Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have such a big red nose

https://i.redd.it/kvqnvuoq6sdy.jpg

I'm not sure what to do, it is making my life so hard. I try to just ignore it and listen to my friends when they say it isn't a big deal and barely noticable but deep inside I think I know that it is pretty bad. A lot of people when they first see me touch their nose. I also hate how when I am hanging out I can never be sure whats going to happen and sometimes I can feel it throbbing when it is flaring up super bad.
    I recently had a mushroom experience that made me look in the mirror and really see myself and it has ruined my self esteem completely. I try to sleep most of the day now and have a hard time motivating myself to go to work and hang out with friends. I broke up with my girlfriend (so lucky to even have one) because I didn't feel comfortable in a relationship knowing that I was so weird looking and it was driving me so mad and I was so not comfortable with myself when my girlfriend was so awesome.
    I have tried a lot of different things and spend a huge portion of my day (maybe 80-90%) looking for things to possibly cure or help it and trying to find other people in similar situations to feel a little bit more accepted and in place.
    I feel so out of place and so unfit for society and this world. I really want to go back to not really thinking about it and having hobbies and being funny and close to my friends, but lately I just can't seem to get my mind off how horrendously huge and crimson my snout is. Like I could take it being super big, or super red but having both is just super super difficult to deal with.
    Here are some of things I have tried:
    -Cutting out dairy and caffeine and wheat -Exercise
    -Moistuirizing (currently using Cerave)
    -Not washing for a period of time
    -Taking colder showers
    -Zinc soap
    -Tea tree oil
    -Activated Charcoal
    -Hemp oil
    -Coconut oil
    -Topical steroids
    -Benzoyl peroxide
    -Satalyic Acid
    -Head and shoulders shampoo on da face
    Anyways, sorry for the rant. Just looking for someone to hear me out super deeply, I try to open up to my friends but they usually are quick to say something like "oh its not so bad" or like "well you are your harshest critic!" but then its like, I can look in the mirror and see it and its pretty bad.

Originally posted by sebastian97 View Post

I'm not sure what to do, it is making my life so hard. I try to just ignore it and listen to my friends when they say it isn't a big deal and barely noticable but deep inside I think I know that it is pretty bad. A lot of people when they first see me touch their nose. I also hate how when I am hanging out I can never be sure whats going to happen and sometimes I can feel it throbbing when it is flaring up super bad.
    I recently had a mushroom experience that made me look in the mirror and really see myself and it has ruined my self esteem completely. I try to sleep most of the day now and have a hard time motivating myself to go to work and hang out with friends. I broke up with my girlfriend (so lucky to even have one) because I didn't feel comfortable in a relationship knowing that I was so weird looking and it was driving me so mad and I was so not comfortable with myself when my girlfriend was so awesome.
    I have tried a lot of different things and spend a huge portion of my day (maybe 80-90%) looking for things to possibly cure or help it and trying to find other people in similar situations to feel a little bit more accepted and in place.
    I feel so out of place and so unfit for society and this world. I really want to go back to not really thinking about it and having hobbies and being funny and close to my friends, but lately I just can't seem to get my mind off how horrendously huge and crimson my snout is. Like I could take it being super big, or super red but having both is just super super difficult to deal with.
    -Taking colder showers
    -Zinc soap
    -Tea tree oil
    -Activated Charcoal
    -Hemp oil
    -Coconut oil
    -Topical steroids
    -Benzoyl peroxide
    -Satalyic Acid
    Anyways, sorry for the rant. Just looking for someone to hear me out super deeply, I try to open up to my friends but they usually are quick to say something like "oh its not so bad" or like "well you are your harshest critic!" but then its like, I can look in the mirror and see it and its pretty bad.
    How about going to see a dermatologist? Also, stay away from the steroids.

Comment

Re: Red nose

-Taking colder showers
      -Zinc soap
      -Tea tree oil
      -Activated Charcoal
      -Hemp oil
      -Coconut oil
      -Topical steroids
      -Benzoyl peroxide
      -Satalyic Acid
      Hi Sebastian:
      Have you talked to a Derm about Laser treatments? This looks like the early stages of Rhinophyma. Right now, it looks pretty undetectable but you may want to treat it before it gets any worse. At least, it looks like your nose is the only part of your face that has any redness.

