Red inflammation, followed by boil, followed by oozing sebum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red inflammation, followed by boil, followed by oozing sebum

I am posting these pictures in the hopes of gaining some of your insights. Problem began when I was in high school, over 20 years ago. One day I was very stressed and literally felt a tingling between my eyes. My skin became very inflamed there, a boil or pimple rose. It wept translucent-yellow sebum until it built up a very noticeable solid mountain on my face. If I removed it, the process started all over again so I learned to leave it alone. After the crust hardens, it takes about a day for it to start diminishing. Usually a shower the next day is what starts shrinking the crust until I can finally remove it and my skin begins to slowly heal and lose redness. I also get these in my eyelids very frequently from looking at cell phones or computers, or any times I focus a lot such as in reading a book.

Over the past 20 years, I've been to countless doctors. Bioposies, etc. I've spent a lot of time researching skin. What I have most resembles impetigo when I search pictures online. Only it is not impetigo because it just sort of laughs at all the different antibiotics I've taken and topical agents I've used. Over time, I've learned to eliminate trigger foods (many of which are listed as rosacea triggers on rosacea.org) like chocolate, sugar, yogurt, alcohol, etc. Other triggers like radiant heat from heaters or even sitting in a bathtub, I've also nixed.

I'm pushing along in my life, but this condition has stripped me of all joy. Every day I am more or less bracing for the next outbreak. Doctors have all told me different things. Psoraisis. Seb dem. Rosacea. Maybe occular rosacea. But nothing works on it and I've rarely made it past two weeks without an outbreak.

I would love to hear some of your insights. The two pictures I'm including show the most frequent spot. Whatever this condition is, it defintely loves the area between me eyebrows. Also, even when I'm not having an outbreak, this spot tends to glow red after taking a shower. (Yes, very lukewarm shower- I'm done with hot triggers!)

feb 22 #2.jpgfeb 23 #1.JPG

Hi Mesh, Have you and Col interacted yet on a thread? If not, you might PM him/track him down on another thread. He's mentioned problems with yellow crusting and a doc I believe diagnosed him with impetigo. I think he was able to get past it, so he might have some good tips for you.

The redness post shower looks like a flush or "hot spot." I used to get those. Almost a flat, red hive-Iike quarter-size spot of inflammation on the face. Ugh. Have you tried antihistamines? I take one every day about 30 minutes before I take a shower. (I use prescription Xyzal - levocetirizine - but I've also used the OTC Zyrtec, 2 tablets). It helps eliminate/lower my flushing post shower. And since it's a 24-hr tablet, it helps with other histamine issues (food, etc) throughout the day.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by hg24 View Post
      Hi Mesh, Have you and Col interacted yet on a thread? If not, you might PM him/track him down on another thread. He's mentioned problems with yellow crusting and a doc I believe diagnosed him with impetigo. I think he was able to get past it, so he might have some good tips for you.

The redness post shower looks like a flush or "hot spot." I used to get those. Almost a flat, red hive-Iike quarter-size spot of inflammation on the face. Ugh. Have you tried antihistamines? I take one every day about 30 minutes before I take a shower. (I use prescription Xyzal - levocetirizine - but I've also used the OTC Zyrtec, 2 tablets). It helps eliminate/lower my flushing post shower. And since it's a 24-hr tablet, it helps with other histamine issues (food, etc) throughout the day.

Hope this helps.
      Hi Hg, yes we've connected and have been sharing ideas and trying to see whether we have some common patterns. I don't think I'm rid of the yellow crusting yet. The TTO/coconut oil treatment is definitely improving things. I'm getting less and smaller pustules but my skin is quite red. I saw a photo of mine from November and I look pretty clear in it. Things kicked off when I went to the derm in April and started on her topical. I was concerned that without treatment things would worsen but the opposite happened. I also got quite slack on diet and the spring and summer seem to be worse for me. I've found that a combination of things help: diet, yoga, sleep, relaxation, positive thinking and natural topicals. Antibiotics, steroids and anti fungals seem to make things worse. I used some topicals from Bodygoodies which were great. She's a really amazing woman who has some great products.

Comment

Hope this helps.
        Yep, Col and I are in contact. We're building an army to fight the yellow ooze.
        That's an interesting take on the antihistamine. It's funny how you go to 50 doctors, yet you get better advice and ideas from strangers on the internet! I think I'm going to give it a shot. This is not the only spot on my face where this happens, but it is the most common spot. Its still amazing after hundreds of outbreaks over the decades on that exact spot, I don't have one scar. I guess I am thankful for that.

What turned you on to taking the anti-histamines for the hotspot? And have you just had red inflammation, or also the impetigo-like symptoms that come after the reddening? How are the prescription Xyzal and Zyrtec different for you- and what are the side effects, if any?
        Last edited by mesh138; 5 July 2015, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Hi, Funny about the yellow ooze! Col and I have decided to form a new country just for rosaceans. Rosiland - where red lobster either describes our national restaurant chain or our faces. We'll tell fairytales like Little Red Riding Hood. And cheer for the Red Sox at our red roof stadium. Join us!

The antihistamines idea was one that I learned here in this forum. Think it was from Nat007. There are some threads about it if you search "shower and "antihistamines" in the search box.

I have type 1 rosacea - flushing and perm redness. And lately some p&p are returning.

Comment

Hi, Funny about the yellow ooze! Col and I have decided to form a new country just for rosaceans. Rosiland - where red lobster either describes our national restaurant chain or our faces. We'll tell fairytales like Little Red Riding Hood. And cheer for the Red Sox at our red roof stadium. Join us!

The antihistamines idea was one that I learned here in this forum. Think it was from Nat007. There are some threads about it if you search "shower and "antihistamines" in the search box.

I have type 1 rosacea - flushing and perm redness. And lately some p&p are returning.
            Hi lads, sorry for butting in the conversation, would like to know if a blood test would show up any underlying conditions I have on the skin, the reason I ask is I have been taking a antibiotic called efracea and it drove my rosacea mad plus I had a white crust on both sides of my nose, since I stopped taking the antibiotics, both sides of my nose have cleared up and my rosacea has calmed down a bit, still getting red blotches and soreness around my nose and forehead,my dermatologist told me has never seen a reaction before like I got from taking the antibiotic called efracea, so any help would be appreciated thank you, Regards john.

Comment

Hi John, Have you made changes to your diet? Also, forgive me, I'm not sure I remember, do you have seb derm or rosacea or both?

Comment

That's a pretty good close up of an oozer there. Exactly how mine look. Although your surrounding skin looks great.

Comment

Working...
                X