Is this really Rosacea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this really Rosacea?

Is this really rosacea? I feel like I've tried everything and nothing is working. The only thing that I noticed helped were antibiotics which reduced the visibility of the bumps. I only was on the antibiotics for 2 weeks and unfortunately had to stop due to breathing problems. Of course I'm more concerned with the pink skin rather than the the bumps. When I look close at my skin, I am so confused by these maps of slightly pink red skin in so many random places and why there are so many bumps. Is this really rosacea? I feel like I've had a hard time finding pictures of someone with rosacea that looks like my face and I've done a lot of looking for the past year since my skin started looking this way. But maybe rosacea is different for different people...or I'm being misdiagnosed? Please give me your input. Thank you

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/...g/IMG_0101.jpg
    http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/...g/IMG_0122.jpg
    http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/...g/IMG_0121.jpg

I'd appreciate some replies if someone could tell me if they think this is rosacea.

Comment

have you researched Keratosis pilaris?

you should visit a dermatologist for an expert opinion

Comment

Originally posted by shampoo View Post
        have you researched Keratosis pilaris?

you should visit a dermatologist for an expert opinion
        Thank you for your reply! I have researched every possible known skin disease to mankind everyday since my problems began.I have went back and forth between a few things and at one point thought maybe it was keratosis pilaris but am not too sure. I have keratosis pilaris on my arms and legs but it looks much different from my face's bumps. I have toyed with the idea of it being eczema, keratosis, rosacea, fungal/yeast problem on the skin, and even scarring left behind from rashes. I thought maybe they were rashes because I had even worse red skin in the areas that are pink now. The skin was somewhat raised from inflammation kind of like plaques and it felt so rough to touch and even looked like there were indentations on my skin- tons of them along with large open pores and much more bumpy looking skin. The skin at that time felt horrible. It lasted a month or two and it felt like hundreds of bugs crawling on my face constantly, for some time I couldn't even move my face much without pain, my skin felt so rough....it was terrifying. These symptoms were so intense.

I haven't trusted all the derms I went to because they didn't really look at me---I went to 4 and each one immediately told me it was acne rosacea without doing much investigating and looking at my face and really listening to the symptoms I went through. I actually asked the last derm are you sure? and he didn't even seem as sure as I thought he would pretend to be LOL.

So my point is I've given up on derms and I'm trying to find people on the net who've got advice. So do you think my skin looks like rosacea at all? The bumps visible in the photos are not as visible in real life but they seem to photograph pretty decently to really see what's on my face.

Comment

i hear ya on the Derms. they just want to keep you coming back to try new things. i swear MOST DR'S, arent trying to cure people or help them 100%. they make money by us being sick and having issues, not being healthy. Sad Truth. However, you should have a Derm take a skin sample to have sent to a lab for true testing and diagnosis. I have the same as you on my lower cheeks and i have been diagnosed with rosacea by a lab testing

Comment

Originally posted by rcb67 View Post
            i hear ya on the Derms. they just want to keep you coming back to try new things. i swear MOST DR'S, arent trying to cure people or help them 100%. they make money by us being sick and having issues, not being healthy. Sad Truth. However, you should have a Derm take a skin sample to have sent to a lab for true testing and diagnosis. I have the same as you on my lower cheeks and i have been diagnosed with rosacea by a lab testing
            That's what I think as well. It's so unfortunate. I actually think that spas and those people that work there are more willing to help you than a dermatologist who is a doctor! I actually tried twice to get the last derm I went to to give me a prescription paper to go to the lab for testing and he told me it was unnecessary and brushed it off. I thought lab testing couldn't tell you if you had rosacea and that it can only be diagnosed by looking at the skin? He said the only thing I could go to get tested is for fungal which would have been at least one thing I could have ruled out just to make me feel more at ease that I know what's going on.

Maybe you had a biopsy done and not a skin scraping?

Also, you say your skin looks a lot like mine....so you have these little tiny bumps? And a rough strange texture of your skin? Is the pink on your skin in strange maps and blotched areas and is it always there and permanent?

Comment

Originally posted by birdsing View Post
              That's what I think as well. It's so unfortunate. I actually think that spas and those people that work there are more willing to help you than a dermatologist who is a doctor! I actually tried twice to get the last derm I went to to give me a prescription paper to go to the lab for testing and he told me it was unnecessary and brushed it off. I thought lab testing couldn't tell you if you had rosacea and that it can only be diagnosed by looking at the skin? He said the only thing I could go to get tested is for fungal which would have been at least one thing I could have ruled out just to make me feel more at ease that I know what's going on.

Maybe you had a biopsy done and not a skin scraping?

Also, you say your skin looks a lot like mine....so you have these little tiny bumps? And a rough strange texture of your skin? Is the pink on your skin in strange maps and blotched areas and is it always there and permanent?
              It looks a bit like Seborrhoeic dermatitis to me. Did any doctor mention that possibility?