Basically you look fine to me!https://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea.../001_smile.gif

Comment

Your nose per se is not the problem, its color is in some way. Your friends are right, it is not so noticeable. If I were a gay, I would find you an attractive man.
        However as the color seems to be issue (the size of nose is gentically determined) I would just go for laser treatment. You are still lucky to have just redder nose, not whole face.

Comment

I would try laser and metro cream. And I know it seems bad but it actually looks quite mild, which is a good thing! I'd still stay away from sugar and dairy. Also I work in makeup and I've sold tinted moisturizers to men who want a non noticeable coverage.. maybe not your thing but something to consider!

Comment

chin up, man, you look great, and I mean that. As for the red nose, I've had one for the last years as well. I tried Soolantra 6 months ago (containing Ivermectin, for killing demodex), and it made my nose normal again. Good luck

Comment

sebastian,
              Are you still around? We haven't heard from you for nearly a month. What are you doing now to treat your redness?
              Brady Barrows
              Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

Hey wow, thanks for all the support and responses everyone it means so much.

I have seen a dermatologist locally about it, but he didn't even look at my face and was trying to prescribe benzoyl peroxide for acne, when I told him I didn't have acne and needed something for my snout, he prescribed steroid cream and when I told him I had already used it he insisted I tried it. I am going to try and see a dermatologist in a city that will hopefully take a closer look and can tell me about laser treatments.

Lately I have been focusing on not eating grains, dairy, or any added sugars which has been good for my health. I noticed I have pretty bad oral thrush which is linked to candida overgrowth and so I have been working on trying to clear that up as well in case my gut health is linked. I take a strong probiotic, drink a little apple cider vinegar, I take MSM, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Magnesium, Zinc, oil of oregano, grapefruit seed extract, a couple other things as well for helping gut health.

What is interesting is my nose is only slightly red when I first wake up, it is definitely when it looks the best. For some reason though shortly after brushing my teeth and moving around and thinking a bit my nose begins to flush up again and I can usually feel it doing it. It makes me wanna sleep all day honestly just so my face looks clear.

For topicals I tried zinc cream for a little while which didn't seem to help or hurt in any way, and this moisturizer that was made for red irritated skin called Zeoderm Salcura Skin but it made my skin flare up intensely right after using it sadly. If I don't shower my redness calms down a lot but the flakiness from my seb derm goes crazy. I was wondering if I should try some sort of caveman regiment where I don't let water touch my face and see where that goes.

Also really strange is sometimes if im super focused on a video game, working on art, playing an instrument it seems like the flushing goes down a good bit, but this is really hard to maintain because I constantly worry about it and get sad and check in the mirror. I also sometimes feel like theres almost a weird smell coming off the skin on my nose but it's really hard to tell and I don't want to ask my girlfriend to smell my nose for me to make sure . If it is making a weird smell on the skin I wonder if its some sort of fungal rash?

I really wonder if there's someway I can harness whatever happens in my sleep that is causing the flushing to go almost completely away. I try not to think about it most of the time or worry and just be in the moment, but sometimes when I am with my girlfriend and I catch my face too close in the mirror I can get really deeply depressed about how my nose looks.

Seems like soolanta is definitely something worth trying, do I need to go to a dermatologist and ask them to prescribe it to me?

Thank you guys so much, I was so stoked when I saw that I had any replies! I am so amazed at this communities genuine support and care.
                Last edited by sebastian97; 8 March 2017, 09:33 AM.

Comment

I feel bad replying first here, considering the people with the real knowledge are those behind the other replies you have gotten, but I can at least give you my experience:

4 years ago started getting a red nose, much like you describe, best in the morning and worse as day proceeds. First thing was of course to try and fix my diet. God, I was so healthy, but didn't do **** with the redness on my nose. Tried treating it as seborrheic dermatitis, didn't do much. Accutane, didn't do much, maybe even made it more red. Sulphur, made it super, super read. 6 months ago I started spot treating it with Soolantra, and today was the first day at work for a really, really long time with no make-up on the nose (yes, man, straight and make-up). And yes, you need a prescription from your doctor. If you go this route, though, I'd recommend to not just spot treat the nose, but whole face. My eyes has just been a complete mess after starting Soolantra and perioral area has gotten really, really red (Ivermectin in Soolantra kills demodex mite, which some theorize can move all over your face, so when you spot treat, they move to a different place. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, guys!). So the Accutane and sulphur probably made my nose red because of a demodex reaction: what I'm saying is, if you get a reaction, its not maybe a bad thing...

