea, just different theories. My pustules and pastules are a result of flushing and inflammation, ie after a year of extreme flushing I have now developed spots.

so under your general rule of thumb , I started with vascular Rosacea and ended with demodex Rosacea.
                            That's exactly how mine started.

I suggest you read through this page - http://www.demodexsolutions.com/?all....asp~mainFrame. You'll be able to compare the information to your issues.

Considering Soolantra hasn't worked for you, if the above info is in line with your issues, you should move on to trying ZZ Cream.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...y=demodex+mite
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFUz9JEW3Bo

Also, I can't recall if you've posted pics before?

Comment

Hi Countrygirl,

I want to chime in, in case it will be helpful. I have sub-type 1 rosacea that I believe created an environment for demodex to thrive. One theory, is that the constant redness and flushing creates a warm environment for those buggers to proliferate. Now that I have been on Soolantra for almost 8 weeks, I do not breakout in pustules anymore after I flush. Also, my skin has been less red and burning overall. I still flush, but I do believe my skin barrier is healing now and my flushing threshold is much higher. I am under no impression that my subtype 1 symptoms will go away, but I have been very happy with Soolantra as far as diminishing my pustules, dry, flaky skin and it has definitely helped with the constant burning I was experiencing.

M.

Comment

Honestly I think I have both. It started with enlarged pores and pustules but has progressed to flushing and dilated blood vessels. I am hoping to first get the bumpy rough texture of my skin under control then tackle the redness and vessels. It seems that part is much harder to control. I am still working out my triggers and that has been a really tough challenge, as pretty much anything can cause a flare up in different people. Maybe eventually I'll consider laser to help with the vessels but right now that's the last thing I'm worried about and it's risky and expensive. I also agree skin care is huge and I'm still tweaking that as well. Good luck to everyone and thanks for all the help!

Comment

Working...
                                X