Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I definately think they need to concentrate on the stomach/gut for a solution. Remember that article of the guy who was treated with high fibre to speed up gut transit time and his rosacea went? ok, so it came back big time, but still it shows the key is in the gut... ourgh, flashbacks of the scene from 'Saw' :-&

Comment

Hi all,

I just would like to clear up a few things about Crohn's disease and other Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) conditions and their relationship to Rosacea.

IBD is a broad term that covers many symptoms and conditions such as Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis (UC- which I have been diagnosed with). These conditions can be seen as a scale from mild to severe, ranging from the undiagnosable to the unbearable. The boundaries between the conditions involved overlap quite a bit.

A person may suffer from IBD but never need to be diagnosed as it will never be severe enough. IBD originates in the gut or gastrointestinal (GI) tract. (Wikipedia : The digestive tract is the system of organs within multicellular animals that takes in food, digests it to extract energy and nutrients, and expels the remaining waste. The major functions of the GI tract are ingestion, digestion, absorption, and defecation.)

I have noticed many people around me complaining of stomach issues that can more than likely be counted under the broad heading of IBD. I am not suggesting that everyone with an IBD-related complaint has rosacea, but for for those that do, this may be their most fundamental and persistant trigger.

Imagine this appealing scenario. A person with constipation (a complication many people with IBD are familiar with) trying to relieve themselves. Where do you think the strain is most noticeable from the outside? That's right, the face. Now imagine what damage a compromised GI will do to your Rosacea over a lifetime. Remember also from the study I posted on the last page that IBD is a "chronic inflammatory situation" that can "start soiling into your blood and immune system". At the risk of being condescending: sound familiar?

Take me as a classic case study of someone with IBD and Rosacea. I am 23yo. I flush now sometimes for example as a reaction to drinking on big nights with friends. This can be undoubtedly traced to a) alcohol and b) nerves. Classic rosacea right? Not so quick. Before I 'grew into' rosacea, I experienced different reactions to these exact triggers for example I would feel the need to throw up or just plain have a knot in my stomach. The mechanism was always in action but different organs were feeling the strain. (I'd like to add here that I have NEVER flushed once the night has kicked off and I am drunk, happy and relaxed!)

I know for sure that my rosacea symptoms began to develop around the time I was diagnosed with UC. I also know that it is almost the exact same triggers that have an acute reaction on my UC that have an accute reaction on my rosacea (i.e. stress, alcohol, anxiety, spicy food, caffeine).

This is why I am so happy to see the progress in the treatment of IBD as per my post on the previous page. Who knows, when this treatment is brought to the market and it ends up helping patients with rosacea and IBD then a spin-off medicine would surely be developed to help those who suspect they have less severe versions of IBD. Keep your eyes on the Irish lads, we have a strong tradition in the treatment of this area! A doctor in my city was on the road to curing some of these conditions using gene therapy but packed it all in to be an adventurer. Honestly!! Just saw her on the nine o clock news returning from the summit of Mount Everest! But the lads in Dublin have kept their eyes on the prize and are now receiving large-scale funding for their work on the permeability of the gut. They have also teamed up with a Denver based institute who were working on the same idea almost coincidentally.

I hope this clears a few things up about IBD and its relationship to rosacea.

Thanks for listening!
      C

Comment

Yes, but how looks the treatment

Comment

and I am sure this treatment would be a long ways away, right? All this tallk about oxygen reminds me of the post how this girls father had really bad rosacea and he started going in a oxygen tank for some other disease and he is cured of his rosacea...Jenn
          Please hurry Sansrosa!!!

Comment

my gut/rosacea experience

Hi all
            Just wanted to relay that my rosacea has been helped tremendously by the addition of HCL capsules with meals and snacks and B-12 shots (I am being supervised by an MD by the way). Anyway, it's kind of interesting because it's been like a month and my chronic swelling is going away. It's especially weird because when I smile it was always kind of crooked and it's starting to straighten out! I know I've had this crooked smile thing going on for years because I remember someone in middle school pointing it out to me (nice friend to have, eh?) The left side of my face was always more swollen, so it would distort my face (it isn't as bad as it sounds, I hope).