Stay strong!

Comment

Originally posted by rednessator View Post
                    I feel bad replying first here, considering the people with the real knowledge are those behind the other replies you have gotten, but I can at least give you my experience:

4 years ago started getting a red nose, much like you describe, best in the morning and worse as day proceeds. First thing was of course to try and fix my diet. God, I was so healthy, but didn't do **** with the redness on my nose. Tried treating it as seborrheic dermatitis, didn't do much. Accutane, didn't do much, maybe even made it more red. Sulphur, made it super, super read. 6 months ago I started spot treating it with Soolantra, and today was the first day at work for a really, really long time with no make-up on the nose (yes, man, straight and make-up). And yes, you need a prescription from your doctor. If you go this route, though, I'd recommend to not just spot treat the nose, but whole face. My eyes has just been a complete mess after starting Soolantra and perioral area has gotten really, really red (Ivermectin in Soolantra kills demodex mite, which some theorize can move all over your face, so when you spot treat, they move to a different place. Please correct me if I'm wrong here, guys!). So the Accutane and sulphur probably made my nose red because of a demodex reaction: what I'm saying is, if you get a reaction, its not maybe a bad thing...

Stay strong!
                    Good advice, and yes you are correct

Comment

For covering up, I would suggest trying Garnier BB Cream (Light/Clear). I'm a young male with a red nose also similar to yours (albeit just the bridge at the moment) and I'm finding it works well for masking it. I tend to use it after rubbing in Eucerin Anti-Redness first (on a clean face, after a shower or wash). I call it 'tinted moisturiser' rather than make-up

The reports on Soolantra in this thread sound good, I need to ask my GP for it. For those it has helped - does it even shrink or lighten visible blood vessels?

Comment

Remember that Soolantra is not miracle - it will work if your problem is related to the demodex. If your redness is caused by other things (like in my case) it won't help you out but neither would damage you.
                        It is great drug anyway.

Comment

I think you should also try Zhongzhou Zinc oxide and sublimed sulfur ointment. This is good for my nose.

demodexsolutions.com/zhongzhou-zinc-oxide-and-sublimed-sulfur-ointment-zz-cream.asp

Lasers - with this I had to be very careful I had a slight improvement when I used the light settings. When I used stronger laser settings it was worse!

The best that helped me;
                          Soolantra - was improving but I do not know why with long usage I had a worsening.
                          Zhongzhou Zinc oxide and sublimed sulfur ointment
                          Light laser settings - only light settings (strong do worsen on my nose).

I use soap - sonett soap neutral - I think it is also good.
                          Last edited by przemek; 13 April 2017, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Demodex Solutions has just released a trial version of a ZZ like cream designed to help those who have dry skin. If you want to be part of this trial and receive samples shipped to your address at no charge, please read this post and follow the directions. The RRDi is please to be part of this trial sponsored by Demodex Solutions.
                            Brady Barrows
                            Blog - Join the RRDi

Comment

-Taking colder showers
                              -Zinc soap
                              -Tea tree oil
                              -Activated Charcoal
                              -Hemp oil
                              -Coconut oil
                              -Topical steroids
                              -Benzoyl peroxide
                              -Satalyic Acid
                              Hello,

I just want you to know that you and I have a very similar issue. My rosacea started out on my nose and it basically looks exactly like yours. I was 12 years old, and I remember how kids in my class used to ask me why my nose looked sun burnt all the time. I brushed it off as nothing at first, but one day I really looked at myself in the mirror and realized they were right. So I asked my mom to take me to a dermatologist. I was pretty sure it was rosacea, but since I was so young, my derm refused to consider the possibility. I was tested for lupus multiple times, all of which came back negative. So my derm shrugged and basically said, "Okay. I still don't think it's rosacea, but we'll go with that for now." (He had no freaking clue what he was about.) He gave me antibiotics and Noritate cream, neither of which did anything (shocker). It was then that I realized my problem was not typical, and this really upset me. Being a teenager is tough enough as it is. I remember wishing so badly that I had any other skin problem, even severe acne. Because even THAT would be easier to treat. Anyway, after the "treatments" my derm gave me did nothing, he looked at me and said there was nothing he could do to help me. Again, this was really hard for me, but over time I grew to accept it, and I've been hiding my nose behind makeup ever since then. It's still just as pink and flushy as ever; hasn't changed a bit in over 10 years. Unfortunately, my rosacea has actually gotten worse in recent days, spreading a bit to my cheeks, but that's mostly due to poor decisions that I've made regarding skincare. (I used Mirvaso, the devil's work. Stay away from it!)