-Dave-

Comment

birdsing,

We're reluctant to diagnose here, since we then run the risk of putting someone's nose out of joint.

IMO derms are worthless. I found my answers through being my own "guinea pig". Sum total distillation available if you follow my signature.

G
                "It's all illusion anyway."

Comment

Originally posted by flying_er View Post
                  It looks a bit like Seborrhoeic dermatitis to me. Did any doctor mention that possibility?

-Dave-
                  No because no doctor really listened to me. I could tell each derm diagnosed me upon first glance and were set on their diagnosis right away without listening to my symptoms and looking closer at my skin. Thank you for telling me what you think. I have thought about it also maybe being seb derm. Can you tell me why you think it looks like it?

I really need to start trying to figure it out myself because no derm has been able to really help me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost View Post
                    birdsing,

We're reluctant to diagnose here, since we then run the risk of putting someone's nose out of joint.

IMO derms are worthless. I found my answers through being my own "guinea pig". Sum total distillation available if you follow my signature.

G
                    I realize that's probably why people are reluctant to respond but I really am open to any ideas and help and thoughts without taking it too seriously. I just have been out of luck with derms and have been experimenting on myself also as you have mentioned with many products and things and now I'm trying to see if people out there have an opinions/thoughts I can take into consideration and new ideas I can try.

I am glad there are people like you who have posted things that worked for them. I am going to look further into your regimen on your profile.

Comment

Enjoy! It looks involved if you've not done any of it. But it's really easy. Note that what worked for me is taking a two-pronged, take no prisoners approach: the topicals and the diet. Topicals alone won't do it. The diet probably would by itself, but it would take much longer. From your photos, the way the rash is evenly distributed on your skin it looks like hair follicle involvement. This is the kind of rosacea with which I am familiar (this and the red lines that often go with it -- it comes from the same source).

It looks from your photos like you might benefit from cutting cow dairy products (something I did not have to do), since that often makes a diff with such inflamed follicles (blame the IGF, insulin growth factor), as well as cutting grains to the bone.

A couple of inexpensive supplements you might not have heard of are chromium picolinate and biotin. These might help (and, of course, the usual clean fish oil, etc.)

G

Comment

Enjoy! It looks involved if you've not done any of it. But it's really easy. Note that what worked for me is taking a two-pronged, take no prisoners approach: the topicals and the diet. Topicals alone won't do it. The diet probably would by itself, but it would take much longer. From your photos, the way the rash is evenly distributed on your skin it looks like hair follicle involvement. This is the kind of rosacea with which I am familiar (this and the red lines that often go with it -- it comes from the same source).

It looks from your photos like you might benefit from cutting cow dairy products (something I did not have to do), since that often makes a diff with such inflamed follicles (blame the IGF, insulin growth factor), as well as cutting grains to the bone.

A couple of inexpensive supplements you might not have heard of are chromium picolinate and biotin. These might help (and, of course, the usual clean fish oil, etc.)

G

Thanks for the ideas on what else I can do, especially internally. I actually cut out cow products already but haven't seen too much improvement. I haven't been able to cut out bread because it's a big part of what I eat. I did cut out pasta though which was a part of my daily meals. I currently started taking zinc 50 mg tablets but it's only been a few days since I began. I am definitely going to start doing the fish oil. I've never heard of chromium picolinate, but have heard of biotin but will look into them.

You know, I have thought a few times that from the way the patterns of the pink were, that it was hair follicle involvement. But wouldn't that mean seb derm? My skin used to feel like intense bugs crawling on my face and like the hair on my face was moving! There is even a patch of white that stayed around a beauty mark mole I have on my face which is what sort of made me think maybe it was a hair follicle thing. The bumps and the rough skin texture slowly spread across my whole face almost. I have rough bumps on my forehead too.

When I use ketoconazole shampoo on my face sometimes, afterwards my skin feels like things are crawling a bit on it whereas normally it doesn't feel that way anymore and hasn't for a while.

One product I noticed made the bumps diminish a bit and the pink raised skin a little flatter was using the this gentle cleanser I found. It helped my skin texture quite a bit. I have been researching the ingredients to see what could be helping. The ingredients are: Water (aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Ophenyl Phenol, Cetrimonium Bromide, Decyl Glucoside, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate

Would you happen to know what Ophenyl Phenol is? I researched it and I think it's a fungicide. And I think Cetrimonium Bromide is an antibacterial disinfectant. So, it makes me wonder if my skin problem is a fungal problem because of the ketoconazole and the cleanser having a common denominator.

I also tried hyrocortizone butyrate ointment (a steroid) at .1% months back and on the second day of using it, I woke up with a light skin patch in an area on my right cheek where the red skin had been. I was nervous to try the ointment again because I wasn't sure if it was a bad thing and bleached my skin and cause hypopigmentation. It's hard to tell because my natural color is so pale. But that area is still somewhat lighter to this day. I find it interesting that the ointment could even change the red color and so quickly. I am debating whether to spot treat and try it again.
                        Last edited by birdsing; 29 December 2011, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Bread is a huge culprit. My advice is dump all grains. I went cold turkey and never looked back. It dawned on me all of a sudden on day last April. It's not that I hadn't heard before that wheat is bad. It just took me a long time to actually understand this. And I did in a flash.