In addition, the two times in my life (since puberty or so) that I've been in remission has been when I drastically changed my diet.

Hope this helps someone whose rosacea is being caused by the same thing. Unfortunately, I am hypothyroid so I get swelling around the sides of my face (moonface) still but at least the rosacea swelling is going down...yay! Kind of weird that I have 2 facial things going on at once...I must have been exceedingly vain in a previous life!
            Regards to all,
            Queta
            "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
            Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

You wanna say that you dont have rosacea?

Comment

wanna say that I don't have rosacea?

Hi
                I'd love to say that, but I'd be lying. I still can't drink, eat spicy foods or citrus, etc. etc. etc. I am getting it under control, however. We'll see. There's been a lot of lymphatic damage in my face so I still swell when I do the aforementioned. The symptoms are just improving a lot.
                Queta
                "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
                Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Has anybody tried glutamine yet? What's the best form to take it? Where can I get it? Any information would be appreciated.

Comment

You need L-Glutamine and the cheapest way to buy it is in powder form.There'e loads of internet sites selling it and it should be available in most health stores ... it will be with the stuff for body builders. I suggest that you don't use it late in the day as it can stop you from sleeping.

Comment

Back on topic for a moment...

I just finished reading an extremely concise and well-thought-out book about IBS by an MD who claims a very high rate of remission by correcting SIBO with rifaximin and/or oral neomycin, since they're almost equivalent in the degree to which they're systemically absorbed (only about 5% or less.) Coincidentally, it's about the same rate that these guys saw with rosacea. It seems to me that if rifaximin has such a startling rate of success with rosacea, then if the SIBO hypothesis is correct, oral neomycin should perform comparably. I can't find anything in the literature, however. It may never have been studied. Anyone out there have any resources I don't?
                      "Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained."
                      - William Blake

Comment

What is the name of the book?

Comment

It's called "A New IBS Solution" by Mark Pimentel.

http://www.anewibssolution.com/

It's a very quick read, and very well done for a "popular" work of this type. And he's not selling anything, as far as I can determine. In fact, he explicitly states that he doesn't like "cures" that require lifetime maintenance.

The gist is that he believes IBS is actually SIBO in the majority of cases. He's very specific about how breath tests need to be performed to determine this. If the breath tests are positive, there are two things that need to be corrected. First the bacterial overgrowth itself, for which he uses a relatively standard course of rifaximin, neomycin, or both. Second is small intestinal "cleansing wave" motility which can be stimulated by low doses of either Zelnorm, or Erythromycin, which he maintains for three months.

There's more to the book, obviously. He claims a pretty high success rate, but admits that some patients relapse, requiring further treatment.

The interesting thing to me is that his rate of improvement of IBS with rifaximin seems eerily similar to the rate reported with rosacea and rifaximin.

Tantalizing stuff.
                          "Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained."
                          - William Blake

Comment

So who's gonna get this breath test done and take rifaximin, neomycin?? Now this would be an awesome experiement!
                            Dx 1998

Comment

This is so interesting. The connection between chronic bacterial infections and rosacea. And similar in thought to the cpn theory.

http://www.cpnhelp.org/?q=facing_cure_reds_rosacea_

Comment

Well, in my case, I was diagnosed with IBS years ago by an old gastroenterologist who has since retired. He put me on hyoscyamine as a bowel relaxant. Henbane, for chrissakes! Anyway, I never finished the meds since they didn't do much. I just decided to live with it, since it was fairly mild. At the time it would manifest mostly as occasional cramping and (cough) flatulence.

Anyway, as I think back, that would be roughly the same period in my life that I began to notice the facial itching. Memory being what it is, however, I wouldn't take that as scientific.

Still, I do have the IBS symptoms to this day, and they have been intensifying over the last few years. Perhaps coincidentally, I've gotten fed up enough with the rosacea symptoms to join a forum and get militant about it. I really wonder if there is a valid connection here.

I think in March I'll go see my GP and ask for a referral to a new, younger gastro, and not even mention the rosacea - see if I can't get someone to walk me through this IBS protocol.
                                - William Blake

Comment

Working...
                                X