But...I digress.

As I said, your condition appears to be like mine; I too get that "throbbing" sensation sometimes, where my nose is super swollen and feels like it's on fire (and is bright red, of course). Some days it's pretty calm, and you wouldn't even think I have a problem. My main trigger is walking into a warm room after being cold for a long time. Also, when I tried Mirvaso about 8 months ago (one of the dumbest mistakes of my life) the redness on my nose completely disappeared for about 12 hours after I applied it. No other cream has given me any relief from my problem whatsoever, and believe me, I've tried MANY.

Given all this, it couldn't be more clear to me that my condition is vascular, and therefore, likely the only thing that will help is lasers. I'm going in for a consultation with a highly reputable dermatologist here in my home state that specializes in lasers, particularly the VBeam. After months and months of long, hard thought (and heavy research, of course) I've decided that VBeam is something I want to try on my nose.

My nose flushing/redness has been my biggest insecurity for well over a decade, and now that I am an adult and I have the money to put into this sort of thing, I've decided I'm going to do it.

Of course, I don't expect miracles; I know that there is no cure for rosacea. I'm just hoping the VBeam will at least give me some improvement. Even a little less flushing/redness on my nose would be huge for me. And if it doesn't do anything? Well, at least I can say that I tried literally everything I could.

You'll definitely want to consult a good dermatologist and see what he/she suggests you do, emphasis on the word "good." Look for someone who has experience dealing with rosacea. Even if you have to drive a couple hours to reach that derm (like I do) it'll be worth it. Because let me tell you, I've had some really crappy derms over the years.

In the meantime, I suggest wearing a small amount of makeup on your nose. Since you're a guy, I know that probably doesn't sound too fun, but...just hear me out. I can give you lots of tips! (Seriously, I'm a pro at this by now.) Go out and buy either a yellow or green primer. Personally, I suggest green, as it is opposite of red on the color wheel and, therefore, will work best at cancelling out some of the redness. I LOVE L'oreal Magic Anti-Redness Correcting Primer. You can buy it at pretty much any drugstore for about 12 bucks. (Or you can get it on Amazon, I'm sure.) This stuff is seriously magic, and a little bit goes a long way. Given the look of your pictures, the most you'll need is a VERY small dot--not even pea-sized. Then you blend it into the affected area. Make sure you blend well, of course, as you don't want your skin looking green. XD I will say that some people might find this stuff somewhat drying, but since I have oily skin it works perfectly for me. Just a forewarning, in case your skin is on the drier side!

Anyway. After that, you'll just need probably a minimum to medium coverage foundation. Like my nose, yours isn't anywhere near red enough to need maximum coverage. (Though during a flush the redness might start to peek through a bit.) I recommend Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue Tinted Hydrating Gel. (I know, quite a mouthful.) This stuff is seriously so great. It's sheer, but it can be layered on for more coverage, and the best part is that you can't even freaking tell you're wearing makeup. And there's no bizarre fragrance, which is also a plus (I've found over the years that some makeup smells really funky).For more coverage I use L'Oreal True Match Lumi Makeup. This stuff is great too and, when well-blended, isn't noticeable either.

Again, I know the thought of wearing makeup as a guy probably isn't very appealing (it's not even really appealing to me as a girl; I absolutely hate that I have to do it) but once you get the hang of it, it will boost your confidence big time. It did me, anyway, once I learned how to properly apply it and make it so that it wasn't noticeable.

Wow. Long post. I really hope you do end up finding something that helps you. Feel free to PM me if you have questions or if you just want to talk about it. I've hated my nose for 14 years. Trust me...I get exactly what you're going through.

Best,
                              Katie
                              Last edited by kfranke; 20 August 2017, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X