We're told SO many things, after all -- tomatoes are bad, eggplants are bad, oil is bad. And some people are allergic to these things. But grains are quite the common cause of a LOT of pimples/rosacea/dandruff/rashes as well as other ills.

No, never even heard of Ophenyl Phenol. I'd have to look it up. For fungus, which does take advantage of people with lowered immunity, I take herbs (e.g. YeastFREEZE) and I wash with zinc cleansers like Born to Be Mild.

It is a long road to get out of rosacea. But once you hit on your formula the healing seems to take place right before your eyes. That's how it worked with me. And it's so exciting, you SEE it happening, that you just want to speed it along.

I would not use steroids. I'm not sure how they work to kill off bad stuff first. BUT steroids EYE think will help grow mites, just as it helps athletes grow muscle. (And we know it's never a good way to do it. You don't want that stuff on your skin, anyway.)

G

Comment

Bread is a huge culprit. My advice is dump all grains. I went cold turkey and never looked back. It dawned on me all of a sudden on day last April. It's not that I hadn't heard before that wheat is bad. It just took me a long time to actually understand this. And I did in a flash.

We're told SO many things, after all -- tomatoes are bad, eggplants are bad, oil is bad. And some people are allergic to these things. But grains are quite the common cause of a LOT of pimples/rosacea/dandruff/rashes as well as other ills.

No, never even heard of Ophenyl Phenol. I'd have to look it up. For fungus, which does take advantage of people with lowered immunity, I take herbs (e.g. YeastFREEZE) and I wash with zinc cleansers like Born to Be Mild.

It is a long road to get out of rosacea. But once you hit on your formula the healing seems to take place right before your eyes. That's how it worked with me. And it's so exciting, you SEE it happening, that you just want to speed it along.

I would not use steroids. I'm not sure how they work to kill off bad stuff first. BUT steroids EYE think will help grow mites, just as it helps athletes grow muscle. (And we know it's never a good way to do it. You don't want that stuff on your skin, anyway.)

G
                            I already started yesterday with the no grains to try it out and see how it goes maybe for a month or so. Man, this is hard! I had to have eggs alone this morning and just veggies and mashed potatoes last night. Not sure what I can eat on this diet since I mainly ate carbs and cheese. I don't eat meat too. I'm gonna have to look into foods for this low carb, no grain, no dairy diet.

You say for fungus you wash with a zinc cleanser...would taking zinc internally at 50mg be a good idea? I just started zinc tablets a few days ago. Haven't seen any changes though.

I guess I may try some other things first before totally resorting to the steroids.

I am beginning to think if by some chance it's not seb derm, it might be keratosis pilaris since I was checking out the kprf forum the other day looking at people posting photos of their kprf which looks a lot more like my skin I think, but I am not entirely sure. And since I agree with you that my problem looks like it might have some sort of hair follicle involvement, then it might make sense since kprf is a problem with hair follicles and overproduction of keratin. I also am thinking if I already have kprf on my legs and noticed I had it spread a little on my arms this year....then maybe it somehow got to my face. I just have no idea how to lower my production of keratin in the body which is what I would essentially like to do....take supplements and anything else I can do internally besides diet in order to deal with kprf from the inside as well as out.

I am wondering....have you ever tried tea tree oil Ghost? How did it work for you if you did? I bought tea tree oil from here in the usa by the JASON company and it was definitely not good tea tree oil. It had a gel consistency which pure tea tree oil does not have. My uncle used to bring me tea tree oil from europe and it is a very drying, dissolvable liquid. As soon as it is rubbed into skin, it dissolves and it has a super drying effect to the point that skin flakes extremely. I ran out and have been looking for a way to get some from europe or from here but don't know where to look. The oil here in the usa did nothing like what tea tree oil should do. It felt like a gel consistency and even hours after application when I washed my face, I could feel the gel come off which is not normal of real tea tree oil. Would you know of a tea tree oil that has the components of the real, pure stuff I am talking about that I can purchase?

Comment

Originally posted by birdsing View Post
                              No because no doctor really listened to me. I could tell each derm diagnosed me upon first glance and were set on their diagnosis right away without listening to my symptoms and looking closer at my skin. Thank you for telling me what you think. I have thought about it also maybe being seb derm. Can you tell me why you think it looks like it?

I really need to start trying to figure it out myself because no derm has been able to really help me.
                              I don't have any great experience in this area but it looks like photos I've seen of Seb Derm. There's a number of threads on this site on that subject and some have pictures. You could also do a google image search and look at some photos.

Here's an image ->
                              http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...=0&FORM=IDFRIR

-Dave-

Comment

Working...
                              X